Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official- NFLPA appeal Ray rice suspension

ColtsBlueFL

I am actually intrigued by this new wrinkle in this case because the double jeopardy argument is right on point. 1st Ray got a 2 game suspension & then an indefinite suspension from the league. He was essentially punished for the same infraction twice. However, I do not know if the CBA gives the Commissioner the right to alter his original disciplinary ruling under any unique loopholes or extenuating circumstances subject to Goodell's discretion though.

That's where this incident get tricky: Just how far the NFL Commissioner's authority extends meaning his power to modify punishment based on new findings or developments courtesy of the latest CBA. 

I think from a union standpoint he has a case, but the Ravens are just no longer interested in Ray Rice as a player. The Ravens organization made mistakes, have learned and apologized for it, and moved on. Ray's actions put a negative light on

the organization, but hopefully he will rehabilitate himself, and be the kind of husband and father he is expected to be.

I think his suspension will get reduced. An indefinite suspension won't be upheld as long as they bring an arbitrator. Even if the suspension is reduced to 8 games or whatever they decide to reduce it to, the owners will probably have a handshake agreement that no team will sign him this season, and then next year no team will offer him much more than a minimum salary contract offer. 

They should simply apply the new domestic violence policy retroactively.  6 game suspension for first offense.  When the NFLPA complains just tell them they are applying the same exact standard that the union demanded be applied to the drug policy, that because the policy is rapidly evolving that it be applied retroactively to the beginning of the league year.

TRich is correct about a gentlemen's agreement to not sign him this year and they could all cover it by simply saying there is just too much media heat right now but that they will consider signing him once it dies down a bit.  As for the one year minimum contract idea, whoever signed him for that would get one heck of a bargain.

I think his suspension will get reduced. An indefinite suspension won't be upheld as long as they bring an arbitrator. Even if the suspension is reduced to 8 games or whatever they decide to reduce it to, the owners will probably have a handshake agreement that no team will sign him this season, and then next year no team will offer him much more than a minimum salary contract offer. 

I doubt you would get a gentleman's agreement not to sign him but you probably won't need it.

Signing Ray Rice at this point would hurt a team's relationship with it's fans and the community.  Every team has to know this and no player is worth alienating your fans for.

Maybe when the media heat dies down he can be signed again but his name is trashed and honestly he's probably done for.  

I doubt you would get a gentleman's agreement not to sign him but you probably won't need it.

Signing Ray Rice at this point would hurt a team's relationship with it's fans and the community.  Every team has to know this and no player is worth alienating your fans for.

Maybe when the media heat dies down he can be signed again but his name is trashed and honestly he's probably done for.  

Greg Hardy, Donte Stallworth, Michael Vick, Pacman Jones, Brandon Marshall, Leonard Little and Ray Lewis all had similar or worst crimes and played in the NFL again. I doubt very seriously we've seen the end of Rice. After time passes by people won't care nearly this much. 

Greg Hardy, Donte Stallworth, Michael Vick, Pacman Jones, Brandon Marshall, Leonard Little and Ray Lewis all had similar or worst crimes and played in the NFL again. I doubt very seriously we've seen the end of Rice. After time passes by people won't care nearly this much. 

Yes, Rice will be back.  I don't think Hardy's discipline from the league is finished yet, as he has just been put on the Exempt list like Peterson.  And If Vick can get back in, Ray Rice certainly can.