Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many still think TY Hilton is a number one receiver?

Bruiser

Catches   Targets     Yards                                         Long play

T.Y. Hilton IND 2   11  22  106 53.0  9.6  16  1.0  8  0    0  0 

I read that lots of people thought TY would easily be a starter in Denver. I didn't think so then and I sure don't think so now. Especially with Welker coming back from suspension, I don't think any Colts receiver cracks that starting lineup but that is just my opinion. Their new receiver is playing great in replace of Eric Decker. It does make a difference on who the is QB throwing the ball.

Emmanuel Sanders DEN 2   14  18  185 92.5  13.2  48  3.4  7  0    0  0   

I don't think TY is a #1. He's a good #2. He has exceptional speed and pretty decent hands. I think his route running is good. He's a good complimentary receiver and his forte is getting deep behind defenses. Unfortunately you need a good pass blocking offensive line in order to take full advantage of that kind of a receiver and right now we don't have that.

I don't think TY is a number 1.  I think he is a decent change of pace guy as a number 2 or more likely number 3 - a guy that can pull off the big play.  

Honestly, I'd rather see Moncrief in there, but I understand that he is likely too green at this point in familiarity with the play book.

For how awesome TY is at stretching the field, why didn't we test the philly secondary with deep passes to him last night?????

We had one deep throw to him. It look like DPI to me, but I was waiting for a play action deep to him. With the way we were running last night, I can't believe we didn't try.

Is it possible that T.Y. is actually a very good receiver, capable of being a #1 receiver, but we are pretending to be a smash mouth football team? 

What if we ran Philly's offense instead? In my opinion, he's better than Maclin or Riley Cooper and we would all be thinking " I wish we had that guy." 

Instead, we do have him. He's a great talent, and we complain. Ridiculous.

Why do we need to put numbers on a guy. He is a starter...he deserves to start and he puts pressure on the back end of a defense. If he is utilized correctly he can very easily be our Desean Jackson/Emanual Sanders type burner. No he is probably not the carry the offense type of move the chains style receiver that Reggie was or say Andre Johnson but I think we could utilize him more in the under neath game and get him in space and to test him deep a couple times a game. #1, #2, #3...I don't care...just use him.

I agree the big dissappointment has been Nicks....he hasn't been that much of an upgrade over DHB really to be honest. I know its just two games but he hasn't been that big target over the middle or anywhere really to bail us out on 3rd down....we still rely on Reggie. Shoot when a rookie comes in and has to tell Nicks where to line up...that tells me A LOT! I would almost rather see Moncrief get more snaps.

How many are willing to admit, in the off season they thought he would be a #1?

I'll give you more respect for admitting you were wrong than hiding from it. 

Listen, I don't think T.Y. is the problem We ran the ball more than we threw it yesterday. For whatever reason, the coaching staff is Heii bent on making the Colts a smash mouth football team, despite having a dynamic receiving corps.

As I said earlier, where would T.Y. be on the Eagles? He'd be a star in that offense. When we air it out, he's a star in our offense. Instead, we attempt 5-yard passes with our speed receiver.

Listen, I don't think T.Y. is the problem We ran the ball more than we threw it yesterday. For whatever reason, the coaching staff is Heii bent on making the Colts a smash mouth football team, despite having a dynamic receiving corps.

As I said earlier, where would T.Y. be on the Eagles? He'd be a star in that offense. When we air it out, he's a star in our offense. Instead, we attempt 5-yard passes with our speed receiver.

Kelly doesn't like little guys. He got rid of Jackson and brought in that kid from Vandy, Mathews. All of his receivers are big, the shortest one is Maclin and he came back on a one year deal. 

He would be the number one in Cleveland, that's for sure

Not for sure, Andrew Hawkins has 157 receiving yards, more than anyone on the Colts and without Andrew Luck. 

It's been 2 games! Wait until the season is over before you strut around and sing your praises.

1st game the Colts had 53 passing plays and 9 running plays... and, despite the final score, were beat pretty easily.  2nd game they had 38 passing plays (4 of which Luck ran instead of throwing) and 34 running plays and they nearly (and should have won).

Additionally, the Colts run a man blocking scheme, have big RBs and two of their 3 TEs are good run blockers... The Colts should be a smash mouth football team and if the offense plays like it did last night, they will win a lot more games then they will lose this year.

Well, if it means having the respect of BpG then.... :rolleyes:

In the offseason I thought TY was a number 1 receiver, I have not changed my mind in the slightest from the first two games.

1st game the Colts had 53 passing plays and 9 running plays... and, despite the final score, were beat pretty easily.  2nd game they had 38 passing plays (4 of which Luck ran instead of throwing) and 34 running plays and they nearly (and should have won).

Additionally, the Colts run a man blocking scheme, have big RBs and two of their 3 TEs are good run blockers... The Colts should be a smash mouth football team and if the offense plays like it did last night, they will win a lot more games then they will lose this year.

The Colts personnel that you have mentioned would be fine running most offenses, as they are good players. I feel that their talent is not being utilized to their maximum potential, and especially in a smash mouth style of scheme. Being a good run blocker will work in all offenses. 

My comment regarding smash mouth was more about what we've been attempting to build on offense since Pagano has been hired. He really wants a smash mouth style of offense, for whatever reason. This is based on his comments over the years here, and our unwillingness to go away from it, even when it hasn't worked for the most part. Last night was a pleasant exception.

I think we are in agreement regarding T.Y.? He Had a 200-yard game in the playoffs followed by a 100-yard game in the playoffs. Let'snot forget about that and only remember two games in which the offense seemed out of sorts overall. T.Y. is fine. He will continue to impress us, just as he has done since day 1.

The Colts personnel that you have mentioned would be fine running most offenses, as they are good players. I feel that their talent is not being utilized to their maximum potential, and especially in a smash mouth style of scheme. Being a good run blocker will work in all offenses. 

T.Y. Had a 200-yard game in the playoffs followed by a 100-yard game in the playoffs. Let'snot forget about that and only remember two games in which the offense seemed out of sorts overall. T.Y. is fine. He will continue to impress us, just as he has done since day 1.

I don't have an issue with TY.  Thus the reason I still think he is a #1 WR caliber player.

I don't have an issue with TY.  Thus the reason I still think he is a #1 WR caliber player.

My apologies, Coffedrinker. I was actually editing my reply to you when you responded to this post. Please see my updated response. I will always try to have a civilized response and look for discussion rather than argument.

Luck has been avoiding nicks for the most part

That's because the guy is almost never open.  Luck has to throw it into a tight window too close to the defender.

This is also one reason the Giants let him go...he wasn't getting open. Rogers has this problem to a certain degree as well but overcomes a lot of it with his size and physical ability to out-muscle the defender. Griff gets open just fine and Moncrief as well.

I think the young guys should get more plays-from-scrimmage and Nicks get less.