The INT when TY was clearly interfered with

lollygagger8

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ran the ball on 3rd down burning more clock and preserving the FG, chances are we are not talking about it now.

Bingo!! Is it true that there was tape showing our kicker saying that was a stupid call? I have read that somewhere or perhaps it was Andrew who was seen muttering that, I don't recall.

If you ran the ball on 3rd down burning more clock and preserving the FG, chances are we are not talking about it now.

Why you would throw the ball up 7, in field goal range, with one of the greatest kickers in history.

Full potato. 

and if anything that could also be offensive pass interference. 

our defense was gassed. eagles would have scored easily

They might have been gassed but they would have only been able to score 7. Then we would have gotten the ball back with the lead. Which we probably ran 3 times in a row and went 3 and out but we never got to that point.

They might have been gassed but they would have only been able to score 7. Then we would have gotten the ball back with the lead. Which we probably ran 3 times in a row and went 3 and out but we never got to that point.

the eagles would have got the ball back with 5 mins left. I highly doubt it would have taken them any longer then 1 min to score a fg or td. 

Yep. When you know a team is down 2 scores, you can amp. the pressure up with blitzes. If it is just one score, you take less risks on D, IMO.

Yeah, on that last set of downs, when it was first and ten and in field goal range, I looked at my wife and said we should do nothing but run the ball from this point on, whether we get another first down or not. The clock still runs and the Colts are probably up by two scores with less than 5 minutes to go - unless of course you force the Eagles to burn timeouts at that point. Fate was tempted with that third down pass attempt and we got burned for it.

Yep. When you know a team is down 2 scores, you can amp. the pressure up with blitzes. If it is just one score, you take less risks on D, IMO.

Not going to lie. Usually I don't get to worked up over games but this one just sucked. If pep does not improve over the year he needs to go. We need someone that going to help develope Luck bit hinder his growth. Trent ran well but he needs to hold onto the ball or grab a seat on the pine. So many weapons just being wasted. Steaming mad! Lol

Maybe, maybe not.  But I would have rather the Eagles scored when the Colts had a 10 point lead rather than a 7 point lead.

theres no guarantee adam would have made the kick. its crazy how you guys complain about pep being conservative and then complain how pep is being aggressive. ty didnt even have enough for a first. luck threw it to get a flag 

theres no guarantee adam would have made the kick. its crazy how you guys complain about pep being conservative and then complain how pep is being aggressive. ty didnt even have enough for a first. luck threw it to get a flag 

It is called situational play calling.

When you have a lead, you run to burn clock because the clock is your friend. When you are tied and have to break the tie or are playing from behind, you pass to get yardage since the clock is not your friend. I would think that is play calling 101.

When you have a lead, you run to burn clock because the clock is your friend. When you are tied and have to break the tie or are playing from behind, you pass to get yardage since the clock is not your friend. I would think that is play calling 101.

I think those pages are missing from Pep's book. 

We can talk about the hold which it was and a bogus call BUT is there any doubt that it was going to be picked?  TY was bracketed and the pass was going nowhere but to the Eagles. Just throw it away. I don't care about the pass play call from Pep as Luck is supposed to be the type of QB you can trust in that spot to hit an open guy or throw it away.

We can talk about the hold which it was and a bogus call BUT is there any doubt that it was going to be picked? TY was bracketed and the pass was going nowhere but to the Eagles. Just throw it away. I don't care about the pass play call from Pep as Luck is supposed to be the type of QB you can trust in that spot to hit an open guy or throw it away.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with you here. Had T.Y. Not been held, it would've been complete for a first down. At the very least, T.Y. Would've taken a hard hit from the safety coming fast from behind and it would've been an incomplete pass.

not when youre in a situation of facing an offense that can score at will.

Well now, obviously there is no guarantee that Luck completes the pass either is there?  Also that is a silly argument; if the pass had been incomplete the Colts would have kicked a FG.

I'm not complaining about Pep but you have to look at the situation.  The Colts are on the 22, so it's a 40 yard FG (something AV makes regularly) and with the zone coverage the Eagles played all night there is a good chance a run would have gained another 4 or 5 yards.

No, a pass was not the right call in that situation.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with you here. Had T.Y. Not been held, it would've been complete for a first down. At the very least, T.Y. Would've taken a hard hit from the safety coming fast from behind and it would've been an incomplete pass.

The safety was already breaking on the pass. He was there. Maybe not a pick but def. not a completion.

They just said on first take that the contact happened within first five yards as well so the penalty is not as clear cut as I first thought. He was bumped but TY then stumbled.

Well now, obviously there is no guarantee that Luck completes the pass either is there?  Also that is a silly argument; if the pass had been incomplete the Colts would have kicked a FG.

I'm not complaining about Pep but you have to look at the situation.  The Colts are on the 22, so it's a 40 yard FG (something AV makes regularly) and with the zone coverage the Eagles played all night there is a good chance a run would have gained another 4 or 5 yards.

No, a pass was not the right call in that situation.

my point is, the colts wanted the drive to continue because they knew at that point of the game their defense was too tired to stop the eagles from scoring

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/04/horse-collar-rule-will-be-a-point-of-emphasis-in-2012/

The horse collar became a point of emphasis in 2012. It used to be that you had to grab around the pads for the call but if a player is grabbed by the jersey and bent backwards than it is a horse collar. The refs have called that play that way for some time now.

As for the TY play. Looked like holding to me but bad decision by Luck to throw with the safety reading him all the way. Just toss it away.

That was the right call. You can't grab any part of the back of the ball carrier from behind. He grabbed his shirt and yanked him down.

What rule book are you looking at??? 

One of the Philly defenders did the same exact thing to TY Hilton (pulling him down by his jersey) and they never called it on him. 

No it does not. Look up the rule. Any attempt by the defensive player to take a player down from behind by the pads OR jersey causing knees to buckle is a horse collar.

I've read the rule, "Article 15: Horse-Collar Tackle. No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey 

pads or jersey, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a 
quarterback who is in the pocket. 
Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees 
are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground. "

This is where understanding of the English language comes into play; everything after "insider collar" are prepositional phrases which means that what precedes the prep. phrase must happen.  So in order for it to be a horse collar the hand must be inside the collar either on the back or the side.  This was not the case, the hand was never inside the jersey or pads.

my point is, the colts wanted the drive to continue because they knew at that point of the game their defense was too tired to stop the eagles from scoring

I understand your point but you are incorrect.  if the defense is tired and can't stop the other team from scoring then the right thing to do is to go up by two scores.

I've read the rule, "Article 15: Horse-Collar Tackle. No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey 

pads or jersey, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a 
quarterback who is in the pocket. 
Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees 
are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground. "

This is where understanding of the English language comes into play; everything after "insider collar" are prepositional phrases which means that what precedes the prep. phrase must happen.  So in order for it to be a horse collar the hand must be inside the collar either on the back or the side.  This was not the case, the hand was never inside the jersey or pads.

"No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads OR JERSEY."

The prep is an "or" not an "and." Meaning either or. His jersey was grabbed and yanked down. It was a penalty.

I understand your point but you are incorrect.  if the defense is tired and can't stop the other team from scoring then the right thing to do is to go up by two scores.

there was 5 mins left and the eagles had two time outs. you really think the eagles couldnt score twice