Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles!

BlueShoe

Congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles! The Eagles are a very good football team, and wore our defense out. Sproles has been a nemesis of the Colts ever since he entered the league. Plain and simple, the Eagles were the better team last night. If our Colts can go on a winning streak then maybe we will get a chance to do it again, in the Super Bowl. We have a long way to go though.

I want to apologize for the poor manners of the Colts fan base. As you can probably guess, most of the Colts fans are spoiled rotten, and do not know what it is like to lose. The younger generation of our fan base (26 and under) only know Colts football with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. They never had to experience the carousel ride of horrible quarterbacks from the 80's to the mid 90's, or several losing seasons. Hence when we lose 2 games in a row; the knee jerk reactions calling for the entire team to be dismantled.

This behavior is embarrassing. We teach our kids that when we lose at anything, to congratulate the opponent for a good game. Good game Eagles! Nice win! It is not that hard to do. Instead most of the fans on this board need to place blame somewhere, to make sense of it all, and continuously show poor sportsmanship in the process.

I understand there is an emotional attachment that parallels ebbs and flows with wins and losses, and any fan who loves his team is not prone to this. That does not give fans any justification to turn into jerks. People wanted Rogers head to roll after he punted a ball in a preseason game, and yet condone their own actions when they lose control on a message board, because the Colts lost. What is the difference? It is called controlling your emotions, and it is one of the most important pieces of our selves that we pass down to our children.

When I first saw this schedule, I said to myself, we could go 0-2, and still be a top 5 team. This is the reality of the NFL in 2014. There are things our Colts need to improve on, and they either will or they won't. As a fan base, we need to learn what class is, no matter how many wins we have. We have all witnessed what class is; taught by several class acts in the Colts organization. For some reason it is not trickling down to the fan base though.

I don't know what game you was watching. Clearly wasn't the better team but got the better calls.....

IMO bad calls from zebras have major effect, but can't be blamed exclusively for the loss. Bad play-calls, over-emphasizing running game, fumble, D's shortcommings in containing RBs after Art Johnes went down, not exploiting Andrew Luck's abilities and talent: those all contributed to the loss. We were the better team, or equal for 3 quarters, but a game has 4 quarters.

Congrats to Philadelphia!

Colts has a lot to figure out to improve performance significantly.

There's no way eagles should if won. The out up some points in the second half sure. But no way they should have won. 2 plays on offense killed us. One being the fumble that resulted in a td. Lucks int in the redzone when we had no business throwing. Just needed a fg to go up 10. The eagles did NOT beat the Colts. We beat ourself.

Cooper pulling Davis into him drawing the bogus PI call gifted them a TD.  TY getting mugged (with no penalty) aided in the INT call, and Landry's horsecollar penalty that wasn't a horsecollar, was also craptastic.  The Colts did shoot themselves in the foot, but the refs sure did aid Philly a whole lot.  If I wasn't at the stadium myself I would've thought this game was in Philly with the way it was officiated.  

I had $50 on this game, and I'm not really upset THAT we lost, but HOW we lost!  Eagles played well enough to win, but Indy and the refs made it a heck of a lot easier.  Colts looked A LOT better that Phi, but the difference makers were: A couple huge plays by Eagles offense 50+ yard gains.  Colts turnovers in critical spots and times and the refs (horse collar and huge no call for PI on TY allowing Eagles to get an INT.  It seemed the Colts controlled the game most of the time, then Phi had a huge play capped by a TD then a turnover handing the Eagles an easy opportunity to get right back in it.  I hate being 0-2 but that being said a lot of good teams have 1 loss and Saints have 2 also.  I still think 12 wins is possible with our schedule.  As a matter of fact I'm already feeling sorry for those Jags next week, and some of the other opponents coming up. 

Congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles for paying off those refs!!! 

Bolonga PI call against Vontae on Cooper. 

COMPLETELY MADE UP call on Landry with the horse collar tackle that never even happened

TOTAL BOGUS call on the Luck INT when the defender pulls TY to the ground. 

Eagles had no business getting any of those calls. None. 

Those refs should've been booed right out of LOS. 

I had $50 on this game, and I'm not really upset THAT we lost, but HOW we lost!  Eagles played well enough to win, but Indy and the refs made it a heck of a lot easier.  Colts looked A LOT better that Phi, but the difference makers were: A couple huge plays by Eagles offense 50+ yard gains.  Colts turnovers in critical spots and times and the refs (horse collar and huge no call for PI on TY allowing Eagles to get an INT.  It seemed the Colts controlled the game most of the time, then Phi had a huge play capped by a TD then a turnover handing the Eagles an easy opportunity to get right back in it.  I hate being 0-2 but that being said a lot of good teams have 1 loss and Saints have 2 also.  I still think 12 wins is possible with our schedule.  As a matter of fact I'm already feeling sorry for those Jags next week, and some of the other opponents coming up. 

That would mean 12-2 the rest of the way. I don't think that is going to happen. I still think we lose at least one to Houston and Tennessee and even Jacksonville @ Jacksonsville could be dangerous. I can see Dallas giving us all kinds of problems. I think 10-6 is more likely but we will have to see how it plays out.

I don't think the Eagles are happy with the way they won and I know they recognize the refs made 2 huge mistakes that ultimately cost the Colts.

They have a lot of work to do just like us.

They are as happy as clams to have won no matter how it happened. A win is a win in the NFL and everyone is well earned no matter if some bad calls were made. If the Colts had played well, they calls wouldn't have mattered. They didn't put the Eagles away, pure and simple.

Congrats to the Eagles for a well deserved win.  Sproles was unbelievable, McCoy hurt us many times, Foles was on fire, we just couldn't stop the Eagles (even with legal tackles, players being interfered with, bad play calling, banged up roster, & overall better talent), again, congrats Philly.

They are as happy as clams to have won no matter how it happened. A win is a win in the NFL and everyone is well earned no matter if some bad calls were made. If the Colts had played well, they calls wouldn't have mattered. They didn't put the Eagles away, pure and simple.

They tried to put them away. The refs stopped them.

Congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles! The Eagles are a very good football team, and wore our defense out. Sproles has been a nemesis of the Colts ever since he entered the league. Plain and simple, the Eagles were the better team last night. If our Colts can go on a winning streak then maybe we will get a chance to do it again, in the Super Bowl. We have a long way to go though.

I want to apologize for the poor manners of the Colts fan base. As you can probably guess, most of the Colts fans are spoiled rotten, and do not know what it is like to lose. The younger generation of our fan base (26 and under) only know Colts football with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. They never had to experience the carousel ride of horrible quarterbacks from the 80's to the mid 90's, or several losing seasons. Hence when we lose 2 games in a row; the knee jerk reactions calling for the entire team to be dismantled.

This behavior is embarrassing. We teach our kids that when we lose at anything, to congratulate the opponent for a good game. Good game Eagles! Nice win! It is not that hard to do. Instead most of the fans on this board need to place blame somewhere, to make sense of it all, and continuously show poor sportsmanship in the process.

I understand there is an emotional attachment that parallels ebbs and flows with wins and losses, and any fan who loves his team is not prone to this. That does not give fans any justification to turn into jerks. People wanted Rogers head to roll after he punted a ball in a preseason game, and yet condone their own actions when they lose control on a message board, because the Colts lost. What is the difference? It is called controlling your emotions, and it is one of the most important pieces of our selves that we pass down to our children.

When I first saw this schedule, I said to myself, we could go 0-2, and still be a top 5 team. This is the reality of the NFL in 2014. There are things our Colts need to improve on, and they either will or they won't. As a fan base, we need to learn what class is, no matter how many wins we have. We have all witnessed what class is; taught by several class acts in the Colts organization. For some reason it is not trickling down to the fan base though.

Classy post.   Best of luck the rest of the way.

Cooper's PI was not a terrible call.   the PI non call was pretty bad.    The Eagles got burned by the exact same type of horsecollar call last weekend...it seems you dont have to actually grab the collar any more.

Cooper pulling Davis into him drawing the bogus PI call gifted them a TD.  TY getting mugged (with no penalty) aided in the INT call, and Landry's horsecollar penalty that wasn't a horsecollar, was also craptastic.  The Colts did shoot themselves in the foot, but the refs sure did aid Philly a whole lot.  If I wasn't at the stadium myself I would've thought this game was in Philly with the way it was officiated.  

yea and the Eagles did nothing to win that game.

I never said that. You're putting words in my mouth.

The Eagles just took advantage of the bad calls. That's good on the Eagles to capitalize on that.

I'm just saying it shouldn't have come down to that.

I'd just like consistent refereeing.

That would mean 12-2 the rest of the way. I don't think that is going to happen. I still think we lose at least one to Houston and Tennessee and even Jacksonville @ Jacksonsville could be dangerous. I can see Dallas giving us all kinds of problems. I think 10-6 is more likely but we will have to see how it plays out.

It's tough to go 12-2, but that's how much confidence I have in this team.  Jacksonville or Tennessee will NOT beat us, Houston could pull one out but I dont see that happening either.  I think the only teams we could lose to is NE BAL CIN or DAL and I believe we win at least 2 of those.

Excuse me while I puke . 

I get what you are saying on a big picture level Blueshoe, but I have to be candid here. I personally take offense to what I bolded in your post. I need to learn what class is? Seriously? No offense sir but that comes across as all knowing nonsense. I understand what point you were trying to make about being patient & supporting the team & it's coaches but the sentence "As a fan base, we need to learn what class is" is not the best way to make friends & influence people around here. 

Your intentions were honorable, but your execution fell far short of it's ultimate goal & it fostered resentment & backlash vs unity & cohesion. Generally, it's never a good idea to imply you possess class & integrity & I unfortunately do not. Please keep that lesson in mind for future posts. I'm trying to help you avoid any unnecessary friction in future Blueshoe.  

Also, if you're going to write a post praising the Eagles for winning a game that went down to the wire which INDY lost at home, please remember that our emotions are still angry & raw over the loss in a game we should have won & then a Colts fan writes a reply scolding people for not turning the other cheek yet less than 24 hours later? You have to be reasonable sir & understand that many fans are still trying to digest the loss & the last thing we are ready to do right now is get in a circle, hold hands, sing kumbaya, & brush it all under the rug so swiftly. 

The Eagles will have nothing left in the gas tank at the end of the season playing at

this blistering pace. The NFL season is a marathon and not a sprint so they will

find their wheels falling off soon enough.

hmmm, played the same style last year and went 7 and 1 the 2nd half.    

I never said that. You're putting words in my mouth.

The Eagles just took advantage of the bad calls. That's good on the Eagles to capitalize on that.

I'm just saying it shouldn't have come down to that.

I'd just like consistent refereeing.

good luck with that.   nfl refs suck...they are color blind though in their suckiness.

Eagles fan here in peace.

I have been on this board since Wednesday leading up to this game and have enjoyed and respected many of the Colts fans insights on our up coming matchup. Both Fan bases knew this was going to be a battle and we were not disappointed. 

Many of the complaints I have read have centered on either the play calling or the penalties and I wanted the opportunity to make a couple counter points that you may but most likely wont agree with but for my own piece of mind im going to make them anyway.

As far as the pass interference call. 

The contact was legal because it happened within the 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. TY Hilton Ran a terrible route, gave up on the play and tried to draw a penalty. If it only takes that little bit of contact to bring an NFL caliber Wr down, than sign me up!

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/16/6160691/eagles-vs-colts-officials-missed-penalty

The Horse collar tackle was a missed call no question about it and was a 15 yard benefit to the Eagles, however it was 2nd down and would have been third and 6 in two down territory against a gassed colts defense. Would they have made the first down without the penalty? We will never know, however that is not something that the game hinged on.

Play Calling.

I keep reading that complaint over and over and We Eagles fans have the same exact complaint. 3 trips to the red zone in the first half produced 3 points. 3 TE @ RB sets instead of spreading the Colts D out and Using McCoy, Sproles  Ertz or Celek in the flats instead of up the middle. The Eagles score touchdowns instead of field goals and we are not even having this conversation. Bad Calls happen its part of the game and what a great game that was. Good luck the rest of the way

Eagles fan here in peace.

I have been on this board since Wednesday leading up to this game and have enjoyed and respected many of the Colts fans insights on our up coming matchup. Both Fan bases knew this was going to be a battle and we were not disappointed.

Many of the complaints I have read have centered on either the play calling or the penalties and I wanted the opportunity to make a couple counter points that you may but most likely wont agree with but for my own piece of mind im going to make them anyway.

As far as the pass interference call.

The contact was legal because it happened within the 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. TY Hilton Ran a terrible route, gave up on the play and tried to draw a penalty. If it only takes that little bit of contact to bring an NFL caliber Wr down, than sign me up!

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/16/6160691/eagles-vs-colts-officials-missed-penalty

The Horse collar tackle was a missed call no question about it and was a 15 yard benefit to the Eagles, however it was 2nd down and would have been third and 6 in two down territory against a gassed colts defense. Would they have made the first down without the penalty? We will never know, however that is not something that the game hinged on.

Play Calling.

I keep reading that complaint over and over and We Eagles fans have the same exact complaint. 3 trips to the red zone in the first half produced 3 points. 3 TE @ RB sets instead of spreading the Colts D out and Using McCoy, Sproles Ertz or Celek in the flats instead of up the middle. The Eagles score touchdowns instead of field goals and we are not even having this conversation. Bad Calls happen its part of the game and what a great game that was. Good luck the rest of the way

If it isn't illegal contact, then it's holding. If it isn't holding then it's DPI.

Boykin clearly grabbed TY's shoulder bad and kept him from making his cut resulting in the interception.

If it isn't illegal contact, then it's holding. If it isn't holding then it's DPI.

Boykin clearly grabbed TY's shoulder bad and kept him from making his cut resulting in the interception.

Here is the play http://www.sbnation....-missed-penalty

Its within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage so contact is allowed so illegal contact isnt relevant. He gets his hands on his shoulder pads but doesnt hold or push him. This is football  Sure they could have called it, but it would have been ticky tac. Shouldnt have been throwing the ball there in the first place. look how close they were.... Good game 

First and formost I want to thank the OP.  Very classy post.  Much respect.

Second.  To everyone whining about the refs and saying how the Eagles were not the better team.  Let me remind you that bad calls go both ways.  There was some holding that went uncalled.  Also the Eagles had more flags on them and also for more yardage.

3rd.  The game honestly wouldnt of been close had the Eagles of not shot themselfs in the foot constantly throughout the first half.  Jumping off sides 3 times on 3rd and 4 pretty much handing you guys a fresh set of downs.  Riley Cooper dropping an easy TD catch.  Missing a FG, terrible redzone playcalling, etc...  The game honestly was much closer towards the end then it should have been...

4th.  I do not consider the interception play to be a PI.  It was within the 5 yards and to be honest...  Anyone with an unbiased eye can tell that Hilton took a flop to try and over-sell it being a foul.  They say the ball was in the air durring contact?  Thats funny because Hilton was ALREADY on the ground before the lazor pass even went by.  The bogus Horsecallor Idk.  Eagles had the exact same thing called on them last week and the boss official that was part of the broadcast said it was indeed a horsecaller because in the rule book it does say "inside pads "OR" jersey).  but tbh we still had 3rd and probably 4th down to get a 1st and the way your defense was gassed we probably pick it up anyways. 

Fact is the Eagles shot themselfs in the foot.  Beating themselfs the whole 1st half and still had the fire-power to come back and win tht game.  To me that makes them the better team.  Now if the Eagles can just remind themselfs that the game starts in the 1st quarter we would be nearly unstoppable...

I appreciate your post yet with all due respect, it isn't your place to apologize for Colts fans as each person is responsible for himself. Certainly, Philadelphia played a great game and Indy didn't as it is with any team on any day.  Colts fans do not owe any congratulations to any team's fans that win nor any trash talking to any team's fans that didn't.  That is between the players as the fans do not play the game.  

I get what you are saying on a big picture level Blueshoe, but I have to be candid here. I personally take offense to what I bolded in your post. I need to learn what class is? Seriously? No offense sir but that comes across as all knowing nonsense. I understand what point you were trying to make about being patient & supporting the team & it's coaches but the sentence "As a fan base, we need to learn what class is" is not the best way to make friends & influence people around here. 

I certainly understand what you are saying. I hear you.

That said, as a fan base we do need to learn how to handle defeat. I am not prone to this, and I am not standing on any pedestal. I did not always have this temperament. It is a learned trait to be humble, and this board needs a big dose of it. Every time the Colts lose, this forum goes crazy. People want to fire everyone, blame the referees, call our owner a nutcase, and so on. 

We forget the first rule in sports, and that is after the game is over, to congratulate the opponent and acknowledge the victory. Our players exchange handshakes and give the opponent respect. Our coach congratulates the opponent.

There is nothing wrong with fans talking through reasons why we each believe that we lost the game, and showing hurt feelings, but we do need to control our emotions better. If we blame the Eagles game on the referees then we are showing disrespect to the Eagles. The Eagles did what they had to do to win. Were they supposed to walk up to the refs and tell them to give the ball back to us? If we show the Eagle fans the respect, then they will be more likely to show us respect.

Case in point, I have a friend who is a huge Eagles fan, and he called me after the game. I told him, "Good game", and offered my congratulations. The next words out of his mouth were, "We (Eagles) had no business winning that game."

I appreciate your post yet with all due respect, it isn't your place to apologize for Colts fans as each person is responsible for himself. Certainly, Philadelphia played a great game and Indy didn't as it is with any team on any day.  Colts fans do not owe any congratulations to any team's fans that win nor any trash talking to any team's fans that didn't.  That is between the players as the fans do not play the game.  

And that is your opinion, based on your core values. Obviously mine are different. 

Here is the play http://www.sbnation....-missed-penalty

Its within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage so contact is allowed so illegal contact isnt relevant. He gets his hands on his shoulder pads but doesnt hold or push him. This is football Sure they could have called it, but it would have been ticky tac. Shouldnt have been throwing the ball there in the first place. look how close they were.... Good game

Ticky tac or not they need to call it since they were calling Ticky tac the rest of the game.

It's unacceptable that they missed that.