Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Too early to think in new HC?

3nk1du

Don't misunderstand me i really want to Chuck succeed as a Coach but he needs to understand that he has a once in a Generation QB and your motto can't be "Run the ball, stop the run" on this new NFL where the WR can't be touched, and if you just realize Luck is taking all the blame(we don't completely blame him) because he has blind trust on their Couches and he's always gonna take the blame(he deserves some) but Chuck and Grigson made really bad movements:

• Laron Landry(can't tackle property),RJF(good but not enough),Jackson(like RJF)
  • TR trade(we could got a pass rusher with that pick and this years draft there were really good RBs till 5th)
  • not addressing the pass rush problem(Werner was supposed to help not to resolve the pass rush issues),
  • not getting a Center( i mean Khaled Holmes 12 snaps weren't warranty) what if A.Q. didn't get cut? who would be the center Jack?, then who you trust to cover the LG? another injury-prone ?
  • FS ?? really we could made an aggressive offer to Jarius Byrd(we have way too much cap this year)I know that they are saving cap cause they are gonna pay Allen,Luck,Hilton,etc.

Good thing they have done:

• 2012 Draft
  • Getting a decent (above-average DL)
  • Re-sing Vontae Davis
  • Try to protect Luck(they have heavily invest on the OL)
  • Finding Diamonds in the rough 

I mean Chuck has developed into a great motivator and average HC, but he tries to play like SF or SEA when he doesn't have the personal, if you have T.Y., Reggie, Nicks, Allen, and you try to run and when you pass are passes with a specific target(Luck throw the ball even if his target is on Disadvantage but it's designed to that player) you are trying to force the things, i'm not an expert and i have zero experience coaching but when you watch those games where Luck throws or runs on those final moments you know that you have a special QB but you are wasting his talent with bad calls, i think Andrew is losing confidence because he blames himself of the loses and he is overthrowing sometimes or being inaccurate.

This is my first post i could be really wrong but i accept all the critics.  

BTW  I think Jon Gruden could resing ESPN if Grison/Irsay offer him to coach Luck.

Have a good day!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Keep Pagano, Fire Pep and give Chud the Keys to the offense

Luck also needs to be able to be himself. We are at our best in the no huddle/2 minute drill. I just don't understand how we can have the wr's and te's we do and our offense looks it struggled to get anything going last two games. There's never a flow until they're down. Or they blow it like we did last night. Throwing the ball when all we needed was a fg to go up 10. And running the ball over and over and go 3 and out on last drive. We have nothing for teams blitzes. Until we figure that out also, Luck will continue to have someone in his grill

The play calling and the ref's bad no call on the TY hold which turned interception and the horse-collar call that wasn't even horse-collar cost us the game. I thought the run game looked great and our O-Line looked much better (probably because Dwayne Allen was blocking the entire game...), but our defense LACKED big time. I kept reading about how the Eagle's O-Line lost 3 starters and we should get so much pressure on Foles, yada yada. Yeah... I saw a couple pressures, 2, that is not enough. We need some guys to step up fast or somehow get a pass rusher in here. But we all know those aren't easy to find and we probably won't make an attempt to get one either. :(

No Chuck is fine. It's Pep who needs to go. I hated his back to back runs he called late in the game. And the stupid formation he called with the TE and HB both lined up in the back only to fake the handoff to doyle and give it to the RB. That play couldn't have been more obvious, which is exactly why the Eagles were all over it.

I really hope next season, Chudzinski is the OC.

Hopefully Chud is snickering watching Pep call a game thinking to himself "Yep, I'm going to be the OC very soon."  Pep and his playcalling are more suited for maybe Pee Wee League football or a mediocre Middle School team.  Running it 2 downs in a row with the game tied was a super idea!  Worked out really terrific too, oh wait no it really didn't.  I don't believe that Pagano is the issue at all.  I do believe that Grigson needs to make some better decisions and I do believe that Pep needs to be shown the door because he's clearly in over his head and needs to be shown the door. 

What exactly is Chud doing on the side lines? 

And why does Pep think running it 2 downs in a row in a tie game was a good idea? 

Is he on the sidelines or the booth.

Chuck stays and so does Pep.  Once again Andrew can and should audible out of it if he sees the box stacked.  He was not throwing well at all last night...maybe he did not want another pickoff.

Pep was as intricate at play calling than any game I have seen him coach.  He did, however go to the  misdirection runs about 2 too many times.

The Bradsaw TDs were sweet, and the last drive was miserable.  Especially at home.

Don't misunderstand me i really want to Chuck succeed as a Coach but he needs to understand that he has a once in a Generation QB and your motto can't be "Run the ball, stop the run" on this new NFL where the WR can't be touched, and if you just realize Luck is taking all the blame(we don't completely blame him) because he has blind trust on their Couches and he's always gonna take the blame(he deserves some) but Chuck and Grigson made really bad movements:

• Laron Landry(can't tackle property),RJF(good but not enough),Jackson(like RJF)
  • TR trade(we could got a pass rusher with that pick and this years draft there were really good RBs till 5th)
  • not addressing the pass rush problem(Werner was supposed to help not to resolve the pass rush issues),
  • not getting a Center( i mean Khaled Holmes 12 snaps weren't warranty) what if A.Q. didn't get cut? who would be the center Jack?, then who you trust to cover the LG? another injury-prone ?
  • FS ?? really we could made an aggressive offer to Jarius Byrd(we have way too much cap this year)I know that they are saving cap cause they are gonna pay Allen,Luck,Hilton,etc.

Good thing they have done:

• 2012 Draft
  • Getting a decent (above-average DL)
  • Re-sing Vontae Davis
  • Try to protect Luck(they have heavily invest on the OL)
  • Finding Diamonds in the rough 

I mean Chuck has developed into a great motivator and average HC, but he tries to play like SF or SEA when he doesn't have the personal, if you have T.Y., Reggie, Nicks, Allen, and you try to run and when you pass are passes with a specific target(Luck throw the ball even if his target is on Disadvantage but it's designed to that player) you are trying to force the things, i'm not an expert and i have zero experience coaching but when you watch those games where Luck throws or runs on those final moments you know that you have a special QB but you are wasting his talent with bad calls, i think Andrew is losing confidence because he blames himself of the loses and he is overthrowing sometimes or being inaccurate.

This is my first post i could be really wrong but i accept all the critics.  

BTW  I think Jon Gruden could resing ESPN if Grison/Irsay offer him to coach Luck.

Have a good day!

I am not so sure about the 2012 draft either. Yes, we got two TE starters but wouldn't it have been great to get two really good offensive linemen to protect Luck? Give me two starters there and use journeymen TEs. We would be a better team right now.

Hopefully Chud is snickering watching Pep call a game thinking to himself "Yep, I'm going to be the OC very soon."  Pep and his playcalling are more suited for maybe Pee Wee League football or a mediocre Middle School team.  Running it 2 downs in a row with the game tied was a super idea!  Worked out really terrific too, oh wait no it really didn't.  I don't believe that Pagano is the issue at all.  I do believe that Grigson needs to make some better decisions and I do believe that Pep needs to be shown the door because he's clearly in over his head and needs to be shown the door. 

Pep thinks he's still at Stanford with a beast offensive line.  he could have gotten away with running the ball twice with 3:00 mins to go in college.

I have not been impressed with Grigson since 2012 draft.  I think he has cobbled together a solid OL. so that's an improvement.  There are still too many breakdowns at key moments for me.  But Grigson has dropped the ball on the defense.  Without Mathis, there is no explosive plays on a defense that is predicted on explosive plays. Werner has been MIA in two games

I don't know WHY Chuck is getting a FREE pass!!! It was Chuck who wanted Pep as the oc because of the POWER run game Stanford utilizes and his prior relationship with Luck. It's Chuck who keeps preaching about the run game and being smashmouth on offense. Pep was oc at Stanford by title ONLY because Shaw the hc called the plays. Pep is in over his head at THIS level but as the hc of this team it's up to Chuck to pull Pep to the side and say this gameplan is not working! You take away Bruce's wins from Chuck's resume and it would reflect an avg coach at best who's BEEN saved by Luck's comebacks as well as him stepping up after games taking FULL BLAME for losses even though THIS subpar coaching staff is at fault with bad playcalling and questioned gameplans on BOTH sides off the ball. Too many weapons on this team in a league geared for passing to be messing around with Trent. (who looked ok last night BUT Bradshaw should be starting PERIOD!) Philly's trade for Sproles makes the Colt's for Trent look laughable and Cleveland still is! All these non PLAYMAKERS on defense brought in through FA were hand picked by Chuck because they were supposed to fit his aggressive scheme but you have a non aggressive dc to top that off! This will be a long season and the coach with the real "it" factor from Colt Nation is in Arizona.

Defense giving up 31 PPG over the last ten games.

Pagano = defensive guru.

Well to be fair, they were against the Broncos and Eagles, arguably the two highest scoring offenses in the league. Against the Broncos, they nearly shut out their offense in the second half, and against the Eagles, nearly shut them out of the first half.

I don't know WHY Chuck is getting a FREE pass!!! It was Chuck who wanted Pep as the oc because of the POWER run game Stanford utilizes and his prior relationship with Luck. It's Chuck who keeps preaching about the run game and being smashmouth on offense. Pep was oc at Stanford by title ONLY because Shaw the hc called the plays. Pep is in over his head at THIS level but as the hc of this team it's up to Chuck to pull Pep to the side and say this gameplan is not working! You take away Bruce's wins from Chuck's resume and it would reflect an avg coach at best who's BEEN saved by Luck's comebacks as well as him stepping up after games taking FULL BLAME for losses even though THIS subpar coaching staff is at fault with bad playcalling and questioned gameplans on BOTH sides off the ball. Too many weapons on this team in a league geared for passing to be messing around with Trent. (who looked ok last night BUT Bradshaw should be starting PERIOD!) Philly's trade for Sproles makes the Colt's for Trent look laughable and Cleveland still is! All these non PLAYMAKERS on defense brought in through FA were hand picked by Chuck because they were supposed to fit his aggressive scheme but you have a non aggressive dc to top that off! This will be a long season and the coach with the real "it" factor from Colt Nation is in Arizona.

I agree

Well to be fair, they were against the Broncos and Eagles, arguably the two highest scoring offenses in the league. Against the Broncos, they nearly shut out their offense in the second half, and against the Eagles, nearly shut them out of the first half.

That's over 10 games, not 2.

Eagles are a very good team, that is the first thing I have to say, with the way their OL protects and run blocks.

Next, the Colts' D is going to force Luck into a lot of shootouts, no doubt in my mind. Where were the creative blitzes from Manusky to manufacture a pass rush? Did he really think Werner and Walden would do the job and he could play coverage without getting any penalties?

Next, Pep's play calling may not cost us games vs teams we are superior to like the Jags, Raiders, Titans etc. but vs evenly matched teams, a couple of series here and there makes ALL the difference.

Next, the head coach - Pagano went for 4th down in this game and everyone cheered him, those are the decisions he needs to get right, not look over Pep's shoulder when he has Chudzinski as offensive assistant. Pagano has nothing to blame in this, he made a lot of good decisions, IMO.

Next, Grigson - While Grigson is slowly building a team to play everywhere, one thing I did notice is the lack of team speed and more size. Didn't we blame Dungy's defense for too much speed and not enough size? There needs to be a balance. But then, indoors, against a high tempo offense, our D was gassed much like Ds that went against Peyton in Indy. Why not incorporate some speedy but undersized folks to take advantage of playing fast indoors, something Polian did well?

Pep was great last night. The play calling reflected our defense's inability to stop the Philly offense. We had to run the ball in order to keep Philly off the field. 

We had the game won! Despite our absolute ineptitude at rushing the passer, we had the game won. Hilton runs a poor route/defender does push him, and we throw a pick which costs us 3 points and really changes the game. 

The inability to rush the passer will haunt us all season. We may be a 6-10 team. This team reminds me a lot of the 2002 Colts team where Manning was forcing the offense to offset the poor defense. Losing Arthur Jones may be what breaks the camel's back. We just don't have the talent on defense to compete. The poor drafting and poor free agent signings are going to catch up to us. 

All in all, it's too bad we can't seem to field a defense that can compete. Werner is a bust, he cannot generate a pass rush. He was an absolute non-factor for two straight games. Walden was going up against a 3rd string right tackle and couldn't do anything. Maybe Newsome can step up soon. 

Luck also needs to be able to be himself. We are at our best in the no huddle/2 minute drill. I just don't understand how we can have the wr's and te's we do and our offense looks it struggled to get anything going last two games. There's never a flow until they're down. Or they blow it like we did last night. Throwing the ball when all we needed was a fg to go up 10. And running the ball over and over and go 3 and out on last drive. We have nothing for teams blitzes. Until we figure that out also, Luck will continue to have someone in his grill

This slow start/no flow problem directly coincides with Pep Hamilton becoming the OC last year. We never had "flow" problems with Arians calling the shots in Luck's first year, but they showed up last year. Going 3 and out on multiple drives due to conservative play-calling will do that as will setting up 3rd and longs with dumb play calls. Hamilton looks like the most unimaginative OC in the NFL right now. He needs to go.

Pep was great last night. The play calling reflected our defense's inability to stop the Philly offense. We had to run the ball in order to keep Philly off the field. 

We had the game won! Despite our absolute ineptitude at rushing the passer, we had the game won. Hilton runs a poor route/defender does push him, and we throw a pick which costs us 3 points and really changes the game. 

The inability to rush the passer will haunt us all season. We may be a 6-10 team. This team reminds me a lot of the 2002 Colts team where Manning was forcing the offense to offset the poor defense. Losing Arthur Jones may be what breaks the camel's back. We just don't have the talent on defense to compete. The poor drafting and poor free agent signings are going to catch up to us. 

All in all, it's too bad we can't seem to field a defense that can compete. Werner is a bust, he cannot generate a pass rush. He was an absolute non-factor for two straight games. Walden was going up against a 3rd string right tackle and couldn't do anything. Maybe Newsome can step up soon. 

Pep got lucky in the 1st half. Then the Eagles defense adapted and Pep did nothing different. He was very far from "great" last night.

Pep, Pep, Pep. It's all I keep hearing, but what about Andrew Luck?! He's supposed to be in the driver's seat this season, calling and changing plays at the line of scrimmage. Why doesn't anyone question his ability to run the offense independently? From what I've seen so far these past two games is he's terrible at it, and even worse at reading the blitz.

I had nothing against Pagano until our last to 4th quarter possessions.  But that might be what you get get when your HC is a defense minded HC.  But in truth, Pagano owns that call  at the end.  What call?  The down and distance  and clock situation in the Red Zone.  As fans we want 7 points.  But with a 7 point lead, and iin the red zone, you run it and then let Vinatieri make it a two score games if you come up short.  Pagano can and most HC's do overrule the OC in these type situations.  He doesn't, Luck throws it, TY runs a hideous route and we get picked .No points, and momentum changer.

Then when we get the ball back, our OC takes the ball out of Luck's hands, trashes a typical 2 minute drill most use to move down the field into FG postion, and runs the ball both First and Second down for short gains while running out the game clock we need to move down the field!  Now it is 3rd and long, Eagles know a pass is coming so they blitz heavy up the middle with pressure forcing an early throw. Meanwhile every receiver is jammed at the line and can't get into the route and separate before Luck has to release the ball.  Horrific playcall sequence, and Pagano owns that as much as Pep.  It's a down/distance/time problem.  We are not a power ground and pound team.  We had success first half with unbalanced sets and vut back to weak side.  Eagles fixed that in the second half.

Finally, I'd like to point out the success of our early running game prevented Luck from getting into a rhythm that would get him ready for a game ending 2 minute type possession.  Luck almost admitted so on post game  on NFLN last night.

So my only gripe with Pagano is he has to take more control.  He states he told Luck to protect the ball down there in the red zone. Did he tell Pep not to throw it?  My thought is he should have.   And to go pass when we had it with only 3 1/2 minutes left in the game.  Eagles did what they needed to be in position to win.  Give them credit.  But we handed it to them like a reward for them doing so.  Disgusting, IMHO.

It amazes me how fast people turn on their team.  This thread proves all of that.  Good grief.  Go out and find that perfect team so you can be a band wagon fan!  Oh wait, that is right, there is no such thing as a perfect team.

Some may be turning on the team but most are not.  It was a game the Colts had won and should have won and they didn't for various reasons.  Are fans supposed to be happy that they were competitive and not complain when there are things to complain about?

Some may be turning on the team but most are not.  It was a game the Colts had won and should have won and they didn't for various reasons.  Are fans supposed to be happy that they were competitive and not complain when there are things to complain about?

I want to like this. 

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

No, complain but stop calling for people's jobs.  Just ridiculous in my opinion. 

If Pep believed than, then he should've ran it three times in a row and kicked a FG. Unfortunately Philly figured out the run by then. 

I agree with that the Colts should have done that.  And yes, they needed to do something other than counter to the weak side of the unbalanced line because the Eagles had that play figured out and Thornton was too tired to pull properly.

That is why, IMO, the right call would have been to line up in the unbalanced line and then do a play action pass out of it.