Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian liked RG3 over Luck

B~Town

Could you imagine if we had drafted RG3 and not Luck . Polian called RG3 a can't miss once in a life time QB guaranteed to take you to the promise land .

Really glad Irsay made the move for Grigs and he picked Luck with as many hits as Luck takes behind our O Line RG3's career would have been very short in Indy . I'll say we as fans have been blessed to have Manning and Luck as our QB's in recent history .

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you imagine if we had drafted RG3 and not Luck . Polian called RG3 a can't miss once in a life time QB guaranteed to take you to the promise land .

Really glad Irsay made the move for Grigs and he picked Luck with as many hits as Luck takes behind our O Line RG3's career would have been very short in Indy . I'll say we as fans have been blessed to have Manning and Luck as our QB's in recent history .

First, there is no such thing as a "Can't miss, once in a life time QB." There were more people than Polian who thought RG3 would be better. Luck has been "lucky" playing behind that line. He isn't made of iron and one hit could take him out any time. RG3 has to leave the pocket to be effective (he was playing very well Sunday before the injury). That is what is getting him hurt so seriously and so often. It is too bad, he is a pleasure to watch when he has it all going.

I remember him saying he liked RGIII and could see drafting him....but I don't remember hearing him say the Colts should draft him over Luck. To me it was the media industry getting him to make some comments and on the situation and try to get at least a somewhat different narrative on the situation...because its boring to hear all 32 teams say Luck is by far the #1 pick....even when in reality I don't think anyone said otherwise....except maybe Skip...but he was paid to start conterversy. I think if I remember right it was that the decision was closer than people think was what Polian was saying because of the Griffens potential...but even that was a stretch. If RGIII stayed healthy it might be a different story but Luck has a 15-20 yr career going...he is durable and even if he isn't the best qb in the league he will always be good on physical talent alone...just look at Big Ben....to me that is his the worst he will end up being...with the best case scenerio something we have never witnessed before.

Most of his problems are based on the facts that he can't read a defense from the pocket and is made of glass.

Yep, that is basically it. The best young QBs are those that use their running only for key 1st downs and always make their reads well, whether they are in the pocket or running to make their throws.

You are going to have to provide a link for that.  because I highly doubt if someone who has been around as long as Polian and someone who drafted Manning and Jim Kelley would not call RGIII a once in a lifetime, can't miss QB.

Most of his problems are based on the facts that he can't read a defense from the pocket and is made of glass.

Yep, that is basically it. The best young QBs are those that use their running only for key 1st downs and always make their reads well, whether they are in the pocket or running to make their throws.

That is his problem now but if if he had a coach and/or owner develop an O that used his skills while also developing pocket awareness he could have been at Luck's level

You are going to have to provide a link for that.  because I highly doubt if someone who has been around as long as Polian and someone who drafted Manning and Jim Kelley would not call RGIII a once in a lifetime, can't miss QB.

There is a article on NfL.com

I remember the experts saying you Draft run to win now you Draft luck to win in the future. Well they both win as rookies, but only 1 is winning now and probably in the future too.

That doesn't make any sense.  Most said Luck was more NFL ready but that RGIII had more potential or a higher ceiling.  That would indicate draft Luck to win immediately, draft RGIII to win in the future (once he reaches his potential).

That is his problem now but if if he had a coach and/or owner develop an O that used his skills while also developing pocket awareness he could have been at Luck's level

Not sure if I necessarily agree or disagree with your statement, but I will say RGIII got so used to being a one-read QB in year 1 that he was unable to adapt to having to read offenses in year 2 when the NFL understood how to defend the read option. In any game I have ever watched RGIII play, I think about 95% of the passing plays I watched he was doing one of two things on each snap: throwing it to his first read (who would normally be wide, WIDE open in year 1) or taking off and running with the ball when that guy wasn't open. Luck on the other hand had to read defenses at Stanford in a pro-style offense. He developed an instinct for it. RGIII apparently didn't at Baylor by the looks of his play, and the NFL isn't the best place to be learning on the job -- especially as a starting QB. It would take a LOT of coaching to teach that pocket instinct that Luck and Wilson have, and I think time is running out for RGIII in Washington, especially with Cousins looking pretty solid.

Despite what could have been as far as coaching is concerned, nothing can change the fact that RGIII is injury-prone. Luck gets hit just as much but gets back up. RGIII's legs get busted up in different spots. No coaching can change that.

That doesn't make any sense.  Most said Luck was more NFL ready but that RGIII had more potential or a higher ceiling.  That would indicate draft Luck to win immediately, draft RGIII to win in the future (once he reaches his potential).

Oh Coffee, not the 'higher ceiling' comment. That has already caused chaos on another thread.....

Even if he did call him that -- and Polian has said plenty of good things about Griffin since 2012 -- that's not the same as saying he'd have chosen Griffin over Luck. I have a hard time believing that, if the decision was Polian's alone, he would have gone with Griffin over Luck. 

you really think polian would get another gm job after the 2011 debacle 

You really think teams are going to hold that against him for the rest of his life when other GMs have been fired and rehired multiple times over worse situations? Come on now. If he wanted to be a GM again I'm pretty confident multiple teams would consider hiring him. 

With little evidence, I'm convinced that Polian has been considered for jobs since 2011. I think he's just done. I also think that, even if he wasn't done, he wouldn't take a job until his son gets a job.

There are several circumstances under which I'd hire Polian as an executive. But I wouldn't give him full autonomy, and I wouldn't keep him on for very long. So I don't think he'd want to work for me.

I said it during the Heisman race, I said it again before the draft, I said it after their rookie year (when RG3 got ROY) and Im still saying it to this day " Andrew Luck is in a different class than RG3"  How in the world did this guy weasle his way into beating Luck for those 2 trophies?  That's right, BLAME THE MEDIA!!  (A little off topic but same thing with national & world news, the media is a bunch of bologna, trying to persuade people, in hopes they receive better ratings, or some other hidden reason).  Oh yeah, I also said, "RG3 will be injured numerous times before he is out of the league and a complete bust... I hate to see players get injured, but I love it when I'm right when all these critics think otherwise.  ESPN and other sports news love to jump on bandwagons and create controversies or cover stories that are ignorant. 

Cant wait to see Indy spank the Eagles tonight.  GO COLTS!! That is all :)

Not sure if I necessarily agree or disagree with your statement, but I will say RGIII got so used to being a one-read QB in year 1 that he was unable to adapt to having to read offenses in year 2 when the NFL understood how to defend the read option. In any game I have ever watched RGIII play, I think about 95% of the passing plays I watched he was doing one of two things on each snap: throwing it to his first read (who would normally be wide, WIDE open in year 1) or taking off and running with the ball when that guy wasn't open. Luck on the other hand had to read defenses at Stanford in a pro-style offense. He developed an instinct for it. RGIII apparently didn't at Baylor by the looks of his play, and the NFL isn't the best place to be learning on the job -- especially as a starting QB. It would take a LOT of coaching to teach that pocket instinct that Luck and Wilson have, and I think time is running out for RGIII in Washington, especially with Cousins looking pretty solid.

Despite what could have been as far as coaching is concerned, nothing can change the fact that RGIII is injury-prone. Luck gets hit just as much but gets back up. RGIII's legs get busted up in different spots. No coaching can change that.

All of RG's problems including the injuries come from the type of system he grew up in

I said it during the Heisman race, I said it again before the draft, I said it after their rookie year (when RG3 got ROY) and Im still saying it to this day " Andrew Luck is in a different class than RG3"  How in the world did this guy weasle his way into beating Luck for those 2 trophies?  That's right, BLAME THE MEDIA!!  (A little off topic but same thing with national & world news, the media is a bunch of bologna, trying to persuade people, in hopes they receive better ratings, or some other hidden reason).  Oh yeah, I also said, "RG3 will be injured numerous times before he is out of the league and a complete bust... I hate to see players get injured, but I love it when I'm right when all these critics think otherwise.  ESPN and other sports news love to jump on bandwagons and create controversies or cover stories that are ignorant. 

Cant wait to see Indy spank the Eagles tonight.  GO COLTS!! That is all :)

He was statistically better than Luck in 2011 for the Heisman, and in 2012 for the ROY. Neither of those awards suggest that he was a better player.

I believe that Polian just spoke very highly of RG3 and said he might be more successful than Luck initially due to a way better supporting cast. I don't ever remember nor do I know find anything where he said RG3 was #1 and Luck #2.

That said , I think Polian is a huge phony when he takes "credit" for drafting Manning over Leaf.

1) It was mostly a media thing to begin with. A GM poll of around 20 GMs had like 18 of them saying Manning.

2) Mora and Irsay were about 99.99999 % Manning and .000001 % Leaf. Polian on the other hand had always favored the big QB's with Rocket arms. If anyone with any say on the Colts was considering Leaf , it was Polian. He latter said that Mannings arm looked stronger in work outs. Ahhh... dunno about that one.

3) I had a very close contact with the Colts at that time and he said it was pretty much Manning all the way as Mora and Irsay were all in with PM.

Anyway it really annoys me when I hear Polian try to say this was a "tough decision" and "he" made the right one. Funny bout when I was looking for Polain's comment s on RG3 , I found this... !st thing i've ever seen stating this truth...

There's a reason Grigson's title is "general manager" and not "president" or "vice chairman." Even if it was, at the end of the day, Irsay is going to have final say. History tells us that was the case in 1998 with Peyton Manning. Irsay was in love with him, as was then-head coach Jim Mora Sr. Rumors have always swirled that Polian was more in enamored with Ryan Leaf, but those have never been confirmed.

Ha.  Come on Coltsrule91 you know better than that.

In 23 years as a GM/VP he has a record of 229/138 18/15 n the playoffs, 5 SB appearances and 1 SB title.  Exec of the Year 6 times and took 2 different franchise to the SB and three franchises to the conference championship.  Yes, he could get another GM job if he wanted it.

Also I found this interesting on Pro football Reference.com, which is typically accurate on these things.  Chris Polian is listed as the GM/VP of Football Operations from 2009-2011.  So I doubt if many would blame 2011 on Bill.

Ha.  Come on Coltsrule91 you know better than that.

In 23 years as a GM/VP he has a record of 229/138 18/15 n the playoffs, 5 SB appearances and 1 SB title.  Exec of the Year 6 times and took 2 different franchise to the SB and three franchises to the conference championship.  Yes, he could get another GM job if he wanted it.

Also I found this interesting on Pro football Reference.com, which is typically accurate on these things.  Chris Polian is listed as the GM/VP of Football Operations from 2009-2011.  So I doubt if many would blame 2011 on Bill.

for all the great things polain did for the colts, he also handicapped us. not fixing the defense, over paying average players like hayden, brackett, and addai, and placing the entire team on one player