Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

win division?

OLD FAN MAN

It is probably to early to tell either way. The Texans defense has been tough and JJ Watt looks to be ready to make a run at defensive player of the year. If their defense and Foster can keep it up I think they will put up a real fight for the division crown. I do not think it is a no brainer especially with the loss of Mathis.

It should make for an interesting season that is for sure.

"If Pagano has pizza for lunch, can he have spaghetti for dinner?"

It is possible but that is an incredible amount of carbs and fat. I imagine if coach Pags had both pizza and spaghetti in the same day, pending on if he took some Tums, he may miss out on a good nights sleep. It's a possibility though.

haha

Long season. But tonight's game is BIG. Maybe as big of a week 2 game you can have with the Texans sitting at 2-0 and a very weak schedule ahead of them. If we lose tonight than we have an uphill climb. The Texans can beat most of the teams on their schedule with their defense alone.

We do have an uphil climb, but Houston is not Everest. Our schedule should only be one game diferent from this point on, do they have a good enough offense to beet some of those teams?

We do have an uphil climb, but Houston is not Everest. Our schedule should only be one game diferent from this point on, do they have a good enough offense to beet some of those teams?

That was my point. They won't need much of an offense to beat the majority of the teams on their schedule. And of course now they have Watt scoring TDs.  ;)

I am not that worried even if we lose tonight but I sure would rather have a win and just be a game out.

Coming from a Houston fan, the Colts are still the favorite, but completely dismissing Houston because of the 2-14 record last year is short sighted, many of the players from the back to back division championships are still on the roster, looking at 2-14 but dismissing 12-4 from the year before doesn't completely jive. 

in 2013 they forced 11 turnovers, ridiculously small unsustainable amount, they already have more than half of that in two games this year.  Although they haven't added many big time free agents, some players get better.  Could JJ Watt circa 2014 better than JJ Watt 2012? Do Hopkins and Swearinger take steps forward this year?  Can Arian and JJo stay healthy? 

Coaching matters, schemes make differences.  O'Brien could be a coach that makes a difference, the players seem to be buying in, his philosophy of week to week tactical offensive game planning is night and day from Kubiak's this is what we do you have to stop it.  Crennel is a proven DC with a distinct defensive philosophy difference from Phillips, the scheme could fit this set of players better.

Like I said the Colts still are still the favorite, but its far too early to completely dismiss the Texans as a viable threat.  The Roster has a lot of blue chip talent in Johnson, Foster, Brown, Watt, Cushing, and Joseph not even taking into account Clowney could make an impact down the line.  The two games were against inferior opponents, but the Raiders were completely dismantled and I am not so sure Washington is such a pushover, they demolished Jacksonville and had like 8 sacks while running the ball like crazy.  Last year the Texans started off 2-0, but were very fortuitous to win games coming from behind to win in OT, these two games were not that close.

It's just week 2, and while the Broncos game showed some obvious holes in this team, tonights game will show if this team can win the division again.  However, I will agree with the poster above, despite Houston's disastrous season last year, they are still a very talented team that has the potential to win the AFC South, especially if the Colts slip up.  

can we win our division over the Texans with our present talent?

Sure. We could also come in second if we don't start getting a pass rush or protecting Luck and developing some sort of running game. Houston is the real deal. Fitzpatrick won't win many games for them but he won't lose many either. That defense will keep them close in just about every game. I fully expect them to beat the Colts at least once.

I never thought the division was going to be easy, since I always felt that the Texans remained talented (despite losing 14 in a row to close out the 2013 season).  Nothing I've seen so far would make me change my forecast that the Colts will win it.  Playing Denver to a 7 point loss in Denver's home opener on SNF...that's better than I would have expected.  Denver will win that game 75% or more against any team in the leage.  Houston has been impressive, no matter who've they played.  But, wins over Wash. and Oak. aren't going to impress me too much.  So far, the season has gone as expected...