Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking down the Colts Offensive Line (Colts at Broncos)

BlueShoe

On the opening play, the Colts open up with 12 personnel, albeit with a Pep Hamilton wrinkle. To the people who say the Pep is not creative, well this will certainly change your mind. 

Notice Gosder kicks over from right tackle to the left-side of Castonzo. Fleener plugs the hole vacated by Gosder, and Allen lines up at fullback. Reggie lines up to the left, and TY lines up to the right. Richardson is the running back. 

Offensive Line from left to right: Cherilus, Castonzo, Mewhort, Shipley, Thornton, Fleener

OpeningPlay_zps82dc3435.jpg

The Broncos defense is confused by the formation.

After the snap, Shipley, Thornton, and Fleener crash the middle, while Mewhort pulls and sets up to anchor the right side, as the right tackle. Castonzo and Allen protect the blind side. The mismatch from the Broncos confused defense locks Mewhort onto safety T.J. Ward, who departs chasing Richardson slipping out of the backfield. Notice Fleener does a stand-up job as he blocks defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, and defensive end Derek Wolfe, on the play. Richardson and Reggie are both wide open, and Luck takes the deeper option with Reggie. TY was doubled and took two defensive backs 40 yards down the field with him.

OpeningPlayColtsatBroncos_zpsc030fcb7.gi

It is very possible that the opening play was designed to go to Richardson; however, Luck quickly noticed that Reggie had made his way behind the defense, and under the coverage that TY had taken with him. Luck chose the sure handed Reggie, and easy 22 yard completion. 

On the second play the offensive line is setup more conventional: Fleener, Castonzo, Mewhort, Shipley, Thornton, Cherilus.

SecondPlay_zpsa9d776db.jpg

The offensive line gets a good push on the left-side as Castonzo and Mewhort clear a path outside the tackle. The play originally looks like it is designed to go through the C Gap; however, Castonzo makes a second block and the run goes through the B Gap. 

Richardson gains a tough 6 yards on the first down play.

Play2ColtsatBroncos_zps0661c5aa.gif

The Colts offensive line is still a work in progress. That said, the first two offensive plays of the young 2014 season is a great indication for the future. There is creativity in the play calling, and talent on the Colts offense line. It is a shame the Colts got behind in this game, because we really did not get to see many running plays. 

We could have also run the football out of the first formation.....the big boys had the 4 hole open.  We also had Richardson with a nice opportunity underneath for YAC.

Thanks for sharing.  I missed Gosder on the left....now THAT is a jumbo package.  

jumbo-the-elephant.jpg

I believe it is possible the play was designed to go to Richardson; however, Reggie found the open space behind the defense and in front of the coverage that TY took deep with him. Luck had both and took the easy money with Reggie. Had he thrown it to Richardson then one or two broken tackles, and he could have gone to the house. 

I believe it is possible the play was designed to go to Richardson; however, Reggie found the open space behind the defense and in front of the coverage that TY took deep with him. Luck had both and took the easy money with Reggie. Had he thrown it to Richardson then one or two broken tackles, and he could have gone to the house. 

Agreed...looked like wide open spaces to me Blueshoe. :thmup:

The Dump is something we don't utilze enough ,sure does upgrade pass protection after doing it a few times ,can greatly diminish a pass rush !

I agree. We need to get our backs more involved in the passing game. Last year Luck completed 24% of his passes to our backs, while New Orleans led the league by passing to backs 34% of the time. Sunday night we kept the trend going by completing 23-24% of our passes to our backs. 

On the opening play, the Colts open up with 12 personnel, albeit with a Pep Hamilton wrinkle. To the people who say the Pep is not creative, well this will certainly change your mind. 

Notice Gosder kicks over from right tackle to the left-side of Castonzo. Fleener plugs the hole vacated by Gosder, and Allen lines up at fullback. Reggie lines up to the left, and TY lines up to the right. Richardson is the running back. 

Offensive Line from left to right: Cherilus, Castonzo, Mewhort, Shipley, Thornton, Fleener

After the snap, Shipley, Thornton, and Fleener crash the middle, while Mewhort pulls and sets up to anchor the right side, as the right tackle. Castonzo and Allen protect the blind side. The mismatch from the Broncos confused defense locks Mewhort onto safety T.J. Ward, who departs chasing Richardson slipping out of the backfield. Notice Fleener does a stand-up job as he blocks defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, and defensive end Derek Wolfe, on the play. Richardson and Reggie are both wide open, and Luck takes the deeper option with Reggie. TY was doubled and took two defensive backs 40 yards down the field with him.

It is very possible that the opening play was designed to go to Richardson; however, Luck quickly noticed that Reggie had made his way behind the defense, and under the coverage that TY had taken with him. Luck chose the sure handed Reggie, and easy 22 yard completion. 

On the second play the offensive line is setup more conventional: Fleener, Castonzo, Mewhort, Shipley, Thornton, Cherilus.

The offensive line gets a good push on the left-side as Castonzo and Mewhort clear a path outside the tackle. The play originally looks like it is designed to go through the C Gap; however, Castonzo makes a second block and the run goes through the B Gap. 

The Colts offensive line is still a work in progress. That said, the first two offensive plays of the young 2014 season is a great indication for the future. There is creativity in the play calling, and talent on the Colts offense line. It is a shame the Colts got behind in this game, because we really did not get to see many running plays. 

:sarcasm:       :ranton: 

Hey!!     This board is NOT ready for any FACTS that might show that Pep Hamilton has some idea of what he's doing!!!

So,   can we just please stick with OPINIONS?!?     Opinions are more fun and interesting!!     Facts only get in the way and gum-up the works!!  

So....   to sum up.....    MORE opinions and LESS facts and everything will be just fine....   OK?!?      :thmup:       :rantoff:

Great post.  I never noticed that either.  Really liked the play call tho.  I hope we get to see more of that this Monday!!

I also noticed in the first drive we were using 3 TE sets... I thought that was really weird!  Anyone else?

You are correct. On the 3rd down play, the pass was incomplete to Fleener.

It was the 6th play of the first drive:

Click on the image for a larger view.

3TESet_zps2c8a20be.jpg

:sarcasm:       :ranton:

Hey!!     This board is NOT ready for any FACTS that might show that Pep Hamilton has some idea of what he's doing!!!

So,   can we just please stick with OPINIONS?!?     Opinions are more fun and interesting!!     Facts only get in the way and gum-up the works!!  

So....   to sum up.....    MORE opinions and LESS facts and everything will be just fine....   OK?!?      :thmup:       :rantoff:

Great post. I will try to bring more opinions to the board.   :thmup:

Posted · Hidden by -JJ-, September 15, 2014 - personal shot
Hidden by -JJ-, September 15, 2014 - personal shot

If anyone watches football and doesn't know who is on the field and where they are lined up, is wasting his time

I think you're arrogant my friend. Someone pis in your Cheerios?

Thanks for the break down I enjoyed reading it.

I still don't see the "creativeness of Pep" with these plays.  An unbalanced line is not anything new in the NFL and it's one of those things that will work half dozen times a season.  And the second play is strong side left that is blocked well.  Again not sure how this shows Pep is creative.

I think Pep could be a good OC in the NFL but he is not there yet, IMO.

Good call on the overloaded line, I thought it would be a once in a while thing but the Colts used it effectively several times last night, they went to the well a couple times too many but it was effective in the first half.

Good call on the overloaded line, I thought it would be a once in a while thing but the Colts used it effectively several times last night, they went to the well a couple times too many but it was effective in the first half.

I said the same thing in another thread....:)  It was a nice thing to watch for me...liked it with Bradshaw's TDs.  I 'think' both of them had the overloaded line.  I was getting very sleepy.  :)

Blueshoe:  Good job on calling that for us.