Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why didn't We give Ed Reed a Call?

Defjamz26

I know he's washed up for the most part, but given our issues at safety, and the veteran presence he brings, I'm curious as to why we never called up Ed Reed. Especially considering how Pagano loves bringing in his players from Baltimore. He could've provided a lot of leadership and experience. Could've imparted a lot of knowledge to the younger DB's.

I can't imagine that money would have been an issue because he probably could've been signed to a cheap $1-2 million deal. I mean we got Mike Adams who is 30 something. And Reed has said that he still wants to play on many occasions. Not saying he would have definitively upgraded the defense, but I think he could've made the team better in some regard. Was he even brought in for a visit?

Because Mike Adams and Landry are both better. Reed sucks now... Future hall of famer, but he sucks now. 

I refuse to believe that Landry is better than Reed. Reed is a lot slower now and can't cover as well, but he can still help in run support. He has too much wisdom to just be cast aside. Wisdom often beats age and physical ability.

"He's washed up". - DefJamz26 2014

Besides we have plenty of old guys, we are oldest in the league. Losing Mathis will lower that a bit but we still have Redding and Adams.

I meant he is a shell of his former self (much like Lewis was in his last 2-3 years), but he has something left. He isn't Champ Bailey washed up though.

I refuse to believe that Landry is better than Reed. Reed is a lot slower now and can't cover as well, but he can still help in run support. He has too much wisdom to just be cast aside. Wisdom often beats age and physical ability

I'm thinking we should give Ronnie Lott a jingle.

I refuse to believe that Landry is better than Reed. Reed is a lot slower now and can't cover as well, but he can still help in run support. He has too much wisdom to just be cast aside. Wisdom often beats age and physical ability.

No you don't understand... Reed like actually sucks now.... He doesn't deserve to be on an NFL roster let alone be starting above Landry

I think LaRon Landry is pretty underrated around here, I mean yes he had a rough last year, but he isn't a terrible player, and for whatever reason people place a ton of blame on him for that Julius Thomas TD... The problem wasn't Julius Thomas beat him on the goal line for a TD, the problem was we had Landry (or any safety for that matter) on him in a 1 on 1 situation on the goal line to begin with. 

I know he's washed up for the most part, but given our issues at safety, and the veteran presence he brings, I'm curious as to why we never called up Ed Reed. Especially considering how Pagano loves bringing in his players from Baltimore. He could've provided a lot of leadership and experience. Could've imparted a lot of knowledge to the younger DB's.

I can't imagine that money would have been an issue because he probably could've been signed to a cheap $1-2 million deal. I mean we got Mike Adams who is 30 something. And Reed has said that he still wants to play on many occasions. Not saying he would have definitively upgraded the defense, but I think he could've made the team better in some regard. Was he even brought in for a visit?

He would be any improvement over what we already have at safety.

If you can not stick with Rex Ryan the coach you played under for a number of years, then that was probably the fork in the Turkey for Pagano.  If Ed couldn't stick around and play for Rex even in a back up capacity, then that was all the sign Chuck and Grigs needed.

I think you just answered your own question....

I think if Pagano thought he had something left,  he'd be on the Colts roster. 

He went to Texas and flamed out.    He went to the Jets and flamed out.

Reed is a future Hall of Famer.    But, he's done in the NFL.

If you can not stick with Rex Ryan the coach you played under for a number of years, then that was probably the fork in the Turkey for Pagano.  If Ed couldn't stick around and play for Rex even in a back up capacity, then that was all the sign Chuck and Grigs needed.

Exactly krunk. Reed is more than well down or deep fried in the NFL. See if you can land a permanent TV gig on CBS Sports NFL Today with your old Big Apple pal Bart Scott. You're done wearing pads Ed.

That swan song already sang when the Texans cut you loose man. You know it, I know it; we all know it. For some reason, you never quite recovered from hip surgery, but at least you won a ring & got to participate in a SB parade something HOF QB Jim Kelly never got to experience so I don't feel too bad for you really. 

tumblr_m8a7yv1AFW1rx6ay1o1_250.gif

I don't like the way we use Landry....   He is not the guy you want one on one with a TE like Julius Thomas or chasing a WR like Emanuel Sanders coming across the field.  He is better in run support or over the top help.  If we want our S to be manned up on slot WRs and TEs then we signed the wrong guy.

but............. it was Julius Thomas (arguably the best receiving TE in the league), Emanuel Sanders (one of the most elusive and fastest WRs in the league), and Peyton Manning (arguably the best QB ever) 

I felt that Matt Giordano was a bit overlooked in Oakland due to him being in Oakland, is he available? He is a decent cover safety as well.

There was a reason why the Broncos had issues with TEs and one of those reasons was Mike Adams. Cut our losses and move on.