Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philadelphia (+3) at Indianapolis (9-15-14)

oldunclemark

Do you guys follow Pro Football Focus at all? It's a pretty big deal on the Eagles site, and they had Jason Kelce listed as the single best center in the entire NFL in 2013. And we do have pretty nice depth, since basically our starting 5 have been lynchpins for awhile now, so all the backups have been draft picks that are given an eternity to develop.

While we do have injuries, the guys we're playing aren't going g to just be falling over each other. Practice squad guys? Jason Peters? The Toddfather? Jason Kelce? C'mon, man.

We cite PFF pretty regularly around here, too.  It's a helpful site especially when it comes to OL/DL because traditional stats for those two positions, or lack thereof when it comes to OL, and tackles/sacks for DTs don't always tell the whole story.  So when it comes to the big uglies, I tend to give a good deal of regard to those stats.  From a salary cap perspective, I'd take him over any center not named Manny Ramirez (yeah, he's in his 30s, but he's been pretty darn good for $1 mill per) and Travis Frederick, maybe John Sullivan. 

As for the bolded portion, I would generally agree with, but that's not always the case.  I mean, we did play Samson Satele for the bulk of the season and it didn't take long to realize that all he really was was a $4 million parking cone.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But O-line was their strength ...don't assume the backups cant play

,and their skill guys smoked JAX even after those injuries, right?

our skill guys smoked the jags in the 1st half also -  at least in terms of getting open often…our QB was just temporarily (hopefully) blind.     if Foles had of played close to his A game we would of won by 30+

Their RT was a back up for Lane Johnson. The backup wasn't good anyway so losing him isn't a big deal. Evan Mathis is arguably the best LG in Football. Losing him hurts. But like you said, the Eagles o-line was still dominant for a whole half after the injuries. The 3 starters playing this week are all top 5 or top 3 at their positions. I don't understand why people think we'll win because of a poor eagles line. We'll win because Foles blows it. Guys will still be running wide open, running backs will still have lanes to run through. Foles and a suspect secondary is the weakness on that team.

the backup who was hurt - barbre is actually pretty good.   He was signed to an extension in the offseason to be the key 6th man on the OL…so much for that plan.   Peters and Kelce are top OLmen…not so sure on Herremans any more…probably more good than great.    Chip is great though at recognizing his own strengths and weaknesses and game planning around them.

Simply put our D is much better then what people think. In week one we saw the best team we will see this season other then the playoffs. Yet we only lost by 7, whereas the Eagles were down big against the Jags, really? We all know what we will get out of the offence, but its the other side on the ball on D that we have gotten very stronger.

dude, that was one game, don't extrapolate too much from it.

Colts haven't loss back to back games under Luck and it's a home opener. The run defense was great vs the Broncos, holding them to a 3.0 average and one was from a long run from Sanders. There weren't many holes for Montee Ball to run through. I expect us to limit McCoy and Hilton to have a big game. Will see a lot more blitzes against Foles, and I think will get to him and force a few turnovers.

Colts 34 - Eagles 20

It's crazy how so many "Colts Fans" have no clue about "their" team!!  I hate comparing from week to week but Phi was playing Jax (the laughing stock of the league) last week and struggled in the first half.  Colts were playing a historic offense and a revamped Defense filled with Pro-Bowl caliber players.  It was a tale of two halves in both games.  Colts struggled out of the gate (like always) but manhandled both sides of the ball in the second.  Eagles were turning the ball over, and letting the Jags run up the score early, then in the second half got their act straight.  That game should've been like Alabama playing a D-2 school type game.  Yeah, Eagles have a high powered offense, but where would you rank Indy's in the mix?  Look at the matchups and honestly tell me Phi offense is better than Ind.  You would be lying to me!  A lot of people love to tear down our defense also, but in reality, they're not that bad if they play up to expectations.  They have a great secondary and the front 7 is solid if they're playing like they mean it (like when their down by 21 pts in the second half).  If the Colts can keep close with Den in a hostile environment, I'd say they shouldn't have much trouble against Philly at home. 

It's going to come down to: 1. Play Calling  and 2. If Colts want to play for 60 minutes.  If they can execute that into their game plan I would say Colts 34 Phi 24. 

Hard to say this early in the season but I'd say for power rankings:

Seattle

Denver

Indianapolis

49ers (because of suspension)

New England

Philidelphia OR Cincinnatti

It's crazy how so many "Colts Fans" have no clue about "their" team!!  I hate comparing from week to week but Phi was playing Jax (the laughing stock of the league) last week and struggled in the first half.  Colts were playing a historic offense and a revamped Defense filled with Pro-Bowl caliber players.  It was a tale of two halves in both games.  Colts struggled out of the gate (like always) but manhandled both sides of the ball in the second.  Eagles were turning the ball over, and letting the Jags run up the score early, then in the second half got their act straight.  That game should've been like Alabama playing a D-2 school type game.  Yeah, Eagles have a high powered offense, but where would you rank Indy's in the mix?  Look at the matchups and honestly tell me Phi offense is better than Ind.  You would be lying to me!  A lot of people love to tear down our defense also, but in reality, they're not that bad if they play up to expectations.  They have a great secondary and the front 7 is solid if they're playing like they mean it (like when their down by 21 pts in the second half).  If the Colts can keep close with Den in a hostile environment, I'd say they shouldn't have much trouble against Philly at home. 

It's going to come down to: 1. Play Calling  and 2. If Colts want to play for 60 minutes.  If they can execute that into their game plan I would say Colts 34 Phi 24. 

Hard to say this early in the season but I'd say for power rankings:

Seattle

Denver

Indianapolis

49ers (because of suspension)

New England

Philidelphia OR Cincinnatti

The Colts haven't won a game and you have them third? Peter King doesn't have us in the top 15. Win some games before you start talking power rankings.

Hey guys, Eagles fan here perusing the site before the game. Just want to drop some knowledge for you guys to get to know the opponent a little more before the game starts.

We still have 3 of 5 starting offensive lineman, and we recently signed a guard from the Texans you guys might know. He was in the pro bowl 2 years ago, his name is Wade Bryan or something like that. It was either him or Eric Winston and we went with him. So our line is banged up, but it's relatively fine. They did seem to play better after the injuries, but who knows.

Jason Peters was the starting left tackle on the ALL-PRO team. While you are entitled to disagree, I think top 5 at his position isn't a stretch when everyone else in the NFL thinks he's number 1.

Do you guys follow Pro Football Focus at all? It's a pretty big deal on the Eagles site, and they had Jason Kelce listed as the single best center in the entire NFL in 2013. And we do have pretty nice depth, since basically our starting 5 have been lynchpins for awhile now, so all the backups have been draft picks that are given an eternity to develop.

While we do have injuries, the guys we're playing aren't going g to just be falling over each other. Practice squad guys? Jason Peters? The Toddfather? Jason Kelce? C'mon, man.

As for the rest of our team, you probably hear enough about our O. The D, however, hasn't allowed more than 22 points for 12 consecutive regular season games. The good news for you though is we're awesome at run defense. Seriously awesome. And we were 32nd in pass defense last year.

Sorry to be an uninformed fan in this instance.  Sounds like my impression of Peters and Kelce as borderline top-10 players, rather than clear Top-5ers, was wrong.  Thanks for the non-defensive corrections.  Kind of reinforces my general belief that the OL  two losses from last week won't make the Eagles' OL bad...

They lost their offensive line.... If we can't stop them we seriously need help on defense

They shouldn't score more than 17

By that same token, shouldn't they be able to stop us, being that our line is still worse than theirs even with all their injuries? I guess it's gonna be a low scoring game then, going by your logic

After watching denver last night, i'm not so sure of that..

Then again, seing jaguars stink up the place last night, i don't know what to think of the eagles either..

The season has just started, i guess we'll just have to wait and see..

Denver can score when they want on most defenses.

I'd say the Colts held up pretty well.

It's just going to be a matter of the Colts executing on defense. The talent is there.