Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Refs impact game way to much! (Colts @ Broncos)

PuntersArePeopleToo

I usually try not to blame the refs, we should have won this game. But they did make some questionable calls and no calls. It'll always seem that way though. I'd blame the two picks which weren't Luck's fault.

Both picks were high thrown balls that got tipped... and you don't blame luck?

We had our chances. Like.....MANY of them. Don't blame the refs. It's the cowards way out.Ā 

Ā 

Same damn MO from last year. Nowhere to be seen in the first half and BAM....second half gold. When...oh when will we see 4 full quarters from this team.Ā 

You guys remember the questionable PI on Hilton? Or the questionable no call on running into the punter? Calls go both ways.

the PI on TY was the right call he cut him off and put his hands on him before the ball was there. At first it looked questionable but like Collinsworth said the more they showed it the more it was a clear flag. Running into the punter should have been called but would have not given Denver a first down they might have very well declined it rather than repent out of their own endzone.

Also if they flagged the TY play the one on Reggie should have been called for sure. That one was more clear than the TY one I'll grant you that.

Both picks were high thrown balls that got tipped... and you don't blame luck?

Ā 

Ā 

First one yes. The second one had to be thrown high and hit Fleener right square in his left Ā and right hands. I'd say maybe 1/2 1% Lucks fault and 991/2 % Fleener's fault.

Even on the running into punter you could the punter acted like lebron and flopped

Ā 

The way I understand the rule is you're supposed to give the punter space to bring his leg back down. If he has to avoid you as he finishes his kick, it's a penalty, contact or not. I think it was a borderline play, for sure, but we got way too close, and if it had been flagged, it would be hard to argue against it.

First one yes. The second one had to be thrown high and hit Fleener right square in his left and right hands. I'd say maybe 1/2 1% Lucks fault and 991/2 % Fleener's fault.

Why in the world did the second one have to be thrown high. The guy was behind him. Another guy was coming from in front but wasnt close enough to disrupt the play. HAD Fleener caught it, it would have been worse for him cause he would have gotten smashed. Luck should have thrown it so he didn't have to leave his feet and let Fleener be able to protect himself after the catch.

You guys remember the questionable PI on Hilton? Or the questionable no call on running into the punter? Calls go both ways.

Ā 

Yeah, the PI that happened at like.. the 2 yard line and the ball got spotted at the 8.

Ā 

I'm against this new "Illegal Contact" crap. All these extra rules just make the games boring to watch. See a play, watch a flag. See a play, watch a flag.

Why in the world did the second one have to be thrown high. The guy was behind him. Another guy was coming from in front but wasnt close enough to disrupt the play. HAD Fleener caught it, it would have been worse for him cause he would have gotten smashed. Luck should have thrown it so he didn't have to leave his feet and let Fleener be able to protect himself after the catch.

Ā 

Ā 

If you think that int was on Luck , there is no point discussing. The ball was thrown in tight coverage and hit him in both hands. He's expected to make that catch.

It wasn't a great throw by Luck by any means. But it's a ball that should have been caught. It wasn't like it went off Fleener's fingertips. It was in the palms of his hands and just went right through.

It wasn't a great throw by Luck by any means. But it's a ball that should have been caught. It wasn't like it went off Fleener's fingertips. It was in the palms of his hands and just went right through.

bad throw by Luck but also bad job by Fleener not to catch it. Fleener played more like rookie Fleener than the Fleener we saw last year. That was very disappointing to see.

If you think that int was on Luck , there is no point discussing. The ball was thrown in tight coverage and hit him in both hands. He's expected to make that catch.

Ā 

I think you're being hard on Fleener. Too hard. It was a high throw, and it would have been a tough catch. It's a catch he can make, but that same throw goes off of receivers' hands every day, it just doesn't go into the safety's hands. If he makes that catch, we're talking about how great it was.

I think you're being hard on Fleener. Too hard. It was a high throw, and it would have been a tough catch. It's a catch he can make, but that same throw goes off of receivers' hands every day, it just doesn't go into the safety's hands. If he makes that catch, we're talking about how great it was.

Ā 

Think so ? I did not think ut required a great effort. I saw it as high and smack into both hands. Not off fingertips.... but maybe you two are right.

Didn't like the amount of face masking I saw go uncalled.

And the refs, in almost all the games I saw, are wildly inconsistent with how agressive they're letting defenders be. Need to tighten that up, because they are in limbo between lax, and ultra strict.

Didn't like the amount of face masking I saw go uncalled.

And the refs, in almost all the games I saw, are wildly inconsistent with how agressive they're letting defenders be. Need to tighten that up, because they are in limbo between lax, and ultra strict.

agreed I saw several clear facemasks or hands to face go uncalled. Also either call it loose or tight with PI and contact and holding stuff I don't care which but not inconsistently like the refs were doing tonight.

I'm not going to blame this loss on the refs, we loss because Luck held on too the ball too long and the WR's weren't getting open. The defense did all they could without Mathis, not scoring TDs in the red zone is the main reason we loss.

So the D gets a pass, despite letting the Broncos manhandle them all throughout the first half. But the offensive problems get a spot light put on them?

Seems legit.

What, no mention of how Bradshaw got #ed out of his TD when the refs whistled the play dead too early? Ā THAT was pure horse%. Ā Or how about when Fleener clearly went out of bounds on the last drive 30 seconds before the 2 minute warning and the refs SOMEHOW didn't stop the clock and allow the Colt offense to regroup and make some plays. Ā Sure, the Colts left points on the field, but they also got #ed by the refs with no lube. Ā 

I'm not going to blame this loss on the refs, we loss because Luck held on too the ball too long and the WR's weren't getting open. The defense did all they could without Mathis, not scoring TDs in the red zone is the main reason we loss.

Agreed the refs are not why the Colts lost but that doesn't make their bad calls acceptable either.

Luck was holding the ball because people weren't getting open because Denver's secondary played a great game. Have to give them credit too.

No disagreement about the redzone offense.

Also too many mistakes from the two turnovers to the just dumb flags. Like the GC false start which would have been a delay of game had he not false started or the delay of game on the field goal on the first drive that made the Colts punt. Pagano should have called time there rather than rush it or take a flag. Even Toler doing to little grab he didn't have to a third down that kept a drive alive. Too many little mistakes that added up.

Ā 

Ā 

That 's what I thought I saw. It appeared to hit him squarely in both hands. Very catchable and would not be considered a great catch.

What, no mention of how Bradshaw got #ed out of his TD when the refs whistled the play dead too early? Ā THAT was pure horse%. Ā Or how about when Fleener clearly went out of bounds on the last drive 30 seconds before the 2 minute warning and the refs SOMEHOW didn't stop the clock and allow the Colt offense to regroup and make some plays. Ā Sure, the Colts left points on the field, but they also got #ed by the refs with no lube. Ā 

Ā 

I think agree the refs need to be more consistent with their calls, especially the emphasis they are putting on the DB's holding/PI.

Ā 

But, complaining about the refs costing us a game for the type of plays you listed is a cop out.Ā  Every team can find close plays where they feel the refs hurt their team. The broncos probably have several on ref complaints on their forums. The out of bounds not getting called on Fleener didn't hurt us at all and if we had been able to punch the ball in might have ended up helping us.

Ā 

The ref's bear little to no responsibility in this loss.