Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2015 Colts Mock Draft

I disagree that our first round choice must be an OLB. There are so many highly rated pass-rushers in this draft that I think it makes more sense to wait until the second and address another need in the first. I believe all of these players will be considered tier one pass-rushers (although they may have strikes against character, etc.):

Cedric Reed

Randy Gregory

Vic Beasley

Shilique Calhoun

Noah Spence

Leonard Floyd

Devonte Fields

In what I think is the next tier, you'll find players like:

Eric Striker

Alvin Dupree

Markus Golden

Jordan Jenkins

Kyler Fackrell

This draft looks to be very, very deep in pass-rushers which I think means you need to find a good value. There's no reason to pick a player in the first if a prospect that grades out similarly is available in the second.

I get what you're saying. I feel the same way to a degree. But I think that there are more 1st round pass rushers than there are first round safeties. If everyone here is pretty much in agreement that the biggest needs are OLB and Safety, then it might be better to go OLB first so you don't reach on a guy. Landon Collins might be gone by our pick, but if not I'm not sure now (could change later) that Derron Smith and Anthony Harris are 1st round safeties.

It'll depend on how everyone grades out though. If someone like Beasley or Spence falls to our pick, I think you have to pull the trigger. but the draft seems deep at CB, S, and OLB.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get what you're saying. I feel the same way to a degree. But I think that there are more 1st round pass rushers than there are first round safeties. If everyone here is pretty much in agreement that the biggest needs are OLB and Safety, then it might be better to go OLB first so you don't reach on a guy. Landon Collins might be gone by our pick, but if not I'm not sure now (could change later) that Derron Smith and Anthony Harris are 1st round safeties.

It'll depend on how everyone grades out though. If someone like Beasley or Spence falls to our pick, I think you have to pull the trigger. but the draft seems deep at CB, S, and OLB.

If Beasley is on the board when the Colts pick comes up then I expect the Colts to sprint to the stage to draft him. In my ideal world, Landon Collins falls outside the top 15 and the Colts move up a few spots to grab him and then in the second, they draft Spence. I think there's a decent chance Spence falls to the second. He tested positive for ecstasy and missed his team's bowl game last year in addition to the first two games this year. It also depends on how much scouts believe his performance is affected by playing on such a talented defensive line. If Spence is gone then Floyd would be my next choice.

If Beasley is on the board when the Colts pick comes up then I expect the Colts to sprint to the stage to draft him. In my ideal world, Landon Collins falls outside the top 15 and the Colts move up a few spots to grab him and then in the second, they draft Spence. I think there's a decent chance Spence falls to the second. He tested positive for ecstasy and missed his team's bowl game last year in addition to the first two games this year. It also depends on how much scouts believe his performance is affected by playing on such a talented defensive line. If Spence is gone then Floyd would be my next choice.

Why would we draft Spence if he already has shown he has a drug issue? 

It will be interesting to see if we can find someone to generate a pass rush as the season wears on. It has only been one game, but we can't rely on blitzing to generate pressure. 

If we falter this season, a guy like Dante Fowler from Florida may be within reach. He is bigger and seems like he would offer some versatility in where we could play him. 

I really like Marcus Peters from Washington though. This guy could be a top flight corner. We'll see how Toler performs this season, but if Sunday was any indication, the increased scrutiny on defensive holding will hurt him. Plus, we all know about his injury concerns. Hopefully Peters will be available. He would upgrade the secondary substantially. I stand by my comments that a quality safety can be found in the mid to late rounds. I accept that some of you think differently. I will remind all of you that Laron Landry was once the 5th pick in the draft. 

In the 2nd, another couple of names are Markus Golden from Missouri and Hau'oli Kikaha from Washington. I am interested to see if Jon Newsome can offer anything this season. 

It will be interesting to see if we can find someone to generate a pass rush as the season wears on. It has only been one game, but we can't rely on blitzing to generate pressure. 

If we falter this season, a guy like Dante Fowler from Florida may be within reach. He is bigger and seems like he would offer some versatility in where we could play him. 

I really like Marcus Peters from Washington though. This guy could be a top flight corner. We'll see how Toler performs this season, but if Sunday was any indication, the increased scrutiny on defensive holding will hurt him. Plus, we all know about his injury concerns. Hopefully Peters will be available. He would upgrade the secondary substantially. I stand by my comments that a quality safety can be found in the mid to late rounds. I accept that some of you think differently. I will remind all of you that Laron Landry was once the 5th pick in the draft. 

In the 2nd, another couple of names are Markus Golden from Missouri and Hau'oli Kikaha from Washington. I am interested to see if Jon Newsome can offer anything this season. 

The reason that Spence is still in play to be a Colt is that it was a one time thing. If he shows signs of addictive use or a history of drugs then red flags begin to flare up. His father claims that something was slipped into his drink at a party while celebrating a win. If that is true, then while you might question how naïve he is, then it shouldn't be more than a small issue that will be addressed by the scouting department.

I would like to have a speed-rusher across from Werner (assuming Werner plays Sam) like Mathis. Players like Leonard Floyd, Noah Spence and Vic Beasley fit that mold much better than someone like Fowler.

I think Peter's draft stock is slipping out from underneath him. He's having some issues of his own right now. I'm also super optimistic about Purifoy and his long-term potential. Pagano is a known as a guru for defensive backs so I can't wait to see what he can do with Loucheiz. I also acknowledge that Landry was the fifth pick but that shouldn't serve as a deterrent from adding a potential game-changer at safety. The only safety that I think is currently deserving of a first round pick is Landon Collins. There are, however, a couple players that could play their way into first round consideration such as Jalen Mills. So I disagree that the first round pick must be a safety, but if Collins is close to available then I think he would be a huge upgrade and a great pick.

The reason that Spence is still in play to be a Colt is that it was a one time thing. If he shows signs of addictive use or a history of drugs then red flags begin to flare up. His father claims that something was slipped into his drink at a party while celebrating a win. If that is true, then while you might question how naïve he is, then it shouldn't be more than a small issue that will be addressed by the scouting department.

I would like to have a speed-rusher across from Werner (assuming Werner plays Sam) like Mathis. Players like Leonard Floyd, Noah Spence and Vic Beasley fit that mold much better than someone like Fowler.

I think Peter's draft stock is slipping out from underneath him. He's having some issues of his own right now. I'm also super optimistic about Purifoy and his long-term potential. Pagano is a known as a guru for defensive backs so I can't wait to see what he can do with Loucheiz. I also acknowledge that Landry was the fifth pick but that shouldn't serve as a deterrent from adding a potential game-changer at safety. The only safety that I think is currently deserving of a first round pick is Landon Collins. There are, however, a couple players that could play their way into first round consideration such as Jalen Mills. So I disagree that the first round pick must be a safety, but if Collins is close to available then I think he would be a huge upgrade and a great pick.

Good point on Peters. I actually just saw online an article where he was suspended for a "tantrum" he threw during their latest game. Although, I don't have as big a problem with a guy passionate about winning and expecting great things from him and his team, this does show some maturing is needed. I think he will be fine.

I agree about a speed rusher in the mold of Mathis. It will be interesting to see if Floyd from Georgia was a flash in the pan or if he will actually prove to be a more consistent and dominant pass rusher this season.

Good point on Peters. I actually just saw online an article where he was suspended for a "tantrum" he threw during their latest game. Although, I don't have as big a problem with a guy passionate about winning and expecting great things from him and his team, this does show some maturing is needed. I think he will be fine.

I agree about a speed rusher in the mold of Mathis. It will be interesting to see if Floyd from Georgia was a flash in the pan or if he will actually prove to be a more consistent and dominant pass rusher this season.

I think it will be interesting to see how Peter's stock varies from week to week. If his tantrum really was just a result of passion and he proves to be a defensive leader than it could be viewed as a good thing. I think the more likely scenario is that its considered a detriment to the team and it proves to be a distraction, a la Dez Bryant. I fully expect him to be on the Colt's radar, I'm just unsure of spending the first round pick on another corner when we have Davis.

I haven't had the time to actually see a Georgia game this year for more than a few minutes. That being said, Floyd started the season on fire, and from the look of things, dominated in the first week and really wrecked havoc. The other big plus about Floyd is that he is already a Rush linebacker in Georgia's 3-4 so ideally it would be a seamless transition. I'm excited to see how he does this season.

And just like that Spence gets busted a second time and everything I said previously about him goes out the window. I now have Leonard Floyd ahead of Spence by a solid margin simply based on character. Floyd seems to have a genuine love for the game and enjoys playing. Floyd also already is a Rush linebacker in Georgia's 3-4 defense and could theoretically step into a starting role on day one.

I'd change that order and put DE at 3. Cory Redding is old and slow.

The first round OLB's that are worth drafting in the first who might be available are Shaq Thompson and Noah Spence. I'd say Beasley but he was a sure fire first round talent going into the 2014 draft, so I don't see him dropping very next April/May.

For 2nd round safeties I like Derron Smith. Probably the best coverage FS in the draft. If he's not there though, there is Anthony Harris at SS.

BPA approach, RB is still a crucial need on the team. We still have RJF and Hughes as backups but no depth at RB. It's quite obvious that Trent isn't good and won't be here much longer, this team needs a star RB to take pressure off of Luck. The talent for RB's in this draft is much better then OLB's. If Gurley, Yeldon, or Gordon is on the board in the late 1st we should take them.

Last year, I wanted Attaochu but the Chargers drafted him. He looks like what I predicted, has all the tools to be a great player. This year the only OLB's worth taking in the 1st is Randy Gregory and Shilique Calhoun, but both will be top 10 picks. The safety position I like a lot as well in the 1st round with Jalen Mills, Cody Prewitt, and Kurtis Drummond.

BPA approach, RB is still a crucial need on the team. We still have RJF and Hughes as backups but no depth at RB. It's quite obvious that Trent isn't good and won't be here much longer, this team needs a star RB to take pressure off of Luck. The talent for RB's in this draft is much better then OLB's. If Gurley, Yeldon, or Gordon is on the board in the late 1st we should take them.

Last year, I wanted Attaochu but the Chargers drafted him. He looks like what I predicted, has all the tools to be a great player. This year the only OLB's worth taking in the 1st is Randy Gregory and Shilique Calhoun, but both will be top 10 picks. The safety position I like a lot as well in the 1st round with Jalen Mills, Cody Prewitt, and Kurtis Drummond.

I don't care if Trent Richardson retires halfway through the year, you can't possibly justifying taking a running back in the first this year. That would effectively be spending back to back first round picks on a position that has been devalued leaguewide. There are too many defensive needs to be taking any more offensive players in the first round. I also disagree that there are only two first round OLBs. Randy Gregory, Shilique Calhoun, Vic Beasley and Leonard Floyd are all rated as first round players. There are also players such as Cedric Reed that can move into first round consideration. Lastly, there are players with first round talent but off the field trouble such as Devonte Fields and Noah Spence.

I also was a huge advocate for Jeremiah Attaochu. I was concerned about our pass rush outside of Mathis, and felt he could become great learning from Mathis. When you have no picks to maneuver with you have to go with what is available at your pick. Hopefully Newsome will step up. 

And just like that Spence gets busted a second time and everything I said previously about him goes out the window. I now have Leonard Floyd ahead of Spence by a solid margin simply based on character. Floyd seems to have a genuine love for the game and enjoys playing. Floyd also already is a Rush linebacker in Georgia's 3-4 defense and could theoretically step into a starting role on day one.

I read an article (Bleacher Report I believe) that compared Floyd to Barkevious Mingo. Floyd is 6'4" and about 230 lbs. He provides a pass rush but can be dominated in the run game. He obviously needs to bulk up, but has potential. He did not have a great game against South Carolina, but I only read that, I did not watch the game myself. 

I read an article (Bleacher Report I believe) that compared Floyd to Barkevious Mingo. Floyd is 6'4" and about 230 lbs. He provides a pass rush but can be dominated in the run game. He obviously needs to bulk up, but has potential. He did not have a great game against South Carolina, but I only read that, I did not watch the game myself. 

I actually got to watch that game and Spurrier simply coached circles around Georgia. It didn't matter what Georgia called defensively, South Carolina exploited it. The other thing I noticed is that SC had great success running to the left so they didn't tend to go Floyd's way. I also saw that article but there is reason to believe that Floyd has a slightly better build than Mingo and that will allow him to not be so lean. I would also just like to point out that neither Freeney nor Mathis are/were exactly stalwarts at stopping the run but were successful given their ability to get to the quarterback. Given a season in the league, I would expect him to bulk up somewhat and playing behind Arthur Jones I don't think he would be exploited in the run game by any means. He has flaws certainly but there's no such thing as a perfect prospect, especially with a pick that is projected to be in the 20's.

If Grigson drafts a RB he should be fired.

• 3 weeks later...

Im actually intrigued by this Jamil Douglas kid who is a LG for Arizona State as a late round pick(5th-7th) , He can pull very well, He has played both Tackle positions as well.......Questions about character as he stole from a teammate which landed him a 2nd degree burglary charge but was reduced.

The first couple rounds of the draft interest me absolutely but Im very interested in what Grigson can continue to do late in the draft

With the whole DR situation WR could now be an option

DR isn't missed. Wayne is on his way to comeback player of the year, Hilton will look better once we open the playbook up for him, and Nicks is doing okay I suppose. Plus Moncrief looked like a beast in the Jaguars game. Don' t forget about Dwayne Allen as well. The receiving corps is fine. We might look at  another low risk high reward player we can get for cheap at the WR position.

DR isn't missed. Wayne is on his way to comeback player of the year, Hilton will look better once we open the playbook up for him, and Nicks is doing okay I suppose. Plus Moncrief looked like a beast in the Jaguars game. Don' t forget about Dwayne Allen as well. The receiving corps is fine. We might look at  another low risk high reward player we can get for cheap at the WR position.

I was not talking about 2014 but 2015

Gurley or Gordon would look good in a Colt uni......     JMO

I feel the same. I'm not usually an advocate for a RB in the first round but if either of those guys happen to be there, I think really hard about it. Gordon looks so much like Jamaal Charles it's crazy. Tell me our team couldn't benefit from that kind of playmaker

1.Jaelen Strong-WR Arizona State

2.Bernardrick McKinney-OLB/DE Mississippi State

3.Cody Prewitt-Safety Ole Miss

4.Christian Covington-DT Rice

5.Phillip Dorsett-WR Miami

6.Jamil Douglas-T/G Arizona State(Robbed a teammate in 2010 so character needs seriously looked at but is talented, No incidents since then)

7.Terron Ward-RB/PR/KR Oregon State-Great acceleration...shifty, can line up in multiple spots and catch. pass protection needs work but not bad-Tends to dive once in a while at the defender instead of staying on his feet....Big play potential from anywhere on the field

1.Jaelen Strong-WR Arizona State

2.Bernardrick McKinney-OLB/DE Mississippi State

3.Cody Prewitt-Safety Ole Miss

4.Christian Covington-DT Rice

5.Phillip Dorsett-WR Miami

6.Jamil Douglas-T/G Arizona State(Robbed a teammate in 2010 so character needs seriously looked at but is talented, No incidents since then)

7.Terron Ward-RB/PR/KR Oregon State-Great acceleration...shifty, can line up in multiple spots and catch. pass protection needs work but not bad-Tends to dive once in a while at the defender instead of staying on his feet....Big play potential from anywhere on the field

You'd like to devote two of the first five picks in our draft (WR) to the strongest, deepest position on the team?!?    Really?

Including the first round as well?

What am I not understanding............

You'd like to devote two of the first five picks in our draft (WR) to the strongest, deepest position on the team?!?    Really?

Im not basing my draft picks on need(I think we can fill the Safety need in FA with a proven player on a short term deal while Pewitt sits a year). Its based on who I could see being available, I think Strong has a  chance of making an impact year 1 because at this point I don't see Nicks back unless he really turns it up a notch or 2

I like Ray but for us I would not draft him any higher then round 4 and even then I think better players will be available

1.Has to get a lot stronger

2.Has to develop pass rush moves, especially converting speed to power

3.Plays in a 4-3 at Missouri

I wonder how much of a need OLB is though. Werner and Walden both have 3 sacks on the seasons and Mathis is resigned through 2016. Plus you have Jonathan Newsome. Makes me wonder if maybe safety/CB isn't the priority in the first round. When you look at the one position on the team that HAS to be upgraded, it's safety.

1. Safety

2. CB

3. OLB

4. ILB

5. RB

That's how I now have our team needs after 6 games.

You'd like to devote two of the first five picks in our draft (WR) to the strongest, deepest position on the team?!? Really?

Not gonna be a deep position after this season.