Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Make-or-Break List

21isSuperman

With the season nearly upon us, it's time for this year's installation of the make-or-break list!  Previous candidates have included Anthony Gonzalez, Ray Rychleski, Donald Brown, and Jerry Hughes....so I guess if you're on the list, it doesn't bode well.  This year, my candidates are (in no particular order):

1. Greg Manusky - it may seem unlikely since Pagano does come across as fiercely loyal, but this is the 3rd season he will have here and the defense doesn't look any better than in the first year.  While I do agree that some of the roster choices on defense have been questionable (for example, Werner), scheming and player comfort should help the defense improve.  I haven't seen the improvement I would expect, so I think he's on a short leash this year.  With that said, it's a little difficult to analyze because I don't know if our defense is Manusky's or Pagano's or a mix of the two.

2. Mario Harvey - he wasn't that great on defense or special teams and his over-aggressive attitude can be risky in terms of penalties.  He's currently playing FB, but who knows how that will turn out.  If he doesn't play really well on special teams, I don't think he is on the team next year

3. LaRon Landry - his coverage was bad, his tackling was bad, he was injured for a quarter of the season, and I don't think he deserves what I believe is a $4 mil salary this year.

4. Hakeem Nicks - possibly the most obvious one of the group since he's even come out and said he wanted a 1-year-prove-it type of deal.  Given his age, I don't think it will be career damaging if he has a bad year.  He's shown he can play really well when healthy and is still young.  If he does have a bad year, I don't see him returning to Indy, but I do think another team will give him a shot.

5. Trent Richardson - the excuse for him last year was that he didn't have a chance to learn the playbook.  Well, he has had that chance now.  If he has a bad year, I think we need to draft another RB in the later rounds next year since Ballard has been hurt 2 years in a row and Bradshaw is injury prone.  Herron has shown some good runs, so a trio of Herron, Richardson, and a draftee could work.  We certainly aren't helping him with our OL situation, but he's shown poor vision and lots of apprehension in his running.

6. Greg Toler - he's scheduled to make $4.5 mil this year.  If he can't stay healthy, I don't see us keeping him for 2015 when he has a $4.75 mil salary.  He had injury issues in Arizona and he continued to have them last year.

7. Fili Moala - I don't recall him doing anything spectacular last year.  I figured we would bring him back just because he fits a 3-4 and we did on a 1 year deal, but he won't be playing this year, so I don't see him returning next season.  Not really a make-or-break candidate since I think it's already done with

8. Stanley Havili - lots of potential as a receiving FB, but I don't recall us using him much to catch the ball.  I also read somewhere that Richardson runs better without a FB, so I don't see much use for Havili.  On a side note, he looks a lot like Freddy Keiaho

What are your thoughts?  Which players or coaches would you add or remove? 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove Greg Manusky

Defense was called good last year. I remember numerous times Manusky called the right plays but they weren't made.

That sack in the playoffs vs the Chiefs where Bethea was sent on a S blitz and he failed to bring down Alex Smith despite a clean shot of him

While he's no Rex or Rob Ryan, he's good enough for my taste.

If we can just stop being injured it'd be much easier to have a Top 15 defense

I wonder if both Manusky and the Jets do bad, both he and Ryan get fired. I can't even imagine how amazing our team could be with him here. He could probably get another head coaching job where is a more established offense/QB though. 

I wouldn't call it make or break, but if Thornton doesn't look like he is developing well I wouldn't be surprised to see another guard signed in FA. I expect him to do well this year though, so hopefully moot. 

I see a lot of make-or-break situations, but they are not in Colts uniforms. Everyone in the FO and coaching staff is under scrutiny, including the strategies for building the team. If they work as thought, all's good, and we can breathe a collective sigh. Otherwise, I see a lot of changes on the horizon.

Mind as well add Ahmad Brashaw.

True, that's a good one.  I didn't really think of him as make-or-break, but he does fit the bill.  If he can't stay healthy, I think he's gone too.

I wonder if both Manusky and the Jets do bad, both he and Ryan get fired. I can't even imagine how amazing our team could be with him here. He could probably get another head coaching job where is a more established offense/QB though. 

I wouldn't call it make or break, but if Thornton doesn't look like he is developing well I wouldn't be surprised to see another guard signed in FA. I expect him to do well this year though, so hopefully moot. 

Getting Rex Ryan would be awesome!  I think he's one of the better defensive minds and the players really play hard for him

I see a lot of make-or-break situations, but they are not in Colts uniforms. Everyone in the FO and coaching staff is under scrutiny, including the strategies for building the team. If they work as thought, all's good, and we can breathe a collective sigh. Otherwise, I see a lot of changes on the horizon.

I give Grigson one more year.  He did inherit a team with practically nothing.  With that said, I think a lot of his mistakes have been masked by the great play of Luck, much like Peyton did with his coaches and GM.  I love how Grigs goes out of his way to find guys (Arena League, CFL, etc.), but his drafting and free agency choices have left a lot of question marks.  I wasn't a fan of the Trent trade or the Werner pick, but I'm really hoping both guys prove me wrong.  Losing Telesco hurt scouting a lot, in my opinion.  But I give Grigs one more year to see what he can do

I left Pep off just because his playcalling and awareness seemed to improve as the season went on.  He doesn't seem to be as concerned with running the ball and instead is looking to score points by any means necessary.  He would have to have a really bad year to be let go at the end of it.  I think having him come back another year will help, as will having Luck's opinion on the gameplan.  I'm too optimistic on Pep to put him on the list now, but he could be on here next year

Mind as well add Ahmad Brashaw.

SW1 has been 1 of his strongest advocates on Bradshaw especially goal line shortage TDs near the endzone. 

True, that's a good one.  I didn't really think of him as make-or-break, but he does fit the bill.  If he can't stay healthy, I think he's gone too.

Getting Rex Ryan would be awesome!  I think he's one of the better defensive minds and the players really play hard for him

21st is right on the money on both counts here. Bradshaw needs to produce results pronto. I love the guy, but if he is sidelined this year, cut him loose. I'm tired of him being hurt all the time. 

Rex Ryan as DC with delayed blitzes & overload blitzes in INDY would kick caboose man!  :thmup:  A realistic possibility too because if the Jets fail to make the Playoffs Rex is out in the Big Apple. 

Remove Greg Manusky

Defense was called good last year. I remember numerous times Manusky called the right plays but they weren't made.

That sack in the playoffs vs the Chiefs where Bethea was sent on a S blitz and he failed to bring down Alex Smith despite a clean shot of him

While he's no Rex or Rob Ryan, he's good enough for my taste.

If we can just stop being injured it'd be much easier to have a Top 15 defense

I get what your saying TK24 about injuries...A valid point, but Rex Ryan bumps us up to a top 12 defense without flinching. Plus, I admire his go for the throat aggressiveness. Manusky vs Ryan= No contest. 

Besides, Rex was born to be a DC. He's mean, sly, & nasty the perfect calling card IMHO. 

With the season nearly upon us, it's time for this year's installation of the make-or-break list!  Previous candidates have included Anthony Gonzalez, Ray Rychleski, Donald Brown, and Jerry Hughes....so I guess if you're on the list, it doesn't bode well.  This year, my candidates are (in no particular order):

1. Greg Manusky - it may seem unlikely since Pagano does come across as fiercely loyal, but this is the 3rd season he will have here and the defense doesn't look any better than in the first year.  While I do agree that some of the roster choices on defense have been questionable (for example, Werner), scheming and player comfort should help the defense improve.  I haven't seen the improvement I would expect, so I think he's on a short leash this year.  With that said, it's a little difficult to analyze because I don't know if our defense is Manusky's or Pagano's or a mix of the two.

2. Mario Harvey - he wasn't that great on defense or special teams and his over-aggressive attitude can be risky in terms of penalties.  He's currently playing FB, but who knows how that will turn out.  If he doesn't play really well on special teams, I don't think he is on the team next year

3. LaRon Landry - his coverage was bad, his tackling was bad, he was injured for a quarter of the season, and I don't think he deserves what I believe is a $4 mil salary this year.

4. Hakeem Nicks - possibly the most obvious one of the group since he's even come out and said he wanted a 1-year-prove-it type of deal.  Given his age, I don't think it will be career damaging if he has a bad year.  He's shown he can play really well when healthy and is still young.  If he does have a bad year, I don't see him returning to Indy, but I do think another team will give him a shot.

5. Trent Richardson - the excuse for him last year was that he didn't have a chance to learn the playbook.  Well, he has had that chance now.  If he has a bad year, I think we need to draft another RB in the later rounds next year since Ballard has been hurt 2 years in a row and Bradshaw is injury prone.  Herron has shown some good runs, so a trio of Herron, Richardson, and a draftee could work.  We certainly aren't helping him with our OL situation, but he's shown poor vision and lots of apprehension in his running.

6. Greg Toler - he's scheduled to make $4.5 mil this year.  If he can't stay healthy, I don't see us keeping him for 2015 when he has a $4.75 mil salary.  He had injury issues in Arizona and he continued to have them last year.

7. Fili Moala - I don't recall him doing anything spectacular last year.  I figured we would bring him back just because he fits a 3-4 and we did on a 1 year deal, but he won't be playing this year, so I don't see him returning next season.  Not really a make-or-break candidate since I think it's already done with

8. Stanley Havili - lots of potential as a receiving FB, but I don't recall us using him much to catch the ball.  I also read somewhere that Richardson runs better without a FB, so I don't see much use for Havili.  On a side note, he looks a lot like Freddy Keiaho

What are your thoughts?  Which players or coaches would you add or remove? 

Nice list 21st. I like Toler though. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Trent yet. Yeah, I know potential means a lack of production & that can get coaching staffs fired. Why are so many people down on Pep Hamilton? Give the man some time. If Luck feels comfortable with him, I'm not rocking the boat this early. 

I'm not good with evaluation lists, but I respect the time & effort you put into this critique 21st. Well done! 

I give Grigson one more year.  He did inherit a team with practically nothing.  With that said, I think a lot of his mistakes have been masked by the great play of Luck, much like Peyton did with his coaches and GM.  I love how Grigs goes out of his way to find guys (Arena League, CFL, etc.), but his drafting and free agency choices have left a lot of question marks.  I wasn't a fan of the Trent trade or the Werner pick, but I'm really hoping both guys prove me wrong.  Losing Telesco hurt scouting a lot, in my opinion.  But I give Grigs one more year to see what he can do

i might make it two years. the richardson and hughes trades are terrible and have hurt the colts. they could have kept hughes and not drafted werner (maybe a guard or ilb instead), and had a 1st round pick last year (maybe a guard or ilb) and kept donald brown. he does deserve credit for the davis trade.

....... It's a rookie contract. You act like we're paying him big $$$$$

2.25 million this year and 3.18 next year. 5.43 guaranteed over two years as opposed to browns average of 3.5/ year and 4 million guaranteed (3.25 million signing bonus plus this years salary) over 3 years. i would rather have brown for the same price and an extra year.

2.25 million this year and 3.18 next year. 5.43 guaranteed over two years as opposed to browns average of 3.5/ year and 4 million guaranteed (3.25 million signing bonus plus this years salary) over 3 years. i would rather have brown for the same price and an extra year.

The same Donald Brown who took till his contract year to make a big impact?

Yeah cause players definitely don't play well in their contract year when they know they're auditioning for their current teams and other teams in case their team doesn't bring them back

Makes sense perfectly

Brown made an impact if you take into consideration the amount of touches he had as a Colt......Just under 10 per game, He also had a good year in 2011....actually even better then last year total rushing yards wise, When looking at production you have to take into account how many touches/targets a player gets and ask yourself why is he getting limited touches or targets. He also only played two full seasons. Unfortunately he just is not built to take on the load of the carries over the course of a season it doesn't seem at the NFL level

Need two more, k holmes and d thomas. Niether can stay healthy. Holmes miss basically all yr last season with a sprained amkle and has only 7 plays this year due to a SPRAINED ANKLE!

I believe that Holmes injured his other ankle this year. Also, if my memory serves me right, he injured it when a defensive lineman fell on him. It was just an accident. I wouldn't say he's injury prone, I think it was just bad luck. As far as Thomas is concerned, I'll give him a pass just because of what happened to him last year. It didn't appear bad, but it was a rather serious injury. I'm not sure if he came back early or what but he tore his quad again so I'm not sure what to think about him.

Need two more, k holmes and d thomas. Niether can stay healthy. Holmes miss basically all yr last season with a sprained amkle and has only 7 plays this year due to a SPRAINED ANKLE!

I completely forgot about Thomas.  He should be on there and I think he's already tipping towards the break side given his injury history. 

• 1 month later...
1. Greg Manusky

2. Mario Harvey

3. LaRon Landry

4. Hakeem Nicks

5. Trent Richardson

6. Greg Toler

7. Fili Moala

8. Stanley Havili

Well, we're halfway through the season.  Let's see how these guys are shaping up.  I'm including the guys from the original post, as well as some of the guys people listed in their responses.

1. Greg Manusky - he's overachieved with this defense.  Yeah, they got torched by Pittsburgh.  But we've been able to generate a decent pass rush without Mathis.  I've been very critical of Manusky and I still disagree with a lot of his calls (DQ in coverage is almost always a mismatch, we're still soft in the middle of our pass defense).  I think he's done a pretty solid job.  I really like Rex Ryan as a defensive mind and I've been lobbying for us to hire him as a DC once he is inevitably fired from the Jets, but Manusky's performance with the defense probably means there won't be an opening at the DC position.  And I'm fine with that given how he's done.  Verdict: making it

2. Mario Harvey - no longer on the team.  Verdict: Broke

3. LaRon Landry - suspended for PEDs use (was anyone surprised at that?).  On the day of his return, Pagano was noted as saying he hadn't seen LaRon.  That doesn't bode well.  To me, if he doesn't have a good excuse, he should be cut on the spot.  Bad coverage, bad tackling ability, just a bad football player eating up too much of our cap.  Get rid of this guy ASAP.  Verdict: breaking it

4. Hakeem Nicks - he's underperformed this year, and that's completely fine with me because that means Moncrief gets more reps.  His current stats are 18/168/2, putting him on pace for a brutal year of 36/336/4.  Unless he takes a really cheap deal, he won't be back in Indy next year.  Another team will probably give him an offer simply because he has shown he can play and he is young, but I have no problem letting him go.  Moncrief has done much better than he has and I would rather develop him and let him grow. Verdict: breaking it

5. Trent Richardson - while he hasn't been impressive, he's been serviceable.  He's played much better this year than last, but he still hasn't lived up to the hype surrounding him coming out of Alabama.  Poor vision, dances and jukes too much instead of trying to truck through guys, doesn't go through holes like Bradshaw does.  I think he's doing enough to stay on the team, but he still hasn't been impressive. Verdict: making it

6. Greg Toler - he's been half of what has been a top 5 CB duo in the league this year.  He's managed to stay healthy and he's played pretty well. Verdict: making it

7. Fili Moala - he's on the IR.  I don't expect him back next year.  If he does return to the team, giving him anything more than vet minimum will be too much.  I would only keep him for depth reasons.  Verdict: I'm indifferent.  Makes it if we need depth, but I like Quarles.

8. Stanley Havili - same as Moala, except I wouldn't bring him back even for vet minimum. Verdict: broke

9. Khaled Holmes - I don't get what's going on here.  The coaches and Grigson have hyped this guy up, saying he could be a really good C.  But he hasn't gotten the opportunity to play.  Instead, Shipley and Harrison have gotten the snaps at C.  Is he still injured?  Is he simply not good (in which case, why all the hype?)?  What's going on with Holmes? Verdict: I don't even know what's going on with this guy

10. Donald Thomas - I would love to have him back as a depth guy next year and even push for a starting position, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy.  He's scheduled to make $3.5 mil every year until 2016, then he's a free agent in 2017.  If he won't restructure to bring down his cap hit, I would let him go.  Verdict: will make it if he is willing to restructure

11. Da'Rick Rogers - already off the team.  Million dollar talent, 10 cent head.  Verdict: broken

12. Griff Whalen - he's shown some positives and negatives as a KR/PR.  Some games, he'll have great returns and give the offense solid field position.  Other games, he looks like the 2nd coming of David Reed.  As a receiver, he hasn't done much.  I'm not sure why we haven't tried Purifoy as a returner...maybe the coaches aren't sold on his ability to secure the kick/punt? Verdict: making it

13. Ahmad Bradshaw - he's been a beast.  The rotation between him and Trent has kept him from getting hurt and allowed him to remain an effective back.  He's the best RB on the team and I think he should be brought back.  His current contract is 1 year, $855 K.  Bring him back and keep him in a rotation with Trent.  He's still got it!  And it wouldn't hurt to get Boom Herron some carries too!  Verdict: making it!

New additions:

14. D'Qwell Jackson - He's 31 and we gave him a 4 year contract?  People interestingly noted he was a better coverage LB than a run stopper, but his coverage hasn't been that great, from what I've seen.  I think we should have given him a 2 year deal, then looked for a solid ILB in the upcoming draft.  His pass rush hasn't been that bad and he's been a good leader (I think he's the guy with the mic in his helmet on defense)

15. Gosder Cherilus - he's been bad for a majority of the season.  He's signed through 2017 with a really big cap hit in the later years.  I wouldn't be upset to see him go.  I'm noticing a trend of Grigson giving guys some long term deals (ie. Cherilus, DQ, Landry)

16. Erik Swoope - I really don't see the point in developing another TE when we have Allen, Fleener, and Doyle, at ages of 24, 26, and 24.  I know our current regime really likes to try to develop guys and takes on a yearly reclamation project (eg. Donnie Avery, DHB, Nicks), but can't we use that practice squad spot for a guy at a position we could really use?  You can kind of make the same argument for a guy like Daniel Adongo, but pass rush is infinitely more important than TE.  I'm not saying he should go because we do have some weapons who won't be here in the long term (Nicks, Wayne) and it'll be nice to have a guy who has been in our system for a few years to step in, but I can't help but feel we could use that spot better.

Mine would go something like this...Categories being....Passing....Failing......Failed

1.Manusky....Has done well with not a lot of great talent to work with, Much of it has been either suspended/injured but somehow up till last week when Vontae went down we were doing well...Even if I have a problem with some of his play calls....Passing

2.Laron Landry......Why we brought in an undersized Linebacker who is very limited in coverage is/was a head scratcher especially since we already had an in the box Safety in Bethea....Failed....Yeah I know the season is not over....He is what he is

3.Hakeem Nicks..... I had hopes for him when we picked him up but for a mix of reasons he just has not produced enough to be relevant and wont likely going forward as a Colt....Failed....Im expecting Moncrief to take his spot after the Bye

4.Trent Richardson......Depending on what your looking for he is passing or is failing with flying colors.....I personally think while he is showing better then last year its marginal at best......2 td's and a 3.5 ypc (Andrew Luck has that many rushing td's) 16 rushing 1st down through 7 games....Andrew Luck has 9)......Also only 8 runs of 10+ yards out of 101 attempts...At this point Im just hoping Ballard stays healthy next year so he can win the competition (and I'd be shocked if there was not competition unless Ballard is just not at full strength.....At some point you have to look past Trents combine measurables and except when healthy he is at best the 3rd best Back on the roster) next year and send Trent to 3rd string where he could be used solely as Goal Line or short yardage Back until his contract was up and we could just move on.......Failing

5.Greg Toler.....Plays hot and cold to much...Up and down, Panics to often instead using proper technique when beat and draws some penalties because of it, Has made some good plays however, When healthy is a serviceable #2 but part of putting this defense over the top into a championship caliber defense should be to upgrade at some point.....Passing

6.Moala- Failed...Not much to say here, Not a real dynamic talent, does not do anything overly well and had been relegated to the bench prior to getting injured anyway, Can give you a great play once in a while but...Failed

7.Stanley Havili.......We just never used him right.....He is not the battering ram type of FB, he is a runner/receceiver type of FB who we tried to convert it a battering ram.......If we would have taught him to use his agility and footwork to guide the defender out of the hole then I think he would have been much more effective.....Failed....But I don't put a lot of that on him

Trich failing? Are you really watching the games, or did you decide long ago he's a failure and it's too embarrassing to admit you might have been premature in your judgment? He's been good! Hall of Fame Great? Nope. But he's been good - consider his blocking and being a good compliment to Bradshaw. I thought I'd miss Donald Brown but I don't because our running game has been good enough. Perhaps expectations of Trich were too high. Regardless, I want him on our team.

Anyone talking about Pep Hamilton!? I'm thinking if our offense keeps playing like they have been and we had a deep playoff run or win a Super Bowl some low caliber NFL teams or high caliber NCAA teams will be looking for a Head Coach. Much like Vandy looked at him last year.

Well, we're halfway through the season. Let's see how these guys are shaping up. I'm including the guys from the original post, as well as some of the guys people listed in their responses.

16. Erik Swoope - I really don't see the point in developing another TE when we have Allen, Fleener, and Doyle, at ages of 24, 26, and 24. I know our current regime really likes to try to develop guys and takes on a yearly reclamation project (eg. Donnie Avery, DHB, Nicks), but can't we use that practice squad spot for a guy at a position we could really use? You can kind of make the same argument for a guy like Daniel Adongo, but pass rush is infinitely more important than TE. I'm not saying he should go because we do have some weapons who won't be here in the long term (Nicks, Wayne) and it'll be nice to have a guy who has been in our system for a few years to step in, but I can't help but feel we could use that spot better.

I see a reason for Swoope.

I think the Colts front office might be worried that they are going to end up losing either Fleener or Allen in FA. They may decide to pass on giving one a new contract due to cap room if Swoope does develop into a serviceable TE.

That way out 3 TE will be:

Allen/Fleener

Doyle

Swoope

16. Erik Swoope - I really don't see the point in developing another TE when we have Allen, Fleener, and Doyle, at ages of 24, 26, and 24.  I know our current regime really likes to try to develop guys and takes on a yearly reclamation project (eg. Donnie Avery, DHB, Nicks), but can't we use that practice squad spot for a guy at a position we could really use?  You can kind of make the same argument for a guy like Daniel Adongo, but pass rush is infinitely more important than TE.  I'm not saying he should go because we do have some weapons who won't be here in the long term (Nicks, Wayne) and it'll be nice to have a guy who has been in our system for a few years to step in, but I can't help but feel we could use that spot better.

Good stuff. 

On this, that's the purpose of the practice squad. It allows you to develop some talent and field a full team during the week to practice against. Now that it's been expanded to 10 spots, I think you can expect to see at least two or three guys on every practice squad that are being groomed for a future role.

I see a reason for Swoope.

I think the Colts front office might be worried that they are going to end up losing either Fleener or Allen in FA. They may decide to pass on giving one a new contract due to cap room if Swoope does develop into a serviceable TE.

That way out 3 TE will be:

Allen/Fleener

Doyle

Swoope

Good stuff. 

On this, that's the purpose of the practice squad. It allows you to develop some talent and field a full team during the week to practice against. Now that it's been expanded to 10 spots, I think you can expect to see at least two or three guys on every practice squad that are being groomed for a future role.

I hadn't thought that far into the future haha.  But if that is the case and they are looking to have him ready to go since they expect to lose Fleener or Allen, then that makes a lot of sense