Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Microsoft's Cortana Predicts the Week 1 Games

Fx Stryker

Microsoft/Bing have now added the prediction of football games to their digital personal assistant.

This is not the first time Cortana has predicted sporting events. The algorithm was used to predict 15/16 elimination matches correctly, the only wrong prediction was picking Brazil over Netherlands in the 3rd place match.

Here are her selections:

Seahawks over the Packers

Texans over the Redskins

Chiefs over the Titans

Patriots over the Dolphins

New York Jets over the Raiders

Eagles over the Jets

Steelers over the Browns

Rams over the Vikinkings

Bears over the Bills

Ravens over the Bengals

Falcons over the Saints

Buccaneers over the Panthers

49ers over the Cowboys

Broncos over the Colts

Lions over the Giants

Cardinals over the Chargers

Microsoft/Bing have now added the prediction of football games to their digital personal assistant.

This is not the first time Cortana has predicted sporting events. The algorithm was used to predict 15/16 elimination matches correctly, the only wrong prediction was picking Brazil over Netherlands in the 3rd place match.

Here are her selections:

Texans over the Redskins

Chiefs over the Titans

Eagles over the Jets

Steelers over the Browns

Rams over the Vikinkings

Bears over the Bills

Ravens over the Bengals

Falcons over the Saints

49ers over the Cowboys

Broncos over the Colts

Lions over the Giants

Eagles over the JAGUARS.

It's okay though, everyone forgets about the Jags, even their fans

Here are her selections:

Texans over the Redskins

Chiefs over the Titans

Eagles over the Jets

Steelers over the Browns

Rams over the Vikinkings

Bears over the Bills

Ravens over the Bengals

Falcons over the Saints

49ers over the Cowboys

Broncos over the Colts

Lions over the Giants

I think Cortana will be wrong on a few of it's selections...

My predictions...

Packers over the Seahawks

Vikings over the Rams

Bengals over the Ravens

Saints over the Falcons

Cowboys over the 49ers

Chargers over the Cardinals

My predictions...

Vikings over the Rams

Bengals over the Ravens

Saints over the Falcons

Cowboys over the 49ers

If the Cowboys D wasn't so bad, I could see that one happening.  But there's almost nobody who's even "average" playing on that side of the ball.  Can't see how Kaep won't be able to score 30+ against them. 

But I can see the Chargers wining the game vs the Cardinals.  The Chargers have a better defense than most people realize.  Cardinals have a great secondary but I don't know if they'll be able to stop the Chargers running game and dump-off passes to woodhead.

If the Cowboys D wasn't so bad, I could see that one happening.  But there's almost nobody who's even "average" playing on that side of the ball.  Can't see how Kaep won't be able to score 30+ against them. 

But I can see the Chargers wining the game vs the Cardinals.  The Chargers have a better defense than most people realize.  Cardinals have a great secondary but I don't know if they'll be able to stop the Chargers running game and dump-off passes to woodhead.

Very true!  However, the San Francisco offense has been atrocious all preseason long.

I think that game could be a classic Stoppable Force vs Movable Object confrontation.

If the Cowboys D wasn't so bad, I could see that one happening. But there's almost nobody who's even "average" playing on that side of the ball. Can't see how Kaep won't be able to score 30+ against them.

But I can see the Chargers wining the game vs the Cardinals. The Chargers have a better defense than most people realize. Cardinals have a great secondary but I don't know if they'll be able to stop the Chargers running game and dump-off passes to woodhead.

I think the game will be more about Arizona's offense. Not high on Palmer at all and he seems to throw interceptions a lot. If he does well I think they win, but he is pretty average. I'm pretty sure that game they won against the Seahawks he threw like 4 picks and their defense still kept it pretty low scoring.

If anyone is curious how it is done. 

For pro football, we model the respective strengths of the teams by examining outcomes from previous seasons including wins, losses, and the very rare tie outcome (two games since 2009), factoring in margin of victories, location of contest, playing surface and roof cover (or lack thereof), weather and temperature conditions, scoring by quarters, and multiple offensive and defensive statistics. In addition to this prior model, we identify fans on Web and Social sites and track their sentiment to understand the aggregate wisdom of this expressive crowd. This introduces data which statistics alone cannot capture, providing real-time adjustments which surprisingly can capture injury news and other substantive factors in win probabilities.

Good point.

But the game is in Dallas and Romo and the Cowboys' offense can put up big numbers.  I see Romo and Dez hooking up quite a bit in that game.  The game could be a shootout.

The 49ers looked like one of the worst prepared teams in the preseason along with the Panthers.

If the Cowboys D wasn't so bad, I could see that one happening. But there's almost nobody who's even "average" playing on that side of the ball. Can't see how Kaep won't be able to score 30+ against them.

But I can see the Chargers wining the game vs the Cardinals. The Chargers have a better defense than most people realize. Cardinals have a great secondary but I don't know if they'll be able to stop the Chargers running game and dump-off passes to woodhead.

It's cause the 49ers D isn't that great now either.

This is not the first time Cortana has predicted sporting events. The algorithm was used to predict 15/16 elimination matches correctly.

If she is pretty accurate, you need to continue this for every week.

I think people are overreacting to that. They'll still be top 10 by the end of the year. I'd say for the first half of the schedule, they'll be at worst top 15. Good coaching and playmakere on that side of the ball will keep a good defense.

By the end of the year, Ya. For this game, no.

My predictions...

Vikings over the Rams

Bengals over the Ravens

Saints over the Falcons

Cowboys over the 49ers

The only one of those I would take is the Saints over the Falcons and that's iffy.