Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

College Players To Keep An Eye On

Who will you be watching? Here are some of mine.

Vic Beasley, DE, Clemson - A good pass rusher who had something like 13 sacks last season. He's a first round talent, but would be forced to move to OLB in the NFL because of his lack of size. 

Anthony Harris, S, Virginia - Had a ton of interceptions last year (I think it was like 8 or 9). Probably won't repeat at quite the same  number but his ball skills are really good. 

Sean Hickey, OT, Syracuse - I like what I've read about his dedication to improving as a player. He's been an effective LT for Syracuse but didn't jump into the draft because he needed to improve his size and lower body strength. He is listed at 6-5 and has a ton of upper body strength.

D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida - A very athletic T who got hurt last year. If he can prove his knee injury is behind him he's a good prospect. Needs to bulk up a bit and add strength, but the athleticism is intriguing.

Landon Collins, S, Alabama - He's one of my favorite prospects. He shows awareness in coverage and does a good job in run support. Has a prototypical build with above average athleticism. 

Devonte Fields, DE/OLB, (formerly of TCU) - Has good size, although he could put on a little weight. As a freshman, Fields practically dominated all types of tackles. He was dismissed from TCU after a strange set of circumstances.

Jabari Hunt-Days, ILB, Georgia Tech - Has ideal measurables for an inside linebacker. Has a good range of motion and seems to initiate contact. He was ruled academically ineligible for this season.

Derron Smith, S, Fresno State- Coming into the season with 14 career interceptions, which is the most among any other returning FBS player. Has ideal FS size at 5'11" 200 pounds.

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia-Truly a "gamebreaker" at the RB position. If he continues to dominate he could win the Heisman and end up a top 15 pick.

Brandon Scherf, OT, Iowa- This is a guy I was excited about last year, but he decided to stay. His coach is well respected for his OL knowledge, so you know he'll be NFL ready. Can play on either the right or left as well as having a whole season playing guard.

Josh Shaw- It'll be interesting to see how his Manti Teo like headline does to his draft stock. But he's an interesting prospect none the less. Team captain and he appears to be a S/CB hybrid. Not sure when he'll see the field though with his injuries and possible consequences for faking that story.

Derron Smith, S, Fresno State- Coming into the season with 14 career interceptions, which is the most among any other returning FBS player. Has ideal FS size at 5'11" 200 pounds.

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia-Truly a "gamebreaker" at the RB position. If he continues to dominate he could win the Heisman and end up a top 15 pick.

Brandon Scherf, OT, Iowa- This is a guy I was excited about last year, but he decided to stay. His coach is well respected for his OL knowledge, so you know he'll be NFL ready. Can play on either the right or left as well as having a whole season playing guard.

Josh Shaw- It'll be interesting to see how his Manti Teo like headline does to his draft stock. But he's an interesting prospect none the less. Team captain and he appears to be a S/CB hybrid. Not sure when he'll see the field though with his injuries and possible consequences for faking that story.

I'm guessing we're listing players the Colts should be interested in?    As opposed to just really good players who will go high in the draft.

Gurley is great.   Looks like the first RB to be taken next spring.   But even if he's available next April,  I wouldn't expect the Colts to use another 1st R pick on a RB.     Not after the way the TRich deal has worked out.

And Scherf also projects to go long before the Colts pick in the first round.    If he miraculously fell for some reason,  I think we'd be very interested.

Shaw........    at this moment,  seems like an undrafted free agent or possible late round pick.     And since the Colts currently have two-6's and two-7's,  I'd guess it's possible.    Depends on what comes up in the kid's private back-ground check.    My guess is that won't be pretty at all.     It'll probably be a mess and will scare off many teams.

I'm guessing we're listing players the Colts should be interested in?    As opposed to just really good players who will go high in the draft.

Gurley is great.   Looks like the first RB to be taken next spring.   But even if he's available next April,  I wouldn't expect the Colts to use another 1st R pick on a RB.     Not after the way the TRich deal has worked out.

And Scherf also projects to go long before the Colts pick in the first round.    If he miraculously fell for some reason,  I think we'd be very interested.

Shaw........    at this moment,  seems like an undrafted free agent or possible late round pick.     And since the Colts currently have two-6's and two-7's,  I'd guess it's possible.    Depends on what comes up in the kid's private back-ground check.    My guess is that won't be pretty at all.     It'll probably be a mess and will scare off many teams.

Yeah I just listed people that would be possibilities for the Colts. And I still think Shaw has a chance. Remember Tyrann Mathieu? Seems like a similar situation where Shaw might also go a season without playing football. We still have to wait to see where all the pieces land though, since his story as well as a domestic violence incident is still being investigated. But let's see. At least he owned up and admitted he lied.

Yeah I just listed people that would be possibilities for the Colts. And I still think Shaw has a chance. Remember Tyrann Mathieu? Seems like a similar situation where Shaw might also go a season without playing football. We still have to wait to see where all the pieces land though, since his story as well as a domestic violence incident is still being investigated. But let's see. At least he owned up and admitted he lied.

At this point,  I don't think Gurley or Scharf are very realistic for the Colts.   They're simply too good.

Both should be gone long before we pick,  and if both were available, (not likely)  I'd guess Scharf would be our guy....

At this point,  I don't think Gurley or Scharf are very realistic for the Colts.   They're simply too good.

Both should be gone long before we pick,  and if both were available, (not likely)  I'd guess Scharf would be our guy....

Scherff seems like a good bet to make it at the next level to me. If he slides to the Colts pick (assuming nothing goes wrong with his development this season) he'd be a guy that you'd love to have on the team. But I agree there's a good chance a guy like him goes earlier, and I think unless our O-line situation has some sort of hiccup we'll be more apt to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick there and go defense on the first. Obviously it's too far into the future to project with any accuracy and it still depends on who will be available. But my imagination at this point wants to take a pass rusher with the first pick and an O-lineman with the second. Maybe a safety.

I watch the Irish and the Ducks every game there are a few players I wouldn't mind

Ifo Ekpre-Olonua CB Oregon might gone before we pick he is a turnover machine

Arik Armstead DE/DT Oregon freak athlete depends on what kind of season he has where he goes

Kei'Varae Russell CB ND he is not playing yet part of the academic investigation

Kurtis Drummond S MSU We need help on the back end should be around where we pick

Derron Smith S Fresno St more help on back end around our first round pick

Noah Spence OLB OSU we seem to like OSU he can get to the qb needs to clean up some off the field problems

It is early but those are the guys off the top of my head I think will be around our number 1

I am about D would love to find a pass rusher to go with what we have or someone who takes the ball away.

Fortunately for the Colts, the 2015 draft will be loaded with good O-linemen and safeties throughout the first three rounds.  It would be a very pleasant surprise if the best safety Landon Collins or any of the elite OTs (Andrus Peat, Cedric Ogbuehi, Brandon Scherff, La'el Collins) or any of the top DE/OLB pass rushers (Leonard Williams, Randy Gregory, Shilique Calhoun, Vic Beasley, Noah Spence) end up slipping to the bottom of the first round.  I expect all these highly-rated players to be gone before the Colts pick, in which case I wouldn't mind Grigson trading down into the 2nd round to acquire an extra 3rd round pick.  There are plenty of excellent prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Imagine the Colts drafting FOUR of the following:

* Kurtis Drummond, S, Michigan State

* Derron Smith, S, Fresno State

* Cody Prewitt, S, Ole Miss

* Anthony Harris, S, Virginia

* Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

* Josh Shaw, CB/S, USC

* Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State

* Marcus Peters, CB, Washington

* Spencer Drango, OT, Baylor

* Cameron Erving, OT, Florida State

* A.J. Cann, OG, South Carolina

* Arie Kouandjio, OG, Alabama

* Tre Jackson, OG, FSU

* Josue Matias, OG, FSU

Wide Receivers

Davante Adams-Fresno State

Amari Cooper-Alabama

Willie Snead-Ball State

Jeremy Gallon Michigan

Jamison Crowder-Duke

Chandler Jones-San Jose State

Antwan Goodley-Baylor

Devante Davis-UNLV

Justin Hardy-East Carolina

Tyler Lockett-Kansas State

Deontay Greenberry-Houston

Ezell Ruffin-Rutgers

Tommy Shuler-Marshall

Rashad Greene-Florida State

Jaelen Strong-Arizona State

Titus Davis-Central Michigan

Dres Anderson-Utah

for starters at WR, Ill add more positions and players soon

Wide Receivers

Amari Cooper-Alabama

Willie Snead-Ball State

Jeremy Gallon Michigan

Jamison Crowder-Duke

Antwan Goodley-Baylor

Devante Davis-UNLV

Ezell Ruffin-Rutgers

Tommy Shuler-Marshall

Dres Anderson-Utah

Snead, Adams and Gallon all went pro...

I'm looking at Tre Jackson, Cedric Reed, Jalen Mills, Cody Prewitt, and a couple other corners and safeties for the colts. If Thronton or Mewhort have a bad year I could see us going guard again in round 1. If not, I could see us going either safety or OLB/DL in round one and two. I think it's going to be a good draft for all the positions we need (CB/S, OL, OLB). Could find first year starters in each of the first three rounds. 

Fortunately for the Colts, the 2015 draft will be loaded with good O-linemen and safeties throughout the first three rounds.  It would be a very pleasant surprise if the best safety Landon Collins or any of the elite OTs (Andrus Peat, Cedric Ogbuehi, Brandon Scherff, La'el Collins) or any of the top DE/OLB pass rushers (Leonard Williams, Randy Gregory, Shilique Calhoun, Vic Beasley, Noah Spence) end up slipping to the bottom of the first round.  I expect all these highly-rated players to be gone before the Colts pick, in which case I wouldn't mind Grigson trading down into the 2nd round to acquire an extra 3rd round pick.  There are plenty of excellent prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Imagine the Colts drafting FOUR of the following:

* Kurtis Drummond, S, Michigan State

* Derron Smith, S, Fresno State

* Cody Prewitt, S, Ole Miss

* Anthony Harris, S, Virginia

* Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

* Josh Shaw, CB/S, USC

* Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State

* Marcus Peters, CB, Washington

* Spencer Drango, OT, Baylor

* Cameron Erving, OT, Florida State

* A.J. Cann, OG, South Carolina

* Arie Kouandjio, OG, Alabama

* Tre Jackson, OG, FSU

* Josue Matias, OG, FSU

IDK about Drummond anymore. He looked really bad in that loss to Oregon. He really failed in his coverage duties and twice it lead to big plays (both scores iirc). It seems he lacks "eye discipline" as Mike Mayock likes to say. I like Waynes but the corner from Oregon is in a league of his own. Forget his speed and coverage ability's, he's one of the best tacklers I've seen at the CB position. I would love him in the first.

IDK about Drummond anymore. He looked really bad in that loss to Oregon. He really failed in his coverage duties and twice it lead to big plays (both scores iirc). It seems he lacks "eye discipline" as Mike Mayock likes to say. I like Waynes but the corner from Oregon is in a league of his own. Forget his speed and coverage ability's, he's one of the best tacklers I've seen at the CB position. I would love him in the first.

It would be amazing if the Colts got their hands on Ifo Ekpre-Olomu.  I didn't bother listing him or P.J. Williams of FSU because most draft sites project them to go in the top 20 of the 1st round.  Unless the Colts finish around 8-8 this season or Grigson pays big to trade up, I don't think there's a realistic chance that either one will drop to the Colts.

Here's a good column (looks like it might be a weekly column)....

It's written by former NFL Scout Daniel Jeremiah, who works for the NFL Network.

He talks to unnamed scouts around the NFL who give their view on top college players who could be NFL prospects.

A very interesting read if this material interests you.....  :thmup:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000392526/article/sources-tell-us-what-were-hearing-about-nfl-prospects

My boys from Oregon both came up big vs MSU Armstead is turning into the guy I expected when he decided to focus football no more b-ball. He is a freak 6'8" 280 just a monster. I think he will play his way into the first round this year.  And Olonu just continues to take the ball away. 

Ducks look good still hard to tell with the Irish but Golson is a difference maker for sure. If we had him last year with what we lost on D.

MSU has some talent on the back end Drummond and Waynes. They are the best team in the big ten no question IMO.

I've still got my eye on Anthony Harris, S, Virginia. He's got the sort of skills at S we're lacking.

Add Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon to the list after his showing vs Michigan St. We're improving at O-line this year but we still need to consider more investment in the OL.

And while we're at it let's add Alvin Dupree, DE, Kentucky. He's a pretty interesting OLB prospect and we have a big need for pass rushers.

Tevin Coleman IU RB

The kid fits what we do not super fast but is tough to take down is decisive puts a foot in ground and goes north to south one of the best runners in the NCAA but doesn't get much hype being from IU .

How late in the draft you think he will go if you as to say right now ?

Wide Receivers

Amari Cooper-Alabama

Willie Snead-Ball State

Jeremy Gallon Michigan

Jamison Crowder-Duke

Antwan Goodley-Baylor

Devante Davis-UNLV

Ezell Ruffin-Rutgers

Tommy Shuler-Marshall

Dres Anderson-Utah

Some people need to stop just reading from a list of players they know absolutely nothing about... A few of these guys left early and are in the NFL now.

Add:

T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh - he's new to the O-line position but already playing very effectively at the college level. Seems like a good candidate to draft and plan on usage as depth as a rookie while providing a possible long term solution at either RT or LG (with Mewhort at the other position). Has the feet to cover at LT as well, which is a plus.

Kris Frost, ILB, Auburn - I think we could use some ILB help and Frost (who is a junior) has been playing really well so far this year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Adding to my list:

Tony Lippett, WR Michigan State-He's one of those guys that just looks like an NFL player when you watch, like Carlos Hyde. He's 6'3", 190 lbs, so he has the ideal build. Lot of talk about Connor Cook, but his main playmaker doesn't get a lot of hype. He doesn't have blazing speed but he's a polished player with an incredible catch radius. He'd be a great late round pickup.