Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JJ Watt: Six years, $100m (merge)

HtownColt

The Texans are only few pieces away from becoming a playoff contender. I believe they will address all of their holes next year's draft.

We will see how Clowney does in the regular season, he might be a good candidate for a huge deal in 2-3 years time depending how he performs and if he becomes a regular pro bowler.

The way contracts are set up in the NFL most players only get guaranteed the first 3 years, after that they can be cut anytime and often are forced to restructure after the 3rd year.  There's no guaranteed contracts in the NFL like they have in MLB or NBA. Texans know damn well they aren't keeping Watts around for another 6 or 7 years unless he takes a pay cut.

WOW !!!!  100 mill with 51 mill guaranteed. Getting paid like a QB.

6469.jpg

Texans signed LE J.J. Watt to a six-year, $100 million extension, including $51.8 million guaranteed.

The new contract technically makes Watt the highest paid defender in league history, surpassing Bills DE Mario Williams' six-year, $96 million deal. Watt was already under Texans control through 2015 at a severely underpriced $8.88 million across two years, however, and it appears this extension was simply tacked onto the back end of his rookie deal. Watt spoke publicly about his desire for a long-term commitment from Houston in mid-August, which may have sparked discussions. Watt, 25, has 36.5 sacks and eight forced fumbles across his first three NFL seasons to go with an incredible 27 pass breakups, earning him the nickname "J.J. Swatt." Pro Football Focus has graded Watt as its No. 1 overall 3-4 defensive end in back-to-back years. He's arguably -- or perhaps inarguably -- the best young player in football, regardless of position.
Sep 2 - 1:0

The way contracts are set up in the NFL most players only get guaranteed the first 3 years, after that they can be cut anytime and often are forced to restructure after the 3rd year.  There's no guaranteed contracts in the NFL like they have in MLB or NBA. Texans know damn well they aren't keeping Watts around for another 6 or 7 years unless he takes a pay cut.

Watt is only 25 years old. His contract may be restructured but I feel pretty confident that Watt will be with the Texans for the entirety of his contract.

The Texans are only few pieces away from becoming a playoff contender. I believe they will address all of their holes next year's draft.

We will see how Clowney does in the regular season, he might be a good candidate for a huge deal in 2-3 years time depending how he performs and if he becomes a regular pro bowler.

I know that the salary cap has been going up but the Texans might've backed themselves into a corner. If Clowney dominates and demands a huge contract then Houston could potentially be on the hook for two defensive players are the cost of 30 million plus.

That's quite unfounded. The cap is going up significantly in coming years, so Watt's $17m/year will be manageable. And he is very plainly the best defensive player in the league, probably a top 15 player overall, and his salary reflects that.

I merged them all, and now I don't see the other two threads that were merged in. Weird. We're looking into it...

I think something happened to the other threads, it's saying 'page not found' for me.

Some dimwit merged them into the wrong thread. That person has been fired...

Should be fixed now.

This is far better for the Texans than competing for him on the open market.  I think he would easily get 19M per year.

I've always sort of wondered why players don't do this more often.  My only guess is that having that big signing bonus now as opposed to 2 years from now is important cause you never know when a blown ACL could wreak your value on the open market.

6 year $100M. $51M guaranteed.

Good deal.

An excellent deal. Worth every penny. Proud of you JJ! Now go tear that QB over there to shreds except Andrew Luck. Just drop him gently on the ground. Thanks. LOL! 

It's nice to know that the only time your nose gets bloody is on the football field instead of during tension negotiations. I don't know who is happier JJ or his agent.  :thmup:

Was really hoping he would get off the texans to a better team lol

I realize that my question is slightly off topic, but has JJ commented on his new QB Ryan Mallet from the NE Patriots? It's definitely a huge upgrade. That what JJ needs a solid QB who can generate about 24 points a game.

If Mallet can do that, watch Watt take over games like a possessed mad man just like he did at UW-Madison. A beautiful thing to watch. 

200_s.gif

Yes, on the surface over $51 million is a staggering lump of cash, but what you need to remember is that JJ always shows up on game day reeking havoc. He never disappears; His presence is always felt on the field & his motor or relentless pursuit of the QB or the ball carrier never ever stops. You can't stop him, you can't contain him, you can only slow him down temporarily. Eventually, he will break free, collapse the pocket, & kill drives dead in their tracks or he will free other lineup up that cannot all be accounted for or neutralized. 

Like Rocky Balboa's trainer Mick said about Clubber Lang in "Rocky III" "He's a wrecking machine." I'd pay top dollar for any defensive player like JJ who can bust a game wide open easy. He's not quite Lawrence Taylor, but in this era JJ is the next best thing IMO. 

If ever a non QB deserved QB level money it's JJ Watt.

I don't know if the league has ever seen a more dominate defensive lineman when you consider his all around abilities at stopping the run, rushing the passer, and knocking down the ball.  

Nice post V2004! 

What I love about JJ is this: Off the field in ordinary clothes, he is 1 of the nicest guy's you will ever meet. But have him put on pads & a helmet & he transforms into another lifeform that you never wanna go toe to toe in a dark alley or directly across from you. I have witnessed this jekyll and hyde transformation myself at Camp Randall in WI more times than I can count.

The best pass rushers have that: Manufactured intensity that they can flip on & off consistently.