Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay suspended 6 games, fined $500k (updated, merged)

csmopar

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

League will probably fine him a greater amount then the court did and suspend him for at least a couple games and yet people will complain that the league wasn't harsh enough on him.

Wish people would worry more about what the courts, the elected judges who run them and the elected prosecutors who prosecute crimes there are doing then what the National Football League is doing about it.

How will salaries get paid? Is all of the money to play the players, coaches, GM, and other staff placed in escrow before the season? If not then how does he pay the salaries if he is banned from contact with the team?

Not sure if you were on the forum when this all first jumped off. But it's been decided his daughter will run the team in his absence

League will probably fine him a greater amount then the court did and suspend him for at least a couple games and yet people will complain that the league wasn't harsh enough on him.

Wish people would worry more about what the courts, the elected judges who run them and the elected prosecutors who prosecute crimes there are doing then what the National Football League is doing about it.

He will only be fined a couple thousand dollars by the court. Its very safe to say he will get a much larger fine by the league

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 2, 2014 - offensive and quoting offensive
Hidden by Nadine, September 2, 2014 - offensive and quoting offensive

He'll get the same punishment as every other billionaire jewish guy gets.

Do you go out of your way to be offensive, or does it come natural?

I wasn't sure what the league would do a month ago. But now I believe we are for certain to lose draft picks unfortunately. Where at and how many is the question. Even though it was a whole different situation, Goodell caught hell with the Rice suspension that he apologized for immediately afterwards.

I really think he is out too make examples from here on out. He stated that nothing will be taken lightly.

So we will see.

How will salaries get paid?  Is all of the money to play the players, coaches, GM, and other staff placed in escrow before the season?  If not then how does he pay the salaries if he is banned from contact with the team?

As Tknight stated his daughter assumes his role and duties, but with any other business im sure a payroll dept is in place that will make sure each player is paid accordingly. 

Irsay's money to run the team doesn't sit in his own personal account.

There's a Colts account that is filled with his money.

That's how payroll was met when Irsay went into rehab for roughly 45 days...

There will be no problem -- none at all -- with anyone getting paid.

All NFL teams are set-up this way.....

How will salaries get paid? Is all of the money to play the players, coaches, GM, and other staff placed in escrow before the season? If not then how does he pay the salaries if he is banned from contact with the team?

That money doesn't come from his personnel checking account. His daughters are officers in the company and have access to team funds I'm sure

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 2, 2014 - offensive and quoting offensive
Hidden by Nadine, September 2, 2014 - offensive and quoting offensive

He'll get the same punishment as every other billionaire jewish guy gets.

I appreciate that you're new here,   but you should never, ever go where you did.

And you should know much better than that.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, September 2, 2014 - continuing conversation about banned poster
Hidden by Superman, September 2, 2014 - continuing conversation about banned poster

I appreciate that you're new here, but you should never, ever go where you did.

And you should know much better than that.

Check out the Michael Sam thread in NFL general. He is trying to get booted

Posted · Hidden by Superman, September 2, 2014 - continuing conversation about banned poster
Hidden by Superman, September 2, 2014 - continuing conversation about banned poster

But is this not true? How can the truth be "offensive"? I'm offended that others are offended by the truth.

There are diversity classes that might help you. 

Check out the Michael Sam thread in NFL general. He is trying to get booted

I don't get it,  whatever he said that offended (and I've got a pretty idea) has been removed....   and yet the guy continues to post like every day is the last day he'll ever be allowed to post.      Likes he's double-parked.

Hopefully there will be a flame-out in....   3....   2.....   1......

I don't get it, whatever he said that offended (and I've got a pretty idea) has been removed.... and yet the guy continues to post like every day is the last day he'll ever be allowed to post. Likes he's double-parked.

Hopefully there will be a flame-out in.... 3.... 2..... 1......

He's already been banned like 6-7 times.

Every single word in the SAM thread is the truth...don't let political correctness blind you. You know it and i do.

Ok, well bye until the next time you create an account

I wasn't sure what the league would do a month ago. But now I believe we are for certain to lose draft picks unfortunately. Where at and how many is the question. Even though it was a whole different situation, Goodell caught hell with the Rice suspension that he apologized for immediately afterwards.

I really think he is out too make examples from here on out. He stated that nothing will be taken lightly.

So we will see.

Based on what? I don't see any standing for the league to dock the team draft picks because of non-football related actions by the owner, away from team facilities, in the offseason, etc. 

@AdamSchefter: Under the NFL's constitution, Jim Irsay cannot be fined more than $500,000 unless Roger Goodell went to owners to request heavier penalties.

That's interesting. I think this is something that Goodell might do, and I think it would make sense in this case.

He will only be fined a couple thousand dollars by the court. Its very safe to say he will get a much larger fine by the league

I know that's why I said the league will fine him a greater amounts then the courts did.

But you know after that happens everyone is going to come out of the woodwork and complain about how the league gave him a slap on the wrist. . . Unless he gets the Donald Sterling treatment (which he won't) people are going to whine about it.

Meanwhile very few people are going to acknowledge that like the Ray Rice situation the courts gave him a more lenient penalty then the NFL did.

For what it's worth,  roughly a week ago,  when word of an Irsay plea-deal broke,  ESPN's John Clayton (not siting any inside league source)  opined that Irsay might get a maximum fine and a 6 month suspension. 

Obviously, 6 months would take him out of the regular season and the post-season as well.

But there was no mention of the team suffering any penalties like draft picks.

And, personally, I'd be perfectly OK with that.

So we will see.

The Ray Rice flack might cause Goodell to be harsher with Irsay then he otherwise might have been, but I don't think it will cost us draft picks.

It's a bad precedent to take draft picks for non-football related actions of the owners and Goodell knows that.  If he can do that then people will ask why he didn't do that when the Bronco's front office staff got nailed for DUI not too long ago.

However given that he will be sensitive to the Ray Rice flak he got, it wouldn't surprise me if Goodell banned Irsay for the entire year or some sort of over-reaction like that.

But right now I'm thinking it will look something like 4 games, 500,000 fine.

Thing we have to remember is that this sort of thing doesn't arise the passions of people like violence against a woman or racist comments do.  Players get busted for DUI quite often and people almost never notice and even less care what the league does to them.  

For what it's worth,  roughly a week ago,  when word of an Irsay plea-deal broke,  ESPN's John Clayton (not siting any inside league source)  opined that Irsay might get a maximum fine and a 6 month suspension. 

Obviously, 6 months would take him out of the regular season and the post-season as well.

But there was no mention of the team suffering any penalties like draft picks.

And, personally, I'd be perfectly OK with that.

Bad precedent to take draft picks as I explained in my last post.  Because then why would someone limit such things to just the owners. . . 

Draft picks I think are only going to be taken when you have a football related infraction in which the whole team or nearly the whole team was complicit.  

Irsay's money to run the team doesn't sit in his own personal account.

There's a Colts account that is filled with his money.

That's how payroll was met when Irsay went into rehab for roughly 45 days...

There will be no problem -- none at all -- with anyone getting paid.

All NFL teams are set-up this way.....

Going by training camp I thought Irsay paid everyone in person in cash with freshly minted $100 bills? He was doing the payroll run on that somewhat unfortunate night :P