Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AQ Shipley to possibly start at C for Colts come Sunday

TKnight24

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've seen Luck do well with less of an O line than this one...so let's just see what happens. Shipley is a journeyman and just bc he didn't make the 53 of one team doesn't make him chopped liver. A lot on here were screaming last year when the Colts released him. As for Denver, it takes pressure up the middle to rattle Manning. He eats blitzes alive, so our front 7 has to be stout. And if everyone is healthy, I like our front 7 this year a LOT more than last year. They looked good in the preseason, except for the Saints, and that was when a Freeman was out (who is our best LB). Plus even in that game we didn't show all our cards. I expect a tighter game than the "pundits" predict, but ultimately a Denver win, maybe pulling away in the 2nd half. That is my realistic POV. My homer take is that we keep it close and Luck makes some magic happen. But games aren't played on paper, OP.....last year everyone had us losing to SEA, SF, and DEN. We won them all. Can't wait till next Sunday!

The crazy part is.......

IF THE COLTS HAD A GOOD OFFENSIVE LINE THEY WOULD AUTOMATICALLY BECOME A "GREEAAAT" TEAM.

I really am not sure why the Colts have continually neglected the offensive line year after year... It really puzzles me.

They have to know that offensive line is possibly the most important posistions in football!

We are so extremely lucky to have Andrew Luck as our quarterback. With an average QB we would be a .500 team no doubt in my mind.

It's not even like our offensive line is good at one thing either...

Can't pass protect and sure the he** can't run block! It's absolutely dreadful to watch! Hope some of that changes this year but I'm very optimistic.

Just can't seem to figure out excuses to why the offensive line is looked away from year after year.

The crazy part is.......

IF THE COLTS HAD A GOOD OFFENSIVE LINE THEY WOULD AUTOMATICALLY BECOME A "GREEAAAT" TEAM.

I really am not sure why the Colts have continually neglected the offensive line year after year... It really puzzles me.

They have to know that offensive line is possibly the most important posistions in football!

We are so extremely lucky to have Andrew Luck as our quarterback. With an average QB we would be a .500 team no doubt in my mind.

It's not even like our offensive line is good at one thing either...

Can't pass protect and sure the he** can't run block! It's absolutely dreadful to watch! Hope some of that changes this year but I'm very optimistic.

Just can't seem to figure out excuses to why the offensive line is looked away from year after year.

grigs has drafted 5 olineman since hes been here and signed the best RT in the game. how is that neglecting the oline

What were you hoping for? Holmes got hurt, Harrison got hurt........and chances are, if they are available, it is because they didn't make someone else's 53 man roster. AQ is a serviceable center.....not great; but not horrible. He was playing Guard in Baltimore and wasn't going to beat out Zuttah for the starting center position. 

That being said, I do have my concerns about Shipley in a man blocking scheme. Probably going to have to keep the blocking scheme somewhat Vanilla at first....which may actually be a good thing.

We had a man blocking scheme even when Shipley and Arians were here.  Nothings changed that he hasn't seen

I don't disagree.....I've anticipated a loss since the schedule was released. That being said, I don't think any team in the NFL was going to come into Denver the first week of the season and win (after the Superbowl fiasco)......I wouldn't bet against Manning in that scenario no matter who they were playing.

Anyone betting on the game should look at how poorly the losing Super Bowl teams have played week 1 since 2000

Shipley is here to play C vs the Broncos not sure how much that hurts or helps us since I have never seen Holmes actually play a NFL game. How can anyone be upset when no one has ever seen the guy play in a real game?

Frustrated sick of Holmes not being on the field I get but thinking it changes the game.....what is that based on?  Pagano saying how great he is? He also said he'd be out 2-3 wks we are on day 32? 

I for one am tired of Holmes it is becoming more and more obvious he doesn't have what it takes to play this game. Shipley may very well be better than Holmes the guy has never played in a game he can barely make it through a practice. I am ready to move on.

Castonzo Mewhort Shipey Thorton Cherilus doesn't sound bad to me but they need time together that is how an O Line grows just doesn't seem Holmes is going to be able to give us that consistency. You need consistency at the C position.

The only player the Colts will miss is 98, The defense will play well and the offense is loaded with weapon we will win the game.

You criticized me for stating that Shipley couldn't make another team's 53 man squad.  I don't see how you see that statement as inaccurate when the Ravens cut him from their 53 man squad.  Please tell me how denying reality is not delusional?

I think it's delusional for you to expect the team to add a quality lineman at the end of August. Anyone you're signing is going to be someone who was cut from another team.

Or should we sign the guy that no team has wanted a part of all offseason? Or make some grand gesture and trade a draft pick for a better center -- which no team is willing to give up at this point in the season, so you'd get reamed if you even could get one -- despite the fact that our starting center is out only short term?

Sometimes, teams cut good players on cut day. I'm not a huge Shipley fan, but his familiarity with Luck and most of the other coaches makes him a solid acquisition at this point.

When players get hurt, you plug holes with whoever is available and makes sense for you. This is typical roster management.

Read what I said again. Do you happen to know who played center for most of Peyton's career in Indy? Do you know he went undrafted and didn't make the 53 for a team that gave him a tryout? BTW, do you happen to know who the team was?

If anything I said was delusional and not reality, please let me know.

If reciting history is considered delusional, we're all doomed.

I think it's delusional for you to expect the team to add a quality lineman at the end of August. Anyone you're signing is going to be someone who was cut from another team.

Or should we sign the guy that no team has wanted a part of all offseason? Or make some grand gesture and trade a draft pick for a better center -- which no team is willing to give up at this point in the season, so you'd get reamed if you even could get one -- despite the fact that our starting center is out only short term?

Sometimes, teams cut good players on cut day. I'm not a huge Shipley fan, but his familiarity with Luck and most of the other coaches makes him a solid acquisition at this point.

When players get hurt, you plug holes with whoever is available and makes sense for you. This is typical roster management.

I'm not stating that at this point it wasn't a good move.  I'm saying that once again the Colts are playing with a horrible offensive line and they are going to get destroyed by better teams like the Broncos.  Feel free to disagree but I seriously doubt that you'll be coming here admitting you were wrong if they lose as I predict they will. So many people on this forum are in for a major wake up call on Sunday.  All you delusional fanboys who can't perceive the Colts losing are going to be shown exactly how good this team is.  I'm sure you'll come up with some excuse as to why the team lost though.  You seem to be very good at maintaining a delusional optimism that everything will be okay.

grigs has drafted 5 olineman since hes been here and signed the best RT in the game. how is that neglecting the oline

This excuse is becoming so old ...

The 5 drafted OL: A 2nd rounder ... a late 3rd ... a late 4th .... and two 7ths over the last 3 years hardly qualifies as making the OL a top draft priority in my mind.  This is what I would expect from a team who already had a decent OL and were looking to upgrade or maintain it, not one that was a train wreck.

So one would think a team that knows it needs major OL work and was not spending high draft picks on it would make up for it in FA .... NOPE ... We only pick up one Tackle and one Guard worth anything.  I give Grigson credit for GC he is pretty solid.  At the time I was also behind him on the D Thomas choice as well, but figured we would also be picking up a couple more FA's (which we didn't).

He may not be completely neglecting the OL, but he is also not devoting the resources to it that it needs. Grigson has a lot of horrible decisions when it comes to the OL and it shows.

I am not advocating firing Grigson, but I do think people need to stop making excuses for him.

The 5 drafted OL: A 2nd rounder ... a late 3rd ... a late 4th .... and two 7ths over the last 3 years hardly qualifies as making the OL a top draft priority in my mind.  This is what I would expect from a team who already had a decent OL and were looking to upgrade or maintain it, not one that was a train wreck.

So one would think a team that knows it needs major OL work and was not spending high draft picks on it would make up for it in FA .... NOPE ... We only pick up one Tackle and one Guard worth anything.  I give Grigson credit for GC he is pretty solid.  At the time I was also behind him on the D Thomas choice as well, but figured we would also be picking up a couple more FA's (which we didn't).

He may not be completely neglecting the OL, but he is also not devoting the resources to it that it needs. Grigson has a lot of horrible decisions when it comes to the OL and it shows.

I am not advocating firing Grigson, but I do think people need to stop making excuses for him.

any good O-lineman in the draft is gonna be taken before we ever get on the clock and if you think we wasted our first pick taking werner instead of a lineman well guess what was the next lineman taken? menelik watson almost 20 picks later and I dont even know who that is. go ahead and tell me what o-lineman we should have signed during the off-season Ill wait

He should not have waited until August to deal with it to begin with ... can you honestly say you didn't have serious questions about this OL a long time ago?

I'm not stating that at this point it wasn't a good move. I'm saying that once again the Colts are playing with a horrible offensive line and they are going to get destroyed by better teams like the Broncos. Feel free to disagree but I seriously doubt that you'll be coming here admitting you were wrong if they lose as I predict they will. So many people on this forum are in for a major wake up call on Sunday. All you delusional fanboys who can't perceive the Colts losing are going to be shown exactly how good this team is. I'm sure you'll come up with some excuse as to why the team lost though. You seem to be very good at maintaining a delusional optimism that everything will be okay.

It's hard to get past your first sentence, given how much complaining you're doing about this move. If it's a good move, stop acting so miserable.

When have I made any prediction about the outcome of this game? You're calling people fanboys because they aren't dirging about, which is out of bounds.

He should not have waited until August to deal with it to begin with ... can you honestly say you didn't have serious questions about this OL a long time ago?

I was cautiously optimistic about the line before Holmes and Thomas were injured. I would've liked some more Free Agent action back in the spring, but I was fine with what we had.

You guys are blinded by San Francisco having solid offensive line. You draft top 10 long enough, something is gonna work for you

Grigson has drafted and signed offensive linemen with what he has to work with.

Go write a letter to the colts and tell them to tank the season so we can spend our whole draft on lineman so you all can stop complaining

any good O-lineman in the draft is gonna be taken before we ever get on the clock and if you think we wasted our first pick taking werner instead of a lineman well guess what was the next lineman taken? menelik watson almost 20 picks later and I dont even know who that is. go ahead and tell me what o-lineman we should have signed during the off-season Ill wait

First lets start in the draft you referenced .... the next C off the board was Frederick, and the next guard off board was Warford (have you heard of them) both available for us to pick.

The offseason I referenced when I said we should have taken more OL ...Schwartz, Slauson, and several others were available for less than what we were paying McGlynn.

No need to wait long!

Grigs tried in his own way, and has appeared to have failed.  3 years running now. All his O line moves are frantic reactionary attempts to keep the hope alive...  He gambled and didn't win...  as of yet. And we will determine the soundness of his decisions over the next 8-16 weeks.  Good luck, Luck....

I'm not stating that at this point it wasn't a good move. I'm saying that once again the Colts are playing with a horrible offensive line and they are going to get destroyed by better teams like the Broncos. Feel free to disagree but I seriously doubt that you'll be coming here admitting you were wrong if they lose as I predict they will. So many people on this forum are in for a major wake up call on Sunday. All you delusional fanboys who can't perceive the Colts losing are going to be shown exactly how good this team is. I'm sure you'll come up with some excuse as to why the team lost though. You seem to be very good at maintaining a delusional optimism that everything will be okay.

Delusional optimism? Losing week 1 wouldn't ruin the season so everything would still be fine. If we lose, even lose badly, it WILL still be ok. What I hate more than over optimistic fans are over pessimistic fans who criticize every wrong the Colts make and hide when good things happen. Those fans will be complaining about Grigson and Pagano and wanting them fired even though they have had success. Goodness it seems like it has to be championship or complaining.. it's a freaking game.. at least have hope in your team instead of planning for them to fail.

First lets start in the draft you referenced .... the next C off the board was Frederick, and the next guard off board was Warford (have you heard of them) both available for us to pick.

The offseason I referenced when I said we should have taken more OL ...Schwartz, Slauson, and several others were available for less than what we were paying McGlynn.

No need to wait long!

warford wasnt taken til the third round which by your logic isnt addressing the o-line and frederick was a complete reach he had a third round grade. oh yea real quality lineman you listed

I was cautiously optimistic about the line before Holmes and Thomas were injured. I would've liked some more Free Agent action back in the spring, but I was fine with what we had.

I have no problem with "cautiously optimistic"  .... but most everyone hear was worried about Holmes inexperience/injury and Thomas coming off an injury ... I want I better back up plan than throw the rookie in or play our mediocre back ups if the things that every one was concerned about (the concerns which came to fruition) happened.  He gambled on the OL last season and lost, he should have learned his lesson.

It's hard to get past your first sentence, given how much complaining you're doing about this move. If it's a good move, stop acting so miserable.

When have I made any prediction about the outcome of this game? You're calling people fanboys because they aren't dirging about, which is out of bounds.

See, I don't agree. My position is it is a reactionary "best available" move to counter multiple bad or non moves. Like banking on rooks or redshirts  with injury histories and no NFL experience on the interior line.  An area that has been problematic for 2 years straight.  now it appears, 3.. You call it what you want.  We all get to call them as we see them.

My questions about the line were about how Holmes would play and whether Thomas would stay healthy.

And just because these issues have cropped up now doesn't mean Grigson didn't try to deal with it. Costa was an option. Replaced him with Harrison. Both of our centers right now are out with relatively minor injuries, pretty recently occurred. Drafted a highly rated lineman. Signed plenty of veteran reserves.

I would have done things differently in free agency. That doesn't mean Grisgon neglected the line.

I also think it would be reasonable to wait until we see the team in action to determine what the line looks like.

See, I don't agree. My position is it is a reactionary "best available" move to counter multiple bad or non moves. Like banking on rooks or redshirts with injury histories and no NFL experience). You call it what you want. We all get to call them as we see them.

The other poster called it a good move. His statement is hypocritical.

warford wasnt taken til the third round and frederick was a complete reach he had a third round grade. oh yea real quality lineman you listed

Who cares when Warford was taken, he was there for us to pick.  Frederick was one of the top C's in the league last season, he was reach because the "draft gurus" say so?  Obviously he was not a reach!

If your snarky quality linemen remark was in reference to slauson and schwartz they were 2 of the top guards in the league last year who just got rewarded with multi year deals.

Delusional optimism? Losing week 1 wouldn't ruin the season so everything would still be fine. If we lose, even lose badly, it WILL still be ok. What I hate more than over optimistic fans are over pessimistic fans who criticize every wrong the Colts make and hide when good things happen. Those fans will be complaining about Grigson and Pagano and wanting them fired even though they have had success. Goodness it seems like it has to be championship or complaining.. it's a freaking game.. at least have hope in your team instead of planning for them to fail.

This is good stuff, and I agree.  The only problem is, Grigson has had this issue for 2 years straight, and has once again failed to fix it in his 3rd.  Don't cover up for the guy.  Let his work (or lack of) speak for itself.  And you're right, it is not just week one.  Let's reassess the O line after week 8...

Who cares when Warford was taken, he was there for us to pick.  Frederick was one of the top C's in the league last season, he was reach because the "draft gurus" say so?  Obviously he was not a reach!

If your snarky quality linemen remark was in reference to slauson and schwartz they were 2 of the top guards in the league last year who just got rewarded with multi year deals.

you dont take a player in the round ahead hes suppose to go unless youre the raiders. 

This is good stuff, and I agree. The only problem is, Grigson has had this issue for 2 years straight, and has once again failed to fix it in his 3rd. Don't cover up for the guy. Let his work (or lack of) speak for itself. And you're right, it is not just week one. Let's reassess the O line after week 8...

Yeah we'll see. It's on Grigs if this line doesn't play well. But I can see why he didn't make more moves as he thinks the development of Thorton and Holmes will show through.. and he drafted Mewhort for depth but the Thomas injuries have hurt that.

OK, wasn't following that, but I made my own statement. I'm trying not to be Hypocritical. Wishing is wasn't issue, really.... but now it might be. :(

I don't think you're being hypocritical.

But his stance has been that Grigson is terrible because he signed Shipley, "and Shipley is so terrible that he got cut by the Ravens, oh no!" Then he turns around and says that Shipley is a good move... then what's the problem? Why is everyone else delusional?

My questions about the line were about how Holmes would play and whether Thomas would stay healthy.

And just because these issues have cropped up now doesn't mean Grigson didn't try to deal with it. Costa was an option. Replaced him with Harrison. Both of our centers right now are out with relatively minor injuries, pretty recently occurred. Drafted a highly rated lineman. Signed plenty of veteran reserves.

I would have done things differently in free agency. That doesn't mean Grisgon neglected the line.

I also think it would be reasonable to wait until we see the team in action to determine what the line looks like.

You really would have felt good rolling with Costa if Holmes busted or got injured? seriously??

You say cropped up now ... like no one could have guessed ... most of the board had one reservation or another about not enough being done about the line in the offseason, many for the things that actually came to pass ... you had no worries?

He did just draft a highly rated lineman, which is great for next season ... he may turn out to be great this year but I would not want to pin my hopes to that.

My thing is many of these moves would be fine taken individually ... if the line was solid everywhere else than sure gamble at center, or if LG was are only hole, ok lets try the rookie.... but when the whole interior is a mess you don't gamble on multiple positions ... or I wouldn't. 

Do you really like Grigson's strategy for rebuilding the line?

The funny thing is the line we have now is better than what we had last year.  What can you do about injuries? They happen. I think Mewhort and Thornton are good young lineman and I think Grigs has done a good job there.  We also have two good young centers with Harrison and Holmes. As the season progresses I think we'll find out we have at least 3 good pieces for the interior, and in next years draft I'm positive Grigs will pick up a good young Tackle or two.  In my opinion I'm okay with how Grigs is putting things together, but I can certainly respect the fact that you have your own.  

People are crying about Holmes, but it's not like he's on IR or anything as he may even end up playing on Sunday.  It's already been stated by Pagano that we will know by Wednesday.  Harrisons' injury overall is minor, it just happens to be on the hand he snaps with. I think at least one of them will be ready by Sunday, but if not we'll just have to go with Shipley which I'm okay with for the most part. From there we should have both guys back for the next game from the indicators I've seen so far.

I'm not tripping over these injuries because they are not major and I think it's going to come together shortly.  The only negative thing I have to say about Grigs and Pagano right now is I think the staff mishandled the Donald Thomas situation somewhat.  I think they should have waited much longer before they had him practicing just as a precautionary measure.  It's water under the bridge now though.

I like this breakdown they did of the Colts offensive line on Colts Authority.  They see the improvement as well

http://coltsauthority.com/2014-articles/charting-the-colts-offensive-line-preseason-week-3.html

"It wasn’t a pretty game, but Andrew Luck’s struggles in Saturday’s loss to the Saints masked some promising signs for the Colts. The offensive line had its best percentages of the preseason almost across the board, including in run blocking, gap blocking, lead blocking and pass blocking (see here for an explanation of some of the terminology I use here). And the running backs were successful on 50% of their runs, after managing only 29% and 26% in the first two preseason games. League average is roughly 45%, which means that for one night, in a meaningless game, the Colts actually had an above-average running game. If not for a couple missed throws by Luck and a strange decision to run behind a certain tight end at the goal line (more on that later), everyone would be feeling pretty good about the Colts’ offense right now.

In a bizarre twist, the inside of the offensive line is suddenly starting to look better than the outside. Both tackles have played below their typical standards, albeit in exhibition games where more experienced players are probably tempted to screw around. If everyone can get on the same page and be playing well at the same time – always a big if – the blocking might finally start coming together."

Sorry,  but you're not telling the whole story.

The 2nd rounder was the first pick Grigson had to use this year.

And the 3rd and 4th were the 2nd and 3rd picks he had a year ago after drafting Werner.    So, he has used premium picks.

Besides,   he also spent premium money signing Cherilous (made him the highest paid RT in the NFL)  and he signed Thomas to a starters-level contract.

The 7th rounders mean little to me....   But when push comes to shove,  Grigson has drafted and spent top dollars trying to build the o-line.     It just hasn't worked out the way anyone expected or hoped.    At least,  not yet.