Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

grigs quiet?

CR91

The first post Peyton team was an absolute miracle. Home run on the draft and a bunch of overachieving rookies lead to a playoff appearance. Last year, given the injuries to front line players, we saw significant moves made during the season in part out of necessity. Perhaps this season Grigs like what we have and the lack of moves is actually a positive sign.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really they are no longer over hauling the roster. As your talent gets better the less moves you make because even your low end talent is probably better than what's out there in a lot of cases. Still I think they have to bring in at least tackle unless someone makes a shocking recoverary.

Am I the only one who thinks improving the ground game is way more important than protecting Andrew Luck?

I don't know how others feel, but if there has to be a choice I'd say protecting the QB is the prime directive.

Obviously I'm not saying abandon the run. I think Pep figured it out though, with Andrew and all the weapons, the pass will be used to set up the run. So, in that respect, it's more important to protect the QB. Just MHO.

Maybe we should play a game before we decide our O Line is in need of major upgrades. The T positions are fine. Thorton is going back to RG and Mewhort at LG that should be solid it comes back to our C.

We are in a bit of pinch for depth until some guys get healed up. Which should be pretty quick. Reitz Nixon Louis Harrison now Shipley isn't all bad.

I continue to believe if Holmes is what the coachs think he is the O Line could be much improved but he is going to have to get on the field and stay there for that to happen. For me that is the most frustrating player on the entire team.

Oh and Pep Mewhort can't make that pull please show us you learned that in the preseason.

he drafted 4 olineman in the last two drafts. he signed one of the best RTs in the game. what else do you want

Not having a defender in the backfield every time Luck hands the ball off would be good. Being able to run the ball with about 4 minutes to go in a game and a 2 point lead would be good. Show run, run and the opposing defense still cant stop you from running would be good. That's all 

Not having a defender in the backfield every time Luck hands the ball off would be good. Being able to run the ball with about 4 minutes to go in a game and a 2 point lead would be good. Show run, run and the opposing defense still cant stop you from running would be good. That's all

Not everything is perfect

Hopefully

LOL

I don't know how others feel, but if there has to be a choice I'd say protecting the QB is the prime directive.

Obviously I'm not saying abandon the run. I think Pep figured it out though, with Andrew and all the weapons, the pass will be used to set up the run. So, in that respect, it's more important to protect the QB. Just MHO.

I should rephrase.

Obviously, choosing between the two, you have to keep Luck upright to whatever degree is possible. But when you're putting an offense together, you can use a variety of methods to improve your protection. Getting better players is obviously everyone's favorite method, but you can't always have the best players, and I think good schemes and execution can be better than good players. That's why people always talk about chemistry and execution and "the sum is greater than the parts" when it comes to offensive line.

Between sliding protections, keeping extra blockers in, and the QB being decisive, you can make up for deficiencies due to personnel or injuries, or whatever. And I think part of the reason Luck has been hit so much the last two years is that a) our schemes don't do enough to make up for our personnel deficiencies, and b) the QB holds the ball too in the pocket, rather than throwing hot (and part of that is scheme and poor receivers), or getting out and running, which he's very good at.

After getting sacked five times against the Titans, Luck was only sacked 3 times in the next five games, including against the Bengals when we threw the ball a ton trying to come back (no sacks), and against the Chiefs in the playoffs in a similar situation (1 sack). Even with a bad offensive line, you can keep pressure off your QB.

But when it's time to run the ball, if you can't run block, you can't run. Yeah, there's misdirection and whatnot, but sometimes, you just have to power your way forward in crucial, short yardage situations. Or at least, it should be a legitimate option. 

So what I keep seeing and hearing is "the Colts have to fix the offensive line in order to keep Luck upright," and I think, whether the offensive line improves or not, we can do a better job of keeping Luck upright with scheme and execution. I'm more concerned with us being better at running the football. Yeah, we can use the pass to set up the run, and we can be smarter with traps and draws and all that, but if you want to be able to line up and run the football, for whatever reason, you have to be able to run block. To me, that lack of a rushing attack is going to hold the offense back, even if the protection is better.

/rant

I believe the O line is fine apart from injuries. Luck needs to do his part and get rid of the ball faster. Peyton had a good O line maybe a couple of years while he was with the Colts, the rest of the time he made them look OK with his knowing what to do with the ball quickly.

Luck can do that as well as he studies the defenses more and acquires more experience, it's up to him.

Yeah, one will really help. How about signing five or six and fixing this problem instead of just applying temporary patches?

Seriously?

There aren't 5 or 6 to sign now.     And you should know that.

The truth is all 32 teams are short handed on the OL.    It's a common problem throughout the NFL.    Everyone wishes they had more,  not just the Colts.

Temporary patches you say?

2013,  Grigson signs Thomas and Cherilus to start.    And then uses his 2nd and 3rd picks (3rd and 4th round) to draft Thornton and Holmes.    That's four premium moves to help the OL.

2014.   He signs Costa to back-up Holmes and the guy retires.    He uses his top draft pick (2nd round)  to take Mewhort, a kid who can help along the OL.

Grigson has not been taking a patchwork approach.   He's been using premium money and premium draft picks to try and get this right.

It hasn't worked out as anyone had hoped for.....  but that doesn't mean Grigson hasn't tried to fix it the right way.

LOL

I should rephrase.

Obviously, choosing between the two, you have to keep Luck upright to whatever degree is possible. But when you're putting an offense together, you can use a variety of methods to improve your protection. Getting better players is obviously everyone's favorite method, but you can't always have the best players, and I think good schemes and execution can be better than good players. That's why people always talk about chemistry and execution and "the sum is greater than the parts" when it comes to offensive line.

Between sliding protections, keeping extra blockers in, and the QB being decisive, you can make up for deficiencies due to personnel or injuries, or whatever. And I think part of the reason Luck has been hit so much the last two years is that a) our schemes don't do enough to make up for our personnel deficiencies, and b) the QB holds the ball too in the pocket, rather than throwing hot (and part of that is scheme and poor receivers), or getting out and running, which he's very good at.

After getting sacked five times against the Titans, Luck was only sacked 3 times in the next five games, including against the Bengals when we threw the ball a ton trying to come back (no sacks), and against the Chiefs in the playoffs in a similar situation (1 sack). Even with a bad offensive line, you can keep pressure off your QB.

But when it's time to run the ball, if you can't run block, you can't run. Yeah, there's misdirection and whatnot, but sometimes, you just have to power your way forward in crucial, short yardage situations. Or at least, it should be a legitimate option. 

So what I keep seeing and hearing is "the Colts have to fix the offensive line in order to keep Luck upright," and I think, whether the offensive line improves or not, we can do a better job of keeping Luck upright with scheme and execution. I'm more concerned with us being better at running the football. Yeah, we can use the pass to set up the run, and we can be smarter with traps and draws and all that, but if you want to be able to line up and run the football, for whatever reason, you have to be able to run block. To me, that lack of a rushing attack is going to hold the offense back, even if the protection is better.

/rant

Just wanted to say I'm sorry I can't give this more than one "like."  

Especially the idea of scheme and execution.

What I ***HATED*** about the Arians scheme was that it was primarily a 7-step drop behind a terrible OL and Luck waited and waited and waited for WR's to get open and throw the ball.     There was very little 3-step or 5-step drops...   very few roll outs...  and when the defense knows where the QB is going to be about 90% of the time,  it makes their job that much easier.   Luck was going to be 7-10 yards behind the center.   

I think as the running game went sideways last year,  Pep did a better job of getting more 3 and 5 step plays and more quick throws out of the shotgun or pistol.    The line wasn't much better than in '12, but I think we did a better job schematically of getting the ball out of Andrew's hand.    Your notes on sacks in late games points to that.

This year....  I hope to see that right out of the gate.   Frankly, the o-line scares the poop out of me.   So, as I watch Andrew week after week,  my primary thought is going to be for him to get the ball out of his hand ASAP!    I hope Pep finds a way to turn this concept into a successful scheme week after week.....

That's what I'd like to see.....

(And thanks for doing such a nice job of putting your thoughts together....)

LOL

I should rephrase.

/rant

So many good points, it's refreshing to read a well thought out post every now and then.  Can't argue with any of it.

To me, the jury is still out on Pep being able to call the plays where he not only takes advantage of our talent but avoids putting us in plays where our weaknesses are evident.  For example, any run play that depends on Coby to make a key block.

LOL

I should rephrase.

/rant

This! ^ You nailed it

Our primary running back (Trent) can't seem to do anything unless the Oline opens up a hole to run through.  And that isn't happening all that often so I'd say improving the Oline is necessary to improve the ground game. 

The tackles are fine...it's the interior where the Colts have been hurting.  I suspect Griggs will wait to see how the line performs with A.Q. Shippley or maybe a healthy Holmes and Mewhort before making any major adjustments/additions there. 

Shipley! lmao. Pray he is cut ASAP when we get healthy.

There is a Trent problem. The guy looks to run up the middle or to the right and misses decent blocking behind AC.

Slow to react to blitzes, and SLOW upstairs! Fix that! lol

Shipley! lmao. Pray he is cut ASAP when we get healthy.

There is a Trent problem. The guy looks to run up the middle or to the right and misses decent blocking behind AC.

Slow to react to blitzes, and SLOW upstairs! Fix that! lol

It appears you have me mistaken for a Trent apologist. I am not. 

Actually my criticisms of Trent are well documented on this board.  I agree that there is a Trent problem.  That said...one of the few things that he does reasonably well is pass block (in addition to catching passes out of the backfield) so I'm not sure where your criticism of his blitz recognition skills is coming from.

Regardless of Trent's personal deficiencies...it can not be ignored that our offensive line is a mess particularly in the middle. If it isn't fixed our running game will continue to be inadequate and Luck just might have his 2014 season ended prematurely.  That's the risk we are facing here.

As far as A.Q. Shippley goes...of course no one here is delusional enough too believe that he is the answer.  However, he is at the very least some semblance of depth.  We had virtually nothing...so getting some one who is familiar with our system, who played respectably while here and who has versatility to play multiple possessions isn't a bad waiver pick up. 

I am simply saying that I expect Griggs to assess the OLine for the first few regular season games before deciding what additional moves if any are needed.  Personally though if it were up to me, I'd have Incognito in here this week learning alongside Shippley.

The line isn`t in dissaray. We have decent players who are injured and will be back. Do you give them to other teams to sign some guy who won`t be ready for weeks and weeks. You people...

Wait?    What?!?

You people?     The line isn't in disarray?

Let's recap, shall we?

-- at LG, Thomas, hurt, lost for the season

-- His replacement, Mewhort, the rookie, seems to have a bad knee and misses lots of practice.

-- at C, Holmes is currently hurt and not likely back for another week or two.

-- His replacement, Shipley was just signed as a FA from another team.   He's learning the playbook this week!

-- and Shipley's back-up, Harrison, has a bad thumb on his snapping hand.

-- and the guy Harrison replaced, Costa,  retired less than a month after signing as a FA

-- at RG, Thornton also seems to be banged up and misses lots of practice.

-- his replacement, Louis, seems to have impressed nobody.

-- at RT, Cherilus just got abused in the only pre-season game that counts.

-- His replacement, Nixon, is out with a knee injury, his return back is unknown.

-- And Nixon's replacement, Reitz just got hurt with a high ankle sprain and his return back is unknown.

-- We just signed two OL today.... one to be on the 53 and another to be on the PS.

Whoever winds up starting Sunday night, will have only played a few days of practice together....

If all of that isn't the very textbook definition of offensive line in disarray, then I'm not sure what is?

I'm not sure why you'd claim the opposite?

And you say....   "oh you people...."        Seriously?

Come on now....

The line isn`t in dissaray. We have decent players who are injured and will be back. Do you give them to other teams to sign some guy who won`t be ready for weeks and weeks. You people...

Wait?    What?!?

You people?   

For all those screaming for a guard Grigson did an interview on 1070 where he was about Incognito and while he didn't say no he did say "guard isn't the issue right one." I think he's sticking with the guards he has.

Donald Thomas is on IR.

Mewort is banged up.

Louis has looked like crap and we don't know what we have in Thornton.

I'd say we need another guard.

Wait?    What?!?

Let's recap, shall we?

-- His replacement, Mewhort, the rookie, seems to have a bad knee and misses lots of practice.

-- His replacement, Shipley was just signed as a FA from another team.   He's learning the playbook this week!

-- and the guy Harrison replaced, Costa,  retired less than a month after signing as a FA

-- His replacement, Nixon, is out with a knee injury, his return back is unknown.

-- And Nixon's replacement, Reitz just got hurt with a high ankle sprain and his return back is unknown.

-- We just signed two OL today.... one to be on the 53 and another to be on the PS.

Whoever winds up starting Sunday night, will have only played a few days of practice together....

If all of that isn't the very textbook definition of offensive line in disarray, then I'm not sure what is?

Come on now....

It will be AC, Mewhort, Shipley, Thornton, and Cherilus.  I will go to battle with those guys.

Depth does look bad since we are injured.  Lance Louis has impressed Grigson.  He made the roster.  Lets not make Louis 'Link' just for the sake of slamming someone. (Not directed at you NCF)

If needed, Harrison can play guard too, and we do have a backup at tackle in Merideth.

Lets go to Denver and play football....we need to do what WE can control.  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!

This.

Doesn't matter how much we improve the run if Luck is in a cast on the sidelines.

Just wanted to say I'm sorry I can't give this more than one "like."  

Especially the idea of scheme and execution.

What I ***HATED*** about the Arians scheme was that it was primarily a 7-step drop behind a terrible OL and Luck waited and waited and waited for WR's to get open and throw the ball.     There was very little 3-step or 5-step drops...   very few roll outs...  and when the defense knows where the QB is going to be about 90% of the time,  it makes their job that much easier.   Luck was going to be 7-10 yards behind the center.   

I think as the running game went sideways last year,  Pep did a better job of getting more 3 and 5 step plays and more quick throws out of the shotgun or pistol.    The line wasn't much better than in '12, but I think we did a better job schematically of getting the ball out of Andrew's hand.    Your notes on sacks in late games points to that.

This year....  I hope to see that right out of the gate.   Frankly, the o-line scares the poop out of me.   So, as I watch Andrew week after week,  my primary thought is going to be for him to get the ball out of his hand ASAP!    I hope Pep finds a way to turn this concept into a successful scheme week after week.....

That's what I'd like to see.....

(And thanks for doing such a nice job of putting your thoughts together....)

NCF, I usually like the points you make, even if I'm not always on board.  But I wanted to know why you even brought the paragraph in Bold to that table?  Yes, lucks sack rate per dropback was 6.5% in 2012 vs 5.6% in 2013.  But did you know, Luck Got_Hit more in 2013 than 2012, and the combined Hit +Sacks was the exact same rate both years?  The math has been done and it was posted earlier in another thread where Arians scheme was trashed.  So no gain in the Sack + hit rate, marginally improved completion % and less INT.  But also much less total yards and 3rd down % fell into the toilet.  Both years net a 11 - 5 record.

2012-

2012ColtsO_zps266ce9e1.png

2013-

2013ColtsO_zpsa52dc272.png

Here's an interesting tweet over the summer. The number of hits (not including sacks) some noteworthy QB's have endured over the last two years-

QBHits12_13combo_zpsa2811dfd.png

Before the last game last year, Football Outsiders had quoted this in an article-

"Nobody in the NFL gets knocked to the ground after a pass quite like Andrew Luck. Luck has 78 QB hits through 15 weeks, including plays cancelled by penalty. That's 25 more than any other quarterback in the league, a huge margin. This isn't a one-year thing, either. In his rookie year, Luck had 83 QB hits, which also led the league and was 22 more than any other quarterback. (Matt Ryan, incidentally, is second this year and was also second a year ago.)"

And you can see, Lucks hits are about even each year, even with less passes in 2013. So you can't blame Arians' O without blaming Pep's equally.  That means Luck is cause for a lot of those, yes?  But he can't be accountable for all.  And scheme is already proven equal, so that is out.  The rest has to fall on the Offensive line.  So Lucks decision making and the (in)ability of the O line to pass or run block is where I think the discussion should center on, not some (very effective in a different way) O scheme long departed to Arizona you don't like.  Let's figure out how Luck and Pep can improve this, because going to a more efficient O didn't help.

OK, off the/soap box

Seriously?

There aren't 5 or 6 to sign now.     And you should know that.

The truth is all 32 teams are short handed on the OL.    It's a common problem throughout the NFL.    Everyone wishes they had more,  not just the Colts.

Temporary patches you say?

2013,  Grigson signs Thomas and Cherilus to start.    And then uses his 2nd and 3rd picks (3rd and 4th round) to draft Thornton and Holmes.    That's four premium moves to help the OL.

2014.   He signs Costa to back-up Holmes and the guy retires.    He uses his top draft pick (2nd round)  to take Mewhort, a kid who can help along the OL.

Grigson has not been taking a patchwork approach.   He's been using premium money and premium draft picks to try and get this right.

It hasn't worked out as anyone had hoped for.....  but that doesn't mean Grigson hasn't tried to fix it the right way.

This, oh jesus this.

Folks don't seem to understand that in the last two years, we had 12 draft picks, and of those 12 picks we spent FOUR on offensive line. That's 1/3 of our draft picks in the last two years, including a 2nd round a 3rd round and a 4th round. 

He did also address the safety issue too, it's just the kid went and got himself arrested. (You can't arrest me, I'm a Colt!)

Wait?    What?!?

Let's recap, shall we?

Come on now....

very well said. that is why is grigs stated on 1070 that he is still looking

Donald Thomas is on IR.

Mewort is banged up.

Louis has looked like crap and we don't know what we have in Thornton.

I'd say we need another guard.

don't shoot the messenger I am just passing along what Grigson said.

He talked awhile about Shipley and talked about how well Shipley did stsrting 8 games at guard for the Ravens last year. So my guess is he feels Shipley can slide over at guard if needed. Also I would suspect he's higher on Louis and Thornton than the forum is.

don't shoot the messenger I am just passing along what Grigson said.

He talked awhile about Shipley and talked about how well Shipley did stsrting 8 games at guard for the Ravens last year. So my guess is he feels Shipley can slide over at guard if needed. Also I would suspect he's higher on Louis and Thornton than the forum is.

He also stated "We knew Shipley was a very good center."