Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No safety help?

BProland85

I would hope we would target one of the following...

Daniel Manning

Ed Reynolds

Kenny Ladler

All three are probably better than Colt Anderson and we can't count on Delano Howell or Laron Landry to stay healthy

Manning is going back to Houston per nfl.com. The others I'm not sure.

My guess...And this is just a guess based on Purifoys skill set is this, According to the roster on Colts.com the team currently has 3 Safeties...I don't even see Howell on the roster list currently so either I missed something or there is a typo, If we in fact have 3 Safeties in the active roster then I am willing to bet that position coaches and Pagano see that Purifoy can play that 5th Corner as well as Safety........Edit,,,,I skipped over Brown

My guess...And this is just a guess based on Purifoys skill set is this, According to the roster on Colts.com the team currently has 3 Safeties...I don't even see Howell on the roster list currently so either I missed something or there is a typo, If we in fact have 3 Safeties in the active roster then I am willing to bet that position coaches and Pagano see that Purifoy can play that 5th Corner as well as Safety........Edit,,,,I skipped over Brown

You still make a good point. I know Sergio wanted to compete for the job but I don't think he impressed anyone. His ST skills are what keeps him on the team.

So maybe Purifoy does come in before Colt. I'm still hoping we get some decent help.

Daniel Manning

Ed Reynolds

Kenny Ladler

All three are probably better than Colt Anderson and we can't count on Delano Howell or Laron Landry to stay healthy

Howell isn't even on our roster. He's gonna be IR'd if even that. May retire

bailey is old and washed up he is the reason the ravens upset the broncos in 12 playoffs and the reason dhb scored a td versus denver last year

Bailey was not the guy who got burned by the long Denver pass in the '12 playoffs.    That was a safety out of UCLA,  I think his last name is Moore.

We won't be getting anybody. We'll bank on the health of Adams and Landry and hope if Brown or Anderson play, they will play well. I believe we kept Anderson over Mcdonald because of his special team skill and Mcdonald didn't show much in preseason.. but if Anderson or Brown don't perfrom when given the chance, Mcdonald will step in.

Anderson is Grig's boy from Philly and he and Brown make our coverage team pretty good. I thought he did fine when given the chance in the preseason. I don't remember any huge mistakes anyway

We got lucky with Adams I thought he was someone we should have brought in earlier anyway. He isn't making the pro bowl but can play.

I said this at the beginning of the off season I don't think he coaching staff see's S as the big problem that the board does. That being said I could see another vet being  brought in but not at the expense of Colt. He is a special teams ace. I think it would send Tipton to the PS.

As far as the PS we like Dewey Grig's said there was nothing at S better than what we had after the draft and judging by all the cuts and these S's without homes it looks like he might have been right. I would not hold my breath on us grabbing a S from a practice squad barring an injury.

The two guys I wanted us to take both ended up in Oakland never to be heard from again Gabe Jackson G and Jonathan Dowling S. Dowling was a 7th round pick was hoping he'd  be cut. He made it I doubt we would have bit anyway.

Howell was waived/injured, I think he will clear and we put him on IR. I agree with you on Purifoy's skill set and would like to see how he does at safety.

Got rid of a pro bowl safety and trying to replace him with trash that couldn't make any other teams 53 man squad. More genius from the Colts franchise.

AB got payed way more than what he ever we would have offered him - good for him. We're playing with guys who may pan out, but only time will tell. I think it's a bit early to call them trash, though.

Bethea has not been a Pro Bowl caliber Safety in a few years and he left his hands clear back in the year 2009, I wish him the best but given that Bethea has started 50 more games then Adams and Adams has just as many total plays on the ball that Bethea has then in the same time frame its honestly hard to say Grigson did not upgrade. The total tackle numbers are not that far apart also given that games started fact

AB got payed way more than what he ever we would have offered him - good for him. We're playing with guys who may pan out, but only time will tell. I think it's a bit early to call them trash, though.

Yes, because clearly other teams didn't want them because they were just too good.  I seriously question the intelligence of some of the people here.

Daniel Manning

Ed Reynolds

Kenny Ladler

All three are probably better than Colt Anderson and we can't count on Delano Howell or Laron Landry to stay healthy

I think we could consider Bailey as a fs option I know he play cb but, with he experience in the back half of the defense I think he could be like a watered down reed type player. I think he has some gas left in the tank and lots of cb make the transition to fs after they lose a step. I think I could work allowing Landry to play close to the line of scrimmage. If we need send a safety blitz with Landry we would have a ex cb out there covering which would be in our favor

Yes, because clearly other teams didn't want them because they were just too good. I seriously question the intelligence of some of the people here.

I'm all for playful banter on a forum about a football team we love, but you shouldn't call out the intelligence of hundreds of people just because you have the ability to behind your computer screen.

Grigs I know your reading this!!!

I hope that you really don't think this is a reality on any level. In my opinion, the only way Grigs would take the time to look at anything on a message board, would be to get a laugh at some ridiculous statement that another coach pointed to by sticking a laptop in his face. Even then he would likely say, "I don't have time for this". 

At least that is how I see it in my world.

Oh I share in the frustration and uncertainty of the O line certainly.  I'd like to see the unit healthy and taking snaps together in games before sounding the panic alarm to quickly though.  I don't believe that we need 5 pro bowlers up front in order to be effective.  I'd like to see the running game actually get on track and see some long runs.  I don't want to spend a season watching Luck running for his life or throwing tons of passes because our RB's are being greeted in the backfield by defenders as soon as they take the handoff.  I feel the same way about our Secondary in seeing what they can accomplish.   I just wanted Clemons picked up in FA to address our Safety need and still would like to see him brought in.