Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign AQ Shipley, Waive Thomas Austin [Merge]

BlueShoe

Sounds like Shipley would prefer to play center than guard

New #colts C AQ Shipley eager to reconnect w/Indy. Back at C after mostly playing G with Ravens . . . "opportunity to get back to natural...

#colts Shipley: "... position at center and compete. Hopefully there’s an opportunity to come in and compete and ultimately get ...

Mike Chappell @mchappell51  ·  36m

#colts Shipley: '...that starting job. That’s why I play the game. If not, I’ll be ready to play all the interior positions.'

I glad we got Shipley back.  I am unsure though how long he'll be here.  I don't think Harrisons' injury is something that is going to keep him down for multiple games.  In the case of Holmes I get the impression there's a chance he may or may not be ready for Sunday, but I think he'll be ready for game 2. At that point I think both Harrison and Holmes will be ready.  I'd have to question if we would continue on with Shipley from there unless we think he's good reserve value at one of the guard spots.  I could be wrong, but it's just my take on the issue.

'

Sounds like Shipley would prefer to play center than guard

f3690ea4796a36e5a54d33f8e9363817_normal.Mike Chappell @mchappell51 · 37m

New #colts C AQ Shipley eager to reconnect w/Indy. Back at C after mostly playing G with Ravens . . . "opportunity to get back to natural...

f3690ea4796a36e5a54d33f8e9363817_normal.Mike Chappell @mchappell51 · 36m

#colts Shipley: "... position at center and compete. Hopefully there’s an opportunity to come in and compete and ultimately get ...

Mike Chappell @mchappell51 · 36m

#colts Shipley: '...that starting job. That’s why I play the game. If not, I’ll be ready to play all the interior positions.'

Super Bowl bound!!!

:cheer: :cheer:

I bet Shipley starts, Either way Im not sure what to make of the signing, Shipley was nothing all that good in starts as a Colt though was  way better then Satele at Center (and held his own against some much bigger NT's)...That means nothing however. The real news is how long does this mean Holmes will be out

So we have 3 centers on our roster now? Shipley did start 8 games a LG last year so hopefully he has improved as a G. That would theoretically give us back ups at all spots on the O Line.

2nd team line Nixon Shipley Harrison Louis Reitz which looks pretty good except that Reitz is at least a month away from playing if he really has a high ankle sprain and Nixon was expected to be out until the end of August recovering from knee surgery.

May see a move for a T and Harrison to the PS unless they are comfortable with Mewhort being the primary T back up until  Nixon is ready to go.

I glad we got Shipley back.  I am unsure though how long he'll be here.  I don't think Harrisons' injury is something that is going to keep him down for multiple games.  In the case of Holmes I get the impression there's a chance he may or may not be ready for Sunday, but I think he'll be ready for game 2. At that point I think both Harrison and Holmes will be ready.  I'd have to question if we would continue on with Shipley from there unless we think he's good reserve value at one of the guard spots.  I could be wrong, but it's just my take on the issue.

'

Fair points to debate, but just because Homes and Harrison get healthy again to play at some point, it doesn't mean they will stay healthy going forward. Especially if they are rushed back into action.

He's not a good guard, which is what they tried to force him to play, much like we forced McGlynn at guard for two seasons. I think he'll be a solid backup center for us. Shouldn't even have been traded in the first place. Glad Grigson signed him back. Seemed like the most likely signing, being that he's already familiar with Pagano and many of the players on the roster

He was only playing guard due to injuries

Fair points to debate, but just because Homes and Harrison get healthy again to play at some point, it doesn't mean they will stay healthy going forward. Especially if they are rushed back into action.

Yeah but you can't play both of them at the same time.  If they are both healthy then one of them is not even going to be playing unless there is an emergency within a game.  If we are anything like we were last year we'll have the starting center, a back up and a guy who can play dual roles.  I'm pondering whether they want to use Shipley for that, or will they do something else.

Yeah but you can't play both of them at the same time.  If they are both healthy then one of them is not even going to be playing unless there is an emergency within a game.  If we are anything like we were last year we'll have the starting center, a back up and a guy who can play dual roles.  I'm pondering whether they want to use Shipley for that, or will they do something else.

One of the best abilities is availability.  I don't think Holmes nor Harrison have set a solid foundation on that front. Shipley wants to compete for the starter job.  If he can't crack our lineup, he knows he'll be a G / C fill in where injury to those above him dictate.

One of the best abilities is availability.  I don't think Holmes nor Harrison have set a solid foundation on that front. Shipley wants to compete for the starter job.  If he can't crack our lineup, he knows he'll be a G / C fill in where injury to those above him dictate.

I can respect your point of view on the issue.  Now to me I think the Colts have made it clear that Holmes is the starter, but I could see a scenario where maybe Shipley could beat out Harrison, but my gut says it won't happen.  But overall you are right in saying that none of them are firmly entrenched as "The Guy".

I wonder exactly how much of the offense Shipley remembers?  Will he be prepared enough to be the snapper on game day if need be?

Wasn't Shipley here under Bruce Arians playbook and play calls?  He'll have to study to know Peps system, I believe.  Here is nice article-

http://naptownsfinest.com/2014/08/31/colts-sign-center-aq-shipley-finalize-practice-squad/

Wasn't Shipley here under Bruce Arians playbook and play calls?  He'll have to study to know Peps system, I believe.  Here is nice article-

http://naptownsfinest.com/2014/08/31/colts-sign-center-aq-shipley-finalize-practice-squad/

He was here even after Arians left.  All the way up until May, so I'm thinking he had access to Peps playbook up until that point.  Could be wrong.

I supposed there is something about Thomas Austin that the staff does not like.  He's been on and off the squad for a while now and should know the playbook and the calls.  I haven't gotten to see Austin play, but his performance must still not be quite where it needs to be obviously.

Okay colts nation need some input from you guys. I know Shipley was better then Satele but for some odd reason satele got the starting job at center. So comparing Shipley to Holmes and Harrison who would be better as our long term starting center?

Tough to answer.  The easiest thing would be that Holmes is the starter and everyone else falls in line.  But Holmes has suffered leg and ankle injuries at USC and with us. He got injured first drive in 1 st exhibition game.  He has hardly even played any games in the NFL yet.  So he is a smart and talented guy that shows no ability to stay healthy. So that brings us to Shipley (drafted 7th round by Steelers) and Harrison (undrafted free agent). Shipley is a center who we and Ravens tried to convert to guard.  He was a poor Guard, but looked serviceable at center when Satele was too injured to play.  Makes sense because it is a more natural position for Shipley. So that brings us to Harrison, who was the center on a generally horrid Florida offense (for them).  But he has proven to be a hard worker, and Pagano loves that.  and he didn't fold like a cheap Wal-Mart lawn chair when shoved into the center position when Holmes went down to injury. (Well, after an errant snap, that is). So if Holmes can stay on the field, Homes will likely have the spot.  If he keeps going down with foot, ankle, leg injuries as he has been recently.  Shipley and Harrison will fight it out.  AQ wanting a starting job, and Harrison showing grit and strong work ethic.  So.... who the heck knows from day to day.