Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rams release Michael Sam...

Sports Central1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what? Him and a lot of other players got cut. I think we have enough coverage of Sam as it is. Are we suppose to be overly concerned because he is gay? I don't care, if he cant play he needs to go just like anyone else that cant play in the NFL.

I like Michael Sam.  I just don't like ES(Suspend)PN and their race baiting.

I'd love to see all athletes in the U.S. go a full year by boycotting the media 100%.  No interviews at all.

Athletes like everyone now has the power to take full advantage of the "new media" and social networking (YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) and make their own videos to post up for everyone around the world to see so it's unedited and they can control the narrative and not have to stand there in front of their locker with reporters who manipulate and take out of context what the athlete said.  This is directed mostly towards the Rams' locker room and their coaching staff who are going to be inundated with this.

He is a designated pass rusher that cannot play special teams and that is where it hurts him. The downside is that if you pick him up on waivers, you have to provide a roster spot for him. You are better off claiming him as a free agent to develop him by asking him to lose weight so that he can contribute in several places including designated pass rusher and special teams.

Odds are he will be back on the Rams' PS where they might do exactly what I said above.

I don't get it. Why did the Rams waste a draft pick if they were just going to cut him regardless of a stellar preseason? First, his signing brought a media circus to the team. Second, I felt he played strongly. Third, oh the Rams are deep at the D-Line position you say?... Then why did they waste a draft pick on Michael Sam then!?

As the poster above mentioned, it might be true they are planning on reclaiming him off free agency, but I doubt other teams will give them that chance. Michael Sam's stock has rose, and now that we know the NFL players are alright with a gay player (since the Rams were the guinea pigs), Sam's stock will rise even further.

I'd bet Jeff Fisher had a say in all this. I'd swear that guy is trying to make teams dysfunctional on purpose. He better put that Colts jersey back on to feel like a winner.

Third, oh the Rams are deep at the D-Line position you say?... Then why did they waste a draft pick on Michael Sam then!?

My gut feeling is that they did not expect that free agent Westbrook DL to play as well as he did to take the roster spot over Sam. Sam would have still made the roster if not for Westbrook, that is what I heard. There was still room for him as the 9th DL, a lot of teams carry 9 DLs but he was caught in a big numbers situation there. If he had gone somewhere else, he may have had a chance as the last DL, I felt and that is where the Rams did him a bit of disservice long term even though it felt like they helped him short term.

Sam played excellent in the preseason. Dude put up 3 sacks. How he didn't make the team...I'll tell you why, Same reason Tebow doesn't play, the same reason Manziel wont get the start...Teams don't like media frenzies at their practices.

Oh stop. He was beat out. He was on the bubble. The Rams would have never drafted him if they were afraid of the media frenzie. And Tebow does not play because he can't play QB. Three teams took a flier on him and he was not even good enough to play back up. Manziel is on the Browns and has a 50/50 chance of starting this season depending on how Hoyer fairs.

Oh stop. He was beat out. He was on the bubble. The Rams would have never drafted him if they were afraid of the media frenzie.

Yes, I can hear it now..."We don't want a media frenzy, so let's go ahead and draft him." Sounds legit.

As well as he played in preseason, this is an injustice on the Ram's fault.

Hope all of you are happy though that hate the poor fellow just cause "wah ESPN talks about him a lot, wah"

I had read that even though his performance in preseason games was pretty good his performance in practices hadn't been so great.  I really think he got a fair shot and was just drafted into a situation that wasn't a good fit for either party. I expect he'll catch on somewhere else.

I too like to go onto forums and make posts about things I don't care about.  Fun stuff no?

Absolutely.  It's also great to make a big deal out of something because it's in style or "cool" to do so, so let's make everyone feels sorry for this player and we'll downplay his mistakes because we don't want to seem hateful.  

Absolutely.  It's also great to make a big deal out of something because it's in style or "cool" to do so, so let's make everyone feels sorry for this player and we'll downplay his mistakes because we don't want to seem hateful.  

I don't think most of us are here so we can feel sorry for the guy.  He had a fair shot and it didn't work out.  I think he showed that he could probably contribute to some team out there just not the Rams.  You seem awful worked up about something you don't care about..relax, its the weekend :applause:

I don't think most of us are here so we can feel sorry for the guy.  He had a fair shot and it didn't work out.  I think he showed that he could probably contribute to some team out there just not the Rams.  You seem awful worked up about something you don't care about..relax, its the weekend :applause:

Not worked up in the least bit but you seem so.

Noted. Chin up Pacolts56, you got 1! 

Thanks Bobby!

But seriously, why not the 49ers?

The depth chart right now shows 3 OLBs if you count Smith's suspension....and the San Francisco fan base would clearly be less divided over the signing of a homosexual.

Let's not mince words....there is a dimension to Michael Sam playing in the NFL that any team he signs with has to consider whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

From a football standpoint maybe they ought to try him out.

Thanks Bobby!

The depth chart right now shows 3 OLBs if you count Smith's suspension....and the San Francisco fan base would clearly be less divided over the signing of a homosexual.

Let's not mince words....there is a dimension to Michael Sam playing in the NFL that any team he signs with has to consider whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

I really don't think the kid wants all the attention.  I think he "came out" as he didn't want to worry about hiding it and have teams take him as he is.  The problem is that Hollywood wants to make more of an issue out of it than it is, hence the shows, the coverage etc. 

Now to football, a team in need of an OLB should look at anyone who's available.  He has only been in the NFL for a few months and might make a nice addition to the team. 

Thanks Bobby!

I never got the impression that the St. Louis fan base was the issue..was there a problem there?  I thought it had more to do with all the talent the Rams have on the D-line.  

Two, if you count him and I know there are several more.  

The truth is, he could have been serious as there is an OLB slot open there but you jumped all over him.  I wouldn't have thought much of it until you responded to him. 

He could have been serious but it was a pretty obvious joke.  I don't think he meant any harm and certainly didn't feel like I was "jumping all over him" when I teased him about the joke.  Apologies to Pacolts if I hurt his feelings. My bad.

I never got the impression that the St. Louis fan base was the issue..was there a problem there?  I thought it had more to do with all the talent the Rams have on the D-line.  

There didn't appear to be a problem with the fan base in STL....but San Francisco being as liberal a city as it is would largely eliminate any such concerns and probably not even move the PR needle.

They are down a guy at OLB....and Sam needs a job.

He could have been serious but it was a pretty obvious joke.  I don't think he meant any harm and certainly didn't feel like I was "jumping all over him" when I teased him about the joke.  Apologies to Pacolts if I hurt his feelings. My bad.

LOL....it was both. And no offense taken at your response.

The more you're on this Forum the more you'll see my humor...which can be a little sick at times and once in a while gets me thrown in the penalty box by the mods. At my age I need a good chuckle once in a while...even if I'm the only one laughing.

As for Sam....if he plays well enough he deserves a spot in the NFL and San Fran would be a good fit.

There didn't appear to be a problem with the fan base in STL....but San Francisco being as liberal a city as it is would largely eliminate any such concerns and probably not even move the PR needle.

They are down a guy at OLB....and Sam needs a job.

I'm sure any of the guys cut today would be thrilled to play for any team.  The SF thing might be a fit.  Its an interesting idea.

Well, Jeff Fisher was true to his word. He holds all players to the same standard. You either prove to your coaches that you deserve a roster spot or you don't sexual orientation means nothing. Sam's only shot on the Rams was on Special Teams anyway. Good luck Michael.

At least this way, you can spend some more time with the partner for a few days before another squad claims you on their team I guess. Just trying to find a silver lining for Sam in this case.