Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints Player fined for Body Slam on Andrew Luck in Pre-Season

TKnight24

@mchappell51: Saints DT Akiem Hicks fined $16,537 by NFL for body-slamming #colts QB Andrew Luck. Not a surprise.

:colts:

I believe he was penalized multiples times that game. gotta love the agressivness and tenacty but you gotta learn to pull up in this QB friendly league. 

I believe he was penalized multiples times that game. gotta love the agressivness and tenacty but you gotta learn to pull up in this QB friendly league. 

That is why I think the fine should have been huge. He wasn't going to pull up, he wanted to hit Luck, cause some damage if he could and get inside his head. I think that worked because Luck played very badly after that. Superman doesn't agree with me about that and he may be right. Luck is a tough son-of-a-gun but when you know you just got punked on purpose and more is coming, it has to take a toll on everyone.

Anyone been able to find a video of the hit?  IDK, I remember thinking it didn't look that bad live.  Can't remember if I rewatched it or not.  But I did just remember I still have the game on DVR.  I thought a later tackle by a Colt player (thinking it was Mike Adams but can't remember for sure) where he picked up and slammed one of the Saint WR's looked worse than the hit on Luck.  Granted, Luck's a QB and you get fined for poking a QB in the wrong way now.

Anyone been able to find a video of the hit?  IDK, I remember thinking it didn't look that bad live.  Can't remember if I rewatched it or not.  But I did just remember I still have the game on DVR.  I thought a later tackle by a Colt player (thinking it was Mike Adams but can't remember for sure) where he picked up and slammed one of the Saint WR's looked worse than the hit on Luck.  Granted, Luck's a QB and you get fined for poking a QB in the wrong way now.

Did the WR have the ball?

It wasn't so much the way he was hit but the fact that the hit happened well after the ball was out of Luck's hands.

I think if Luck still had the ball it would have been a legal hit. 

Did the WR have the ball?

It wasn't so much the way he was hit but the fact that the hit happened well after the ball was out of Luck's hands.

I think if Luck still had the ball it would have been a legal hit.

Yes the wr did have the ball, but the way he was picked up, turned and then slammed down seemed unnecessary and hits like that usually draw a flag.

Also, and again I'm only going on memory, still haven't rewatched the play, but when I watched the game I don't recall thinking it was a late hit either. Now one thing I'm unsure of, are defenders still allowed 2 steps after the ball is released or did they reduce that to one? It could very well have been an illegal hit by the definition of the rules and if that's the case then it could be the rule itself I have a problem with. They definitely baby the qbs way too much imo.

Yes the wr did have the ball, but the way he was picked up, turned and then slammed down seemed unnecessary and hits like that usually draw a flag.

Also, and again I'm only going on memory, still haven't rewatched the play, but when I watched the game I don't recall thinking it was a late hit either. Now one thing I'm unsure of, are defenders still allowed 2 steps after the ball is released or did they reduce that to one? It could very well have been an illegal hit by the definition of the rules and if that's the case then it could be the rule itself I have a problem with. They definitely baby the qbs way too much imo.

It was unnecessary roughness. Luck actually still had the ball when Hicks first grabbed him. Then after he threw the ball, Hicks threw him down.

It is times like this when a bully is sometimes needed.  I would be totally fine if any of our lineman were to draw a personal foul for protecting the 'Franchise.  Because a dirty play like this should be met with an equally dirty chop block a few plays later. 

It was unnecessary roughness. Luck actually still had the ball when Hicks first grabbed him. Then after he threw the ball, Hicks threw him down.

Ok not necessarily speaking about this instance in particular because again I need to go back and rewatch, but from that description it doesn't sound like anything egregious. If luck had the ball at first contact, depending on the position of each player it could be incredibly difficult for the defender to know if and or when the ball is actually thrown.

It is times like this when a bully is sometimes needed. I would be totally fine if any of our lineman were to draw a personal foul for protecting the 'Franchise. Because a dirty play like this should be met with an equally dirty chop block a few plays later.

I do recall one time last year in a similar situation when luck was hit in a rather dirty manner and cherilus started heading for the defender but luck pulled him back as if to say don't get an unnecessary penalty, but still in that case I was rather proud of cherilus for getting ready to stand up for his qb, though at the same time was glad luck pulled him back so as not to get a penalty :)

Is our defense a little too mean for you?

Awwwww

There is mean and there is dirty. You don't seem to know the difference. I am glad the NFL fined a dirty player for a intentional dirty play. It seems like a player who is flagged several times needs more than just a fine. JMO

Ok not necessarily speaking about this instance in particular because again I need to go back and rewatch, but from that description it doesn't sound like anything egregious. If luck had the ball at first contact, depending on the position of each player it could be incredibly difficult for the defender to know if and or when the ball is actually thrown.

It wasn't the worst thing ever, but I think that kind of tackle gets flagged whether Luck has the ball or not.

Is our defense a little too mean for you?

Awwwww

Yeah..... 

That's what you want to do....    deliberately annoy posters....

Because as we all know,  you're already a popular guy here,  so offending a few more Colts fan clearly doesn't bother you.....

I don't think you realize that you're your own worst enemy.