Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tim Wright looked good last night

amfootball

From the Globe:

The amazing Tim Wright — The fact that Tim Wright suited up and was able to catch four passes for 43 yards after basically a day and a half with the organization is outstanding. This sport is not like baseball, in which players can simply be subbed in, hit, and be seen as an instant impact. Football requires more learning and chemistry. So it was nice to see him get in tune with Jimmy Garoppolo Thursday in what can only be assumed was a slimmed down version of the team’s playbook on display. Wright can definitely generate some excitement as the team’s flex tight end, lining up detached more often than not, in this pass happy offense. It’ll be fun to see how this develops.

Jvan - the bolded somewhat answers your question on how the Pats may play him. He was not the inline TE as expected. He was flexed more like they used to do with AH.

On a side note, Aaron Dobson finally played last night and also looked good with 3 catches for 57 yards and a TD.

From the Globe:

The amazing Tim Wright — The fact that Tim Wright suited up and was able to catch four passes for 43 yards after basically a day and a half with the organization is outstanding. This sport is not like baseball, in which players can simply be subbed in, hit, and be seen as an instant impact. Football requires more learning and chemistry. So it was nice to see him get in tune with Jimmy Garoppolo Thursday in what can only be assumed was a slimmed down version of the team’s playbook on display. Wright can definitely generate some excitement as the team’s flex tight end, lining up detached more often than not, in this pass happy offense. It’ll be fun to see how this develops.

Jvan - the bolded somewhat answers your question on how the Pats may play him. He was not the inline TE as expected. He was flexed more like they used to do with AH.

On a side note, Aaron Dobson finally played last night and also looked good with 3 catches for 57 yards and a TD.

I picked up Wright in the last round of one of my fantasy teams last night.

I picked up Wright in the last round of one of my fantasy teams last night.

You're going to be pleased with yourself later, I think. Not saying the kid's going to light it up but he'll be a solid TE2 for your bye weeks and whatnot. 

AM don't know if you saw the whole game or not. I thought they looked pretty good all-around.

Really only three concerns:

1. Strong safety spot. Harmon hasn't taken advantage of the opportunity to grab it, and they had Dennard playing there last night. So in preseason, that spot has been filled with Harmon, Chung, Arrington, Ryan, and now Dennard too. From what I've read it looks like it's going to be a "committee" spot, with Chung taking snaps in the base defense and one of the other guys going back there on passing downs. I'm concerned teams will go right at Chung through the air since he can't cover to save his life. 

2. Run defense. Looked real shaky at times last night. I know none of the starting LBs played, and Wilfork sat out as well, but even with those guys in there, they haven't looked all that great. This one's probably more about scheme and game-planning and I'm probably concerned for no reason, but I've seen a lot of missed tackles and bad angles. 

3. Run game. It hasn't gotten rolling at all, really. Could be the same deal as #2 (scheme) but this is something to watch real closely with Mankins' suddenly gone. 

At this point I would have no problem with them cutting or trading Mallett. Jimmy's shown me more in four games than Mallett's shown in 3 years. 

AM don't know if you saw the whole game or not. I thought they looked pretty good all-around.

Really only three concerns:

1. Strong safety spot. Harmon hasn't taken advantage of the opportunity to grab it, and they had Dennard playing there last night. So in preseason, that spot has been filled with Harmon, Chung, Arrington, Ryan, and now Dennard too. From what I've read it looks like it's going to be a "committee" spot, with Chung taking snaps in the base defense and one of the other guys going back there on passing downs. I'm concerned teams will go right at Chung through the air since he can't cover to save his life. 

2. Run defense. Looked real shaky at times last night. I know none of the starting LBs played, and Wilfork sat out as well, but even with those guys in there, they haven't looked all that great. This one's probably more about scheme and game-planning and I'm probably concerned for no reason, but I've seen a lot of missed tackles and bad angles. 

3. Run game. It hasn't gotten rolling at all, really. Could be the same deal as #2 (scheme) but this is something to watch real closely with Mankins' suddenly gone. 

At this point I would have no problem with them cutting or trading Mallett. Jimmy's shown me more in four games than Mallett's shown in 3 years. 

Yeah, SS is just not solid. They have had so many guys playing there. I am hopeful that with the strong CB play we should get that it can cover SS but you really don't want to be weak back there. I think the guys are good enough but I was hoping to see Harmon really claim it and he hasn't. Something to watch for sure.

I am not too concerned with the run defense because they have not really had their starters out there much and Wilfork is our best stopper. That being said, teams will be apt to try to go there given our pass defense will be tough to penetrate.

The run game is interesting. I think we will end up missing Blount. I just don't trust Ridley at all and I don't think Bill does either. I like the rookie but I am not sure if we have a true number one or number two. I don't want to see Vareen running between the tackles either because he will get injured.

I agree about Mallett. Would love a trade to just get something but roll with Jimmy. They may carry three but I doubt it. Bill likes having that extra roster spot.

I was shocked when I saw BB not drafting a single safety this year!

I've looked at our roster and none of the people on our roster fit that role!

Chung has played horribly for us in the past and this preseason he did not impress me at all. The guy can deliver some big hits, and that is all he has, he can't cover worth a damn...
Does NE have any cap space to bring a vet like Ed Reed and cut Chung?

We will eventually need to replace Wilfork & Kelly in the inside, I would like the Patriots going back to their 3-4 Defense days when they had Ty Warren & Seymour...

Next years draft will be critical, the defense line needs to be built more, and we really need to draft a safety in the 1st or 2nd round.

With our current roster, I don't see a viable 3-4 option at all. 

Dominique Easley seems to be a good player from the highlights, just not sold on him with all the injury problems he has had.

Yeah, SS is just not solid. They have had so many guys playing there. I am hopeful that with the strong CB play we should get that it can cover SS but you really don't want to be weak back there. I think the guys are good enough but I was hoping to see Harmon really claim it and he hasn't. Something to watch for sure.

I am not too concerned with the run defense because they have not really had their starters out there much and Wilfork is our best stopper. That being said, teams will be apt to try to go there given our pass defense will be tough to penetrate.

The run game is interesting. I think we will end up missing Blount. I just don't trust Ridley at all and I don't think Bill does either. I like the rookie but I am not sure if we have a true number one or number two. I don't want to see Vareen running between the tackles either because he will get injured.

I agree about Mallett. Would love a trade to just get something but roll with Jimmy. They may carry three but I doubt it. Bill likes having that extra roster spot.

I'm hoping that this is a 2003 type of situation when Eugene Wilson was plugged in at safety for week one and did a great job from there on out. If there is a leading candidate, the Patriots haven't tipped their hand at all. But they're so deep at CB, I've got to imagine at least one of those guys could help out back there. 

I was shocked when I saw BB not drafting a single safety this year!

I've looked at our roster and none of the people on our roster fit that role!

Chung has played horribly for us in the past and this preseason he did not impress me at all. The guy can deliver some big hits, and that is all he has, he can't cover worth a damn...

Does NE have any cap space to bring a vet like Ed Reed and cut Chung?

We will eventually need to replace Wilfork & Kelly in the inside, I would like the Patriots going back to their 3-4 Defense days when they had Ty Warren & Seymour...

Next years draft will be critical, the defense line needs to be built more, and we really need to draft a safety in the 1st or 2nd round.

With our current roster, I don't see a viable 3-4 option at all. 

Dominique Easley seems to be a good player from the highlights, just not sold on him with all the injury problems he has had.

I don't think Ed Reed is the answer. He hasn't been very effective since the Ravens' SB run. The Jets are extremely thin in the secondary and they haven't brought him back in... that should be a pretty solid sign that he's done. It's going to be someone in-house, barring any surprise trades and/or cuts. 

Kelly is already gone, he was cut Sunday (or Monday, can't remember exactly). Already signed on with the Cardinals. 

They have some good young guys on the interior D-line but you can never be too deep there. Can't wait to see what Easley brings to the table. They won't run a traditional 3-4, don't forget. Technically that's their base defense but there are multiple fronts, and they spent I think 65% of the time in sub-defenses last year anyway.

The key this year will be getting out ahead of opponents on the scoreboard early and making teams try to throw. The Pats look like they'll be very solid in pass D, maybe a little more questionable against the run. At least right now.