Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

same old tune

jbaron04

I think that line you mention will be seriously abused all season. They have to be in the bottom five of all offensive lines in the NFL in my opinion.

You might be right. Middle of the pack at best. The problem is: basically 2 rookie starters in Mewhort and Holmes(since Holmes didn't see much game action at all last year)and 2nd year man Thornton. The interior of the Oline is going to struggle most likely. I think Cherilus is one of the better RT's in the league and Costanzo is a middle of the pack LT(we could certainly do worse). So, it could be a rough year for running lanes and having time in the pocket or not having a pocket. That's just reality. Rookie's in the NFL more often than not struggle and we don't have much in the way of depth. Donald Thomas is killing this offensive line. I know he has no control over injuries but that's basically the case. Grigson sunk a lot of money into him and we've gotten nothing in return. If we had Thomas starting and say one more veteran quality interior linemen this line looks a whole lot better.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think probly since 2007 we have bin saying the same thing over and over about the colts we need oline and defense and bow 7-8 years later why are we still in need of the same things, I can truly say lack of oline talent or skill has cost us atleast 2 Superbowl , grigson need to stop his little fantasy gm stuff and get the oline talent we need pay the guys, stop trying to get the Donald Thomas or these "diamond in the ruff" project type players , like I'm truly un happy with every single on of his free agent signings since he bin here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

English. 

You should look into it. 

Amazing how people over react to a preseason game.

Lets not forget... this was week 4 of the preseason. Take a step back from the ledge folks.

Sure, we have o-line problems, safety problems, pass rush problems, running game problems (every team in the league has plenty of holes/problems)... with all of that said, it is bonkers to think that we are in the bottom half of the league. We will be fine, we will win double digit games and everyone will be okay.

Just relax folks.

As is spelling and punctuation. Seriously though, your post is extremely negative about a team that performed an historically quick rebuild.

sorry auto correct does that to people at times. I'm not being negative just being real looking at it objectively

What makes Redding overrated?

Gets bullied in run defense, hardly ever get pressure on the qb, his best thing I guess is he is a motivator, but it doesn't match his production. I'm not being negative I just want more out of this unit that under perform quite often

Gets bullied in run defense, hardly ever get pressure on the qb, his best thing I guess is he is a motivator, but it doesn't match his production. I'm not being negative I just want more out of this unit that under perform quite often

Corey Redding could literally eat you for breakfast. I don't know what game you are watching, but Redding is awesome. 

Your phone won't capitalize the first word in a sentence, and changes "you" to "u" and takes out punctuation?

Does it happen to look like this?

062513_1238_2.jpg

Wait, so Luck is sporting an Obama phone? Lol

Redding overrated? Didn't know he was in the HOF talks in the first place. Dude has been our best linemen since signing here.

sorry auto correct does that to people at times. I'm not being negative just being real looking at it objectively

IMO, you're not being objective at all.  You're complaining, as if you're the only one who sees weaknesses.  You're demanding something be done, but you haven't suggested any alternatives other than firing a GM who's built a playoff team in one season.

If that's not being negative, tell me what is?

One thing that irritated me about watching the first half of the game (I haven't watched the entire second half yet) is that our reserves always seem to be outmatched against the other team's reserves in the preseason. Just once, I'd like to see our reserves go out and bully the other teams' 3rd and 4th string all preseason long. I'd like to not have to acknowledge that these guys won't be in the league in a couple weeks, but rather be excited that all of our guys represented the team well.

I get what you're saying and agree to an extent.  However, personally, I'm not as concerned about the 3rd and 4th strings as I am with the 1st and 2nd, and honestly I've thought that the 1st and 2nd teams have performed well except for the NO game when the whole team took a dump.

In fact, if I remember correctly, I believe our 2nd string was holding their own and even stopping the NYJ and NYG first teams which I was very happy about.

I get what you're saying and agree to an extent.  However, personally, I'm not as concerned about the 3rd and 4th strings as I am with the 1st and 2nd, and honestly I've thought that the 1st and 2nd teams have performed well except for the NO game when the whole team took a dump.

In fact, if I remember correctly, I believe our 2nd string was holding their own and even stopping the NYJ and NYG first teams which I was very happy about.

Why does anyone care if our future gym teachers can't beat their future grocery store baggers? 

Anyone playing in the second half of that game is there for two reason - there's no one else that will make the roster that the team would riske putting out there OR this is your last chance to show us why you should make the PS.

Redding had 4.5 sacks last year which is pretty good for a 3-4 DE/DT hybrid.  

Actually yes I do.  I feel good with Castanzo, Thornton, Holmes, Mewhort, Cherilus.  Even with a couple of the backups I think the line would be OK.  Reitz is serviceable and Harrison has shown promise. 

If our starting Oline can stay healthy I think our offense will be very very dangerous.

We can't run the ball no matter who we've had on the field. 1st, 2nd or 50th string. We've shored up the line with over paid free agents and injury prone players. We all get that it's pre season but these guys are either not on the field or they are losing their blocking assignments. There is reason for concern.

I think probly since 2007 we have bin saying the same thing over and over about the colts we need oline and defense and bow 7-8 years later why are we still in need of the same things, I can truly say lack of oline talent or skill has cost us atleast 2 Superbowl , grigson need to stop his little fantasy gm stuff and get the oline talent we need pay the guys, stop trying to get the Donald Thomas or these "diamond in the ruff" project type players , like I'm truly un happy with every single on of his free agent signings since he bin here,

So you're blaming grigson for the past 7-8 years now? Mmhhm...I see. You are also saying we should have been in both superbowls for the first two years he was here. Mmhhm...I see. So if we would have focused on oline over Fleener, Allen, ty, Ballard, we would have won superbowls. Mmhhm...I see.

We have a real winner here folks.

We can't run the ball no matter who we've had on the field. 1st, 2nd or 50th string. We've shored up the line with over paid free agents and injury prone players. We all get that it's pre season but these guys are either not on the field or they are losing their blocking assignments. There is reason for concern.

Donald Brown was top five in Ypc last season. But he was a scrub, so it doesn't count. Wish I was a Viking, so we could all be happy posters.....Peterson rocks....

Really?

Reggie, Redding, Arty Jones, Freeman, Butler, Cherilus, Hasslebeck, Bradshaw, Nicks.

Other than Cherilus, there isn't much help for the oline in that group and I think he is saying that is where all of the emphasis should have been. I agree with him if that is what he means.

Pinch of salt of course but he graded out as a top 10 3-4DE, with a huge slant of his grade coming with stopping the run. I'm not being funny but really if you can't see Redding has been our stand out on the Dline then I'm at a loss. 

I think Wayne should have gone elsewhere and that money should have been used on offensive linemen.

Given the leadership and the pretty darn good 2012 season in which he was Luck's go to guy I think he's worth way more than any Oline guy you could have found for the cap saving. It was a pretty team friendly contact let's be honest. 

Given the leadership and the pretty darn good 2012 season in which he was Luck's go to guy I think he's worth way more than any Oline guy you could have found for the cap saving. It was a pretty team friendly contact let's be honest. 

Any old wide receiver would have been preferable to me to spending money on an aging WR when the team was in desperate need of oline replacements to protect Luck. I think he was great in 2012 but if Luck could have been provided better protection, I would have voted for that. Wayne's contract was still sizeable and help for the oline could have been found with that money.

Pinch of salt of course but he graded out as a top 10 3-4DE, with a huge slant of his grade coming with stopping the run. I'm not being funny but really if you can't see Redding has been our stand out on the Dline then I'm at a loss. 

I agree with you on this one (sorry, I am out of likes already today).

Any old wide receiver would have been preferable to me to spending money on an aging WR when the team was in desperate need of oline replacements to protect Luck. I think he was great in 2012 but if Luck could have been provided better protection, I would have voted for that. Wayne's contract was still sizeable and help for the oline could have been found with that money.

Again we're into the ifs buts and maybes, I've got an advantage in seeing what Reggie did for us that season (I don't quite agree his contact was sizeable compared to other No.1 WRs), whereas the the idea of bringing one maybe two guys on the Oline doesn't mean that the line would have been any more solid. 

Put it this way, no Reggie in 2012 and Donnie Avery is  your number 1 receiver :P

Again we're into the ifs buts and maybes, I've got an advantage in seeing what Reggie did for us that season (I don't quite agree his contact was sizeable compared to other No.1 WRs), whereas the the idea of bringing one maybe two guys on the Oline doesn't mean that the line would have been any more solid. 

Put it this way, no Reggie in 2012 and Donnie Avery is  your number 1 receiver :P

Why did we even need a number 1 receiver in a rebuilding year with a rookie QB? There is always an excuse why we don't draft offensive linemen (we need TEs, WRs and running backs). The free agent linemen we have signed have been mostly worthless. Andrew got hammered as a rookie and he is still getting hammered. Fix that damn offensive line and it is truly offensive  ;)

Other than Cherilus, there isn't much help for the oline in that group and I think he is saying that is where all of the emphasis should have been. I agree with him if that is what he means.

The problem is not that those other players were signed.  There was never any chance whatsoever that all of the FA money would be spent on the OL.  The problem is that the guys he has brought in for the OL have not worked out up to this point.  If he had signed different players for the OL then he still could have signed Reggie, Redding, Arty Jones, Freeman, Butler, Hasslebeck, Bradshaw, and Nicks and then people wouldn't have any problems with those guys having been signed.

One could argue that Donald Thomas was a poor signing because of previous injury history, however there have been players who have gone through multiple seasons worth of injuries and then gone on to remain healthy after that.  Matthew Stafford is the first example that comes to mind.  

I don't see how anyone could reasonably say that Grigson has not addressed the OL.  He's been addressing the OL heavily since he got here.  He's just had a run of bad luck with several of the guys that have been brought in either with injuries or young players not developing as quickly as possible.  

One thing that irritated me about watching the first half of the game (I haven't watched the entire second half yet) is that our reserves always seem to be outmatched against the other team's reserves in the preseason. Just once, I'd like to see our reserves go out and bully the other teams' 3rd and 4th string all preseason long. I'd like to not have to acknowledge that these guys won't be in the league in a couple weeks, but rather be excited that all of our guys represented the team well.

On a small level, I think it reflects poorly on the staff -- coaching, scouting, personnel -- that our deep reserves look so incompetent. The other team is playing their deep reserves as well, right? Not just Chandler Harnish being terrible; can't fix that. But when he throws a screen pass and the screen blockers don't even try to block the free defender -- the tackle clearly didn't even see the guy ten feet away from him -- and the play gets blown up, it makes our guys look unprepared and poorly coached. Seriously, our third string can't even run a screen play?

And some of these guys are gonna play real roles for us. Like punt coverage (yeah, I went there). Punt return (if Purifoy doesn't know not to field a punt at the five...) Etc. 

I am not the "pee in your cornflakes" kind of guy. But in a minor level, I think maybe it speaks to the team's attention to detail. Now last season, we were the least penalized team in the league, and had the fewest turnovers. So the little things obviously matter, and are coached. And a lot of the guys on the field in the 4th preseason game don't really get reps in camp. There's gonna be some sloppiness. But our guys just didn't look like they belonged on the same field for a lot of plays. The Giants third string came back against our third string, and there was nothing our third string could do about it. The Bengals second and third string looked better than ours.

Like I said, it would be awesome if we had people talking about how we shouldn't get carried away, because even though our guys dominated, preseason doesn't mean anything, rather than telling us that we shouldn't be too worried because these guys are getting cut in a couple days. Our guys played like they should have been cut a couple days ago, rather than playing like it's gonna be hard to cut them a couple days from now.

/rant

I didn't see the game as it wasn't televised in CA. But I would think we have good depth in the defensive front 7 , Wr and QB. Maybe where we don't have depth really throws those type games off ? OLine is thin plus you had # 2 center out . Rietz was hurt early ? Thus the O line had to be a mess last night. Plus the # QB that won't make the roster played. I guess my point is with the O Line depth not great to begin with , plus 2 injuries to back ups and Harnish playing QB , you pretty much have to get dominated on that side of the ball. So pretty much throws the whole game to the dogs ?

I didn't see the game as it wasn't televised in CA. But I would think we have good depth in the defensive front 7 , Wr and QB. Maybe where we don't have depth really throws those type games off ? OLine is thin plus you had # 2 center out . Rietz was hurt early ? Thus the O line had to be a mess last night. Plus the # QB that won't make the roster played. I guess my point is with the O Line depth not great to begin with , plus 2 injuries to back ups and Harnish playing QB , you pretty much have to get dominated on that side of the ball. So pretty much throws the whole game to the dogs ?

The Bengals have injuries, too. They sat out a lot of their front line guys. Major difference in QB for the first part of the game, as they started Jason Campbell, who is worlds better than Harnish. And sure, our team had some weaknesses in crucial areas that made the game tough. But that's not what really irritated me. It was the overall sloppiness. 

Any NFL lineman should be able to block on a screen play. There are other specific examples where our guys just didn't look prepared, didn't look like they belonged on an NFL roster. 

That's true. I don't think this has any bearing on how our season will go. We'll cut the garbage that's weighing us down, and the entire ship will rise. Our top end is good enough to contend with anyone in the league.

But the guys who were on the field yesterday were embarrassingly bad, for the most part. Yeah, they're 3rd and 4th string, but so were the Bengals guys. However, plenty of Bengals looked like they belong on an NFL roster. Our guys? Not so much.

The Bengals have injuries, too. They sat out a lot of their front line guys. Major difference in QB for the first part of the game, as they started Jason Campbell, who is worlds better than Harnish. And sure, our team had some weaknesses in crucial areas that made the game tough. But that's not what really irritated me. It was the overall sloppiness. 

Any NFL lineman should be able to block on a screen play. There are other specific examples where our guys just didn't look prepared, didn't look like they belonged on an NFL roster. 

Sloppiness sometimes can be related to coaching. On that front , I think the jury is still out. On another note... did Josh Kerr "fall back to earth" last night ? I haven't read anything on him at all following the game.

That's true. I don't think this has any bearing on how our season will go. We'll cut the garbage that's weighing us down, and the entire ship will rise. Our top end is good enough to contend with anyone in the league.

But the guys who were on the field yesterday were embarrassingly bad, for the most part. Yeah, they're 3rd and 4th string, but so were the Bengals guys. However, plenty of Bengals looked like they belong on an NFL roster. Our guys? Not so much.

that's very true.  Like you said in the previous post, a lot of the offensive issues were due to Campbell >>>>>>>>> Harnish.  I'd have liked to have seen Hasselbeck play at least some in the first half just to give the lower tier WRs a chance.  

psst...it's Zack Kerr...Unless Josh Chapman ate him lol