Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

same old tune

jbaron04

I think probly since 2007 we have bin saying the same thing over and over about the colts we need oline and defense and bow 7-8 years later why are we still in need of the same things, I can truly say lack of oline talent or skill has cost us atleast 2 Superbowl , grigson need to stop his little fantasy gm stuff and get the oline talent we need pay the guys, stop trying to get the Donald Thomas or these "diamond in the ruff" project type players , like I'm truly un happy with every single on of his free agent signings since he bin here,

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think probly since 2007 we have bin saying the same thing over and over about the colts we need oline and defense and bow 7-8 years later why are we still in need of the same things, I can truly say lack of oline talent or skill has cost us atleast 2 Superbowl , grigson need to stop his little fantasy gm stuff and get the oline talent we need pay the guys, stop trying to get the Donald Thomas or these "diamond in the ruff" project type players , like I'm truly un happy with every single on of his free agent signings since he bin here,

well I am happy with those signings but the project players that never pan out is what baffles me get stars that is what this team needs and to fire harnish and keep him fired.

To your larger point, yes, we have been seeing the same problems-- lack of O-line, and poor defense. An argument can be made that it's a byproduct of always drafting at the end of every round, for over a decade, with the exception of 2012. What was the outcome of that draft?

Luck, Fleener, Allen, T.Y. Hilton, Chapman, Brazill, etc...

It's easier to draft and add talent when you have up and down seasons. We should enjoy the 'ups' that we've had, and continue to have.

I know were spoiled in the way they have already done such a good things. But dont forget only 2 years ago we completely rebuilt a team. Most teams after rebuilds dont even look at play offs until years later, we do it that year, and the next year. What other options do they really have when trying too keep budget in mind and also trying too keep a relatively young team? You cant go out spending huge money on veterans. You have too make your own

well I am happy with those signings but the project players that never pan out is what baffles me get stars that is what this team needs and to fire harnish and keep him fired.

project players like Freeman McNary Muamba Kerr Purifoy Harrison Swoope everyone's favorite Rogers granted all haven't turned out yet. Ulrich John and Walker I think might be pretty good projects too.

I get your frustration with the O Line but you can't just go out and spend like Synder and Jones if you want to build something. It is going to take time. Grig's hasn't hit on the interior of the O line but we are are good at LT most important spot and moving in the right direction. Most importantly  we are doing it in a way we will be able to sustain our success.

To me the key to the O Line is if the staff is right about Holmes. If Holmes is the answer at C that will make a big difference

It was just 3yrs ago we won 2 games We are coming off back to back 11 win season's and we won a playoff game last year. I  know we live in a world of instant gratification but I think a little more patience and we will get there. People are picking us to make the Super Bowl it isn't that bad.

The O Line may not be in such bad shape this year

I don think any starters played in either side of the ball.

You would be right about that unless you want to be technical and count Pat and Adam.

El Presidente lead the team with 5 tackles. Newsome had a sack.

Price unless he has been lights out in practice made his fate an easy call tonight..

Yes, same old story. We lose a preseason game and we have people going nuts on the board.

Nailed it!!!!!!!! I can see some of the cause for concern but let's at least wait till a few games into the season. I mean people are going to flip out if we don't go to Denver and trounce them, which is not going to happen unless the football gods curse Denver, which I hope they do btw............

Patience is really a virtue.

Yes, same old story. We lose a preseason game and we have people going nuts on the board.

My thoughts exactly we made it through the preseason games without a major injury mission accomplished in my opinion. 10 more injury free days get some guys healed up and we should be in good shape to start the season.

It would have been nice to get the O Line more time together but didn't work out that way.

"I'm mad about everything"

"What about this and this"

"Well not that"

Interesting conversation.

I think the D-line will be good this year.

O-line is going to take time. They have their tackles. They have invested high picks in the middle of the line now they just need to let them develop and jell. It's not like years past where they are grasping at straws. The peaces are hopefully in place now they just need time to grow.

One thing that irritated me about watching the first half of the game (I haven't watched the entire second half yet) is that our reserves always seem to be outmatched against the other team's reserves in the preseason. Just once, I'd like to see our reserves go out and bully the other teams' 3rd and 4th string all preseason long. I'd like to not have to acknowledge that these guys won't be in the league in a couple weeks, but rather be excited that all of our guys represented the team well.

On a small level, I think it reflects poorly on the staff -- coaching, scouting, personnel -- that our deep reserves look so incompetent. The other team is playing their deep reserves as well, right? Not just Chandler Harnish being terrible; can't fix that. But when he throws a screen pass and the screen blockers don't even try to block the free defender -- the tackle clearly didn't even see the guy ten feet away from him -- and the play gets blown up, it makes our guys look unprepared and poorly coached. Seriously, our third string can't even run a screen play?

And some of these guys are gonna play real roles for us. Like punt coverage (yeah, I went there). Punt return (if Purifoy doesn't know not to field a punt at the five...) Etc. 

I am not the "pee in your cornflakes" kind of guy. But in a minor level, I think maybe it speaks to the team's attention to detail. Now last season, we were the least penalized team in the league, and had the fewest turnovers. So the little things obviously matter, and are coached. And a lot of the guys on the field in the 4th preseason game don't really get reps in camp. There's gonna be some sloppiness. But our guys just didn't look like they belonged on the same field for a lot of plays. The Giants third string came back against our third string, and there was nothing our third string could do about it. The Bengals second and third string looked better than ours.

Like I said, it would be awesome if we had people talking about how we shouldn't get carried away, because even though our guys dominated, preseason doesn't mean anything, rather than telling us that we shouldn't be too worried because these guys are getting cut in a couple days. Our guys played like they should have been cut a couple days ago, rather than playing like it's gonna be hard to cut them a couple days from now.

/rant

One thing that irritated me about watching the first half of the game (I haven't watched the entire second half yet) is that our reserves always seem to be outmatched against the other team's reserves in the preseason. Just once, I'd like to see our reserves go out and bully the other teams' 3rd and 4th string all preseason long. I'd like to not have to acknowledge that these guys won't be in the league in a couple weeks, but rather be excited that all of our guys represented the team well.

/rant

Troll :P 

Building a good offensive line takes time. And when they do get good here comes the big contracts just to keep them together. Great O-Linemen are paid very well these days and most teams try to keep hem but sometimes the money gets too much with the high cost of the so called skill players. I do see some negative comments made about Grigs not doing this or that but being a GM is not an easy job. He is no different than any other GM, he hits and misses just as all do. Let's hope now that we have quite a few good pieces in place Grigs can work on what is needed the most.

I know were spoiled in the way they have already done such a good things. But dont forget only 2 years ago we completely rebuilt a team. Most teams after rebuilds dont even look at play offs until years later, we do it that year, and the next year. What other options do they really have when trying too keep budget in mind and also trying too keep a relatively young team? You cant go out spending huge money on veterans. You have too make your own

Exactly!!! 

My issue in regards to the line is that they get FA's that haven't done much.  Donald Thomas is ok but a huge injury liability.

I remember when they got McGlynn and Satele.  I thought, "who?"  Then hoped that they would do well.  Hopes didn't pan out.

The seem to shop the bargain basement for FA players on the O-line and then pay way too much for them.

PRESEASON people PRESEASON game 4 seriously back away from the ledge.  We all know what our weaknesses are, even in our best years I dont remember winning many PRESEASON games maybe one or two thats it, these dont really matter it is about reps and evaluation of individual talent mostly, if they mattered we teams would scheme, they would affect draft position and playoff standing.

Lets just be glad this part is out of the way and now we get to the games that count, I see us winning the division with a record of 12-4 this season and ending up in the AFC Championship game at a minimum.  At least that is what I am telling myself today after Sunday I could be thinking otherwise.  GO COLTS :thmup:

project players like Freeman McNary Muamba Kerr Purifoy Harrison Swoope everyone's favorite Rogers granted all haven't turned out yet. Ulrich John and Walker I think might be pretty good projects too.

I get your frustration with the O Line but you can't just go out and spend like Synder and Jones if you want to build something. It is going to take time. Grig's hasn't hit on the interior of the O line but we are are good at LT most important spot and moving in the right direction. Most importantly  we are doing it in a way we will be able to sustain our success.

To me the key to the O Line is if the staff is right about Holmes. If Holmes is the answer at C that will make a big difference

It was just 3yrs ago we won 2 games We are coming off back to back 11 win season's and we won a playoff game last year. I  know we live in a world of instant gratification but I think a little more patience and we will get there. People are picking us to make the Super Bowl it isn't that bad.

The O Line may not be in such bad shape this year

I think the people picking the Colts to be in the Super Bowl are just trying to be different. I cannot see this team getting that far behind this offensive line no matter how brilliant Luck can be. I am not sold on the LT and I think you will see him absolutely abused by some teams this year (Denver, Houston, etc.)

Painful. This team will struggle all year with that line. Andrew better have his running shoes on.

Did you not understand the concept that NO STARTERS played tonight and Andrew won't ever play behind "that line"?  Those were the 2nd and 3rd stringers... other than Mewhort at Center.

Chillax and enjoy the show.

I have not liked the line all preseason. Do you feel good about it?

Actually yes I do.  I feel good with Castanzo, Thornton, Holmes, Mewhort, Cherilus.  Even with a couple of the backups I think the line would be OK.  Reitz is serviceable and Harrison has shown promise. 

If our starting Oline can stay healthy I think our offense will be very very dangerous.

I know. Have not been impressed all preseason. How do you feel about the line? Luck  has to get rid of the ball fast this season which he should be able to do given our skill guys.

Actually the first preseason game where the starting line all played together before Holmes went down was giving Luck plenty of time to throw and opening good running lanes for Richardson... that's really the only time we have seen the entire starting Oline.

I know. Have not been impressed all preseason. How do you feel about the line? Luck has to get rid of the ball fast this season which he should be able to do given our skill guys.

The line at worst will be on par with what it was last year. Certainly not ideal. But, i think it will be a little better

Actually yes I do.  I feel good with Castanzo, Thornton, Holmes, Mewhort, Cherilus.  Even with a couple of the backups I think the line would be OK.  Reitz is serviceable and Harrison has shown promise. 

If our starting Oline can stay healthy I think our offense will be very very dangerous.

I think that line you mention will be seriously abused all season. They have to be in the bottom five of all offensive lines in the NFL in my opinion.

To your larger point, yes, we have been seeing the same problems-- lack of O-line, and poor defense. An argument can be made that it's a byproduct of always drafting at the end of every round, for over a decade, with the exception of 2012. What was the outcome of that draft?

Luck, Fleener, Allen, T.Y. Hilton, Chapman, Brazill, etc...

It's easier to draft and add talent when you have up and down seasons. We should enjoy the 'ups' that we've had, and continue to have.

I agree, part of the reason that the Oline probably has not had a big influx of draft talent is because of the need for the skill position players. No one can argue that Hilton, Fleener, Allen, Moncrief, etc were not good picks at the time. The one argument you could make is that instead of going OLB in round 1 with Werner but I think you have to go back and see what OL was available at the pick. I'm frustrated about the Oline too but I think that more than anything it's a by product of having to do a total rebuild when Grigson got here.

Oh, lets not forget that Grigson did draft Holmes and Thornton is the same draft so there has been an attempt and using fairly high picks. It's unfortunate that there have been a number of injuries. I went back and looked at the 2013 NFL draft and interestingly enough there were only 3 offensive linemen picked between our selection of Werner and Thornton. That tells me that the 2013 draft was weak for Oline position. There was only 1 of those guys that I think we may have wanted at the time and that was Larry Warford.