Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lack of Depth at OT

1959Colts

A lot of us, including myself, are concerned about our needs at Guard and Center.

Even calling for the Colts brass to sign Richie Incognito.

But I feel we have an even bigger hole at Offensive Tackle.

With only Joe Reitz as a backup... And really, can Reitz be counted on if one of our starters were to go down?

I know now it is hard, (if not impossible) to find a highly qualified OT at this point..

But my point is, we have quite a few options at C, with Holmes, Harrison and possibly even Mewhort.

And we have a bit of a surplus at G, (although none are really proven stars).

So perhaps Incognito should not be considered such an important addition, when we are no doubt...

Scary thin at Tackle.

I thought I read that Mewhort was billed as a Guard/Tackle.  I didn't follow him at Ohio State so I'm not sure.  

I think if we signed an FA guard, we'd have Mewhort as backup Tackle. Also, an FA guard frees up Reitz to play tackle.  I think Reitz played a little during last year's preseason and could be better with some reps.  I know that he started in basketball and might have decent footwork, perhaps enough to be at least an adequate backup.

Maybe if some FA's come available to look at, it might be worth it to do so.

I do agree that we need more Tackles on the roster.

A lot of us, including myself, are concerned about our needs at Guard and Center.

Even calling for the Colts brass to sign Richie Incognito.

But I feel we have an even bigger hole at Offensive Tackle.

With only Joe Reitz as a backup... And really, can Reitz be counted on if one of our starters were to go down?

I know now it is hard, (if not impossible) to find a highly qualified OT at this point..

But my point is, we have quite a few options at C, with Holmes, Harrison and possibly even Mewhort.

And we have a bit of a surplus at G, (although none are really proven stars).

So perhaps Incognito should not be considered such an important addition, when we are no doubt...

Scary thin at Tackle.

Are you assuming that Nixon won't make the team?  He was pretty decent as a backup.

Yeah...Mewhort don't have the feet of a Tackle, I'd keep Reitz there as a back up

Reitz is first up.  Mewhort and Thornton both played OT in college, they'd be adequate backups after that (assuming Nixon is still out).

No team is going to have two quality OT backups.  We're fine.

Reitz is first up.  Mewhort and Thornton both played OT in college, they'd be adequate backups after that (assuming Nixon is still out).

No team is going to have two quality OT backups.  We're fine.

Reitz is not fine. He has been getting beat all preseason against our opponents 2nd stringers

Its really pathetic that the team has failed 3 years straight to field a decent line.  I wonder if their failure is due to incompetence in acquiring anyone decent or being too stupid to realize what a colossal effect this poor O-line has on the team and not making it a priority.  Any guesses?  My guess is that they are just completely incompetent in judging and acquiring talent since they have spent more than a few draft picks on complete duds that have been unable to contribute and spent time and effort going out to get trash like Thomas who can't stay healthy. Does anyone at all want to make the case that this O-line isn't garbage or that the team isn't a complete failure at developing a decent offensive line?

I hope the offseason next year is all about O Lineman / Pass Rush / Safety.

Maybe Newsome& Kerr go absolutely apey this season, then Purifoy slides over to Safety & is an immediate pro-bowler, and then Jonnothan H. plays so good that he takes the spot of both  center &  guard freeing up an extra receiver position so the colts can run 6 receiver sets, and ...

or, yeah maybe we have de·fi·cien·cies at Oline/PassRush/& Safety next off season...

Its really pathetic that the team has failed 3 years straight to field a decent line.  I wonder if their failure is due to incompetence in acquiring anyone decent or being too stupid to realize what a colossal effect this poor O-line has on the team and not making it a priority.  Any guesses?  My guess is that they are just completely incompetent in judging and acquiring talent since they have spent more than a few draft picks on complete duds that have been unable to contribute and spent time and effort going out to get trash like Thomas who can't stay healthy. Does anyone at all want to make the case that this O-line isn't garbage or that the team isn't a complete failure at developing a decent offensive line?

I think the biggest problem is the lack of importance placed on the injury history of the players we take. We just seem to dismiss it minimize it whatever you want to call it. The O Lineman we drafted seem to have the talent to play in this league.

FA Donald Thomas he has a track record of injuries when he is healthy he seemed to be a good O Lineman some thought the best on the team but how surprised can anyone be that he hasn't stayed healthy.

Khaled Holmes struggled to make it through is senior year due to ankle injury then comes here and done in camp for the year...an ankle injury, He plays 7 snaps again ankle problem. We knew he had ankle issues. The 7 snaps looked great and word from the coaches was he looked great but can he stay healthy?

Jack Mewhort had knee problems his entire Senior year at Ohio St he managed to start all the games barely and left a few early due to his knee. That was a shorter season against inferior competition. He has already had a scope on his knee and missed time due to the injury. When he plays he looks good. He can't pull but that is because unlike others I think will play RT in the NFL. T was the position he played all 4 years at OSU.

If you look at how Cherilus contract is structured having a RT ready for the 2016 season would save us about 14M over the last 2 yrs of his deal but that is another argument. The point is another player we drafted that had injury problems before he ever hit Indy.

All 3 of these players seem to the have talent  but none have played much because of injuries. Injuries we knew about prior to drafting/signing them. If these 3 guys were healthy the O Line would be in much better shape and have played  as a unit.  

It is football injuries happen but it is a little different when you start with injured guys IMO.  I am not saying anyone who has ever had an injury should be ruled out that is crazy but chronic leg injuries to big guys early on is something I would be leery of. We seem to welcome it

Don't get me wrong I don't want to spend a ton of money on FA's or lose picks making trades. I think Grigs is doing things the right way fiscally  I just think if a guy struggles to make it through a college season that is a red flag unless you have the luxury of red shirting them we don't. I don't understand why we continue to bring in player with an injury history we aren't the NFL version of the Suns.

I would bring in Incognitio put him at LG for a year let Mewhort heal and learn find my G for the future next year.

I don't think we are in that bad of shape especially if Holmes is healed and is what they say he is. The injury vs NYJ could have happened to anyone hopefully it was just a coincidence it happened to him. Harrison has shown potential and both can play G. Our G's can kick out to T in a pinch. We are in good shape that way and that is Grig's.  

I think the future of the line can still be a bright one but Grig's needs to be right on Holmes this year or Harrison better bail him out. I don't understand why it is such a problem to find healthy interior linemen. We have the hard part done starting quality T's. 

I agree with the OP, in that we have more depth at the interior positions, for sure, but our starters at OT are better and more proven. The competition is deeper at guard and center.

However, I think Reitz is good as a swing backup. Not sure what people have against linemen who can play more than one position; it's a good thing, considering you only dress 7 OL on game day. And though he's listed as a guard on the website, he's mostly played tackle in the preseason, so we know the staff views him as a swing reserve.

Goes for Nixon, as well, who is still on the active roster. He has to get back on the field, but he did a good job in spot duty last year. 

Have you already determined that the line won't be good this year?

Neither- it's prioritization.

We've won 11 games in two seasons and have one of the smartest young quarterbacks. Yes he gets sacked a lot- but there are more pressing needs on the team than the center and guard. 

Outside of Mathis, there wasn't a player on defense that was reliable game in and game out. 

Linebacker

Defensive line

Wide Receiver

Offensive Line

Safety.

Now Grigson did address these positions in the draft (except safety), so I'm not sure why everyone is complaining.

In the last two years, Grigson drafted a center and two guards- So he has addressed the positions. It's just that superstars aren't made overnight.

He also grabbed two-three Defensive linemen, and a OLB to replace Mathis in later years. He didn't have to draft on the inside of the Linebacker group because he snagged Freeman and Jackson. 

What does that leave? Wide Receiver and Safety. 

Ok, the signing of Moncrief and Nicks solidified our WR corps and really didn't cost much for this year. 

What does that leave for next year? Safety. He filled the position with a stopgap (Mike Adams) and we'll be fine for 2014. Look for a safety and maybe another OL to be drafted next year, along with the standard D Line and Linebackers that you constantly refresh on the roster.

In Grigs we Trust.

Its really pathetic that the team has failed 3 years straight to field a decent line. I wonder if their failure is due to incompetence in acquiring anyone decent or being too stupid to realize what a colossal effect this poor O-line has on the team and not making it a priority. Any guesses? My guess is that they are just completely incompetent in judging and acquiring talent since they have spent more than a few draft picks on complete duds that have been unable to contribute and spent time and effort going out to get trash like Thomas who can't stay healthy. Does anyone at all want to make the case that this O-line isn't garbage or that the team isn't a complete failure at developing a decent offensive line?

3 years?

Lol.

Last line that couldn't be classified as "bad" was the 2007 team.

I think you are probably correct. I was being generous.

Yep. Tony Ugoh's rookie season was respectable. Charlie Johnson was a good left guard, Saturday solid at center, Lila was in his prime and Diem had his last good season. Addai didn't put up a thousand in rushing but he put up a healthy amount of receiving yards to go with his rushing total.

After that it has been all downhill. Each year gets somehow worse than the last, and I have seen nothing outside of optimism so far to suggest that is a trend that will cease b

Its really pathetic that the team has failed 3 years straight to field a decent line. I wonder if their failure is due to incompetence in acquiring anyone decent or being too stupid to realize what a colossal effect this poor O-line has on the team and not making it a priority. Any guesses? My guess is that they are just completely incompetent in judging and acquiring talent since they have spent more than a few draft picks on complete duds that have been unable to contribute and spent time and effort going out to get trash like Thomas who can't stay healthy. Does anyone at all want to make the case that this O-line isn't garbage or that the team isn't a complete failure at developing a decent offensive line?

its been longer than 3 years

Reitz is not fine. He has been getting beat all preseason against our opponents 2nd stringers

From Ben Gundy, who analyzes every block:

"After a week of embarrassing those of us who have been shouting from the mountaintops that he needs to play more, Reitz put together a good game against the Saints’ backups. He held up in protection and generated some movement with his gap blocks, helping spring Boom Herron and Zurlon Tipton for runs of 4, 5, 12 and 13 yards. With the Colts’ dearth of bodies at tackle, Reitz should be the top backup on both ends of the line."

From Ben Gundy, who analyzes every block:

"After a week of embarrassing those of us who have been shouting from the mountaintops that he needs to play more, Reitz put together a good game against the Saints’ backups. He held up in protection and generated some movement with his gap blocks, helping spring Boom Herron and Zurlon Tipton for runs of 4, 5, 12 and 13 yards. With the Colts’ dearth of bodies at tackle, Reitz should be the top backup on both ends of the line."

I have watched our O-line closely this preseason, and I don't need some statistician to tell me who is good or not good.

Reitz has struggled at times. Especially in the Giants game.

But regardless how he's looked,,,  Honestly, the guy just cannot stay healthy.