Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Da'Rick and Whalen/Will Whalen make the roster? [Merge]

camcolts2621

What do you think, will he make the final 53?

I'm just curious to know others thoughts, because i'm really high on this dudes work ethic and selflessness...

When I found out how many times he was on and off the 53 man roster last year I was like damn this dude is going through what I went through in high school (roster spots/cut obviously) and I couldn't help but admire how calm, cool, and collected he was in interviews about the whole situation. Long story short, I think he's a fan favorite, never drops the ball, and I really want him to make the team!!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, he's #5 right now.  When we talk about Rogers, it's always 'potential'.  Griff may have shown us all he'll ever be, but at least we can use him now.  We're already going to develop another guy in Moncrief.

I do think both will make it.

The Griffer gives 100% every time he's on the field. 

He catches virtually everything that's thrown to him. 

He runs great routes. 

He plays bigger and faster than what he is. 

Hmmmm...sounds like a WR on the Broncos.

There's absolutely no way another team wouldn't pick him up. 

The Colts would be foolish not to keep him. In fact, he looks better than Rogers does in the Colts' offense. If they don't keep him, he will be picked up by another team pretty quickly. After playing well last year and continuing to do well this year, he deserves to make the team -- and most importantly -- will help the Colts in attaining their goals.

I think Griff is great! He understands his role, and executes it very well. Those that don't realize Griff's talent to do what he's supposed to do, are missing something special.

For example, DHB had better athleticism and was faster - nowhere near the receiver Griff is.  Some people can't see the difference.

Whalen is probably the most overrated player that has ever played for the colts. I don't understand it

He isn't even close to being the most overrated player that has ever played for the Colts. He is reliable. He catches everything he can get his hands on. He will never be a star but will perform well if he has to step in for one in a pinch.

He's going to be right there fighting for that last roster spot. I've seen several mock rosters (not just here but other media outlets as well ) that have the Colts not keep a fullback but keep a fourth tightend and five WRs with Griff released. If they don't keep a fullback id rsther the Colts keep three tightends and Griff as a sixth WR.

I can see Whalen having a career similar to Chrebet or Stokely.  Fans put too much emphasis on speed at the WR position and fail to realize how important it is to have a guy that will be in the right place at the right time and make the catch when it's thrown to him.  Then on top of that he is good on special teams as well.

We will most likely keep all WR's - Wayne, Nicks, Hilton, Moncrief, Rodgers, & Whalen.

Reggie could go down again with another ACL and Nicks may just not perform well (even though he had a great preseason so far). Etc. Etc.

We are always one play away from disaster.  Keep 7 go no full back (not likely) and only 3 TEs.

I see many predictions of us keeping 4 TEs....No please.

Whalen is probably the most overrated player that has ever played for the colts. I don't understand it

Do tell how he is? He has been incredibly reliable for us, performed pretty decent at everything we have asked. He can be a good go too guy. He works his butt off. I rarely agree with lone ranger but I definitely do this time

The Griffer gives 100% every time he's on the field.

He catches virtually everything that's thrown to him.

He runs great routes.

He plays bigger and faster than what he is.

Hmmmm...sounds like a WR on the Broncos.

There's absolutely no way another team wouldn't pick him up.

Without the concussion problems.........

I hope he stays 6 months ago I would have said let him go and keep Rogers but at this point I would keep him ahead of Rogers too. He does more on special teams and is in the right place, catch's the ball.

I know it is preseason but the  penalty Rogers picked up vs the Saints for not covering the TE is him in a nut shell not sure he ever puts it all together. I know today if I had to send one of them in to get me a first down it would be a no brainer.

That being said I think we keep 6.

I wouldn't mind keeping 6 WRs on the roster.  You have an aging Reggie and a bit of an unknown with Nicks.  Keep both guys on the roster, get them used to the offense, develop their talents, and your WR corps should be set for the next few years with Moncrief, Hilton, Whalen, Rogers, and possibly Nicks.  Throw in your TEs and you have a very dangerous group of pass catchers with mismatches all over the place

Do tell how he is? He has been incredibly reliable for us, performed pretty decent at everything we have asked. He can be a good go too guy. He works his butt off. I rarely agree with lone ranger but I definitely do this time

he has done very little and read how you all are talking

What do you think, will he make the final 53?

I'm just curious to know others thoughts, because i'm really high on this dudes work ethic and selflessness...

When I found out how many times he was on and off the 53 man roster last year I was like damn this dude is going through what I went through in high school (roster spots/cut obviously) and I couldn't help but admire how calm, cool, and collected he was in interviews about the whole situation. Long story short, I think he's a fan favorite, never drops the ball, and I really want him to make the team!!!

I'd take him over Fleener. We need to trade Fleener while he has some value. 

he has done very little and read how you all are talking

comparing the 5th and 6th WR's on the team discussing which one to keep If we only go with 5 seems like a fair conversation to me. I haven't heard anyone call for him to start or crazy business like that.

His special teams skills are what helps him in my opinion I don't see him on the field that much on O unless the injuries come.

He's solid, i wouldn't let him go, the only knock on him is athleticism, he's not big enough, he's not fast enough,  in my opinion he doesn't need to be, he doesn't need to be a star player, we have those, but every team needs blue collar lunch box carrying role players and that's what grif is. Dude works hard, keeps his nose clean and does his job, why let that go for another team to pick up? As long as he doesn't develop the concussion problem that so many smaller slot guys do its a no brainier to me.