Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

To understand Peyton Manning one has to know where he came from

Blue Horseshoe

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I read these types of stories on Manning, I wonder if the guy can ever just take a break from football. His drive is great and his striving for perfection and while that has fueled his tremendous success it borders on neurotic and perhaps even unhealthy.

A healthy obsession. imagine that pain in the butt being a 9-5 guy and roaming around the house

Imagine if he was your employer. It may go something like this,

You: "Boss, I need a day off at Christmas."

Manning: What?! You have been here  only 40 years and now you want a day off?! Are you nuts?  Here's your day off, it starts now and goes on after you are dead"!

Manning: What?! You have been here  only 40 years and now you want a day off?! Are you nuts?  Here's your day off, it starts now and goes on after you are dead"!

"Yes Boss."   Goes for a down and out to the coffee machine :)

All jokes aside, that's why some people think he wouldn't be a good coach.  He would have really high expectations and you can't teach things like work ethic and drive.  It could be really frustrating for both him as a coach and his player(s)

This is a little off topic in some ways but it's also spot on, if that makes any sense. I lost a friend because of a picture of Eli Manning he posted on Facebook (real life friend...this just happened to take place on Facebook). It was Eli Manning celebrating his SB win on 1 side and a picture of the silhouette of am American soldier on the other. Eli's caption read something like America loves me because I makes millions of dollars! The soldier's caption was something like America loves me less and I make thousands of dollars.

I tried to explain how tasteless that picture was, especially when you consider ARCHIE Manning but everybody was all Facebook proper and couldn't comprehend that I was doing anything but ripping our troops.

Archie got almost every bad break a guy could get even though he busted his butt every day of his life, and not just on the football field. Instead of commit suicide like a certain somebody he knew (and found dead) or be a loser his whole life he made...Peyton Manning!!!!!!

Every time I read these types of stories on Manning, I wonder if the guy can ever just take a break from football. His drive is great and his striving for perfection and while that has fueled his tremendous success it borders on neurotic and perhaps even unhealthy.  

It makes me wonder how it goes over with his receivers.  On one hand you know you are playing with one of the best in the game and in all likelyhood his abilities are going to make you look good on the football field.

But you are basically signing on to live football with very little breaks for the duration that you play with him.

This won't be a popular opinion, but that isn't work ethic, it's more like OCD.  In reality, it's controlling and self-focussed like OCD and will destroy real relationships.  (I have a dear friend and her family that are being ripped apart by similar issues). 

I cannot recall hearing anything from players he's played with talking about what a good friend he is, how able to be involved in their lives and their needs he is, how real he is with people.  Perhaps I've missed those as I've never lived in the city he plays in.  I'm not sure he has the ability to be a complete person, not just be perfect at one thing. Football, in the end, is just a game - life is real.

Another aspect of this is that every player has their own way to prepare themselves, their needs for sleep, alone time, family time, down time etc.  For someone to be so focussed on their own needs and not be aware of the needs of others isn't something I want in a player I root for.  I appreciate his hard work to recover, his preparation, his focus - 90% of it is okay.  The other 10% is mentally unbalanced and destructive in my opinion. 

Edited to add:  If you took the football out and put in any other situation in life, such as running a business - this would be seen in an entirely different light.  It would even be considered borderline abusive.  

This won't be a popular opinion, but that isn't work ethic, it's more like OCD.  In reality, it's controlling and self-focussed like OCD and will destroy real relationships.  (I have a dear friend and her family that are being ripped apart by similar issues). 

I cannot recall hearing anything from players he's played with talking about what a good friend he is, how able to be involved in their lives and their needs he is, how real he is with people.  Perhaps I've missed those as I've never lived in the city he plays in.  I'm not sure he has the ability to be a complete person, not just be perfect at one thing. Football, in the end, is just a game - life is real.

Another aspect of this is that every player has their own way to prepare themselves, their needs for sleep, alone time, family time, down time etc.  For someone to be so focussed on their own needs and not be aware of the needs of others isn't something I want in a player I root for.  I appreciate his hard work to recover, his preparation, his focus - 90% of it is okay.  The other 10% is mentally unbalanced and destructive in my opinion. 

Edited to add:  If you took the football out and put in any other situation in life, such as running a business - this would be seen in an entirely different light.  It would even be considered borderline abusive.  

Its like that OCD girl that you would like to hire and work with but would not want part of your home.

Maybe that is what Flacco was inferring when he said (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/08/28/joe-flacco-on-peyton-manning-he-has-guys-on-eggshells-and-that-works-for-him/21093/):

“Look at Peyton [Manning],” Flacco says. “He has guys on eggshells all the time. If they do the wrong thing, they’re thinking, ‘S—, he’s going to kill me.’ And that works for him. But at the same time, I think it’s tough to play in that environment. Sure, if you’re not consistently putting in the effort, that’s when I’m going to call you out. But if you’re putting in a full effort and you do something that costs us the game, what the f— is yelling going to do? The game’s over. Let’s move on and get better.”

Have you heard anyone complain about him?.

It makes me wonder how it goes over with his receivers.  On one hand you know you are playing with one of the best in the game and in all likelyhood his abilities are going to make you look good on the football field.

But you are basically signing on to live football with very little breaks for the duration that you play with him.

Pretty easy question to answer.  Show me a single one of them who talks about how horrible it was.  With Rodgers you have multiple players saying he was not a very good team mate.  With Roethlisberger Sanders, and probably others, complain about him never working with him.  With Manning I have never heard anything but positive things from his receivers.

Personally, I find it a joy to work with someone who cares about what they are doing and is willing to help those around them.  Apparently, Manning's team mates and coaches feel the same way.

Its like that OCD girl that you would like to hire and work with but would not want part of your home.

Maybe that is what Flacco was inferring when he said (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/08/28/joe-flacco-on-peyton-manning-he-has-guys-on-eggshells-and-that-works-for-him/21093/):

“Look at Peyton [Manning],” Flacco says. “He has guys on eggshells all the time. If they do the wrong thing, they’re thinking, ‘S—, he’s going to kill me.’ And that works for him. But at the same time, I think it’s tough to play in that environment. Sure, if you’re not consistently putting in the effort, that’s when I’m going to call you out. But if you’re putting in a full effort and you do something that costs us the game, what the f— is yelling going to do? The game’s over. Let’s move on and get better.”

If you did a poll of NFL players asking them "Would you rather have Peyton Manning be your quarterback or Joe Flacco?" what do you think the results would be?

I take issue with the bolded in particular. You can't recall hearing, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. In fact, it has.

I also think some take this to the extreme. The article talks about Manning meeting up with his receivers at Duke the week before OTAs started. Not the day after the SB. This is the time they'd be gearing up for football activities anyways, and Manning calls and says "hey, how bout we get some extra work the week before we report, that way we're a step ahead of the game?" This is the same thing other great QBs do, like Drew Brees running workouts with his teammates during the lockout.

The article also talks about Manning meeting with new receivers in his hotel room ... during training camp. A time where it's pretty much all football anyways. And it's not every night, nor is it 2 AM. 

I understand that there's a fine line between extra preparation and obsession, and I believe Manning is as close to obsession as anyone. But when you start talking about "borderline abusive," not being aware of people needing time for family and sleep, he doesn't have the ability to be a complete person, and so on, I think you're blowing it out of proportion.

Wow. That was brutal to read. Not sure if the reporter was trying to make Manning sound like a football crazed maniac but that is the way the story came across. We all know he is borderline obsessed with football and this article just moved that needle about 1000 percent.

But it's Peyton Manning...the ideal perfect god man for football, so OCD don't count :P

Wow. That was brutal to read. Not sure if the reporter was trying to make Manning sound like a football crazed maniac but that is the way the story came across. We all know he is borderline obsessed with football and this article just moved that needle about 1000 percent.

The article that praises his work ethic was "brutal"?

I think some people are seeing what they want to see.

Nothing in that article told me anything i didn't know before. He would fly to schools of wrs the colts would draft to work with the draft picks before mini camps and otas. Nothing about that story was in any way shocking to me

All this over preparing and mental agony delivered towards perfection in football also explains at times why he can't often deliver in the biggest games. Since when you over prepare so badly the slightest thing going wrong in a big game or big spot can make you lose your organized mental cool and then your mind can't handle it as well since it is not something you prepared for. Then you have to go to plan B or plan C and sometimes I think Peyton has his plan A and that has to be the plan for everyone.

Being able to improvise in itself in tough spots is a gift that cannot always be taught or learned. That is why an Eli or a Big Ben can sometimes get out of tricky situations in big games IMO....but not always be as well prepared on a weekly basis for the lousy teams.

All jokes aside, that's why some people think he wouldn't be a good coach.  He would have really high expectations and you can't teach things like work ethic and drive.  It could be really frustrating for both him as a coach and his player(s)

One thing that irritates and kind of amazes me is the number of fans...across all teams and all sports...who think that players would, somehow automatically, become "great coaches" when they retire. If you think about it, it happens very rarely. Most former players who do become good coaches were average to slightly above average in their playing days. But people still believe it.  

Well, I didn't need an article to tell me he was anal.

It has always been obvious.

Anal is probably a fair description.

All this over preparing and mental agony delivered towards perfection in football also explains at times why he can't often deliver in the biggest games. Since when you over prepare so badly the slightest thing going wrong in a big game or big spot can make you lose your organized mental cool and then your mind can't handle it as well since it is not something you prepared for. Then you have to go to plan B or plan C and sometimes I think Peyton has his plan A and that has to be the plan for everyone.

Being able to improvise in itself in tough spots is a gift that cannot always be taught or learned. That is why an Eli or a Big Ben can sometimes get out of tricky situations in big games IMO....but not always be as well prepared on a weekly basis for the lousy teams.

I don't know about that. Plenty of times Manning has started games out not playing so well, had to make adjustments, then more adjustments, and finally gets it going. He's never shown any problem with having Plan B, C or D. He's not an improvisational type of player, he's not going to wiggle out of sacks or scramble away from pressure, so in ways he's more dependent on his teammates executing that guys like Eli or Big Ben (or even Luck, I think).

I also think the myth about Manning not playing well in big games has been pretty well debunked. He's had some bad games, but he's had more good games, and several outstanding games, on the biggest stage.

Either way, I get why some see his obsession as perhaps being overboard, maybe even unhealthy. But I do take issue with some of the commentary.

Anal is probably a fair description.

I don't know about that. Plenty of times Manning has started games out not playing so well, had to make adjustments, then more adjustments, and finally gets it going. He's never shown any problem with having Plan B, C or D. He's not an improvisational type of player, he's not going to wiggle out of sacks or scramble away from pressure, so in ways he's more dependent on his teammates executing that guys like Eli or Big Ben (or even Luck, I think).

I also think the myth about Manning not playing well in big games has been pretty well debunked. He's had some bad games, but he's had more good games, and several outstanding games, on the biggest stage.

Either way, I get why some see his obsession as perhaps being overboard, maybe even unhealthy. But I do take issue with some of the commentary.

I have to disagree to an extent. I have been watching Manning as well as most of us since 1998. And while I have seen the charts and numbers and stats to debunk things. I don't feel he is the same guy at times in big games. I see it in his face as well......he can get all "tight". I think it is more evident when he is in Foxboro, a Super Bowl or out of his comfort zone. I think Manning is a huge creature of comfort/routine too and when he can be taken out of his elements he has trouble maintaining it all in his own head but thats just my opinion as someone who loves to over analyze things.

Granted, I have seen him play live before too. Mostly back when he was more in his prime. I also think he might be the best QB I have ever seen play in person before. But, in big games I do think he can over prepare at times which has bugged me a lot since I think he has issues at times just letting loose and sometimes I feel his attitude can spread to those around him with an inability to relax as their leader. I think the pressures put on Manning as well since he first entered this league have gotten to his head too and all of ours. We expect the world from this guy......and when he doesn't deliver and chances are the odds are often against his team......every error will gleam brighter then ever. As if he has to deliver all the time as this mythical "GOAT" figure of football.....which is impossible. Nobody is perfect.

What I mean is you can definitely go over board with over thinking and preparing for a game. I think you have to create the right balance between preparation and mental looseness and relaxation with the guys before hand. I think this is more of a big game thing then anything though not an every week thing. I have no doubts Manning can let loose with the guys on a weekly basis but I do feel things can change a tad with him entering a big playoff game or a game in say Foxboro. I think coming to Indy last year got in his head too........and I am curious to see how he is this year when we go to Denver opposed to him coming back here.

Guest nflfan014

I have to disagree to an extent. I have been watching Manning as well as most of us since 1998. And while I have seen the charts and numbers and stats to debunk things. I don't feel he is the same guy at times in big games. I see it in his face as well......he can get all "tight". I think it is more evident when he is in Foxboro, a Super Bowl or out of his comfort zone. I think Manning is a huge creature of comfort/routine too and when he can be taken out of his elements he has trouble maintaining it all in his own head but thats just my opinion as someone who loves to over analyze things.

Granted, I have seen him play live before too. Mostly back when he was more in his prime. I also think he might be the best QB I have ever seen play in person before. But, in big games I do think he can over prepare at times which has bugged me a lot since I think he has issues at times just letting loose and sometimes I feel his attitude can spread to those around him with an inability to relax as their leader. I think the pressures put on Manning as well since he first entered this league have gotten to his head too and all of ours. We expect the world from this guy......and when he doesn't deliver and chances are the odds are often against his team......every error will gleam brighter then ever. As if he has to deliver all the time as this mythical "GOAT" figure of football.....which is impossible. Nobody is perfect.

What I mean is you can definitely go over board with over thinking and preparing for a game. I think you have to create the right balance between preparation and mental looseness and relaxation with the guys before hand. I think this is more of a big game thing then anything though not an every week thing. I have no doubts Manning can let loose with the guys on a weekly basis but I do feel things can change a tad with him entering a big playoff game or a game in say Foxboro. I think coming to Indy last year got in his head too........and I am curious to see how he is this year when we go to Denver opposed to him coming back here.

I think he puts pressure on himself, but I also think the hype probably gets to him.  When you're put on that much of a pedestal, you probably feel like you have to deliver.  Compare that to the 2007 Giants who dressed up in all black and joked that they were going to their funeral, or the 2004 Red Sox when down 0-3 to the Yankees.  When you're the favorite every year and given the red carpet treatment, especially a creature of habit like Peyton, he probably gets really tight.

I'm not sure he gets the "Any Given Sunday" motto. It's not always about who is more prepared, but whose day it is. It's great to be as prepared as you can be for anything, but life always throws you curve balls. You can't prepare for those.

I don't agree with your theory, although I think I understand it.

I do agree with the bolded. Like you said, there are big games where he's "not the same guy," but I don't think that's anything outside the ordinary. He's playing better teams in the playoffs, and so are his teammates, and some of his worst games came against all time great teams in pretty unfavorable circumstances (like '03 in Foxboro, playing a dynasty-level team in freezing weather, on the road, not to mention the uncalled defensive penalties). Should he be expected to set records and play like "the greatest of all time" in those situations? I don't think those are fair expectations. Joe Montana is remembered for the highs, but he had some clunkers too, including in the playoffs. 

Also, the game in Indy last year, I don't think he had a bad game. Not by the numbers. And if not for a Ronnie Hillman fumble, they might have taken the lead late in the game, which would have been just another great comeback under his belt. Maybe he was a little unnerved, but I wouldn't point to that as being a game where he didn't perform the way he should have. 

One thing that irritates and kind of amazes me is the number of fans...across all teams and all sports...who think that players would, somehow automatically, become "great coaches" when they retire. If you think about it, it happens very rarely. Most former players who do become good coaches were average to slightly above average in their playing days. But people still believe it.

1 HoFer has a ring. 1. 1 guy. 1. Everybody ignores this.

I do agree with the bolded. Like you said, there are big games where he's "not the same guy," but I don't think that's anything outside the ordinary. He's playing better teams in the playoffs, and so are his teammates, and some of his worst games came against all time great teams in pretty unfavorable circumstances (like '03 in Foxboro, playing a dynasty-level team in freezing weather, on the road, not to mention the uncalled defensive penalties). Should he be expected to set records and play like "the greatest of all time" in those situations? I don't think those are fair expectations. Joe Montana is remembered for the highs, but he had some clunkers too, including in the playoffs. 

Also, the game in Indy last year, I don't think he had a bad game. Not by the numbers. And if not for a Ronnie Hillman fumble, they might have taken the lead late in the game, which would have been just another great comeback under his belt. Maybe he was a little unnerved, but I wouldn't point to that as being a game where he didn't perform the way he should have. 

This is where debates in football often lose me......they focus too heavily at times on numbers and stats which are fine at times, but it's not everything. We have to have opinions based on critical thinking on our own to make all these debates interesting even if they are not popular thoughts. I don't need numbers and stats to show me that Peyton was uncomfortable a lot last year in Indy for the game in that strange environment. Perhaps it was Mathis who made him this way wish some solid defensive play but as a whole I felt even from start to finish he was a tad spooked being here. But, before the game tons and tons of people made it out that he would carve us up worse then any team had ever been carved up before....simply out of some sort of mythical revenge since Irsay is a big meanie.

I see the same every single time he is in Foxboro. It never ends. I think Manning could play there every year till he is 80 and still look uncomfortable to me. Then he could play them at home and look like a much more comfortable man. Then again the Colts even without Manning look lost there but it is different to me......we just get out weaknesses exposed badly as a young team still developing.

The article that praises his work ethic was "brutal"?

I think some people are seeing what they want to see.

You don't find his "work ethic" insane as depicted in this article? I do. The author made him look like a lab rat and it was intentional which also probably explains many of the negative posts on this thread which are normally positive when people write personal pieces on Manning.

Also, the game in Indy last year, I don't think he had a bad game. Not by the numbers. And if not for a Ronnie Hillman fumble, they might have taken the lead late in the game, which would have been just another great comeback under his belt. Maybe he was a little unnerved, but I wouldn't point to that as being a game where he didn't perform the way he should have. 

This goes back to my theory from before that I do think our expectations of Manning are unfair. He is not the same QB when he plays teams above .500 as indicated by his record and stats. When he blows the doors off of Oakland and the Redskins, we expect him to do that to the playoff teams as well and when he doesn't then he gets labeled a choker. He is a great QB no doubt but the same as any other when he plays top competition - he struggles, at times has bad games, and is just as reliant on his team playing well around him to win.