Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you feel Grigs and Pagano force guys on the field

1yrdandacloudofdust

For instance, Louis looks better than Mewhort and Hugh, but its like he has no chance of starting. I'd like to see Mewhort get some RT reps. I'm just not sure about Gosder. Especially if you want a power run gm in the future.

Basically, there seems to be no genuine position battles. I believe the last 3 yrs the oline could've and Should've been better if Pagano or whomever would've replaced starters with their backup.

For instance, Louis looks better than Mewhort and Hugh, but its like he has no chance of starting. I'd like to see Mewhort get some RT reps. I'm just not sure about Gosder. Especially if you want a power run gm in the future.

Basically, there seems to be no genuine position battles. I believe the last 3 yrs the oline could've and Should've been better if Pagano or whomever would've replaced starters with their backup.

When Louis was with the 1's he looked like crap in pass protection.

Louis was 12 for 22 prior to the Saints game on run blocks....55% and 58 of 76 total total blocks prior to the Saints game....77%...I think I want a Guard that can do better then that overall I want any one player among my O Line at an 83 percent in pass protection as a whole

Colts ran 1023 total offensive plays last season on offense...409 rushing plays, 582 passing plays...(The other 32 I don't really know where they came from)...Out of 582 pass plays I want no more then 32 sacks on Luck and 70 hits on Luck...That's 4.3 hits per game....Luck has taken 4.6 through the first 3 games..taking the most against the Saints at 7...They will probably be 1 of the most aggressive teams on defense in the league this year with Rob Ryan as d coordinator and several aggressive minded players...Running wise.....Don't hold your breath as long as Pep is trying to force Man Blocking mostly down our throats

Pre season games are not the tell all when it comes to players on the field during those games. How a player is doing in practice and in film room plays a part. Sometimes a coach just wants to look at certain players in live game situations. Coaches  may already have their mind made up on who the starter is and are keeping them out of harms way so to say.

No he doesn't.  I need to go back and watch the first two games again but Louis is not even the 3rd best guard on the team right now.

No, although I feel that 1yrd&cldofdst forces asinine and half baked conclusions on the rest of us.

Depends on your definition.  Do you consider Reitz and Holmes guards?  If not, I'd say Louis is #3.

I was not considering Reitz, I was thinking more about Walker.  Louis is a good run blocker but not a good pass blocker.  There were several time when the center was engaged and still had to step to Louis side to help him.  Also Louis is not good at directing his defender so he can pass him off and take a delayed or stunting defender... when that happened he just got overwhelmed.

I was not considering Reitz, I was thinking more about Walker.  Louis is a good run blocker but not a good pass blocker.  There were several time when the center was engaged and still had to step to Louis side to help him.  Also Louis is not good at directing his defender so he can pass him off and take a delayed or stunting defender... when that happened he just got overwhelmed.

Good points.  I always like to read Ben Gundy's O line analysis on Colts Authority.  I'll be interested in this weeks piece.  Walker is a suprise to me.

so you don't think the OL coach has any say in who starts on the OL?

Yes....Kelvin Shappard. 

GET HIM OFF THE FIELD, AND OFF THE TEAM. 

Oh, and in no universe is Louis better than Mewhort or Thornton. 

Agreed, to the second point.

Two weeks ago, would have agreed with the first point also. But Sheppard has been good, I think, especially against the run. Not great in coverage, and he overran some run plays Saturday, but I think he should make the team at this point. Ahead of Andrew Jackson, who hasn't played. I'd keep Freeman, D. Jackson, Sheppard, McNary and Muamba. Studebaker has also played ILB because of the injuries.

Agreed, to the second point.

Two weeks ago, would have agreed with the first point also. But Sheppard has been good, I think, especially against the run. Not great in coverage, and he overran some run plays Saturday, but I think he should make the team at this point. Ahead of Andrew Jackson, who hasn't played. I'd keep Freeman, D. Jackson, Sheppard, McNary and Muamba. Studebaker has also played ILB because of the injuries.

Sheppard has been good against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I actually think Studebaker is better at ILB than him. 

Sheppard has been good against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I actually think Studebaker is better at ILB than him. 

Sheppard has been starting, and playing well, IMO. 

I'm not clinging on to him out of sentimentality; a month ago, he was on my cut list. But I think he's been solid, at least. And with the injuries to other ILBs, he becomes kind of necessary.

I do think Studebaker has been okay at ILB, but he's only played that spot as a reserve. I like his versatility, though.

Here is the deal.

Joe Reitz has played guard, and tackle. He was a former basketball player and TE, he has enough athletic ability.

So, if we are having issues with our guards pulling, why not give him a shot with the first unit when Donald Thomas went down instead of trying to force feed our draft picks or journeymen who are not ready just because you signed or drafted them?

Here is the deal.

Joe Reitz has played guard, and tackle. He was a former basketball player and TE, he has enough athletic ability.

So, if we are having issues with our guards pulling, why not give him a shot with the first unit when Donald Thomas went down instead of trying to force feed our draft picks or journeymen who are not ready just because you signed or drafted them?

Because Mewhort is going to learn more in preseason than he will in practice where contact is tightly controlled

Here is the deal.

Can't get Mewhort ready unless you put him on the field. But that is a fair argument. Reitz is probably a better option at LG than anyone else, including Louis. But Mewhort is the guy they expect to be a long term part of the team, and getting him in there sooner rather than later serves the team's interests best.

Plus, they've wanted to have Reitz as the backup tackle, especially with Nixon not playing. If necessary, I think everyone knows Reitz could kick in to tackle with no issue.

Here is the deal.

Or we just get rid of that play and stick to running out the shotgun and pistol

You know? Those 1st two runs where Richardson actually gained yards

I would definitely prefer they NOT run the offense exclusively from the shotgun and/or pistol.

Hugh Thornton Vs Saints

The second-year guard was the Colts’ only offensive starter to receive a “green” grade from Pro Football Focus, with a combined +2.1 grade on screen and run blocks. Thornton did have at least one poor play, as he tripped on a pull that blew up a Richardson draw, but the rest of the day seemed like a net gain for the youngster. - Colts Authority

Maybe I drink too much koolaid but I believe that paganos goal is to always win. He'll put the best team out there at his disposal. And he knows much more about the ins and outs of this team than I do.

Exactly. They put the guys on the field that they think will help them win games. It always cracks me up when fans suggest that they know the personnel better than the coaches. They watch tons of film, over and over again, they watch the players in practice (and evaluate that film), they know whether the players are executing their assignments or struggling with concepts, etc.

Some coaches aren't good at these things. But I can't imagine that any coach, aside from having a personal vendetta against someone, wouldn't want to put their best players on the field every week. 

Respectfully,   there are no circumstances in which I don't want a large percentage of plays with Luck under center.

I think the shotgun and pistol are limiting in what we can do with the run.

And I think anything that deliberately limits what we can do offensively is not to our advantage.

Respectfully, there are no circumstances in which I don't want a large percentage of plays with Luck under center.

I think the shotgun and pistol are limiting in what we can do with the run.

And I think anything that deliberately limits what we can do offensively is not to our advantage.

Green Bay & Denver seem to have no problems running out the shotgun

Their offenses work perfectly fine imo

Maybe I drink too much koolaid but I believe that paganos goal is to always win. He'll put the best team out there at his disposal. And he knows much more about the ins and outs of this team than I do.

Satele and McGlynn were continually forced into the starting lineup by someone. Who exactly that was, I don't know, but that person was not making decisions from the standpoint of having the best team out there -- obviously

We run effectively out of 3 WR sets with Luck under C it's when we load up and advertise run and RARELY do anything but run in those formations things go bad

We just can't line up and blow people off the ball like Pep wants at least not yet. As far as Walker great potential but he's not ready to step in yet. He's a PS hopefully future answer to LG. I was impressed with his run blocking but it was vs 2/3's and he looked a little uncomfortable in pass protection to me.

I personally think we are starting the best players we have and it looks good minus pulling Mewhort Holmes should only improve things

Green Bay & Denver seem to have no problems running out the shotgun

Their offenses work perfectly fine imo

I know....   Does Peyton run exclusively out of the shotgun now?    Nothing under center?     If that's the case,  it's because of his neck, and the desire to protect him,   not because it makes the Broncos offense any better.

I just think Luck is exceptionally good under center and using play action off that...   and the less we use Luck under center,  the less effective I think he'll be.

Satele and McGlynn were continually forced into the starting lineup by someone. Who exactly that was, I don't know, but that person was not making decisions from the standpoint of having the best team out there -- obviously

Why wouldn't the coaches and GM want the best players on the field? Why wouldn't they put the guys out there that they think have the best chance to win?

The question posed by the OP, that you are doubling down on, suggests that someone determined that Satele and McGlynn would play, whether they were the best option or not. 

I know....   Does Peyton run exclusively out of the shotgun now?    Nothing under center?     If that's the case,  it's because of his neck, and the desire to protect him,   not because it makes the Broncos offense any better.

I just think Luck is exceptionally good under center and using play action off that...   and the less we use Luck under center,  the less effective I think he'll be.

We can't and won't run mostly shotgun or pistol (though we've seen a bit of pistol in the preseason, and it's looked good when we run from it). And Luck is really good dropping back and using play action from under center.

But we can use play action out of shotgun and pistol.

And more importantly, the offense has seemed to perform better when we use a lot of shotgun. When we finally went mostly with 3WR sets and a lot of shotgun last season, the offense was more efficient and more productive. Luck does just as good out of shotgun as he does from under center, maybe better.

Why wouldn't the coaches and GM want the best players on the field? Why wouldn't they put the guys out there that they think have the best chance to win?

The question posed by the OP, that you are doubling down on, suggests that someone determined that Satele and McGlynn would play, whether they were the best option or not.

That's because I am of the same opinion. I realize this could turn into arguing semantics, but I think that Satele and McGlynn were pushed to play, when the staff knew full well that there were more talented players on the roster. Do i think they were doing it to sabotage the team? No. I do think that it mainly stemmed from them overvaluing experience, however...which is strange because this year they seem to be all in on youth, regarding the offensive line. Maybe they've realized the error of their sins, per se?

To tell you the truth, I don't really know what their strategy is regarding the offensive line (or if they even have one), they're all over the place, but I do know that last season, better players were left on the bench for a good portion of the year. The OP's question isn't unreasonable, to me