Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hasslebeck to St.Louis?

Rebelknight

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm suprised by some of the vehemence being shown against this idea,if Luck goes down it's season over anyway so you might as well get a decent draft pick out of it. Besides if a good price was offered you really should be taking it on principle,

However no way the Rams want any piece of such a trade.

Why is it that everyone in this thread thinks the only type of injury a player can suffer is a season-ending one?

I like the plan a lot; the only problem is that Harnish isn't ready for the backup job. I gave him hope when the preseason started, but now, it's obvious he's not ready.

So, for that reason, they'll need to keep Hasselbeck, but Rams will definitely need to find a new QB. They can't go all in on Shaun Hill.

Actually Shaun Hill has better stats than Bradford. His YPA, QBR, W/L are all higher than Sam's. They should just roll with him...and if they suck...they get YET another high draft pick to restart with. That team is loaded with young talent....and yet they just can't find a way to win.

A very good point,one I must concede I hadn't thought of.

Yeah, we sometimes automatically assume an injury to the QB means he's gone for the year. But if we lose Luck for a month, especially if it were the month where we play three of four at home, with the road game being against the Browns (and the home games are Jacksonville, Washington and Houston), a good backup might be the difference between 0-4 and 3-1.

By the way: KNOCK ON WOOD

If the Rams offer a 4th round pick, I am all in on trading Matt. I like him as a backup, but the 4th rounder is more valuable in my opinion. It would be a great trade chip. Matt has already stated he wants to keep playing beyond this season so this is not necessarily a one and done with him in St Louis. 

I am actually very interested in trading for Alex Boone. He is an ELITE guard. If you look at the success in New Orleans, it is tough not to notice they have the best guard tandem in the league, Jahiri Evans and Ben Grubbs. Both of those guys are top 10 guards in the NFL. 

Pick up an extra 4th and give the 49ers a 2nd and 4th rounder for Alex Boone and Corey Lemonier. 

He'll be 39 in a month, would have missed all of the Rams training camp and will have to learn on the fly, which is difficult for any player to do, let alone a QB. Which means that he wouldn't really be effective until mid-season at the earliest.  His contract is up at the end of this season, on top of all that.  It would be a bad trade for everyone involved.  I don't see how we'd get anything but a 7th round pick, and that's being generous.

I think the objective in a trade is to help yourself. So if they offered more then what the colts value hassellbeck, then they would be helping themselves and the rams

Yeah I don't see that unless they make an offer to the Colts.

Collins was the real backup. Kap is a starting caliber player where as Hasselbeck is not.

That's rewriting history.

Kay was a backup who led SF to the bowl...That's just the way it was..

Hasselbeck is one of the top 30 QBs of all time in passing yards. Same age bracket as Brees Brady and Manning.

Ask the Rams if they'd like Matt as their QB this week. They wish they had him/

Hasselbeck is one of the top 30 QBs of all time in passing yards. Same age bracket as Brees Brady and Manning.

It's two weeks before the opener. They are gonna roll with Shaun Hill' He knows the offense. They aren't gonna trade for a starting qb this late in the game

If the Rams offer a 4th round pick, I am all in on trading Matt. I like him as a backup, but the 4th rounder is more valuable in my opinion. It would be a great trade chip. Matt has already stated he wants to keep playing beyond this season so this is not necessarily a one and done with him in St Louis.

I am actually very interested in trading for Alex Boone. He is an ELITE guard. If you look at the success in New Orleans, it is tough not to notice they have the best guard tandem in the league, Jahiri Evans and Ben Grubbs. Both of those guys are top 10 guards in the NFL.

Pick up an extra 4th and give the 49ers a 2nd and 4th rounder for Alex Boone and Corey Lemonier.

:thmup:

Eh, only cause the read-option took the NFL by storm that year. Kao hasn't down anything since

He's average when you take away that read option. Average in the pocket (and that's being generous)

No because backups are only good if they've had a while to learn the system. I don't believe in having a top guy for backup but I still believe consistency in the system is key. Plenty of guys have proved that.

So Hass hasn't been here long enough to learn the system? That's funny, he has the same amount as Luck does with Pep.

LOL @ the idea of even thinking the Rams would want to trade for Hasselbeck. Not happening. Nobody wins.

LOL @ thinking Sanchez could be on his way to St. Louis. We know what he and Schotty can do with sub-par WRS and a decent defense to fall back on. Nobody wins. Plus he is on a one year deal. Why would he want to go to a tougher division AFTER training camp has concluded. Sound like he is throwing future money down the drain to me.

Rolling with Shaun Hill is the most obvious thing to do. 

Ryan Mallett might be a choice only because he NEEDS to make a name for himself before his contract expires or he will be a perennial backup his entire career.

Kick Cousins would be optimal but, I don't see the Redskins giving him away for a reasonable price with RG3 struggling in a new scheme.

I guess I took it for granted his time with the Colts, not college. Besides it's not college they are playing.

Regardless of the level, the terminology and other are the same so Andrew, Fleener,& Whalen had the leg up on everyone

I guess you can throw Howell in there too since he defended the offense in practice

Andrew was with Pep at stanford. But Matt knows this offense inside and out by now. He is a pro

I didn't count the Stanford time because it was college. But I agree that Hass is a pro and more than likely knows the offense as well as Luck. Right now I can't think of any reason for the Colts not to keep Hass unless something out of the ordinary happens. I don't see the Rams or any other team giving up what Hass is valued with the Colts.

I think the objective in a trade is to help yourself. So if they offered more then what the colts value hassellbeck, then they would be helping themselves and the rams

unless of course Luck gets hurt and has to miss some time then this trade would be hurting them.

I don't get this forum at times for years people complained about how the Colts didn't have a proper backup for Peyton and when they finally needed one the fans here crucified the GM for not having one.

So Grigson goes out and gets one and now the fans want to give him away. Don't we learn anything from history?

If luck gets hurt, we aren't going anywhere anyway.

Hasselbeck is still good enough to win a AFC South Division Crown or at least keep us competitive as in in the hunt anyway.

The odds of Hassellbeck winning with this team are slim.

Matthew was decent in Tennessee when Jake Locker was out. 

I'm suprised by some of the vehemence being shown against this idea,if Luck goes down it's season over anyway so you might as well get a decent draft pick out of it. Besides if a good price was offered you really should be taking it on principle,

However no way the Rams want any piece of such a trade.

I get your point from a general perspective SCC. However, I still wanna fight & try to win games even if god forbid Luck went down. I never quit, retreat, or throw in the towel ever. If INDY capitulates so easily, why even suit up at all? 

Trade Hasselback to St. Louis for one of their seemingly endless supply of awesome D-linemen. 

That's the best argument I've heard so far for doing it Lollygager. I still wouldn't do it, but I will admit I will sit down at the table & give you a chance to persuade me further. Harnish can't take over the QB reins though. He's not good enough or even competent enough to do so. That's the problem. 

LOL @ the idea of even thinking the Rams would want to trade for Hasselbeck. Not happening. Nobody wins.

LOL @ thinking Sanchez could be on his way to St. Louis. We know what he and Schotty can do with sub-par WRS and a decent defense to fall back on. Nobody wins. Plus he is on a one year deal. Why would he want to go to a tougher division AFTER training camp has concluded. Sound like he is throwing future money down the drain to me.

Rolling with Shaun Hill is the most obvious thing to do. 

Ryan Mallett might be a choice only because he NEEDS to make a name for himself before his contract expires or he will be a perennial backup his entire career.

Kick Cousins would be optimal but, I don't see the Redskins giving him away for a reasonable price with RG3 struggling in a new scheme.

Nice post Mr. NLM. I especially like your last 2 lines. Mallet played really good against Philadelphia in the Preseason, but HC BB in NE knows that Jim G. can't take over right now if Brady went down so Foxboro keeps 3 QBs on their roster meaning Ryan is not an option. 

You're also right about RG3. He takes too many hits & the Redskins need Cousins as their break the glass in case of emergency insurance policy. He's not leaving DC either. I agree 100%

Hasselbeck is still good enough to win a AFC South Division Crown or at least keep us competitive as in in the hunt anyway.

Matthew was decent in Tennessee when Jake Locker was out.

I get your point from a general perspective SCC. However, I still wanna fight & try to win games even if god forbid Luck went down. I never quit, retreat, or throw in the towel ever. If INDY capitulates so easily, why even suit up at all?

That's the best argument I've heard so far for doing it Lollygager. I still wouldn't do it, but I will admit I will sit down at the table & give you a chance to persuade me further. Harnish can't take over the QB reins though. He's not good enough or even competent enough to do so. That's the problem.

Matt never led the titans to a division title in Tennessee.

I don't think he said that. At least not in this post. He said Hasslebeck is still good enough to win the AFC South referring to one with this Colts team should Luck go down. Then he said Hasslebeck played well with the Titans when Locker went down. Two different thoughts.

Shaun Hill isn't the address going forward for the Rams. However why would they trade anything when a collective amount of QB's will be available in the 2015 draft? Either give Bradford a shot at camp or have your plan B ready.

Where does southwest1 say that Matt took the Titans to a division title? It was kind of hard for the Titans, Jags and Texans to win a division when Manning was with the Colts. In case your memory is bad Matt did take the Seahawks to the super bowl. Didn't win it but lost to the Steelers on some very controversial calls by the refs.

Where does southwest1 say that Matt took the Titans to a division title? It was kind of hard for the Titans, Jags and Texans to win a division when Manning was with the Colts. In case your memory is bad Matt did take the Seahawks to the super bowl. Didn't win it but lost to the Steelers on some very controversial calls by the refs.

As i have mentioned several times. He took the Seahawks to the superbowl nine years ago. My other point was, if he couldn't win the south when he was the titans qb, how could he do it now with this oline? He is 39 years old. He wouldn't make it four games with our protection

I don't think he said that. At least not in this post. He said Hasslebeck is still good enough to win the AFC South referring to one with this Colts team should Luck go down. Then he said Hasslebeck played well with the Titans when Locker went down. Two different thoughts.

Precisely, GC8818. That was my primary point. Matthew is still good enough to win the AFC South if he was called upon to do so & he's proven as a backup in Tennessee that he can take the reins & still win football games.

I know that Jvan. I was responding directly to your own statement " we aren't going anywhere anyway" if Luck goes down. I disagree with that claim because it flies in the face of every HC's motto: "The next man up, nothing is given it must be earned, & you rise above adversity you don't quit because of it." 

Where in my statement did I say that Matthew won a division title for the Titans? I didn't. 

I'm not calling anybody out; just clarifying my point of view BTW. That's it. 

As i have mentioned several times. He took the Seahawks to the superbowl nine years ago. My other point was, if he couldn't win the south when he was the titans qb, how could he do it now with this oline? He is 39 years old. He wouldn't make it four games with our protection

Luck can win with this o-line, but Hasselbeck can't? Come on, we aren't talking about Kerry Collins in INDY here Matthew can move, change his launch point, & still generate completions & keep drives alive.

Experience matters Jvan. You make it sound like Matthew is an invalid, senior citizen in a wheel chair. LOL! He's not at death's door man.