Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We will be a Pass Happy Team.

OldSchoolColt

Why?

- If you take off the rose colored glasses, you will see that we will not be able to run well with this inexperienced o-line who has not had even a year to jell together. Was ranked 28th and that was with Thomas.  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2099809-power-ranking-nfl-offensive-line-depth-charts/page/6

- Luck will SHINE Luck will still be able to pass with this o-line.

- Wicked group of WRs who will be able to catch all over the field including deep and in the red zone.

- TE's who will truly make a name for themselves as the best tandem. Someone say Pro Bowl Allen?

- Pep's changes in play calling last year lead to more pass intensive.

- Pep wanting to keep his job.  "The Colts lose another after conservative play calling by the OC" Don't think so.

- Once again, the league favors passing. "Penalties up nearly 44 percent from last year’s preseason making illegal contact by pass defenders and defensive holding in the secondary major points of officiating emphasis."

- Synergy between great QB and WRs.

Maybe I am wrong?

Why?

- If you take off the rose colored glasses, you will see that we will not be able to run well with this inexperienced o-line who has not had even a year to jell together. Was ranked 28th and that was with Thomas.  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2099809-power-ranking-nfl-offensive-line-depth-charts/page/6

- Wicked group of WRs who will be able to catch all over the field including deep and in the red zone.

- TE's who will truly make a name for themselves as the best tandem. Someone say Pro Bowl Allen?

- Pep wanting to keep his job.  "The Colts lose another after conservative play calling by the OC" Don't think so.

- Once again, the league favors passing. "Penalties up nearly 44 percent from last year’s preseason making illegal contact by pass defenders and defensive holding in the secondary major points of officiating emphasis."

Maybe I am wrong?

When you have no running game, what other choice do you have?

Dwayne Allen has been disappointing thus far. Hopefully it's just the rust from missing most of last year. But he's been off this preseason

Until I see Pep making us pass happy,I won't believe it.

All signs point to the pass happy offense, but if the OC isn't calling it... It's not getting ran on the field

And why did you say "Ranked 28th with Thomas"?

Thomas played like 3 games last year

Why?

Maybe I am wrong?

You do realize that the Bleacher Report isn't exactly a good way of proving something.  Their opinion is just opinion and it's about as good as anyone elses.

However I do think we'll let Luck throw the ball more this year.  

You do realize that the Bleacher Report isn't exactly a good way of proving something. Their opinion is just opinion and it's about as good as anyone elses.

However I do think we'll let Luck throw the ball more this year.

We can hope. That is our strength

Pretty much every team in the NFL hovers around the 55-45 ratio in favor of the pass, we finally have the weapons to take it to 60-40 at least.

Besides, offensive efficiency in play calling and timely play calling is probably more important than the ratio itself. Even if we run less, if we are efficient with it, that is all I care about.

Do they still sell them? I thought those went out at the end of the 60s.

IDK, but apparently many of us have them, and I feel left out.

If they can help me see a better running game, I'm all for it.

Heck I'll by pairs for the entire OL, and the RBs. They can't be that expensive.

I'm just hoping they still do sell them, and we not talking about a bunch of fans who've hung on to them for decades.

Hmm, I'll check out the consignment shops and garage sales also.

Dwayne Allen has been disappointing thus far. Hopefully it's just the rust from missing most of last year. But he's been off this preseason

All signs point to the pass happy offense, but if the OC isn't calling it... It's not getting ran on the field

The 28th ranking is for 2014. They ranked us near bottom and that was with expecting us to have Thomas playing LG.

Pep won't have a choice is what I am saying. "Playmaker driven" offense as Pep said.

We can hope. That is our strength

I would agree but I would like to see us have a good run game too.  I just don't want to play this game where we hand the ball off on first and 2nd down for like 5 straight drives and then wait until we're down 21-0 before we start letting Luck throw the ball.

TK....

The first team offense has barely played at all this pre-season.      Give it some time.

IMO offense is all about deception.  Not that you show one thing but do another, that is easy to counter, but you show the same thing time and time again but do different things.  I know this seems like football 101 to a lot of you, but it's not something I think Pep has grasped yet (maybe he has and is just not showing it in the preseason).

For example, the reason the stretch play used to be so effective for the Colts is because everyone, including the line, did the exact same thing whether it was a run or a pass.  The tackle would crash down on the DT, the guard would pull, the WRs ran their routes, the running back went to take the ball, the QB showed the ball and put it in the RB's gut.  That first .75 seconds looked exactly the same.  Safeties would have to stay back if it were a pass, LBers would have to guess and hope they guessed correctly.  Additionally, the Colts would run the stretch/PAP out of any formation (granted they didn't have a lot of different formations under Moore).

Pep seems to still have that attitude of {it doesn't matter if the other teams know what we are doing, let them try to stop us.} but it does matter.

We MAY be a passing team.    But we don't want to be.

So,  it will take a number of games before we make that switch.    And I'm predicting we're going to lose our first two games.

And, if by some miracle the starters on the o-line can remain healthy,  the moment Pep/Pags think the line is gelling,  we'll run much, much more.    Count on it.

We MAY be a passing team. But we don't want to be.

So, it will take a number of games before we make that switch. And I'm predicting we're going to lose our first two games.

And, if by some miracle the starters on the o-line can remain healthy, the moment Pep/Pags think the line is gelling, we'll run much, much more. Count on it.

That's all terrifying.

Unfortunately it's looking like last year. We will pound our heads against the wall and struggle to run before we are forced to turn Luck loose. The difference this year is it looks like we have a stout run defense. The one area we failed to address in my mind was the glaring lack of PROVEN run blockers.

The good news is that it would probably take major injuries, swarming locus, plagues or WWIII for us not to win the division. This will give our o-line much needed experience and time to gel into a decent line for the playoffs. ( I can not say "Playoffs" without hearing Mora saying it)  That, and if Bradshaw is not hurt yet by then, we should have a more balanced attack to take the next step.

We MAY be a passing team.    But we don't want to be.

So,  it will take a number of games before we make that switch.    And I'm predicting we're going to lose our first two games.

And, if by some miracle the starters on the o-line can remain healthy,  the moment Pep/Pags think the line is gelling,  we'll run much, much more.    Count on it.

I fancy my chances at home vs the Eagles definitely. Colts have historically played well vs the Eagles. Lately, we have had more issues with mobile QBs and if Vick were still playing an early season game QBing the Eagles, I'd be more worried but with Foles, we can focus on our base D and without DJax, the home run threat is not there nearly as much that we can hone in on underneath routes and stopping McCoy.

Why?

Maybe I am wrong?

Thomas was not the reason for the lack of a run game, being plagued by injuries up front as well as having a good awful Center and inconsistent gaurds. Have faith and give it a chance before counting them out. 

I fancy my chances at home vs the Eagles definitely. Colts have historically played well vs the Eagles. Lately, we have had more issues with mobile QBs and if Vick were still playing an early season game QBing the Eagles, I'd be more worried but with Foles, we can focus on our base D and without DJax, the home run threat is not there nearly as much that we can hone in on underneath routes and stopping McCoy.

And their defense is less than intimidating.

TK....

The first team offense has barely played at all this pre-season. Give it some time.

Their time is up tomorrow night in the dress rehearsal game. Closest thing we'll get to regular season action until the season opener.

Not saying throw the whole playbook out, but show me you're trying to take advantage of the weapons we have

And can someone tell Pep to use Andrew on some rollout passes?!

I got banned from the sideline after I spilled Mr. Grigson's apple juice :(

Their time is up tomorrow night in the dress rehearsal game. Closest thing we'll get to regular season action until the season opener.

Not saying throw the whole playbook out, but show me you're trying to take advantage of the weapons we have

I don't pretend to know what we'll see tomorrow night.    I suspect Pep will still keep things pretty vanilla and save the best for the regular season.    That's been his way.   

To be clear,  I'm with you on wanting more to Allen.   And I'm with you on wanting more roll out passes from Andrew.

But if we don't see it tomorrow night,  don't think that means it's not going to happen during the regular season.    It will.   At least,  that's my hunch.....

My concern with measuring the game vs. the Eagles on an historical basis is this.....

With Chip Kelly as the head coach,  whatever the Eagles were historically now means.......   nothing.

It's a clean slate.    And make no mistake,  the Eagles have lots and lots and of weapons.

WR's:   Maclin, Cooper and Matthews.... 

TE's:    Celick and Ertz

RB's:   McCoy and Spoules

That's a lot of fire power,  even without DJax.

Kelly is very smart.    Some NFL people consider him a near genius.   I've actually read that description of him,  genius.

I just hope we're up to the task in week 2.    I think it's going to be incredibly difficult -- especially without Mathis.

I don't pretend to know what we'll see tomorrow night. I suspect Pep will still keep things pretty vanilla and save the best for the regular season. That's been his way.

To be clear, I'm with you on wanting more to Allen. And I'm with you on wanting more roll out passes from Andrew.

But if we don't see it tomorrow night, don't think that means it's not going to happen during the regular season. It will. At least, that's my hunch.....

It just makes no sense to have Andrew break downfield on a QB run (Chiefs Playoff game) but we can't draw up a simple rollout?

It's too much talent on this field, and I don't feel Pep is gonna maximize it to it's fullest potential

I don't buy into Pagano or Pep feeling the need to see anything more than some rhythm and continuity from the 1st team offense. I think they have seen much of that the first two games.  

As long as Allen is healthy going into the season, they'll be happy - he's still learning and catching up considering he missed a whole season.  But their philosophy is going to be play match ups and take what the defense gives you.

I don't see Pep having Luck rollout much.  They want him in the pocket, hopefully well protected and throwing darts rather than being exposed to LBs and DEs.

I don't buy into Pagano or Pep feeling the need to see anything more than some rhythm and continuity from the 1st team offense. I think they have seen much of that the first two games.

As long as Allen is healthy going into the season, they'll be happy - he's still learning and catching up considering he missed a whole season. But their philosophy is going to be play match ups and take what the defense gives you.

I don't see Pep having Luck rollout much. They want him in the pocket, hopefully well protected and throwing darts rather than being exposed to LBs and DEs.

The way our offensive line has blocked since Andrew got here, he's exposed every play. You move the pocket to increase protection.

At least, that's what I'd do

IMO offense is all about deception.  Not that you show one thing but do another, that is easy to counter, but you show the same thing time and time again but do different things.  I know this seems like football 101 to a lot of you, but it's not something I think Pep has grasped yet (maybe he has and is just not showing it in the preseason).

For example, the reason the stretch play used to be so effective for the Colts is because everyone, including the line, did the exact same thing whether it was a run or a pass.  The tackle would crash down on the DT, the guard would pull, the WRs ran their routes, the running back went to take the ball, the QB showed the ball and put it in the RB's gut.  That first .75 seconds looked exactly the same.  Safeties would have to stay back if it were a pass, LBers would have to guess and hope they guessed correctly.  Additionally, the Colts would run the stretch/PAP out of any formation (granted they didn't have a lot of different formations under Moore).

Pep seems to still have that attitude of {it doesn't matter if the other teams know what we are doing, let them try to stop us.} but it does matter.

The stretch play was so effective because Peyton was so good at selling it and at play action. 

To me, the bolded goes right along with what you're saying. Fewer formations, more options out of each formation, and do it well. It's not just Pep that's struggling with that. I had the same gripe about Arians in 2012. 

I like what we've done so far in preseason. I'll be watching carefully tomorrow.

You need talent all over the field to just line-up and say "here comes the Stretch Play - stop it if you can".  Pep's offensive deception though is predicated on power running - beat the team into submission and run play action.  Our OLine might be slightly better than last year - Pep has to rely upon deception to find TRich some running lanes so the defense has to play it honest.  Any other point of view is wishful thinking.

You need talent all over the field to just line-up and say "here comes the Stretch Play - stop it if you can".  Pep's offensive deception though is predicated on power running - beat the team into submission and run play action.  Our OLine might be slightly better than last year - Pep has to rely upon deception to find TRich some running lanes so the defense has to play it honest.  Any other point of view is wishful thinking.

I think deception is the wrong word, to be honest. I understand what Coffee is saying, but I think what will make our offense more efficient will be dictating matchups. It's hard to match up with our best offensive packages, whether it's 3WR/1TE or 2WR/TE. And if we put a playmaker in the slot, either the defense will counter with a nickel look, making it easier to run, or they'll counter with a single high look, making it easier to throw the ball down the field. 

And then, once we get a favorable matchup, dictate tempo, don't let them sub, don't let them get settled in, and keep picking at the sore spots, wherever they are. I think Luck is good enough to do this, and the coaches have paid lip service to the idea through the offseason and preseason, even going uptempo at times in the first two games.

I think -- and maybe I just hope -- that the Stanford philosophy that Pep was brought up with and that Pagano and Grigson have preached will take a bit of a backseat this year. Pagano said this week that you can take what the defense gives you when it comes to running or passing, and in a roundabout way, he suggested that we can use the pass to set up the run. That's the opposite of what we've heard for the past year, and I'm thankful for that. I hope it comes to fruition this season, because if it does, then we'll actually have a hope of using the run more efficiently, which will in turn make the the passing attack more effective. And once that's set in motion, then play action really has some value, and even the power running will be a little less predictable.