Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Had my draft yesterday, how'd I do?

I'd love your guys' input on my draft...

QB: Luck, Kaepernick
RB: Gerhart, T Richardson, Eddie Lacey, Devonta Freeman, Chris Ivory
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Emmanuel Sanders, TY Hilton, Marvin Jones, Sammy Watkins
TE: Dennis Pitta, Charles Clay
D/ST: Seattle
K: Viniatieri
D/Flex: Jedeveon Clowney

It's a PPR 10 team league, but a lot of people took QBs first round (Manning went first overall) and disregarded RBs until late. I held out, and I think I nailed it, scored Luck in the 5th round. Barring injuries or stupidity on my part, I think I could win the championship with this squad.

WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Emmanuel Sanders, TY Hilton, Marvin Jones, Sammy Watkins

It's a PPR 10 team league, but a lot of people took QBs first round (Manning went first overall) and disregarded RBs until late. I held out, and I think I nailed it, scored Luck in the 5th round. Barring injuries or stupidity on my part, I think I could win the championship with this squad.

I think you did a great job, obviously either AJ or Julio fell to the 3rd if you got Lacey in the 1st. You have a nice top 3 at WR, I like Gerhart a lot as a featured back for Jacksonville. Pitta is criminally underrated and could be a top 5 TE. Love Luck obviously, as he's due for a breakout year. I normally don't go after a top defense because it ends up taking a depth spot, but you made it work beautifully. Clowney is solid as well. This seems like it's made up it's so good. Congrats and I'll say A+. No real Weaknesses, you should win the league if you avoid injuries, the players fit PPR very well. Only criticism is I would have avoided Trent, but if he works out, it's a huge bonus.

You should check your scoring system if people are taking QB's in the first round.  

That's a really good draft.

I do hope you plan on starting Lacy right?

Can you post the whole draft and the scoring system.  I'm curious actually to how you got such a good team.  

You are somewhat weak at RB, and are pretty much relying on Lacy. I usually try to get 3-4 good RBs, just because there's so many injuries and busts at that position. That being said, if Richardson has a good year(I think he will) and Lacy stays healthy, you'll be fine. Everything else looks great. Top 5 QB, 2 top 10 WRs barring injury, good TE. Good team overall.

I think the draft is amazing, and barring any bad luck, you should win your league.

You should check your scoring system if people are taking QB's in the first round.  

That's a really good draft.

I do hope you plan on starting Lacy right?

Can you post the whole draft and the scoring system.  I'm curious actually to how you got such a good team.  

Here's a PDF of our draft, round by round, my picks highlighted in yellow. And you're right, QBs do score crazy points, so that's why people were going after them in the first round, and also why I couldn't believe Luck was still around in the 4th.

draft-results 2.pdf

You are somewhat weak at RB, and are pretty much relying on Lacy. I usually try to get 3-4 good RBs, just because there's so many injuries and busts at that position. That being said, if Richardson has a good year(I think he will) and Lacy stays healthy, you'll be fine. Everything else looks great. Top 5 QB, 2 top 10 WRs barring injury, good TE. Good team overall.

Yeah, I knew once I picked Lacy he'd be my workhorse. I'm gonna be keeping an eye on Gerhart, Devonta Freeman, and (obviously) Trent Richardson. Hopefully they're production will either be good enough to put in the 2 spot consistently, or at least make me able to package one of them in a trade for someone better.

Here's a PDF of our draft, round by round, my picks highlighted in yellow. And you're right, QBs do score crazy points, so that's why people were going after them in the first round, and also why I couldn't believe Luck was still around in the 4th.

What kind of fantasy league is this??

Phillip Rivers was selected twice:  Round 6 pick 5 and round 11 pick 9.  Might want to point that out to the commish.

There are a lot of really really dumb picks there.  Picks that nearly everyone would call dumb.  Now there are several others that my personal bias says are also dumb, but I'll try to avoid those.  

The Beef Curtain leads your league in bad draftingI can tell you that.

Round 1 - pick 8: Matt Stafford. . . with Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers still on the board???.  DUMB!!

Round 2 - pick 5: Knowshon Moreno . . . There are people who think there is a chance he could get cut from the Dolphins.  He's hurt and he had 1 flash in the pan year with Manning at QB.

Round 3 - pick 6: Josh Gordon . . . That would be a great pick if the guy was likely to play this year.

Round 3 - pick 1: Jordy Nelson . . . With Julio Jones and Brandon Marshall still on the board.

Round 4- pick 9: Randall Cobb? . . . Maybe someone else can comment on him but I don't think he's ranked that high.  Certainly not over Cruz, Allen, White, V. Jackson, Garcon, all selected after him.

Round 9 pick 6: Tony Gonzalez. . . Would be a good pick. . . if he where not you know. . . RETIRED!!!  Not going to score any fantasy points from the TV booth.

Tom Brady, Nick Foles, and RG3 all going before Tony Romo.  Tom Brady is a better real life QB then Tony Romo no question, but Romo puts up better fantasy points. 

Several bad RB's selected before Bishop Sankey.  Including your selections of T-Rich and Gerhart.  

Do some of the people in your fantasy league not even watch football??

Seriously I don't want to rip on your friends too much but like half their picks range somewhere between "what??!!" and "Do you even pay attention to football"

The Beef Curtain taking Knowshon Moreno in round 2, Josh Gordon in round 3, and Tony Gonzalez in round 9 takes the cake. It's like he is completely unaware of everything that's happened in the off season.  

What kind of fantasy league is this??

Phillip Rivers was selected twice:  Round 6 pick 5 and round 11 pick 9.  Might want to point that out to the commish.

There are a lot of really really dumb picks there.  Picks that nearly everyone would call dumb.  Now there are several others that my personal bias says are also dumb, but I'll try to avoid those.  

The Beef Curtain leads your league in bad draftingI can tell you that.

Round 1 - pick 8: Matt Stafford. . . with Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers still on the board???.  DUMB!!

Round 2 - pick 5: Knowshon Moreno . . . There are people who think there is a chance he could get cut from the Dolphins.  He's hurt and he had 1 flash in the pan year with Manning at QB.

Round 3 - pick 6: Josh Gordon . . . That would be a great pick if the guy was likely to play this year.

Round 3 - pick 1: Jordy Nelson . . . With Julio Jones and Brandon Marshall still on the board.

Round 4- pick 9: Randall Cobb? . . . Maybe someone else can comment on him but I don't think he's ranked that high.  Certainly not over Cruz, Allen, White, V. Jackson, Garcon, all selected after him.

Round 9 pick 6: Tony Gonzalez. . . Would be a good pick. . . if he where not you know. . . RETIRED!!!  Not going to score any fantasy points from the TV booth.

Tom Brady, Nick Foles, and RG3 all going before Tony Romo.  Tom Brady is a better real life QB then Tony Romo no question, but Romo puts up better fantasy points. 

Several bad RB's selected before Bishop Sankey.  Including your selections of T-Rich and Gerhart.  

Do some of the people in your fantasy league not even watch football??

Seriously I don't want to rip on your friends too much but like half their picks range somewhere between "what??!!" and "Do you even pay attention to football"

The Beef Curtain taking Knowshon Moreno in round 2, Josh Gordon in round 3, and Tony Gonzalez in round 9 takes the cake. It's like he is completely unaware of everything that's happened in the off season.  

Hmm, now that I'm looking at that PDF, half of those picks aren't right at all. Even some of the rounds I took my players in are wrong.

It says BEEF Curtain took Forte, but she actually took Brees with her first pick. Her team is pretty decent, aside from the GIANT gamble she took on Gordon (she's hoping his appeal works out?). And she DEFINITELY didn't draft Tony Gonzalez.

I wonder why it generated the wrong picks for everyone?

Now that I'm looking at that PDF I can see why you thought I was drafting with crazy people. Let me see if I can get the ACTUAL draft...

Yeah, I knew once I picked Lacy he'd be my workhorse. I'm gonna be keeping an eye on Gerhart, Devonta Freeman, and (obviously) Trent Richardson. Hopefully they're production will either be good enough to put in the 2 spot consistently, or at least make me able to package one of them in a trade for someone better.

Freeman has some potential, especially with Steven Jackson being so old and having so many carries over his career. If he gets injured/benched, Freeman could have a big year in that offense. Freeman, TRich, and Gerhart are all risk/reward, but if just one of them works out for you and Lacy stays healthy you should be fine. Great receiving core though. Don't know how you got Jones and Green. 

Not bad, if I had one critique, you don't really have any backs that are going to get you a bunch of catches. Those backs all look like 20-30 catch guys. I'd maybe try to flip one of your receivers for a more PPR friendly back. But honestly, you'll still probably win your league regardless. 

Hmm, now that I'm looking at that PDF, half of those picks aren't right at all. Even some of the rounds I took my players in are wrong.

It says BEEF Curtain took Forte, but she actually took Brees with her first pick. Her team is pretty decent, aside from the GIANT gamble she took on Gordon (she's hoping his appeal works out?). And she DEFINITELY didn't draft Tony Gonzalez.

I wonder why it generated the wrong picks for everyone?

Now that I'm looking at that PDF I can see why you thought I was drafting with crazy people. Let me see if I can get the ACTUAL draft...

Ok that's good news.  Not to mention that Phillip Rivers was drafted twice as well.  

I will still call the Gordon pick dumb.  Even if his appeal does work he has an arrest to be suspended for and given that he has a history I don't expect him to get a slap on the wrist.  

Ok that's good news.  Not to mention that Phillip Rivers was drafted twice as well.  

I will still call the Gordon pick dumb.  Even if his appeal does work he has an arrest to be suspended for and given that he has a history I don't expect him to get a slap on the wrist.  

I agree 100%. Now here's my question: I have Charles Clay & Pitta as my TEs, while Allen & Fleener went undrafted. I'm trying not to go homer heavy and have half my roster be Colts, but should I drop one of my TEs in favor of Allen or Fleener?

I agree 100%. Now here's my question: I have Charles Clay & Pitta as my TEs, while Allen & Fleener went undrafted. I'm trying not to go homer heavy and have half my roster be Colts, but should I drop one of my TEs in favor of Allen or Fleener?

I think I would start Pitta and see how things start to go for Allen/Fleener and Clay and make that decision.

At this moment I think I'd rather have Clay then either of those two guys.  But I would re-evaluate that as time progresses.  

Neither one has been targeted too much in pre-season especially Allen.  But we will see how things go when we start playing real games.

I think I would start Pitta and see how things start to go for Allen/Fleener and Clay and make that decision.

At this moment I think I'd rather have Clay then either of those two guys.  But I would re-evaluate that as time progresses.  

Neither one has been targeted too much in pre-season especially Allen.  But we will see how things go when we start playing real games.

Took another look at my picks and realized Marvin Jones of the Bengals is out until week 5. Dropped him and picked up Allen. Now I have 3 options at TE, and I know Allen could become a hot commodity a couple weeks in if he hauls in a couple of TDs. Potential trade bait, or a valuable flex option.