Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Reggie Okay?

Smonroe

I understand that there's no need to play him in preseason games.  He and Andrew can work on their timing in practice.

But shouldn't he have played at least one series?  From what I've read, he wanted to play but the coaches are holding him out.

He isn't practicing today (nor Mewhort), which usually means they're not playing in the game (assuming they treat today like a Friday since the game is Saturday).

So, precautionary or still lingering issues?

From the outside, we don't know for sure. I am assuming he is fine, but they don't want to take any unnecessary risks. Reggie is a seasoned vet and doesn't necessarily need the preseason work. He knows the game.

On the other hand, coming off an injury like that, I would like to see him get reps in games that don't matter. Make sure that knee is ready for game speed. Make sure he and Luck have their game timing down. Practice is great and all, but the real game is a different animal.

I trust the coaches, doctors, and Reggie though.

I understand that there's no need to play him in preseason games.  He and Andrew can work on their timing in practice.

But shouldn't he have played at least one series?  From what I've read, he wanted to play but the coaches are holding him out.

He isn't practicing today (nor Mewhort), which usually means they're not playing in the game (assuming they treat today like a Friday since the game is Saturday).

So, precautionary or still lingering issues?

I think it takes 1 1/2 to 2 years after ACL surgery to make a full recovery. (for example: Edge) I hope they dont play him in a meaningless pre-season game unless he is used as a decoy only. I could be wrong though...after all...its Reggie Wayne we are talking about.

Let's be honest.... I doubt he really needs that much preseason time. He's been there done that plenty!

The only thing that could really change anything is him getting used to tackling!

PEOPLE ARE JUST REALLY EXCITED AND BECOMMING IMPATIENT TO SEE HIM OUT THERE.

Just wait until the regular season. Same for Robert Mathis!

I think the are being careful with him! No need to play him now! It buys him another month of healing to the knee. Although practice isn't a game when they were in camp Reggie from all accounts seems to be playing well! In camp scrimmages are hard to judge for say linemen but WR and CB's or Safeties are running routes at full speed therefore no holding back. I think they are playing if safe as he is so ahead of schedule so to speak!

There's no way his ACL is 100 percent recovered, not at his age.  I think it will take mid-season to see him take hits and be the possession receiver that we know he WAS, or at least 80 percent Reggie is better than 100 percent of many others.  If Luck makes another bad pass and he (Wayne) doesn't abandon, then we are back to square one, and have to wait another year and a half for recovery.  I think it will make Luck work harder to make sure he doesn't throw errant, season ending passes to a Hall-of-Famer.

Let's be honest.... I doubt he really needs that much preseason time. He's been there done that plenty!

The only thing that could really change anything is him getting used to tackling!

PEOPLE ARE JUST REALLY EXCITED AND BECOMMING IMPATIENT TO SEE HIM OUT THERE.

Just wait until the regular season. Same for Robert Mathis!

We're all excited to see him out there, I'm just trying to convince myself that it's not going to be like when Marvin came back for the playoff game. 

I haven't been to any practice, so this is just my speculation, but I doubt anyone has hit him like he's going to be hit in a real game.  He was always great at avoiding the big hit though, so maybe that's not the issue. 

I know there's no way that Reggie would sign off on it, but I'd rather have him the last 8 games than the first 8.  So if they continue to hold him out, it may be a good thing.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/19/chuck-pagano-reggie-wayne-preseason

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/7041/mewhort-practices-for-first-time-in-more-than-a-week?src=mobile&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FM0GtMGTsOR%22%7D

First one is about wayne, though it's not the one I originally read, second Link is about Mewhort and he is back at practice and will play next week at New Orleans.

Mewhort is not practicing today.

There's a lot of twitter talk about Reggie lobbying to play on Saturday.  He said something like - It's Coach Pagano's decision, but if he doesn't play, he has kids in the living room waiting to tackle him. 

He also joked Pagano has been ignoring his texts.  It's great that they have such a good relationship.

@TribStarTJames: Wayne says knee feels good. But if Pagano says no, then he'll wait until season opener at Denver. Same team he got hurt against last year.

@TribStarTJames: WR Reggie Wayne says he is ready to play Saturday night vs. the Saints. Now will Colts coach Chuck Pagano give the green light?

@TribStarTJames: Wayne says that he will not lobby to play vs. Saints. He would like to get back into a game situation. Will wait for Pagano to make call.

@TribStarTJames: Wayne says knee feels good. But if Pagano says no, then he'll wait until season opener at Denver. Same team he got hurt against last year.

@TribStarTJames: WR Reggie Wayne says he is ready to play Saturday night vs. the Saints. Now will Colts coach Chuck Pagano give the green light?

@TribStarTJames: Wayne says that he will not lobby to play vs. Saints. He would like to get back into a game situation. Will wait for Pagano to make call.

Thanks.  I'm hoping for one series.  Get him a ball at the sidelines, go out of bounds, call it a night.

We're all excited to see him out there, I'm just trying to convince myself that it's not going to be like when Marvin came back for the playoff game.

I haven't been to any practice, so this is just my speculation, but I doubt anyone has hit him like he's going to be hit in a real game. He was always great at avoiding the big hit though, so maybe that's not the issue.

I know there's no way that Reggie would sign off on it, but I'd rather have him the last 8 games than the first 8. So if they continue to hold him out, it may be a good thing.

Yeah of course we all are! We all have to get out priorities straight!

Just like you said I would rather him be complete healthy and ease into the season and have him for the last half the season/playoffs rather than the first half!

Luckily we have some WR depth this year!

If Luck makes another bad pass and he (Wayne) doesn't abandon, then we are back to square one, and have to wait another year and a half for recovery.  

This line of thinking just makes me shake my head. Every game, every practice likely, a QB in the league throws a pass that requires a WR to adjust to, even errant throws. Blaming Waynes injury on the throw is just not legit IMO. Of course Andrew feels bad he threw it, but he did not cause that injury in the least. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, and so am I. My opinion is these two events are only connected by timing, not by cause. 

To give perspective, if the injury had happened while the pass was perfectly thrown (this does happen in the NFL), would we blame the pass for that too?

This line of thinking just makes me shake my head. Every game, every practice likely, a QB in the league throws a pass that requires a WR to adjust to, even errant throws. Blaming Waynes injury on the throw is just not legit IMO. Of course Andrew feels bad he threw it, but he did not cause that injury in the least. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, and so am I. My opinion is these two events are only connected by timing, not by cause. 

To give perspective, if the injury had happened while the pass was perfectly thrown (this does happen in the NFL), would we blame the pass for that too?

Funny. If the throw had been on the money Reggie would have had the same injury huh! Hardly. It is that simple and i too shake my head.

Just like Allen. It was a typical high, late Andrew throw into coverage when there was a wide open receiver just  to Allens right. Andrew knows what he did I guarantee it.

And he will never forget it. Live and learn and endeavor to make better decisions.

Andrew is still just a fraction late, almost always High with the ball and not leading his receivers well. Makes for strips and drops when his receivers know that is how he is and the hit is coming. He has a ways to go.

There's no way his ACL is 100 percent recovered, not at his age.  I think it will take mid-season to see him take hits and be the possession receiver that we know he WAS, or at least 80 percent Reggie is better than 100 percent of many others.  If Luck makes another bad pass and he (Wayne) doesn't abandon, then we are back to square one, and have to wait another year and a half for recovery.  I think it will make Luck work harder to make sure he doesn't throw errant, season ending passes to a Hall-of-Famer.

I blame the offensive line for Bradshaw's neck injury. If they would have blocked better he would have never taken that hit.

I think it takes 1 1/2 to 2 years after ACL surgery to make a full recovery. (for example: Edge) I hope they dont play him in a meaningless pre-season game unless he is used as a decoy only. I could be wrong though...after all...its Reggie Wayne we are talking about.

I haven't been to any practice, so this is just my speculation, but I doubt anyone has hit him like he's going to be hit in a real game.  He was always great at avoiding the big hit though, so maybe that's not the issue. 

I know there's no way that Reggie would sign off on it, but I'd rather have him the last 8 games than the first 8.  So if they continue to hold him out, it may be a good thing.

I am not sure we can compare Reggie to Marvin or Edge.  Technological advancements in the field of medicine have increased so dramatically in the past 5 years that it is almost like a new world for injured athletes today.

5-10 years ago, it'd be safe to say Reggie's career would be in serious jeopardy or possibly over -- but these types of surgeries have become so advanced and so routine and rehabilitation/recovery practices have become so advanced that players can now come back from surgeries like this stronger than they were previously.  Yes, Reggie is 35 years old (36 in November), but let's not forget that he is a well-conditioned, professional athlete.  It isn't like he had been sitting on his couch or working behind a desk for the past 15 years, he has kept his body in tremendous condition and he should be able to recover from an injury a lot better  than a typical guy his age, plus he has been rehabbing like a freak (taking care of and training his body are a huge part of what he gets paid to do for a living). 

I trust Reggie when he says this is the best he has felt in years -- he was able to let the rest of his body recover from years in the NFL, so I expect him to be the same old Reggie when he steps on the field.  He also says he isn't thinking about the injury when he's playing, which is a good thing, as I think the most common way to get reinjured in a situation like this is to be too cautious or to 'favor' the injury and damage something else because of it.

He's old in football years and coming off a serious injury.

I just want to see him out there week 1 hopefully carving up Denver. And every game for the season. I doubt he may practice everyday this year anyway but then again he is a tough one to hold back.....

Yes, agree with you as far as it could have happened on a perfectly good throw.  Let me state that Luck indirectly was the cause, reduced flexibility of ligaments and tendons with age is the true cause.

Yes, agree with you as far as it could have happened on a perfectly good throw. Let me state that Luck indirectly was the cause, reduced flexibility of ligaments and tendons with age is the true cause.

His profession was the indirect cause of the injury. Dan Marino ruptured his achillies dropping back to throw a pass. Life happens

Yes, agree with you as far as it could have happened on a perfectly good throw.  Let me state that Luck indirectly was the cause, reduced flexibility of ligaments and tendons with age is the true cause.

Thanks for clarifying. I agree that 5 years ago, that same reaction by Wayne results in nothing. I also know that sometimes it could even be just a specifically wrong movement at the wrong time.

I blame Painter for playing so poorly that we had to get Luck therefore causing him to make a bad throw resulting in Reggie's injury.

They should put up a little Curtis the Painter statue right behind Peyton's at LOS, to remind future generations what he did for this franchise. Maybe an inch high for every loss, err, I mean step, he brought us closer to Luck.

We just don't know if Reggie is OK...and I'm guessing..neither does he....that's why Nicks is here.

Release The Wayne on Denver and let him run wild on their D. 

Sit back. 

Profit. 

What like Release The the Kraken or Release The Rancor in Greek Mythology or Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi?  lmao Reggie Wayne is our clutch WR juggernaut though. I agree 100% Lollygager.