Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Tony Gonzalez be Patriots TE option?

amfootball

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point Tom Brady could really use him.  I'm somewhat surprised that they don't try to bring Austin Collie back.  I mean he's a walking concussion waiting to happen but given a full training camp with the Pats he might be a weapon for them when he actually is able to play.

He only made like 6 catches last season but some of those catches where huge.  I think at least 2 of them where for first downs on 4th and long.

"I've had teams ask me to come back and play for them,'' he said. "I won't name those teams, but I'm happily retired, so I'm not even thinking about it. I'm looking forward to getting to work with these guys from CBS.''

“The temptation would be there, but I don't know what the gain would be,'' Gonzalez told Newsday. "I've always wanted a ring. That's been my main goal as a player over the last 15 years of my career. You're really trying to get that ultimate goal."

That is all Bill needs, a temptation. ;) 

At this point Tom Brady could really use him. I'm somewhat surprised that they don't try to bring Austin Collie back. I mean he's a walking concussion waiting to happen but given a full training camp with the Pats he might be a weapon for them when he actually is able to play.

He only made like 6 catches last season but some of those catches where huge. I think at least 2 of them where for first downs on 4th and long.

Why? The Patriots' WR corp is looking very good right now. I'm happy with how it looks.

Another good catching TE, on the other hand, would be great, although Secelin may be in that role at times.

Why? The Patriots' WR corp is looking very good right now. I'm happy with how it looks.

Another good catching TE, on the other hand, would be great, although Secelin may be in that role at times.

I like the WR core as well right now. We have a ton the roster and it looks like Boyce could be odd man out.

Devlin may also be another TE in the F position catching passes.

Just remember the bolded line.

Dont want you whining end of the year, how Brady didn't have "weapons".

I see no reason for him to come back.  Yeah, there's always the chance for a ring, but there are other teams that are just as good or better, and other than a ring, Gonzalez has accomplished more as a TE than anyone else before him.  I don't think anyone will ever be as good as he was, including any current TE.  Gronk's health issues will hinder any pace he might have while healthy.  Graham won't have Brees for too much longer, but just maybe if Brees is effective at the age of 40 and Graham stays healthy and plays till he's 35 or 36. 11,000 yards and 70 TDs in 8 years is a pretty tall order.

I know edelman caught 100 passes for a 1000 yards

Edelman was great. The three rookies couldn't run the right routes when not injured. Amendola ripped his groin week one and then there's Gronk.

This year the rookies or at least two of them are going to be big contributors. Amendola is looking very healthy/sharp. All signs are good with Gronk as well. The kid Tyms has been fantastic and the vet LaFell has looked very good recently. This group is miles ahead of last years corps without question. As always injuries or lack of is going to be the story. 

Posted · Hidden by -JJ-, August 21, 2014 - personal shot
Hidden by -JJ-, August 21, 2014 - personal shot

:attack:

When there is nothing, attack the poster. Thats what you guys do.

Attack? You're a torment to yourself. I'll go with stating the obvious. There is no argument.

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, August 21, 2014 - personal argument
Hidden by 21isSuperman, August 21, 2014 - personal argument

Then talk intelligently about football and not ragtime.

You have no right to say to anyone how they need to talk about a topic. You dont have to agree to people's opinion.

Talking about people's brain and making insulting comments about personality is against the board rules. You can continue that path, if you prefer and deal with the consequences.

Just remember the bolded line.

Dont want you whining end of the year, how Brady didn't have "weapons".

What whining? Brady won 12 games last year without "weapons", played the best situational football of any QB with 5 fourth quarter comeback wins, and made it to the conf. championship game by thrashing the Colts along the way. If anything, you better hope this receiving corp is worse than last year.

What whining? Brady won 12 games last year without "weapons", played the best situational football of any QB with 5 fourth quarter comeback wins, and made it to the conf. championship game by thrashing the Colts along the way. If anything, you better hope this receiving corp is worse than last year.

I actually want the best players to play for your team this year.

So there is no more excuses.

I actually want the best players to play for your team this year.

So there is no more excuses.

Again, what excuses? No Pats fan expected FF numbers from Brady last year just wins - which he always delivers and did in spades last year. I expect the same this year - wins.

Again, what excuses? No Pats fan expected FF numbers from Brady last year just wins - which he always delivers and did in spades last year. I expect the same this year - wins.

I know you read all the posts here and you know this lack of weapons as an excuse was mentioned several times.

Like I said before, I prefer either Colts or Broncos to play Pats in Foxboro. This will end the sunny weather and dome stadiums excuses.

I know you read all the posts here and you know this lack of weapons as an excuse was mentioned several times.

Like I said before, I prefer either Colts or Broncos to play Pats in Foxboro. This will end the sunny weather and dome stadiums excuses.

Again, excuse for what? The Pats went 12-4 with Brady leading the charge with five fourth quarter comeback wins and a deep playoff run into the conference championship game.

As a Colts fan, you should be rooting for BOTH the Pats and Broncos to lose that way the Colts have an easier path to the SB. Especially the Pats given the Colts almost never beat them.

Again, what did this supposed lack of weapons exactly cause? All that was down was Brady's volume stats as expected. Like I said, not Pats fans was expecting FF numbers from Brady/Pats last year. Just wins which they delivered in spades.

What did it cause- according to your fellow fans, it cost them the AFCCG.

I see no reason for him to come back.  Yeah, there's always the chance for a ring, but there are other teams that are just as good or better, and other than a ring, Gonzalez has accomplished more as a TE than anyone else before him.  I don't think anyone will ever be as good as he was, including any current TE.  Gronk's health issues will hinder any pace he might have while healthy.  Graham won't have Brees for too much longer, but just maybe if Brees is effective at the age of 40 and Graham stays healthy and plays till he's 35 or 36. 11,000 yards and 70 TDs in 8 years is a pretty tall order.

With you on this one. 

I'm sure, at this time of year, any recently-retired player is fighting the itch to get out there and play. It's got to be tough for someone who was in the league as long as Tony G. Mad respect for that guy for his longevity and for really impacting the TE position's role in offenses. Plus he was always, at the very least, an adequate blocker, unlike a lot of his contemporaries who were more receiving-type TEs. 

If he does come back, I would be happy to see him do it in New England. It's probably a long shot but you never know. 

As a Colts fan, you should be rooting for BOTH the Pats and Broncos to lose that way the Colts have an easier path to the SB. Especially the Pats given the Colts almost never beat them.

Colts have a good chance to beat both Broncos and Pats this year. Andrew Luck will score 30 points a game with the WRs he has.

What did it cause- according to your fellow fans, it cost them the AFCCG.

It did? Most if not all Pats fans agree Denver was the better team. This year should be a lot different not because of the Pats O but because of the improvements on D. What swung the AFCCG IMO was Talib going down and the Denver having its way to the tune of 35 minutes ToP. For sure it may have helped to have Gronk out there but they were not winning once Talib exited.

With you on this one.

I'm sure, at this time of year, any recently-retired player is fighting the itch to get out there and play. It's got to be tough for someone who was in the league as long as Tony G. Mad respect for that guy for his longevity and for really impacting the TE position's role in offenses. Plus he was always, at the very least, an adequate blocker, unlike a lot of his contemporaries who were more receiving-type TEs.

If he does come back, I would be happy to see him do it in New England. It's probably a long shot but you never know.

Gronk and Gonzalez in tandem.

Colts have a good chance to beat both Broncos and Pats this year. Andrew Luck will score 30 points a game with the WRs he has.

I sure hope you are right but with the defensive additions both the Broncos and Patriots made, we will be fortunate to score 20.We have to hope our D can at least slow their offenses and the O takes advantage of every op to score or else both games will get ugly fast.

It did? Most if not all Pats fans agree Denver was the better team. This year should be a lot different not because of the Pats O but because of the improvements on D. What swung the AFCCG IMO was Talib going down and the Denver having its way to the tune of 35 minutes ToP. For sure it may have helped to have Gronk out there but they were not winning once Talib exited.

The points really don't give justice to the game. Denver played cautiously not aggressive and after 3rd quarter they went to kill the time mode. They could have scored more.

Injuries were part of the game and both teams lost several key players.

I really want both teams healthy when they meet this year. Don't want to hear anything about "weapons" or "injuries".