Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts Consider Richie Incognito?

masterlock

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a thread last Friday (I think), another poster asked the same question and I flat-out wanted no part of Incognito...at all. Now however, after these injuries...we might need him. I don't like it, but if he can help the team...I'd take a look at him. He'd have to be kept on a VERY short leash.

Well, the question was kind of in response to others who have suggested that the only lineman on the market aren't talented. In Incognito's case, I think character is the issue. If they can get him for the league minimum, and he is ready to turn over a new leaf, then it seems like a steal.

Well, the question was kind of in response to others who have suggested that the only lineman on the market aren't talented. In Incognito's case, I think character is the issue. If they can get him for the league minimum, and he is ready to turn over a new leaf, then it seems like a steal.

They talked about Incognito on JMV earlier and one issue that came up was how the former Stanford players would react to having him in the locker room. Jonathan Martin was a Stanford guy. Other issues were media attention and fan reaction. It's a sticky situation...but we need help. I wouldn't be surprised if Grigs has already talked to him.

Yes, I would give it a try.  See what he has left and if he can keep mentally focused.  I would always judge a player with my own two eyes.

if the media tries to make more of it...tries to judge the Colts as a "bullying-insensitive" team just because they give him a chance.....I'd be prepared with finger ready to flip. 

He's not good enough to be worth the headache and media attention.

Concerns over media attention should never take precedent when building a team for a championship run. These issues are almost always far more distracting for the fans than the players, coaches or the organization. 

He's been kicked off every team he's been on since high school. What makes you believe he wouldn't have issues here too?

Even the hardest of men can be humbled, and if what he went through didn't humble him, nothing will. We're trying to win a Super Bowl. If he were to commit, he'd be held to it. 

I get the feeling that most people's objections come from not wanting to hear the noise while watching ESPN. Let us hope that our team has enough constitution to withstand the pressures of Stephan A Smith. 

Someone over at Yardbarker suggested that the Colts should bring in Richie Incognito. I'm wondering whether this might not be a bad idea. Thoughts?

Source:

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/colts_should_bring_in_richie_incognito/17001839?linksrc=story_team_indianapolis_colts_auto_module_head_17001839

given the o-line we are putting in to protect luck,imo he is better than any on our line. upgrade our line, a no brainer, yes

No.  Luck and Fleener are pals of Jonathan Martin, who protected Luck's blind side for 3 yrs at Stanford.  Fleener was very vocal in support of Martin, I'd think they'd veto any such move.

Best point anyone has made yet. 

That could be problematic. But I would hope that Fleener and Luck would be professional enough to find amends or to otherwise come to grips with RI's redeeming factors. 

No.  Luck and Fleener are pals of Jonathan Martin, who protected Luck's blind side for 3 yrs at Stanford.  Fleener was very vocal in support of Martin, I'd think they'd veto any such move.

luck is not in the college pals business now, this is the nfl where talent that helps you win speaks for itself , talent = money for the team

Interesting angle, but I don't think the issue was so much about Martin vs. Incognito. That's the way it seemed at first, but as more info came out, it seemed like there was more to it than that. 

As for Luck, Fleener and Whalen (who you didn't mention, but I think he's gonna make the roster at this point), I think they would be about playing football. And anyone who can help the team, especially on offense, they'd fall in line.

I'm not an advocate for this idea. I'm very much torn on it. But I don't think the Stanford guys would be an issue.

Best point anyone has made yet. 

That could be problematic. But I would hope that Fleener and Luck would be professional enough to find amends or to otherwise come to grips with RI's redeeming factors. 

Although Luck could could use his influence to block the move, I agree with ruksak I think both Luck and Fleener would be professionals about it.  It might be a bigger deal if either played OL, but they dont and I think the OL and the locker room has enough leadership that Incognito would quickly be put in his place if he stepped out of line.

Although Luck could could use his influence to block the move, I agree with ruksak I think both Luck and Fleener would be professionals about it.  It might be a bigger deal if either played OL, but they dont and I think the OL and the locker room has enough leadership that Incognito would quickly be put in his place if he stepped out of line.

There in is the problem. No one should have to put him in his place, but that is what members of every team he has been a part of has had to do. It would be a huge mistake... and I hope the team is stupid enough to pull off. 

There in is the problem. No one should have to put him in his place, but that is what members of every team he has been a part of has had to do. It would be a huge mistake... and I hope the team is stupid enough to pull off. 

Him getting out of line was an "if" (a big IF IMO) ... I think he has been humbled, and even he is smart enough to know that his career is in danger and this would be his last chance.  I think he would be on his best behavior and would not cause any problems especially in a "prove it season".  The issue would have to be considered more seriously next year if the Colts were going to consider a longer contract, but for this year he is worth consideration.

I think the vast majority of players in the NFL would rather have Incognito as a teammate over Martin. Incognito is a *, no doubt. But after those text messages from Martin came up that really spread doubt on his story. And while burning down his stay with the Dolphins he outted 2 other fellow linemen as thugs and bad people too.

Having said that, we signed "time to die b@tch" Rainey and "stick em' up" Richardson, TWICE! So signing him wouldn't be worse, just less PC..

Him getting out of line was an "if" (a big IF IMO) ... I think he has been humbled, and even he is smart enough to know that his career is in danger and this would be his last chance.  I think he would be on his best behavior and would not cause any problems especially in a "prove it season".  The issue would have to be considered more seriously next year if the Colts were going to consider a longer contract, but for this year he is worth consideration.

They always get better when the career is on the line. Mr. Notsoincognito has proven he can't get along with anyone in college, or the pros.

Concerns over media attention should never take precedent when building a team for a championship run. These issues are almost always far more distracting for the fans than the players, coaches or the organization.

He still isn't as good as people proclaim him to be.