Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't retire #88

BProland85

I don't believe it has been, and I don't see why they would retire #88 for Marvin. I know he was a great WR, but numbers generally don't get retired unless you were "the guy" for that franchise like a Peyton Manning or John Elway.

I for one would like to see Nicks go back to 88 if he is retained next year.

All of the receivers are wearing teen numbers now. The nfl will run out of numbers, need to ban retiring numbers league wide

Nonsense.  Teams can decide how to handle this.  There is absolutely no need for league involvement on an incredibly minor issue - actually it is not even an issue.

if we resign nicks to like a 4-5 year contract, then I can see him changing his number. to give marv's number to someone who may only be here one year is kinda disheartening. how would everyone had felt if DHB was wearing 88 

I don't believe it has been, and I don't see why they would retire #88 for Marvin. I know he was a great WR, but numbers generally don't get retired unless you were "the guy" for that franchise like a Peyton Manning or John Elway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_retired_numbers

Sorry, numbers are retired for more than "the guy" by individual franchises. Without going into details, the above is a list. Your reasoning is absolutely absurd to save a jersey number for a guy who may or may not be with the Colts as opposed to actually retiring it for a guy who gave us an enormously productive stretch at the WR position for this franchise. It makes no sense. Someday, I would want #87 retired for Wayne too.

They offered #88 to my guy but he took #17 instead because he "wasn't about to take Marvin Harrison's number". I think it depends on the player. #88 is unofficially retired until some player feels he can do that number justice. Some won't take that number out of respect I suppose

All of the receivers are wearing teen numbers now. The nfl will run out of numbers, need to ban retiring numbers league wide

The Colts have retired 6 numbers in their 60+ years of history so far. Cca. a number per decade. If they keep this pace, Irsays grand-grand-grand-grand.....-grand son might have some problems in distant future, but the Colts will be fine for a few centuries at least.  :)

Having your number retired should be for the elite of the elite.  It should be for player that transcends the games and always represented the franchise and city with class and dignity.  Marvin Harrison should be eliminated for the sheer fact that he has been associated with a murder investigation.  Not only that, while he should be considered a hall of fame player, he is not deserving of having his number retired for his on the field performance either.  

Having your number retired should be for the elite of the elite. It should be for player that transcends the games and always represented the franchise and city with class and dignity. Marvin Harrison should be eliminated for the sheer fact that he has been associated with a murder investigation. Not only that, while he should be considered a hall of fame player, he is not deserving of having his number retired for his on the field performance either.

Complete nonsense. Harrison is a top five wr all time using any method of measure.

Also, being involved in an investigation isn't a conviction.

They offered #88 to my guy but he took #17 instead because he "wasn't about to take Marvin Harrison's number". I think it depends on the player. #88 is unofficially retired until some player feels he can do that number justice. Some won't take that number out of respect I suppose

I think this is true.   Maybe due to respect,  maybe due to the fact that they wouldn't want to constantly be compared to the one that wore that number...  :dunno:

I also agree with others, that there are other ways of paying tributes without having to retire the #.    Having said that,  Marvin will always be one of the Greatest to have ever worn the #88.     Man I loved watching him play. 

It will be. Need to do like Dallas, honor individual players w/o retiring numbers.

Good grief. It will not be an issue - they will not run out of numbers. Teams will do exactly what Dallas does or the Colts and honor them some other way (Ring of Honor). The notion that there needs to be a league ban against retiring # is is just flat silly.

88 is Marvin's number and I doubt any Colt will ever wear it again. It possible that Irsay is just waiting for Marvin to be inducted into the hall before he makes it official. 

If it's not officially retired they are clearly not handing it out as no one has worn it since Marvin left. 

I disagree with the idea that a player has to be to the level of Peyton Manning for his number to be retired or the only two players who would have had their numbers retired by the Colts would have been Peyton and Johnny U.  If you look at the Colts history of retiring numbers they have retired more numbers than that and still honor those numbers.  One of those whose number was retired was Raymond Berry (and rightfully so I might add) Marvin was very much to Peyton was Berry was to Johnny U and Marvin has surpassed Berry's Hall of Fame numbers and franchise records and could be argued to be one of the five best WRs in NFL history.  I would have no issue with the Colts retiring his number. 

I don't think just anyone should have their number retired though.  For me if you are a Hall of Fame level player then you should have your number retired and I do think Marvin is going to be in the hall sooner rather than later.  I think guys who meant a lot to the franchise but might not be Hall of Fame level should get the Ring of Honor treatment. 

that didn't happen

Many years ago the NFL all but told teams they could not retire numbers (fear of numbers actually running out). John Mackey's #88 should have been retired long ago, but he was the President of the NFLPA during the '70 strike and Colts ownership, at the time, held that against him. On a separate note, although it's a mute point, I think Marvin deserves #88 to be retired, but it won't happen.

Manning and Harrison put the INDIANAPOLIS Colts back on the map. The prior years were mostly dreadful (save for the Harbaugh '95 team). My opinion is that Peyton's 18 and Marvin's 88 should both be retired. They are Hall of Fame players and, together, took the punch-line element out of Indianapolis Colts football. 

My grandfather fought in the trenches in WW1, he was shot at by IRA snipers, his street was bombed by the Germans in WW2, and he survived many years of the Lucille Ball show in the 60's. He retired. Stop this pathetic ritual of retiring stupid football jersey numbers. It's just silly.

Many years ago the NFL all but told teams they could not retire numbers (fear of numbers actually running out). John Mackey's #88 should have been retired long ago, but he was the President of the NFLPA during the '70 strike and Colts ownership, at the time, held that against him. On a separate note, although it's a mute point, I think Marvin deserves #88 to be retired, but it won't happen.

the packers are getting ready to annouce they are retiring number 4. Irsay has said 18 is unofficially (and I am sure will be made official) 18 is retired here. Other teams have retired several numbers in recent years. So I don't think there is any kind of ban on retiring numbers it's just reserved for the elite of the elite for most teams.

I wll say this other than Peyton no Indianapolis Colt deserves it more than Marvin. As a fanbase as a whole I think we have kinda forgotten just how good he was. He's top five all time if not top three at his position in league history and you could argue is the third best Colt of all time behind Manning and Johnny U.

Mackey should have had it retired for him before Marvin got it but that's not Marvin's fault. I think they should retire it for both men. Bring Mackey's family in along with Marvin and do it.

I love Harrison, Wayne, Manning, etc etc, but I thought getting inducted to the Ring of Honor would be enough.....? 

If you keep retiring jerseys you'll eventually run out of numbers.

we've retired seven numbers eight if you count Peyton's. We aren't in any danger of running out of numbers.

the packers are getting ready to annouce they are retiring number 4. Irsay has said 18 is unofficially (and I am sure will be made official) 18 is retired here. Other teams have retired several numbers in recent years. So I don't think there is any kind of ban on retiring numbers it's just reserved for the elite of the elite for most teams.

I wll say this other than Peyton no Indianapolis Colt deserves it more than Marvin. As a fanbase as a whole I think we have kinda forgotten just how good he was. He's top five all time if not top three at his position in league history and you could argue is the third best Colt of all time behind Manning and Johnny U.

Mackey should have had it retired for him before Marvin got it but that's not Marvin's fault. I think they should retire it for both men. Bring Mackey's family in along with Marvin and do it.

Edgerrin also deserves to be on that list, He is only 33 yards behind Faulk of being on the all time rushing list and is the Colts all time leading rusher

Position for position, arguably MH deserves it more than Peyton. The whole retiring numbers thing is just wrong anyway. There are better ways to remember the greats.

Why would Marvin deserve it more than Peyton?  I think both deserve it but Indy would not be where they are as a franchise if it weren't  for Peyton  He built it and deserves the respect for what he has done.

Why would Marvin deserve it more than Peyton?  I think both deserve it but Indy would not be where they are as a franchise if it weren't  for Peyton  He built it and deserves the respect for what he has done.

He helped build it for sure, but so did many others. Like Marvin.