Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign RB Phillip Tanner and LB Jonathan Sharpe

HtownColt

Sharpe was with the Seahawks in the offseason. Smaller guy, but athletic. Special teamer, at best. I don't know anything about Tanner.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71737&draftyear=2013&genpos=OLB

http://greertoday.com/greer-sc/sharpe-ngu-linebacker-signs-free-agent-deal-with-seahawks/2013/04/29/

5 11 217? you cant play LBer at that size. hes better off playing safety

Sharpe was with the Seahawks in the offseason. Smaller guy, but athletic. Special teamer, at best. I don't know anything about Tanner.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71737&draftyear=2013&genpos=OLB

http://greertoday.com/greer-sc/sharpe-ngu-linebacker-signs-free-agent-deal-with-seahawks/2013/04/29/

He was with the Cowboys for like 2-3 years, pretty good preseason player, made his money on Special teams

5 11 217? you cant play LBer at that size. hes better off playing safety

He's not athletic enough to play safety. I haven't watched him play, maybe he has coverage ability and could be a hybrid LB/S. But I think he's just a special teams body for camp. If he even makes it to the first preseason game, I doubt he actually plays any defensive snaps.

Edit: If I were the coach/GM, I'd constantly churn my bottom three or four guys during camp. First, it creates an uneasy feeling with players, reinforcing that you have to bring it every day in practice. Second, you can basically use those last roster spots as additional scouting. And during the season, if you need someone, you have a list of guys that you're already familiar with and can call them up. Lastly, you might just find a true gem. The more players you see up close, the greater your odds of uncovering a potentially special player.

He's not athletic enough to play safety. I haven't watched him play, maybe he has coverage ability and could be a hybrid LB/S. But I think he's just a special teams body for camp. If he even makes it to the first preseason game, I doubt he actually plays any defensive snaps.

Edit: If I were the coach/GM, I'd constantly churn my bottom three or four guys during camp. First, it creates an uneasy feeling with players, reinforcing that you have to bring it every day in practice. Second, you can basically use those last roster spots as additional scouting. And during the season, if you need someone, you have a list of guys that you're already familiar with and can call them up. Lastly, you might just find a true gem. The more players you see up close, the greater your odds of uncovering a potentially special player.

And lastly, lastly, you keep our soft tissue crew from injuring themselves.

I've heard of both. Tanner is injury prone and Sharpe is better at safety than linebacker.

Tanner should fit right in then. I don't remember him being horrible with Dallas but he isn't making our roster or at least I would be surprised.

on a unrelated note, anyone know who matt hall is? hes huge. 6 9 326. 

Matthew Hall, rookie Offensive Tackle.  Hall is an interesting story.  The Russellville, AR native redshirted for the Arkansas Razorbacks in 2008 before playing 11 games at guard the next season.  When asked why he wanted to go to Arkansas, he said “I wanted to play for Houston Nutt.”  Nutt recruited him, but was fired at the end of the 2008 season.  By the end of 2009, Hall and Bobby Petrino (the new Razorbacks coach) had been butting heads, and Hall decided to leave.

Hall transferred to Ole Miss, where Houston Nutt was now the coach.  He sat out the 2010 season, but started every game at guard for the Rebels in 2011.  But, at the end of that season, Nutt was fired and Hall ran into several issues with the law including DUI, domestic violence, and assault (all these stemming from one incident).  He was let go from the team and transferred to Belhaven University (an NAIA school).  According to reports, Hall kept his nose clean during those two years and overwhelmed the competition.  He also says he learned from his mistakes.

At Belhaven, Hall played right tackle, and most draft experts projected him to remain at that position if he caught on in the NFL.  However, he has experience at guard as well.  Prior to the draft, NFL.com said this about him:

----

Strengths—Rare body length and overall size. Runs his legs on contact and overwhelms lesser competition. Displays a mean streak and seeks to finish blocks. Physical football-playing temperament. Bench-pressed 225 pounds 32 times at his pro day.

Weaknesses—Very thinly built, tends to play tall and could be challenged by the speed of NFL rushers. Raw technician – needs to learn how to replace his hands, bend from his knees and play angles. Footwork is not clean and stunts and games get on top of him too quickly (green eyes). Has limitations in space and struggles initiating contact on the second level. One-position player.

Draft Projection—Round 7 or priority free agent

Bottom Line—Long-limbed, thin-bodied, developmental right tackle only. Lacks the agility for the left side and the core, anchor strength desired to kick inside. Has physical traits for a patient OL coach to develop. Long-term project with limited versatility that could make it difficult to readily earn a roster spot.

----

Hall was undrafted due to the red flags mentioned above, but quickly signed on with the Minnesota Vikings.  He was released three days ago.  He faces quite an uphill battle to secure a spot on the roster, and is most likely practice squad material if he sticks at all.

Oh, and for what it’s worth, he plays the fiddle.

(note: copy/pasted from ColtsCamp.com)

Matthew Hall, rookie Offensive Tackle.  Hall is an interesting story.  The Russellville, AR native redshirted for the Arkansas Razorbacks in 2008 before playing 11 games at guard the next season.  When asked why he wanted to go to Arkansas, he said “I wanted to play for Houston Nutt.”  Nutt recruited him, but was fired at the end of the 2008 season.  By the end of 2009, Hall and Bobby Petrino (the new Razorbacks coach) had been butting heads, and Hall decided to leave.

Hall transferred to Ole Miss, where Houston Nutt was now the coach.  He sat out the 2010 season, but started every game at guard for the Rebels in 2011.  But, at the end of that season, Nutt was fired and Hall ran into several issues with the law including DUI, domestic violence, and assault (all these stemming from one incident).  He was let go from the team and transferred to Belhaven University (an NAIA school).  According to reports, Hall kept his nose clean during those two years and overwhelmed the competition.  He also says he learned from his mistakes.

At Belhaven, Hall played right tackle, and most draft experts projected him to remain at that position if he caught on in the NFL.  However, he has experience at guard as well.  Prior to the draft, NFL.com said this about him:

----

Strengths—Rare body length and overall size. Runs his legs on contact and overwhelms lesser competition. Displays a mean streak and seeks to finish blocks. Physical football-playing temperament. Bench-pressed 225 pounds 32 times at his pro day.

Weaknesses—Very thinly built, tends to play tall and could be challenged by the speed of NFL rushers. Raw technician – needs to learn how to replace his hands, bend from his knees and play angles. Footwork is not clean and stunts and games get on top of him too quickly (green eyes). Has limitations in space and struggles initiating contact on the second level. One-position player.

Draft Projection—Round 7 or priority free agent

Bottom Line—Long-limbed, thin-bodied, developmental right tackle only. Lacks the agility for the left side and the core, anchor strength desired to kick inside. Has physical traits for a patient OL coach to develop. Long-term project with limited versatility that could make it difficult to readily earn a roster spot.

----

Hall was undrafted due to the red flags mentioned above, but quickly signed on with the Minnesota Vikings.  He was released three days ago.  He faces quite an uphill battle to secure a spot on the roster, and is most likely practice squad material if he sticks at all.

Oh, and for what it’s worth, he plays the fiddle.

(note: copy/pasted from ColtsCamp.com)

The Nutt Connection would explain the 3 schools

I actually like both of these signings, If healthy Tanner is explosive, Is solid with tackle breaking, can catch out of the backfield, Can return Punts and Kick offs(Hopefully he shows these things in camp) and Sharpe has a real chance I think to crack Special Teams, I love the passion this kid plays with, He is relentless in pursuit

I was a big backer of Ballard but he is now dead to me after two non-contact injuries. I just hope

Herron or Tipton can shine in his absence. With Bradshaw being injury prone and T-Rich's season

last year, I'm a bit afraid of how the RB rotation will look midway through the season. :omg:

Not so sure how he can be dead too you after two injuries that werent his fault. You sound a little tough on him like he meant too do it.

Not so sure how he can be dead too you after two injuries that werent his fault. You sound a little tough on him like he meant too do it.

2 injuries that were no ones fault. 2 non-contact injuries, doesn't bode well for Ballard in the future

this isnt the tampa 2 defense anymore

Why does that matter? That wasn't your point. I'm giving you an example of a guy that size who did play, and start, in the NFL at LB.

Besides, we also ran the Tampa 2 with Marcus Washington, Mike Peterson, and David Thornton. Cato's size had no correlation to the defense the Colts played.

It's not his fault and it sux he is out for the second year in a row but I just don't have patience for

guys who are constantly hurt and not on the field for the team.

I highly doubt he is back next year and can't blame the brass if that is the case.

Don't see him back either, too easy to replace RB's in the game style today. And with next year's draft being deep at RB, I expect us to draft one if Boom & Tipton don't work out

Don't see him back either, too easy to replace RB's in the game style today. And with next year's draft being deep at RB, I expect us to draft one if Boom & Tipton don't work out

This will most likely be the case if Bradshaw goes down with his injury history and T-Rich mirrors his

2013 season.