Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Starting Oline Set

IndyD4U

According to Indystar the starting O-line is Costonzo, Thomas, Holmes, Thornton, Cherilus. With Mewhort working multiple positions. Initially I said it would be disappointing in Mewhort didn't start, but having quality depth is really unimaginable for me.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/07/28/versatility-key-word-colts-offensive-line/13291051/

I think we're much better off than we were last year. I doubt we keep a true backup at center and if something should happen to Holmes, either Mewhort or Thomas could slide over to center and that's still much more desirable than last year.

:agree:

:scoregood:

Pagano was on ESPN yesterday with Jeff Saturday and was bragging on all of the interior linemen.  He seemed to really like Harrison and Louis, and said Mewhort was doing a good job.  Most likely Thomas and Holmes start.  Not sure about the other G yet.

If anything, I don't think they'll be much of a drop off is someone gets hurt.

Pagano was on ESPN yesterday with Jeff Saturday and was bragging on all of the interior linemen.  He seemed to really like Harrison and Louis, and said Mewhort was doing a good job.  Most likely Thomas and Holmes start.  Not sure about the other G yet.

And.....there is no mention of Reitz and Nixon here.  We have pretty darned good depth. :thmup:

Thornton will be the starter at RG.

And.....there is no mention of Reitz and Nixon here.  We have pretty darned good depth. :thmup:

Agreed now its time to start building chemistry . Mewhort was a great pic because has the physical talent as well as the smarts to play anywhere on that line ,including Center. Maybe hes more valuable not starting ? Oh yes almost forgot ,what a great dilemma  to have = depth  lol.

I think he was specifically talking about the interior line.  I'm pretty sure Reitz and Nixon will make the team as backup OTs.  Like you said, very good depth.

since the new regime has taken over, have they ever bragged about the interior line until now?

just imagine how good this offense can be if the interior OL is even just "average"

I think he was specifically talking about the interior line.  I'm pretty sure Reitz and Nixon will make the team as backup OTs.  Like you said, very good depth.

Yet Reitz and Nixon BOTH played LG and RG respectively last year.  Reitz is better at guard than tackle too.  We have not seen Nixon at tackle.

I think we're much better off than we were last year. I doubt we keep a true backup at center and if something should happen to Holmes, either Mewhort or Thomas could slide over to center and that's still much more desirable than last year.

If something happened to Homles we would most likely call up Jonathan Harrison from the practice squad if that is where he ends up

According to Indystar the starting O-line is Costonzo, Thomas, Holmes, Thornton, Cherilus. With Mewhort working multiple positions. Initially I said it would be disappointing in Mewhort didn't start, but having quality depth is really unimaginable for me.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/07/28/versatility-key-word-colts-offensive-line/13291051/

Are they sure that starting O-line is already the set as the starters for week 1?  

Because if a week into camp they have already decided all 5 starters on the line it wouldn't be terribly in keeping with the idea of open competition.  

Also with as many question marks as there are on the interior of the line, I find it almost disturbing that there isn't an open competition there.

Put Mewhort where Thomas is and I agree

Although he's active at the moment, don't see Thomas at 100% opening day @ Denver

What why? i like Mewhort but you havent seen a thing from Mewhort and you think he is better already?

besides, i know he only played like 2 games but Thomas was probably our best OL those 2 games.

Costonzo, Thomas, Holmes, Thornton, Cherilus

No surprises there. 

Hopefully Holmes knocks it out of the park, and I like Mewhort, but hopefully we don't end up needing him....yet. 

Well you always need good back ups to spell the others , in case our offense spends to much time on the field Lol

Agreed now its time to start building chemistry . Mewhort was a great pic because has the physical talent as well as the smarts to play anywhere on that line ,including Center. Maybe hes more valuable not starting ? Oh yes almost forgot ,what a great dilemma  to have = depth  lol.

That is a great point.  Lets get him learning the system from every line position.  We need that version of Basketball's 6th man.  :)

I think we have a better version of Link here although his techniques seem oddly enough like Link's.  I feel he is more athletic.  Being a rookie is not easy....Holmes is also a rookie in terms of playing.

Are they sure that starting O-line is already the set as the starters for week 1?  

Because if a week into camp they have already decided all 5 starters on the line it wouldn't be terribly in keeping with the idea of open competition.  

Also with as many question marks as there are on the interior of the line, I find it almost disturbing that there isn't an open competition there.

They need to put together the depth chart.  I think that is the reason for stating the so-called starters.

Costonzo, Thomas, Holmes, Thornton, Cherilus

No surprises there. 

Hopefully Holmes knocks it out of the park, and I like Mewhort, but hopefully we don't end up needing him....yet. 

I liked Holmes getting into a little skirmish the first day in pads....love it. :thmup:

Pagano was on ESPN yesterday with Jeff Saturday and was bragging on all of the interior linemen. He seemed to really like Harrison and Louis, and said Mewhort was doing a good job. Most likely Thomas and Holmes start. Not sure about the other G yet.

Pagano raving about his new/unproven players?

Doesn't he do that all the time?

T-rich being a bowling ball of butcher knives, rainey doing anything and everything?

I'm not taking anything pagano says seriously anymore...

T-rich being a bowling ball of butcher knives, rainey doing anything and everything?

Hmm are you a Patriots fan ? :spit:

He then went on to say all Croation Colts fans are geniuses.

So, you're probably right...

You sir just crossed the line of good taste.. i'm reporting you to the admins for personal insults.

Heck the Patriots are good :)  That is not an insult...now if Jay called you a Jacksonville fan or a Brown fan?

Pagano will never say Trent Richardson is "so dumb" he cannot remember the plays.

Pagano will never say Manusky's game plan was "the stupidest thing ever.'

Pagano knows how to keep his team fired up.  So glad to see players that support each other even though they may not make the cut.

Pagan makes the team a family...I kind of like that players want to play here :)

Heck the Patriots are good :)  That is not an insult...now if Jay called you a Jacksonville fan or a Brown fan?

Pagano will never say Trent Richardson is "so dumb" he cannot remember the plays.

Pagano will never say Manusky's game plan was "the stupidest thing ever.'

Pagano knows how to keep his team fired up.  So glad to see players that support each other even though they may not make the cut.

Pagan makes the team a family...I kind of like that players want to play here :)

the patriots are good, unfortunately every colts fan knows that, but calling a colts fan a pats fan is a jab, isn't it?

me being a pacifist, i tried to end this possible conflict with an effort on humorous/overreacting reply, which obviously failed because i didn't put a smiley-face at the end..

i know pagano will never say anything bad about his players/staff, and that was my point exactly, he says things he has to say, he even goes overboard sometimes.. so i'm not getting my hopes up (on o-line play) based on something he said..

hope this clarifies my original comment on this subject..

p.s. thanks for trying to ease the animosity here..

the patriots are good, unfortunately every colts fan knows that, but calling a colts fan a pats fan is a jab, isn't it?

me being a pacifist, i tried to end this possible conflict with an effort on humorous/overreacting reply, which obviously failed because i didn't put a smiley-face at the end..

i know pagano will never say anything bad about his players/staff, and that was my point exactly, he says things he has to say, he even goes overboard sometimes.. so i'm not getting my hopes up (on o-line play) based on something he said..

Lol no animosity on my part.

No problem.  I like to lighten the mood some.  I used to never lighten the mood...:)  It is fun now although I do like a good debate.  :)

What why? i like Mewhort but you havent seen a thing from Mewhort and you think he is better already?

besides, i know he only played like 2 games but Thomas was probably our best OL those 2 games.

........ There's nothing in my post that said I believe Mewhort is better. I said I don't believe Thomas will be completely HEALTHY therefore Mewhort should get the nod so we're not rushing Thomas back

the o-line scares me. we have no super stars. casto average, has trouble with speed rushers, Thomas hurt? holmes, untried, thornton, average, cherilus best of the bunch above average. this is on pass blocking. run blocking, history is not good. I tell it like it is, I am a colts fan and hope for better, mewhort ? hard for a draft pick to stand out in the first year. look out luck. only hope is two tight end sets , and passing to the rb. I don't like to be negative, but our o-line scares me