Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking back on the Jerry Hughes trade

BProland85

Would you go back and not do the trade for Kelvin Sheppard? I sure wouldn't, given that we are more deficient at pass rush at OLB than at ILB. Sheppard hasn't proven anything in my eyes, and having Hughes would give us 3 decent options at pass rush with Mathis, Werner, and Hughes.

I WOULD! Maybe not trade him for Sheppard though, but that's saying it after he had a good year.

He wasn't ever going to work out here.. He never felt comfortable here and he basically said he never felt a part of the team and didn't enjoy his time in Indy. He needed to be moved.

Can't just say since he had a good season in Buffalo that he would have done the same here. And Sheppard isn't awful.. Good depth player

I dont get the point of bringing it up over and over via in new threads or in threads that have nothing to do with him or trades at all, It was clearly a bad trade, It was before he broke out with double digit sacks BUT whats done is done, For whatever reason coaching staff did not think it was a good idea to keep him around either cause of what they viewed as lack of production since the new regime has been here or possibly something more behind the scenes, Maybe he had attitude or work ethic issues, He was clearly raw coming in but the raw physical talent was easy to see on film, He had one of the quickest first steps I have ever seen on film, He lacked strength, With all that said he is gone now (and so will Sheppard be soon so it will all be a moot point)

This again the guy has 15 career sacks in 4 years only 5 in his 3 yrs here maybe he needed a change of scenery or a different scheme. It has worked great for Hughes so far I am happy for him he can freeze in Buffalo and never sniff the big game. We didn't trade away Lawrence Taylor time to move on.

Would you go back and not do the trade for Kelvin Sheppard? I sure wouldn't, given that we are more deficient at pass rush at OLB than at ILB. Sheppard hasn't proven anything in my eyes, and having Hughes would give us 3 decent options at pass rush with Mathis, Werner, and Hughes.

Hughes wasn't a decent pass rusher here and Werner isn't yet I think that would leave us with Mathis for 12 games right where we are now.

Its just like Tim Jennings..people crucified him here for his play, he goes to the Bears and becomes an all-pro..sometimes, no matter how good the player, if he's not comfortable, or in the right scheme, his full potential may never be realized

Thing is, it's not like Tim Jennings at all. We were playing a lazy, adulterated version of Cover 2, coached by a couple of guys who, in practice, didn't really believe in Cover 2 (Caldwell and Coyer). Jennings went to a team that was playing a much better brand of Cover 2, with much better defensive talent. 

With Hughes, we actually had changed over to a system that better fit his skill set and attributes. Maybe he wouldn't have had a 10 sack season -- although the makings were there, with Werner playing a lot more than we expected him to -- but he would have been our second best pass rusher, without a doubt. And now, we are without Mathis for the first four games, and we have no proven athletic pass rusher on the roster behind him. 

I'm generally a Grigson supporter/defender, but the Hughes trade was a mistake. Last year pretty much proved it, and the developments so far this season are reinforcing it further. Bottom line, the Bills got the better player, and the guy we got is unlikely to make the roster.

Grigson shouldn't be allowed trade for awhile. The guy has a horrible track record so far. The only significant trade where we at least got fair value in return was the Vontae trade. And even that could've been a mistake had we not been able to re-sign him this off-season

Trading a guy who was a liability was no mistake. Good riddence, but good luck in Buffalo. He did not fit.

In what way was Jerry Hughes a liability?

Please respond without complaining about how he was a bad draft pick and basically sucked his first two seasons, as that has no bearing on whether he could have helped us last year (or this year).

also keep in mind who else is on that Buffalo D-line....teams have to account for those other players more then they did when Hughes was in Indy.

That's a very legitimate point. I don't think anyone thinks that Hughes would have thrown up 10 sacks here, but he would have been better for our defense than Sheppard was. 

By the way, Sheppard finished the season much better than he started, just to be fair. I still think having Hughes would have been better for us. It's not the end of the world, but I don't think it was a good trade.

Thing is, it's not like Tim Jennings at all. We were playing a lazy, adulterated version of Cover 2, coached by a couple of guys who, in practice, didn't really believe in Cover 2 (Caldwell and Coyer). Jennings went to a team that was playing a much better brand of Cover 2, with much better defensive talent. 

With Hughes, we actually had changed over to a system that better fit his skill set and attributes. Maybe he wouldn't have had a 10 sack season -- although the makings were there, with Werner playing a lot more than we expected him to -- but he would have been our second best pass rusher, without a doubt. And now, we are without Mathis for the first four games, and we have no proven athletic pass rusher on the roster behind him. 

I'm generally a Grigson supporter/defender, but the Hughes trade was a mistake. Last year pretty much proved it, and the developments so far this season are reinforcing it further. Bottom line, the Bills got the better player, and the guy we got is unlikely to make the roster.

I was just making a point about a team letting a player go that wasn't performing at their best. Jennings came to my mind at the time..Sorry..i hadn't slept and was just saying things like that happen all the time, to every team.

I was just making a point about a team letting a player go that wasn't performing at their best. Jennings came to my mind at the time..Sorry..i hadn't slept and was just saying things like that happen all the time, to every team.

Which is true. Fair points.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, July 28, 2014 - personal spat
Hidden by Superman, July 28, 2014 - personal spat

Grigson shouldn't be allowed trade for awhile. The guy has a horrible track record so far. The only significant trade where we at least got fair value in return was the Vontae trade. And even that could've been a mistake had we not been able to re-sign him this off-season

Dear God...

In what way was Jerry Hughes a liability?

Please respond without complaining about how he was a bad draft pick and basically sucked his first two seasons, as that has no bearing on whether he could have helped us last year (or this year).

Getting anything for Hughes at the time of the trade was a win for Grigson.  I would have applauded the trade had he gotten a warm bucket of spit in return.  Hughes was certainly unimpressive as 4-3 DE and not much better as a 3-4 OLB in 2012.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, July 28, 2014 - personal spat
Hidden by Superman, July 28, 2014 - personal spat

Brilliant retort. Still does not help your cause in what was a monumentally bad idea.

A retort to what? I thought it to be the perfect response to someone wanting nothing other than to be a irritating, pompous *. I gave you the same amount of thought and respect you showed me. So once again,

P*** off

Getting anything for Hughes at the time of the trade was a win for Grigson.  I would have applauded the trade had he gotten a warm bucket of spit in return.  Hughes was certainly unimpressive as 4-3 DE and not much better as a 3-4 OLB in 2012.

I disagree.

I watched him play. He was not good, undisciplined, and a loud mouth. What he did at Buffalo was totally irrelevant at the time he was traded. All this hindsight baloney is pretty lame. But hey, it's no big deal, just my opinion.

It's not fair to judge deals like this in hindsight, but the true cost/benefit is only realized in hindsight. So, in hindsight, it becomes obvious if one team got the better end of the deal. I'm not throwing Grigson under the bus, but we would have been better off keeping Hughes. 

As for your opinion of Hughes, well, that's another story. He wasn't special, but he made contributions, particularly in 2012. He would have been our second best pass rusher in 2013. Calling him a liability suggests he would have made our team worse. That's decidedly untrue.