What Would You Do?-Replacing Vick Ballard

PrincetonTiger

Replacing Vick  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What Would You Do to replace Ballard

• Sign A Veteran
    • Trade
    • Stand Pat and Do Nothing

Sign somebody to finish camp with(some guy most people never heard of)

Then wait for the cut deadlines and sign someone off the waiver wire.

Yup. Don't know why that wasn't a poll option. I didn't vote, but this is exactly what I'd do. Any player I'd look at right now would likely be a low profile guy who hasn't done anything in the NFL.

As for the guys we have now, I think Rainey has a good chance to standout for us, given his open field ability. And Pagano talked about his special teams ability as a plus for him. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are far greater needs on this team than a rb. While Ballard was a good back and might've ended up being the starter at some point in the season had he stayed healthy, with where we now stand, it would be silly (imo) to to spend any type of capital on replacing him instead of using it to find a safety, for instance. Waiver wire or use what we have behind Bradshaw and TRich are the only logical steps.

» In talking about Andrew Luck's Colts, former Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson declared, "I THINKarrow-10x10.png Trent Richardson and that run game will have a lot to do with the success of Andrew Luck. This is a big year for Trent Richardson and that run game." When asked if he believed in the third-year running back from Alabama, Robinson candidly replied, "I don't believe in Trent Richardson, I have to say it. I don't believe in him."

» In talking about Andrew Luck's Colts, former Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson declared, "I THINKarrow-10x10.png Trent Richardson and that run game will have a lot to do with the success of Andrew Luck. This is a big year for Trent Richardson and that run game." When asked if he believed in the third-year running back from Alabama, Robinson candidly replied, "I don't believe in Trent Richardson, I have to say it. I don't believe in him."

I hate when they take quotes from players of teams we beat. Cause you never know if they're being honest or of they're in their feelings about us whooping them

It is July. Being hurt a little bit right now doesn't mean much in the long run lol. Hyde is a great runner and runningback is one of the easiest transition positions. I'm telling you, I'm sure the 49ers are happy with their backs, especially since each back is complemented by the QB who is a giant RB himself. Bernard is indeed an every down back and he was only a rookie, though I don't think many would argue that he and Law firm wouldn't start on other teams, like you said, trade bait.

You're right though. Raiders are Raiders lol.

Hunter gone for the year hurts even SF James really hasn't gotten a chance 39 carries in 2 yrs, Lattimore the kid I loved at SC is on PUP. Who knows what he can do and for how long. Hyde is a rookie. Gore is 31 now. They have a lot of choices but a lot of questions too.

I am not sure Bernard can stand up to a full load for 16 games. I think no more than 20 touches a game if you want him to make it the entire year and he caught 56 balls last year. He's only 208lbs.  Hill 238lbs  will be the banger in between the 20's which makes the Bengals backfield a fantasy nightmare. I would at least dangle the law firm out there and see what happens. Bengals need another WR or a break out year from Jones.

I am in no way suggesting we should trade for the law firm.

I hate when they take quotes from players of teams we beat. Cause you never know if they're being honest or of they're in their feelings about us whooping them

Yeah but with us beating them you also have to ask yourself what did T Rich do in that game?  In all likelihood it was not much. I'm sure their defensive players had their opinions of T Rich afterwards.   I'm still going to give T Rich an opportunity to prove otherwise this season.  Although I must say my confidence isn't that high on him right now.

Hunter gone for the year hurts even SF James really hasn't gotten a chance 39 carries in 2 yrs, Lattimore the kid I loved at SC is on PUP. Who knows what he can do and for how long. Hyde is a rookie. Gore is 31 now. They have a lot of choices but a lot of questions too.

I am not sure Bernard can stand up to a full load for 16 games. I think no more than 20 touches a game if you want him to make it the entire year and he caught 56 balls last year. He's only 208lbs.  Hill 238lbs  will be the banger in between the 20's which makes the Bengals backfield a fantasy nightmare. I would at least dangle the law firm out there and see what happens. Bengals need another WR or a break out year from Jones.

I am in no way suggesting we should trade for the law firm.

James is more of a ST, but we know that he has the build to be a hammer and who knows why they haven't used him yet, maybe they don't need to. They drafted Lattimore for a reason...he has had some injury troubles but the guy is a natural runner when healthy. Hyde, though a rookie, like I mentioned, plays a position that isn't hard to transition over to the NFL from college. He is playing behind an all-pro offensive line, yeah, he is going to be darn good. I also pointed out that Kaep is going to help the running game out anyway, as well as Gore and the offense they run.

And if you are going to go off of weight as a determiner for runningbacks carrying the load, then there are a lot of backs who are sub-200 that can and do still make plays and contribute for their offense. I don't see how you could possibly write off Gio and Green-Ellis but okay lol. I don't think the Bengals would trade the latter at this point anyway, they just acquired him a year ago if I'm not mistaken and is, which is the basis of this discussion, a guy that doesn't need to be the starter but can still take over if the other guy goes down.

Just watch Chris Raineys Florida... Of course it was a couple years ago but he has talent... Could be a decent back if he knows the offense, he has the vision for it.

Check out his Steelers one on Youtube as well.. Can't post on here for copyright purposes.

He MIGHT be able to help the team out givin the opportunity!

Stand pat, HE'S A 3RD STRING RB!

RB's are a dime a dozen, easily can replace Vick Ballard. And we have 3-4 guys behind Ahmad & Trent who can do it

3rd String based in what? The incredible talent Richardson has shown, or the injury prone Bradshaw.  I would not have been surprised in the least for Ballard to put Trent the bench by midseason if he had not gotten injured. 

While I agree we stand pat and see how things shake out in camp and who gets cut from other teams, you are giving Ballard too little credit and TR and AB too much.

James is more of a ST, but we know that he has the build to be a hammer and who knows why they haven't used him yet, maybe they don't need to. They drafted Lattimore for a reason...he has had some injury troubles but the guy is a natural runner when healthy. Hyde, though a rookie, like I mentioned, plays a position that isn't hard to transition over to the NFL from college. He is playing behind an all-pro offensive line, yeah, he is going to be darn good. I also pointed out that Kaep is going to help the running game out anyway, as well as Gore and the offense they run.

And if you are going to go off of weight as a determiner for runningbacks carrying the load, then there are a lot of backs who are sub-200 that can and do still make plays and contribute for their offense. I don't see how you could possibly write off Gio and Green-Ellis but okay lol. I don't think the Bengals would trade the latter at this point anyway, they just acquired him a year ago if I'm not mistaken and is, which is the basis of this discussion, a guy that doesn't need to be the starter but can still take over if the other guy goes down.

I started following the Ducks when I moved to AK  so I have kind of followed James. I don't know what the deal is with him. Lattimore was a beast at South Carolina before he blew his knee up twice. I am fimillar with Hyde OSU Big Ten good back  will no doubt do well if given the chance.

I was looking at Bernard from a fantasy perspective one of the big backs Hill I think is going to win the job but maybe law firm will hold on to it for another year. I think Hill is going to be good. One of the big backs will steal the goal line touchdowns. That is the trend in the NFL not many backs get the lions hare of the work.

You are use to watching Foster that is why he has been a top 3 fantasy back he gets all the action most teams don't have a back like that or at least don't use them like that. Nothing is more frustrating than watching your guy get the team in the red zone to be pulled at the goal line. Or the dreaded 2 yard td pass Cowboys play calling kills Demarco Murray kid is good but they won't run the ball in the red zone.

I think I went down a fantasy bunny trail without you sorry I am not giving up on Bernard after his rookie year  I personally think the Bengals will be a committee from a fantasy perspective. I know I am way off topic and forum for topic.

3rd String based in what? The incredible talent Richardson has shown, or the injury prone Bradshaw. I would not have been surprised in the least for Ballard to put Trent the bench by midseason if he had not gotten injured.

While I agree we stand pat and see how things shake out in camp and who gets cut from other teams, you are giving Ballard too little credit and TR and AB too much.

Based on the horse's mouth. Confirmed Trent is the starter with Bradshaw backing him up so where does that leave Ballard?

And now with a 2nd season ending injury, he'll probably be done as a Colt. Not giving him too little, just stating facts. Doubt Ballard is back next year if he can even recover. 1 year in the NFL (playing wise) and already he's got 2 leg injuries. Hard to be a RB with bad legs

Yeah but with us beating them you also have to ask yourself what did T Rich do in that game? In all likelihood it was not much. I'm sure their defensive players had their opinions of T Rich afterwards. I'm still going to give T Rich an opportunity to prove otherwise this season. Although I must say my confidence isn't that high on him right now.

He'll be fine. We don't need him to be a AP for us, just do his job when his number is called. We have enough weapons for Andrew to do the rest, just need Trent to keep the defense honest imo

Just watch Chris Raineys Florida... Of course it was a couple years ago but he has talent... Could be a decent back if he knows the offense, he has the vision for it.

Check out his Steelers one on Youtube as well.. Can't post on here for copyright purposes.

He MIGHT be able to help the team out givin the opportunity!

He is a real threat as a KR PR as well

3rd String based in what? The incredible talent Richardson has shown, or the injury prone Bradshaw.  I would not have been surprised in the least for Ballard to put Trent the bench by midseason if he had not gotten injured. 

Bradshaw had played in 75 of 80 games prior to last yrs injury. Ballard two season ending injuries 17 games played sadly his career is probably in jeopardy but how does that make Bradshaw  the injury prone player?

Yeah but with us beating them you also have to ask yourself what did T Rich do in that game?  In all likelihood it was not much. I'm sure their defensive players had their opinions of T Rich afterwards.   I'm still going to give T Rich an opportunity to prove otherwise this season.  Although I must say my confidence isn't that high on him right now.

I think Trent will be happy to know that you are going to give him the opportunity to prove otherwise that's all he wants is a chance to learn the offense and prove otherwise.

Based on the horse's mouth. Confirmed Trent is the starter with Bradshaw backing him up so where does that leave Ballard?

And now with a 2nd season ending injury, he'll probably be done as a Colt. Not giving him too little, just stating facts. Doubt Ballard is back next year if he can even recover. 1 year in the NFL (playing wise) and already he's got 2 leg injuries. Hard to be a RB with bad legs

I agree this injury is quite possibly the end of his career, but your post I quoted was obviously referring to this season and what he would have been this season prior to injury, not what he will do when he comes back.  And just because they are trying to force Richardson to the the starting position doesn't mean he could have held onto it, he could have easily found himself sitting on the bench again just like last season.

You weren't stating facts, you were stating opinion.  Show me where it states factually that Bradshaw was going to get more carries than Ballard. 

Bradshaw had played in 75 of 80 games prior to last yrs injury. Ballard two season ending injuries 17 games played sadly his career is probably in jeopardy but how does that make Bradshaw  the injury prone player?

Really? Where have you been? Bradshaw is the epitome of injury prone ... why do you think the Giants let him walk.  It was one of the questions mark and topics most discussed when we signed him last season.  He's had both feet (one multiple times), both ankles, his neck and who knows what else operated on.

I really like Bradshaw, and he is a beast when he is healthy ... but to question the fact he is injury prone ... come on now!!

Really? Where have you been? Bradshaw is the epitome of injury prone ... why do you think the Giants let him walk.  It was one of the questions mark and topics most discussed when we signed him last season.  He's had both feet (one multiple times), both ankles, his neck and who knows what else operated on.

Football is a sport where people get hurt last year was the first time Bradshaw did not play in at least 12 games in fact he played in 74/80 until last year Ballard is on the IR 2/3 yrs Bradshaw was hurt he played Ballard injured on the shelf big difference.He has 4400 career rushing yards and 34 tds

Let's see who's there week one.

Football is a sport where people get hurt last year was the first time Bradshaw did not play in at least 12 games in fact he played in 74/80 until last year Ballard is on the IR 2/3 yrs Bradshaw was hurt he played Ballard injured on the shelf big difference.He has 4400 career rushing yards and 34 tds

Let's see who's there week one.

I like Bradshaw he is a warrior, but he was always nicked up and playing hurt in NY and it was obvious at times even when he fought through it. We may very well be able to classify Ballard as injury prone NOW, the comment that originally started this discussion was referring to the value of a healthy Ballard.  Bradshaw is held together with duct tape and super glue he is an injury waiting to happen, I can't believe you are arguing this; go back and look at the threads when we signed him "injury prone" was a majority opinion, read most any analysis on why NYG let him walk and you will see the same thing. Why the discussion on limiting his carries?

Again ... I like Bradshaw I was in favor of signing him both times. Yes, on the Giants he usually found a way to power through much of the pain, but if you think the injuries were not effecting him in NY than you weren't watching closely.

Since he is so reliable and "not injury prone" I am sure you will feel fine going into the season with just Trent, Bradshaw, and any scrub RB; no need to sign a good RB that gets cut or a vet if no RB steps up and stands out in camp, right?

Yeah Richardson came in and did a bang up job of it didn't he ... The fact that someone with your screen name made that comment ... :facepalm:

There might be a hint of sarcasm in my screen name. Let's not act like Vick Ballard is a quality starter in the NFL, he's an average RB at best. Guys like him are dime a dozen in the NFL.

Dear God...

1) Robinson is no longer aplayer so your baseless theory fails with him to begin with

2) Robinon is hardly along in this feeling about TR.

3) People always look for conspiracy theories or alterior motives but some times (most times) this is just simply their belief.

The Colts should've resigned Donald Brown.  I don't know why you let a guy walk when 2 RB's have injury issues. 

I was not a fan of letting Brown go.  I hate to see when I am proved right.

Dear God...

Brown got $10 mil over 3 years. The Colts were never, ever going to get close to that offer. Nor should they.

Adding Davin Meggett today was a good stopgap, to make sure there are enough running backs to continue to slowly add in Trent Richardson and Ahmad Bradshaw to the summer camp mix. That should be it unless there are more injuries.

Undrafted free agent Zurlon Tipton needs a chance to show what he can do in preseason games before the Colts make a move. Dan Herron and Chris Rainey are special teams players that you can use in a pinch, but both finished last year on IR, so reliability is not their middle names. Tipton ran for nearly 1,500 yards and 20 TDs running behind 2013 first overall draft pick Eric Fisher. Tipton was expected to do big things without Fisher in 2013, but broke his ankle in the opener. He was expected to miss the season, but came back for the final four games, scoring seven times and having a 200-yard game. At 230 pounds, Tipton wasn't drafted because he had a history of injuries going back to high school and could barely crack 4.7 in the 40. Let's see what he does in the preseason and how he fits in on special teams.

If Tipton doesn't make the team, then the Colts should be looking for other late round picks (really wish they drafted Stanford's Tyler Gaffney, who went 204th, now) or undrafted free agents who will likely not make other teams such as Patriots' Stephen Houston (used to play at IU), Falcons' Jerome Smith (who led Syracuse in rushing last year) and Eagles' David Fluellen (who ran for more than 3,000 yards in career at Toledo and played in the Senior Bowl). Or maybe a player who has been with the Colts in past, like Steelers' Miguel Maysonet (who was on the Colts practice squad for a few weeks in 2013).

There could also be some surprises in the final cut and a veteran or two may be out there. Former second-round pick Mikel Leshoure is probably not going to make the Lions.

There is no rush.

Stand pat, HE'S A 3RD STRING RB!

RB's are a dime a dozen, easily can replace Vick Ballard. And we have 3-4 guys behind Ahmad & Trent who can do it

Only because of injury was he not the starter last season.  The problem is that Bradshaw is a big question to even stay on the field and obviously Trich didnt show much last year.  I think the Colts organization probably expected Ballard to earn the starting position.  In any case hes much more than a third stringer that's easily replaced.

They are a dime a dozen yet we can't find any that are worth much.

Meh, I think rb's with more talent then him will be cut but he should be familiar with the playbook and he does have some talent, This was a safe move, I personally would have waited to see if a young undrafted Back with more talent is cut which is likely to happen, Then again that Back would have to have time to learn the playbook and get some carries behind his O Line, Safe move on getting Meggett

Meh, I think rb's with more talent then him will be cut but he should be familiar with the playbook and he does have some talent, This was a safe move, I personally would have waited to see if a young undrafted Back with more talent is cut which is likely to happen, Then again that Back would have to have time to learn the playbook and get some carries behind his O Line, Safe move on getting Meggett

BJGE could be among those "soon-to-be-available" RBs you speak of. He has a decent injury history and a respectable YPC average.

BJGE could be among those "soon-to-be-available" RBs you speak of. He has a decent injury history and a respectable YPC average.

He is the exact reason I would have waited though I do have a few others in mind