Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marshawn Lynch to hold out of Seattle Seahawks camp

IcEWoLF

He doesn't have the same leverage as Jamal Charles... I don't think Seattle will bend at all here. They shouldn't, IMO. Lynch is a great runner but I like Christine MIchael a lot, and Lynch is already making very good money for a RB, especially in today's NFL where the position has lost a lot of value. 

I feel like this is just a knee-jerk reaction to seeing Jamaal Charles getting paid.  He didn't actually sit down with his agent and think this through completely

You're probably right about that. 

And I would also bet that some NFL vets would gladly pay big fines to skip a week or two of camp. I'm guessing he shows up after a few days when he comes to his senses.

You're probably right about that. 

And I would also bet that some NFL vets would gladly pay big fines to skip a week or two of camp. I'm guessing he shows up after a few days when he comes to his senses.

Yeah, I've seen many vets say they hate the grind of training camp.  RB has also been noted by many people as one of the simpler positions to play, so Lynch missing time isn't a big deal. 

Just curious....what if this thing gets nasty?

I mean Lynch isn't exactly a predictable guy and Pete Carroll DOES have a history of, among other things, giving younger guys a legitimate shot at starting or getting meaningful playing time.

Carroll's quote...."It isn't about one guy. It hasn't been," Carroll said. "We have a lot of really good football players here, and the opportunities for the guys to take advantage of that spot is extraordinary and they're going for it. I think that's a really good illustration of how our language was last year with Percy, our language is now again, because that's what we believe."

Perhaps one of our Forum cap gurus can analyze Lynch's contract structure....and tell me what realistic options, if any, that the Seahawks have?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/marshawn-lynch/

I think Seattle looks like a one hit wonder like the 85 Bears.

Very possible....and it's things like this that make repeating easier said than done. And who knows....they may settle it all in the next few days or weeks.

But that "next man up" mantra is often a pipe dream when it involves an impact guy like Lynch....and despite Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson's cheerleading of Lynch's back-ups.....I for one don't see the Seahawks repeating without Lynch leading their rushing attack.

There are probably less than 5 RBs in the NFL who deserve the mid-contract "sweetener" Lynch is asking for...but IMO, he indeed is one of them.

I think Seattle looks like a one hit wonder like the 85 Bears for the same reason.  Too much ego.

That same ego is what got them to the Super Bowl and won it. One runningback holding out isn't a sign that things are going to suddenly fall apart in Seattle.

Remember when Lynch was wasting away in relative obscurity in Buffalo? I remember when Aaron Rogers wanted the Packers to pick Lynch up but they did not. They could've used him at the time, but of course they have Lacy now who seems like the real deal.

If I'm Seattle, I stand pat. Let Christine Michael run the ball because he looks pretty good from what I've seen. Lynch can sit on the bench and munch on Skittles for all I care.

Very possible....and it's things like this that make repeating easier said than done. And who knows....they may settle it all in the next few days or weeks.

But that "next man up" mantra is often a pipe dream when it involves an impact guy like Lynch....and despite Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson's cheerleading of Lynch's back-ups.....I for one don't see the Seahawks repeating without Lynch leading their rushing attack.

There are probably less than 5 RBs in the NFL who deserve the mid-contract "sweetener" Lynch is asking for...but IMO, he indeed is one of them.

Lynch ran for 1257 yards and 4.2 YPC last season which was down significantly from 1590 and 5.0 the previous year. Some of that was due to all of the injuries to the offensive line, but lets not act like Lynch was putting up historic numbers last year that will be impossible to replace.

Lynch has no leverage so he's either going to walk away from millions of dollars or play. He'll be there on opening day.

Lynch ran for 1257 yards and 4.2 YPC last season which was down significantly from 1590 and 5.0 the previous year. Some of that was due to all of the injuries to the offensive line, but lets not act like Lynch was putting up historic numbers last year that will be impossible to replace.

Lynch has no leverage so he's either going to walk away from millions of dollars or play. He'll be there on opening day.

He might be on the losing ground with Seattle which i still doubt but there are tonnes of teams who will pay the money for him with a short term deal. He is a special player.

Imagine he plays for Colts now with Ballard gone and T Rec an unknown so far.

Replacing the threat and balance he gives Seattle's offense won't be so easy.

Whether he's still at the top of his game is an open question and one the Seahawks will answer in their response to his extension.

The team does have the upper hand in the way of fines during his holdout....but not having Lynch in their offense will stunt them badly....and Christine Michael, who already blew a knee out at A&M, banged his shoulder up this past week. Sidney Rice has retired, Golden Tate is gone to Detroit, and Percy Harvin, while dangerous, is by no means a picture of durability.

I know mid-contract extensions are few and far between....but after the Seahawks paid Harvin, Sherman and Thomas so handsomely...I can understand Lynch's request.

He may not have anything close to slam-dunk leverage in all this....but the bottom line is that without him, the Seattle offense as it stands now, will scare no one and IMO....would not have enough to propel them to another Super Bowl.

I will never blame a player who can cash in.

Much deserved than the owners and NFL.

He wont get it..The difference between owners and players is which way the money flows. 'Deserve' doesn't come into it..

I think Lynch is just sitting out training camp ...

He takes a lot of pounding and he doesn't need much training camp..He'll play and he'll be fine..

He might be on the losing ground with Seattle which i still doubt but there are tonnes of teams who will pay the money for him with a short term deal. He is a special player.

Imagine he plays for Colts now with Ballard gone and T Rec an unknown so far.

I wouldn't trade anything more then a 6th for him.  

There is a lot of wear and tear on him.  Walterfootball also did a piece for fantasy football, but has good real life implications that showed that players who led the league in carries usually had disappointing years the next year.  

I don't think the Seahawks can repeat without him, but letting him sit on the sidelines and pout may be the right decision anyways because there is a good chance that they won't repeat with him on the tail end of his career.  

yeah if the seahawks sign him back up there already have alot of players on the defense they need to sign too

That's it..FF.....They have to sign Russell Wilson next year and they already spread big bucks around the secondary...

they cant afford to spend $9 or $9 mil on an RB the next year or two..

If he gets $5 mil....this season....get into camp and collect it

That same ego is what got them to the Super Bowl and won it. One runningback holding out isn't a sign that things are going to suddenly fall apart in Seattle.

I agree with you. Still, I don't like it when well paid players like Lynch sit out. Giving in to his demands only reinforces that behavior. Walter Jones, Seahawks HOF player, seemed to threaten to sit out training camp every year. It was ridiculous. I agreed with your team's decision not to trade AJ. It sends a message that the team as a whole comes first. You are a better team with AJ than without him.

So pleased to have Adrian Peterson as our star player. He is humble and shows the rest of the team how a player should act.

I agree with you. Still, I don't like it when well paid players like Lynch sit out. Giving in to his demands only reinforces that behavior. Walter Jones, Seahawks HOF player, seemed to threaten to sit out training camp every year. It was ridiculous. I agreed with your team's decision not to trade AJ. It sends a message that the team as a whole comes first. You are a better team with AJ than without him.

So pleased to have Adrian Peterson as our star player. He is humble and shows the rest of the team how a player should act.

Oh yeah, definitely. I definitely wasn't condoning Lynch's behavior, I am actually against players holding out too. The guy saw others getting paid and is trying to cash in when he already did, only a couple of years ago. But like Houston I don't see Seattle budging here. Lynch is going to be in camp soon, and in the first game as well....with the same contract he has right now lol.

Oh yeah, definitely. I definitely wasn't condoning Lynch's behavior, I am actually against players holding out too. The guy saw others getting paid and is trying to cash in when he already did, only a couple of years ago. But like Houston I don't see Seattle budging here. Lynch is going to be in camp soon, and in the first game as well....with the same contract he has right now lol.

Yes, I know you were not condoning his behavior. I was just adding my two cents and comparing it to your situation. You and I are two of the only fans of teams other than the Colts and Pats. So, I like to quote you and get your perspective. :)

Yes, I know you were not condoning his behavior. I was just adding my two cents and comparing it to your situation. You and I are two of the only fans of teams other than the Colts and Pats. So, I like to quote you and get your perspective. :)

We're lone wolves, that's why we understand each other so well haha Till the season starts anyway, there's another Texan fan that posts here so I won't be the only one for long lol.

Seattle has bumped Lynch's salary from $5mil to $6.5 for this season but $500,000 is in incentives if he reaches 1,500 yards. Probably a smart move by Seattle but sets a dangerous precedent that players can hold out and get more money out of them. Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11291797/seattle-seahawks-marshawn-lynch-ends-holdout-arrives-camp

Seattle has bumped Lynch's salary from $5mil to $6.5 for this season but $500,000 is in incentives if he reaches 1,500 yards. Probably a smart move by Seattle but sets a dangerous precedent that players can hold out and get more money out of them. Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11291797/seattle-seahawks-marshawn-lynch-ends-holdout-arrives-camp

The right move. They can't afford to lose him.

We don't seem to bother too much when players sign a 6 year contract and team releases them end of 3rd. Where is the honoring the contract there?.

The right move. They can't afford to lose him.

We don't seem to bother too much when players sign a 6 year contract and team releases them end of 3rd. Where is the honoring the contract there?.

Yeah, I think with the NFL because the contracts are not guaranteed players fight hard for the guaranteed money. And I don't blame them and I don't blame Lynch either for wanting more money now at age 28. I am kind of surprised he got it but then again Seattle does need him like you said. I think the new CBA has really come back to haunt the players in a lot of ways.