Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When I watch film, Andrew has some of the most inconsistent mechanics in the nfl

I think you have to understand the difference between being able to put the ball in throwing lanes vs poor mechanics. If you have a good O-line specially interior you have throwing lanes to choose from (more natural looking throws) if you have a poor interior line like we had then you fit them were you can. This is why sometimes he has an accuracy problem because it is hard to practice throwing into unnatural lanes. Not saying he has perfect mechanics but to me i am not to worried about it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todays fun fact. Scroll to the bottom of the page. It shows how many people are visiting the board. And also, you're a troll. There isn't one person, let alone a professional athlete, that doesn't have something they want to improve upon.

Im on mobile, but 42 people are viewing this board. Most of u call anyone that says something u don't like a troll.

Then u admit everyone has something to improve while others act as if Luck is perfect. His mind is what separates him from most qbs, not his mechanics.

Good Lord...  

How can I prove it? You've watched him, and I assume you watch the rest of the nfl. Andrew is great, but his mechanics don't seem consistent. His feet are sonetimes sloppy amd his motion can be elongated at times. I want to know cam this be fixed. Like how Rodgers mechanocs were completely changed.

Im on mobile, but 42 people are viewing this board. Most of u call anyone that says something u don't like a troll.

Then u admit everyone has something to improve while others act as if Luck is perfect. His mind is what separates him from most qbs, not his mechanics.

There is no correlation between Luck saying that he wants to improve his foot work and your claim that he has the 2nd worst mechanics of all Qb's in the NFL. You lack substance in your claim. Furthermore, your post history strongly supports the trolling that many suggest you do. It has nothing to do with you posting something that others disagree with. I've supported and defended TRich many of times on this board, something that many on here disagree with, but I have never been called a troll. There's a difference.

There is no correlation between Luck saying that he wants to improve his foot work and your claim that he has the 2nd worst mechanics of all Qb's in the NFL. You lack substance in your claim. Furthermore, your post history strongly supports the trolling that many suggest you do. It has nothing to do with you posting something that others disagree with. I've supported and defended TRich many of times on this board, something that many on here disagree with, but I have never been called a troll. There's a difference.

Calling Trent Richardson a bad runningback and a mistake is not trolling, it's a fact.

Maybe I overstated with 2 worst mechanics. I forgot people like Fitzpatrick may start. Then Locker has always lacked accuracy. I apologize. But he does have work to do. I just wonder how good he can be if he ever cleaned up things

Calling Trent Richardson a bad runningback and a mistake is not trolling, it's a fact.

Maybe I overstated with 2 worst mechanics. I forgot people like Fitzpatrick may start. Then Locker has always lacked accuracy. I apologize. But he does have work to do. I just wonder how good he can be if he ever cleaned up things

Watch this....  Without Trent Richardson last year we would have missed the playoffs.  Without TRich, Donald Brown would have had too many carries and would have ended up on IR.  We then would have had 0 running game and defenses would have keyed in on our passing game and Luck would have gotten even more destroyed and ended up with a career ending injury.

Therefore, it is a fact that trading for Trent Richardson saved Andrew Luck from a career ending injury.  This meaning the trade was absolutely not a mistake.  FACT

See what I did there?  You can't state an opinion with an unlimited amount of variables and call it a fact.  You sir, are either an * or a troll.  I personally think you are both.

How can I prove it? You've watched him, and I assume you watch the rest of the nfl. Andrew is great, but his mechanics don't seem consistent. His feet are sonetimes sloppy amd his motion can be elongated at times. I want to know cam this be fixed. Like how Rodgers mechanocs were completely changed.

Hard to have stellar mechanics when you are running for your life most of the time.  He will get better and the coaches know better than any of us what, if anything he needs to change.  Many of the greatest QB's have less than perfect "mechanics"  but end up in the HOF.  GO COLTS

I think you have to understand the difference between being able to put the ball in throwing lanes vs poor mechanics. If you have a good O-line specially interior you have throwing lanes to choose from (more natural looking throws) if you have a poor interior line like we had then you fit them were you can. This is why sometimes he has an accuracy problem because it is hard to practice throwing into unnatural lanes. Not saying he has perfect mechanics but to me i am not to worried about it.

Being one of the few Colts fans who Keeps it Real about Andrew, i agree with ya.

I like his mechanics.

He does consistently get well set for his pass but i do think it takes just long enough their is an extra fraction of time to react to it.

I would also say his wider base makes him play below his 6'4" height and likely contributes to his short game issues.

We are all looking forward to him having a solid pass blocking line with a decent running game so he can show us what he Really can do.

Maybe its from constantly having a defender wrapped around him or bearing down on him. He just automatically throws with that in mind even if he`s in the free and clear? haha Whatever it is, hope he keeps doing it! 

Luck's feet may seem sloppy because he gets pressured more than just about any other QB in the league and has to throw on the run often or like SOMD says when he is getting hit or avoiding getting hit.

I think Luck is somewhat deceiving.  He has a very odd motion and delivery.  Like they said before Pro Day, he looks like he really isn't trying to throw the ball hard. Like flicking his wrist, but it gets out of there.  So I think he is deceiving.  But he gets it done.

There is a snap of the wrist that gives a lot of power to the ball, not seen in merely just watching his arm movement. I like it.

I have noticed Luck, on occasion, throws his passes too high, but beyond that he is nearly flawless in everything. He's great at stepping up into the pocket. He's not afraid to take a hit (I like how he even congratulates opponents by saying, "Good hit!"). He is one of the most EFFICIENT scrambling QB's in the league as far as YPC. He is a field general (esp. on the sidelines). He's a gym rat. He knows the correct things to say in front of a camera. He has a rifle for an arm (watch those TY Hilton TD throws and tell me that's not money). And this upcoming season, he will be given extra responsibilities on calling some plays at the line. He will probably only get better from here.

Watch this....  Without Trent Richardson last year we would have missed the playoffs.  Without TRich, Donald Brown would have had too many carries and would have ended up on IR.  We then would have had 0 running game and defenses would have keyed in on our passing game and Luck would have gotten even more destroyed and ended up with a career ending injury.

Therefore, it is a fact that trading for Trent Richardson saved Andrew Luck from a career ending injury.  This meaning the trade was absolutely not a mistake.  FACT

See what I did there?  You can't state an opinion with an unlimited amount of variables and call it a fact.  You sir, are either an * or a troll.  I personally think you are both.

This post isn't just fabulous...it stabulous!

I akin the OP's premise to that of a ....."I have a job making 6 figures, I work 3 days a week, I have full benefits and 8 weeks vacation a year......but I don't have a window view". 

This post isn't just fabulous...it stabulous!

I akin the OP's premise to that of a ....."I have a job making 6 figures, I work 3 days a week, I have full benefits and 8 weeks vacation a year......but I don't have a window view". 

And my personal parking space is in the second row!  And my secretary has a Wisconsin accent; I CAN'T STAND THAT!

Why do people refer to watching YouTube as watching film. You do realize its not the same thing

haha

I watch a TON of game tape.. I've probably watched about 10-15 mins of edited footage via my NFL Filmroom (YouTube) in the last month. If you continuously pause it, it's almost like slow motion, but then again I'm a master expert in studying NFL footage. I have about 2-3 mins of prime Luck footage waiting to be played, I'll make sure to report back later.

For a starting qb. Ok, maybe 2nd to Stafford. And one of the uglier throwing motions. Anyone else notice this and do you think he can improve it?

John Gruden has stated that Luck is the best quarterback he has ever seen coming out of college. If you look at the history of John Gruden he has worked with and seen his share of great quarterbacks. I think I will take his opinion over yours. Favre had what some called bad mechanics and he did OK. You give Luck enough time in the pocket to read his options you will see what you are looking for.

Hey, the guy carried this team nearly singlehandedly to a playoff victory. Whatever works!

Just for some perspective; He nearly singlehandedly threw it away too!

Love the guy, love his prospectus, He still has room to grow!

He has in no way reached his ceiling yet.

Ain't that Great!

Coming out of the draft it was the only issue many had with Andrew. On his long throws he has the tendancy to lift his back foot and lose accuracy.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/5/4/2996667/andrew-lucks-throwing-mechanics-issues

http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/andrew-luck-12/

But there was just as many praising his mechanics....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1009175-2012-nfl-draft-scouting-report-breakdown-analysis-of-stanfords-andrew-luck#articles/1009175-2012-nfl-draft-scouting-report-breakdown-analysis-of-stanfords-andrew-luck

I think it is mostly good mechanics but sometimes under pressure he makes mistakes with it....imo.

We saw it many times on his accuracy in year 1 but he has improved drastically on this. So while he has some issues with his mechanics...I think you are vastly over exaggerating this issue. He definately has shown some accuracy issues but I find that has more to do with the rush pushing him off the pocket etc and causing him to rush throws etc than any fundamental issues. He also has a little Peyton in him...he often thinks he can put the ball into any window and sometimes misses or it seems he anticipates defenses and most of the time he is right but sometimes he can be fooled. I think he is getting nothing but better and his footwork will continue to get better as he gets a cleaner pocket. IMO...which is no better than any others on here obviously...AL is an excellent passer...who will only get better as he learns to read defenses and quickly make play calls at the line and most importantly we give him time to throw the football and a clean pocket to USE the proper mechanics.

Just for some perspective; He nearly singlehandedly threw it away too!

Love the guy, love his prospectus, He still has room to grow!

He has in no way reached his ceiling yet.

Ain't that Great!

How did he almost throw it away?

You didn't see all the interceptions he threw in that game?

The Colts were very lucky to pull that one out!

IMO Luck created the hole we were in for the most part.

Do you happen to remember the score when each of the INTs occurred?

Do you happen to remember the score when each of the INTs occurred?

Yes, the D was not doing their job either in the first half.

But through the first half, and the first poss. of the second, Luck was not helping either.

After that both were stellar!

Just saying that Mr. Luck had a large hand in digging the hole we were in.

Late heroics aside.

Yes, the D was not doing their job either in the first half.

But through the first half, and the first poss. of the second, Luck was not helping either.

After that both were stellar!

Just saying that Mr. Luck had a large hand in digging the hole we were in.

Late heroics aside.

31-10.

The D was responsible for the hole we were in. You don't get to play it safe when you're down that much.

You didn't see all the interceptions he threw in that game?

The Colts were very lucky to pull that one out!

IMO Luck created the hole we were in for the most part.

He didn't throw an interception until the Colts were down 31-10....and that one was unlucky

Nobody watches 'film' anymore. That was back in the day when coaches would actually watch film on a reel in a dark room. Now, you would watch 'all 22' on your iPad or computer....just saying.

Thanks capt obvious....I kid

No one is above criticism but Luck comes close

:(

I too wish everyone could just criticize Andrew for any reason imaginary or otherwise. But sadly we have these people who deal in this "truth" garbage.

Ruins all the fun.

:(

I too wish everyone could just criticize Andrew for any reason imaginary or otherwise. But sadly we have these people who deal in this "truth" garbage.

Ruins all the fun.

I think Luck is almost perfect... so much so that he should be above scrutiny.  Your reply doesn't seem to jive with my statement.

I think Luck is almost perfect... so much so that he should be above scrutiny. Your reply doesn't seem to jive with my statement.

Sarcasm for those who feel the need to harp on tiny little flaws and try to make them big flaws.