Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

if we beat denver...

CR91

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We outscored Seattle and they sorta dominated us, even without their O-tackles.
So it kinda matters How you beat a team.

I expect Denver to be a more complete team for game 1. We have a lot of guys who need a lot of experience playing at all, And playing together.
 But we will be very scrappy!

We outscored Seattle and they sorta dominated us, even without their O-tackles.

So it kinda matters How you beat a team.

I expect Denver to be a more complete team for game 1. We have a lot of guys who need a lot of experience playing at all, And playing together.

But we will be very scrappy!

Hard to dominate a team when you go 2-12 on 3rd down. Colts made plays when it counted, Seattle didn't.

Hard to dominate a team when you go 2-12 on 3rd down. Colts made plays when it counted, Seattle didn't.

No we didn`t. Just 2 Long 73 & 29 yd  (Good) TD plays to Hilton against a D that Only gave up 16 all year, prevented a double digit loss.

Minus those 2 plays and we had barely over 200 yds of total offense as they pounded us for 200+ yards rushing and 423yds overall.

85 yards of penalties on Seattle i`m sure affected their 3rd down effectiveness and helped ours.

The key to beating denver in the first game comes down to if Laron Landry has improved and if Delano Howell is a good player.

No, the key was the Colts pass rush....forcing 2 turnovers...

...and that's the concern this time..because they have their starting LT Clady back and the Colts wont have Robert.

Opening the NFL season in Denver has not proven to be much fun the last 2 seasons

I think a major key to whether or not we beat the broncos is our OL.

The key to beating Peyton is to keep the ball out of his hands and to only give him the ball when he is playing from behind. If our D can get a few stops early and our O can score early and control the clock with a run game (I know Pep says we are a 'score-first' offense, but if we can use the run and possession passing game to set up TY, Moncrief, Nicks, Rogers, and Fleener to exploit mismatches for big 'stretch-the-field' type plays and quick scores, we will be that much better).

If our OL can allow our RB's to move the ball 4 + yards/carry and we can keep Peyton off the field, I think we should be good. I know Luck has proven to be the Colts' latest version of Captain Comeback, but we can't let ourselves get down big vs. Denver -- their offense is too darn good and we won't be able to shoot out with them if we get in an early hole -- we need a few early stops from our D and an early score from our O and then we'll need to play 'keep-away' from Peyton.

All of you think the broncos suck now lol.

Here's the thing. They are better than us. If we win it would be an upset. One loss to Seattle doesn't make them bad. Oh, and Talib is not average.

I swear, this forum sometimes.

The Broncos are more proven and well rounded. Better? On paper, yes. It's hard to say for sure though. It's close enough such that injuries, suspensions, and realistic improvements or regressions made by players from year to year could align such that we've got them beat. But until we prove it, you gotta give Denver the edge.

If we lose......I am confident we win week 2. We don't lose back to backs and it's a home game.

If we win, we will be on our way to a possible playoff bye week IMO. But, even with a loss I feel Denver has the tougher schedule overall this season and is going to fall from grace with the first seed.

Not having Mathis is just going to suck, no way around this. He was a one man wrecking crew at times vs. Peyton last year. Just have to hope other pass rushers step up.

Colts are good underdogs at times and for some reason we do tend to beat Denver over the years so who really knows.

I would not bet on this game AT ALL.

I look at matchups, I like our chances. Without Mathis it doesn't matter. We got better on offense and the front 7 on defense. We're the more physical team. That's me as a Colts fan. But have to wait until the game is over to prove my statements.

Side note, never did understand all the hatred for him

It was misplaced hate largely do to the medias overzealous media coverage of him, I got sick of it, Always liked him as a person but the media was like leeches on him

All I want the Colts team is go in to the game saying is what Russell Wilson said before the SB "why not us"? :)

Then I suggest the Colts go in and show them, very clearly, "why not them". Not only win over them, but destroy their confidence in the process. In order to win, a winning attitude - the confident expectation of winning - is a must.

Last year, the Colts played their best football against the top teams outside of Arizona (which was a catastrophe-- 2nd worst game of the season outside of the Rams). No one gave the Colts a chance against the 49ers, Seahawks, or Broncos, and I think even most did not expect them to win on the road at KC. But they did, and in the case of three of those games, played dominant football.

I think overall the Broncos are a slightly better team, but I by no means believe the Colts don't have a chance Week 1. Yes, Mathis won't be suiting up and it is in Denver, but the Colts just seem to have another gear when it comes to playing big games (unless it's against the Pats). I think getting a good start will be the key. If the Colts get down by more than a touchdown in the 1st half, it will be very difficult come back and win. But if the reverse is true and the Colts get up by 10+, I like their chances to control the clock and hang on for the win.

The Denver game week one is a great opportunity for the Colts to stake their claim as a true powerhouse. It would be a huge win, and it would really open up a lot of eyes around the league with the Colts being a team to look out for in 2014. Denver will be favored, and rightfully so. They were unstoppable for much of last season and they got even better in the offseason with their defensive acquisitions such as Ward, Ware, and Talib. Not to mention they'll be playing at home and ticked off after getting embarrassed in the Super Bowl. I think the Colts could win the game, but the secondary will have to step up much like they did in the Denver game last year. Man I really can't wait for the season to start.

Last year, the Colts played their best football against the top teams outside of Arizona (which was a catastrophe-- 2nd worst game of the season outside of the Rams). No one gave the Colts a chance against the 49ers, Seahawks, or Broncos, and I think even most did not expect them to win on the road at KC. But they did, and in the case of three of those games, played dominant football.

I think overall the Broncos are a slightly better team, but I by no means believe the Colts don't have a chance Week 1. Yes, Mathis won't be suiting up and it is in Denver, but the Colts just seem to have another gear when it comes to playing big games (unless it's against the Pats). I think getting a good start will be the key. If the Colts get down by more than a touchdown in the 1st half, it will be very difficult come back and win. But if the reverse is true and the Colts get up by 10+, I like their chances to control the clock and hang on for the win.

True dat. The only big team the Colts did not get up for was the Patriots game. I do think that comes to an end when the Patriots come here in the middle of the season.

When healthy, our team is very well rounded and dangerous. I think we are better rounded this year than last and there is more continuity on the coaching, offensive and defensive sides from the trenches to the skill positions for more players this year than last.

And yet Denver almost took the lead not for Ronnie Hillman fumble :)

and they almost didn't get anywhere close if not for a Trich fumble and Reggie hurting his leg for what was a sure td.  Almost means nothing in football.  

Anyway this yrs game I think the Colts will win and get the season started off on a high note.  Is Denver done?  No but  they are on the way down while the Colts are rising. Elway knows this could be the last chance (if last season wasn't already) to win the SB with this team.  9-7 for the Broncos and reality will start to set in.

and they almost didn't get anywhere close if not for a Trich fumble and Reggie hurting his leg for what was a sure td.  Almost means nothing in football.  

Anyway this yrs game I think the Colts will win and get the season started off on a high note.  Is Denver done?  No but  they are on the way down while the Colts are rising. Elway knows this could be the last chance (if last season wasn't already) to win the SB with this team.  9-7 for the Broncos and reality will start to set in.

No doubt they are on the way down and Colts are on the rise.

Once Manning is gone, It will be a different team but they are very much relevant this year and its not easy to play them at their home.

Yeah, I really hope we win. All the commentators and crap always leave out the colts in the top team rankings. I don't get it, I'd say we are 2nd/3rd in the AFC and 5th in the NFL. After (hopefully) beating the Broncos without Mathis we'll finally get taken seriously as a SB contender.

Yeah, I really hope we win. All the commentators and crap always leave out the colts in the top team rankings. I don't get it, I'd say we are 2nd/3rd in the AFC and 5th in the NFL. After (hopefully) beating the Broncos without Mathis we'll finally get taken seriously as a SB contender.

I don't mind the no talk about the colts. Who cares what some person thinks on a blog or SC segment. What preseason hyped teams have won the Super Bowl in the last decade? I can't think of any.

So can preseason hurry up and get here so we can watch a game and complain preseason is to long!

The Denver game week one is a great opportunity for the Colts to stake their claim as a true powerhouse. It would be a huge win, and it would really open up a lot of eyes around the league with the Colts being a team to look out for in 2014. Denver will be favored, and rightfully so. They were unstoppable for much of last season and they got even better in the offseason with their defensive acquisitions such as Ward, Ware, and Talib. Not to mention they'll be playing at home and ticked off after getting embarrassed in the Super Bowl. I think the Colts could win the game, but the secondary will have to step up much like they did in the Denver game last year. Man I really can't wait for the season to start.

Teams don't have a great record after getting beat in the Super Bowl 3-11 week 1 straight up 2-11-1 vs the spread depending on what you got the SF game at last year. The Super Bowl losers are on a bit of a rise winning the last 2 years or that number would be even uglier.

We can score on anyone.

Ware is coming of the worse yr of his career and a crazy elbow surgery. Von Miller a drug suspension and a Dec. ACL surgery. Ward still has a court date that could effect his wk 1 status probably won't but could. Lot's of new piece's on that D still learning to play together.

Think Moreno will be missed vs the blitz not exactly Ball's strength and he's been known to put the ball on the carpet. Obviously we can't blitz Manning a lot but we will test Ball.

We beat Denver last year. They are at home this time that is an advantage. It should be a really good game. If Holmes can play C I really like our chances. But it all starts up front.