Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive Linemen

seeblu

I don't agree at all with the poster complaining about Castonzo, but the 5th year option had to be picked up when it was, and it's only guaranteed for injury. So it only says that the team wants to preserve their option, not that they're convinced the player is worth it. 

Thanks for that bit of info.  I didn't not know that.

Honestly Coffee I think AC had his best year last year, & improves every year. I think this year will be his best. I know he does struggle with speed rush guys sometimes, but i think he his solid maybe not great, I am pleased? :dunno::scratch:

I agree.  It's not a top 5 or 10 but he is a top 15.  Like you said, he has improved every year and has shown no indication that he is going tos top improving.

I think too many expect end of career Tarik Glenn type results.  They forget that in year three of his career Tarik Glenn was considered a top 15 LT in the league and not elite by any stretch of the imagination.

I see 9 OL making the 53...

With starters as Castanzo, Thomas, Holmes, Thornton and Çherilus.

With Nixon as the back-up tackle and Mewhort, Louis and Reitz as the other back-ups.

If Mewhort isn't in the starting lineup I have a feeling he'll be the top backup at every spot on the offensive line.  By all accounts it looks like he can play all 5 spots.    

I know how it works. It's an optional pick up on an extra year with the team. The salary is based off of ranking from the what the 3 to 25 ranked player of the same position is making. And I tell you we had no other options at LT and 7.5 million was the better deal and that was all. He wasn't receiving an extension because the team is evaluating him as we move forward. If he plays great which I personally doubt then we'll keep him.

We didn't have to exercise the option. That would have been a real signal that the team doesn't desire to commit to him. So we could have let him play the final year of his deal with no 5th year option. 

To this point, zero first round picks from 2011 have received extensions. So the fact that AC hasn't been extended doesn't mean much. 

If Mewhort isn't in the starting lineup I have a feeling he'll be the top backup at every spot on the offensive line.  By all accounts it looks like he can play all 5 spots.    

I'm not sure it would be all 5 spots.    That would be asking a lot for a rookie,  but I can certainly see more than 1 spot.

So, he'd be the back-up to Thomas at LG and probably the back-up to Holmes at C.    Whether he's the back-up to Thornton at RG over Louis I don't know yet.     Too soon.

I'm also not sure he's got the feet to be the back-up Left Tackle.   I suspect that will go to Nixon or Reitz.