Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Dungy Disappointment

cbrennan1188

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/07/21/tony-dungy-michael-sam/12941579/

It's too bad that Dungy feels this way and I hope he does get backlash

Mod note: Please keep in mind the rules regarding political and religious discussions as you participate in this thread. Thanks in advance. -- Superman

Edited by Superman

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am unsure if he was taken out of context, which happens a lot. If it was in context and that's what he meant to say, to me, that's an extremely weak position for a man that is known to be accepting, forgiving and help people get a 2nd chance in life.

People need to stop being wimps... Seriously! Always find something to complain about!

Wow he said he wouldn't draft him... Big deal! Obviously there were a bunch of other Gm's this year that wouldn't either they just didn't come out and say it!

Tony said nothing wrong.. He even said he believes Michael Sam DOES deserve to play in the NFL.. He wouldn't have drafted him because of all of the distractions and drama surrounding him! Just like this! You and others are proving his point! People need to get some tougher skin and quit changing and assuming peoples words.. It's ridiculous! He doesn't have anything against gays. People just freak out over the SMALLEST of things it's crazy! haha

So no he doesn't deserve backlash but he will get it becuaae everyone thinks everything is racist or sexist now a days.... Rant over

People need to stop being wimps... Seriously! Always find something to complain about!

Wow he said he wouldn't draft him... Big deal! Obviously there were a bunch of other Gm's this year that wouldn't either they just didn't come out and say it!

Tony said nothing wrong.. He even said he believes Michael Sam DOES deserve to play in the NFL.. He wouldn't have drafted him because of all of the distractions and drama surrounding him! Just like this! You and others are proving his point! People need to get some tougher skin and quit changing and assuming peoples words.. It's ridiculous! He doesn't have anything against gays. People just freak out over the SMALLEST of things it's crazy! haha

So no he doesn't deserve backlash but he will get it becuaae everyone thinks everything is racist or sexist now a days.... Rant over

Well, there is a reason people write articles about stuff like this. And people obviously react to said articles such as OP. Then you have people that react to the reaction, such as yourself. Now you wonder why stuff like this is written and debated about? It's a very polarized subject.

As is OP, wouldn't you say?

I agree, but he's implying that Dungy is somehow wrong or should be apologetic for his stance. Out right saying, he hopes he gets backlash. He can say and think whatever he wants.

Exactly. And I'm sure as hell he wouldn't draft Manziel because he wouldn't want to deal with it all. What's wrong with avoiding the drama? People are too sensitive.

Pgt_rob, can you not understand how this might be different? Are people that party hard looked down upon by society? Was johnny football scared for his life to come out publicly to say he likes to party hard and love rolls of money? Also, there's the whole choice aspect.

As is OP, wouldn't you say?

BpG isn't hoping the OP suffers backlash for his comments either.

The only reason people are discussing this person is because he's gay.  If it wasn't for that, he wouldn't even have been drafted.  Based on the linked article the one that should suffer backlash for his comment is the Rams COO, trying to indicate that drafting a gay person is somehow establishing them as some sort of leader... despicable.

The next question should be would he have drafted Tebow?  There's another guy with a ton of distractions and media attention around him (and he can't play QB at all), but his "lifestyle" is one Dungy would approve.  If Dungy would have drafted Tebow, then he may not be truthful about the basis for his opinion on Michael Sam.

Not suprising. Dungy is a well-known homophobe.

I really don't like the term homophobia.  This isn't anything against you, Dustin, more something against the term and what it means/stands for.  Have you seen the Morgan Freeman tweet about the term "homophobia"?

Michael Sam and a thread about him, it is not going to end well.  :goodluck:

Michael Sam is very similar to Tim Tebow w.r.t entourage and media exposure (though for different reasons), and it is only going to get worse, much like Johnny Manziel. I can see why a GM would like to stay away from Michael Sam, much the same way that they wanted to stay away from Manziel.

On a footnote, I did not think he deserved the ESPY award for courage, it should have been given to someone who earned his stripes on the field like a Jason Collins or that Seattle player that was deaf and made the roster. The award was named after Arthur Ashe who earned a few accolades on the tennis court.

While I am unsure if he was taken out of context, which happens a lot. If it was in context and that's what he meant to say, to me, that's an extremely weak position for a man that is known to be accepting, forgiving and help people get a 2nd chance in life.

Honest question: When was Dungy known for being accepting, forgiving and helping people get a second chance? I remember him being known for being very conservative with player acquisition, pretty much to the exclusion of players with character concerns or other off field issues.

Honest question: When was Dungy known for being accepting, forgiving and helping people get a second chance? I remember him being known for being very conservative with player acquisition, pretty much to the exclusion of players with character concerns or other off field issues.

Michael Vick

The next question should be would he have drafted Tebow?  There's another guy with a ton of distractions and media attention around him (and he can't play QB at all), but his "lifestyle" is one Dungy would approve.  If Dungy would have drafted Tebow, then he may not be truthful about the basis for his opinion on Michael Sam.

I really don't like the term homophobia.  This isn't anything against you, Dustin, more something against the term and what it means/stands for.  Have you seen the Morgan Freeman tweet about the term "homophobia"?

That tweet was debunked, I believe.

Meh, I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with it. Do I agree on his stance? No...But I understand it. He just wouldn't want to deal with all the hoopla/media circus that follows surrounding Sam being gay and the potential for distraction with the team or the chance that it could cause issue with several players , Look at the media circus/twitter circus that it originally caused. The media is always hungry for a story and even more hungry to create one where there is not one (Im not one to think a man being gay even in the NFL is a story, This is 2014. It should not be a story). I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with what Dungy said but he should have known not to say it to a media outlet

I think people are talking about when he openly advocated for Vick after he got out of prison.  

The next question should be would he have drafted Tebow? There's another guy with a ton of distractions and media attention around him (and he can't play QB at all), but his "lifestyle" is one Dungy would approve. If Dungy would have drafted Tebow, then he may not be truthful about the basis for his opinion on Michael Sam.

I really don't like the term homophobia. This isn't anything against you, Dustin, more something against the term and what it means/stands for. Have you seen the Morgan Freeman tweet about the term "homophobia"?

No, I haven't. Do you have a link?

He publicly donates tens of thousands of dollars to anti-gay organizations.

Which ones? Just curious. Also, just because he donates money to organizations that do not agree with a homosexual lifestyle does not necessarily mean that he fears or hates homosexuals.

Honest question: When was Dungy known for being accepting, forgiving and helping people get a second chance? I remember him being known for being very conservative with player acquisition, pretty much to the exclusion of players with character concerns or other off field issues.

Ah yeah, I'm taking post coaching career. He wrote a book called "the mentor leader" which as you can imagine has many stories about the people he's mentored.

Which ones? Just curious. Also, just because he donates money to organizations that do not agree with a homosexual lifestyle does not necessarily mean that he fears or hates homosexuals.

Yeah, I agree.

Heck, our taxes are a great example of being diverted to causes we don't agree with. Just saying.

Ah yeah, I'm taking post coaching career. He wrote a book called "the mentor leader" which as you can imagine has many stories about the people he's mentored.

I have a copy. Read it. I still think in practice, Dungy would have been more excluding than including.

Pgt_rob, can you not understand how this might be different? Are people that party hard looked down upon by society? Was johnny football scared for his life to come out publicly to say he likes to party hard and love rolls of money? Also, there's the whole choice aspect.

Eh, it's drama either way.

Good point. That's one noteworthy example. However, in practice, Dungy probably wouldn't have been eager to sign Michael Vick, either. I'm just basing that on his record over many years as a head coach.

I believe you are probably correct, he may not have wanted to sign someone like Vick. Players that bring a media circus are usually not wanted by any coach, unless of course the player is good enough that their talent makes putting up with the circus worth it.