A Coach and 3 QBs to play a game for your life

Shane Bond

My picks.

Head Coach - Bill Belichick

1st half  QB - Tom Brady

2nd half QB - Peyton Manning ( OC )

Extra time    - Eli Manning

Backup       - John Elway

I am sure Joe Montana should be here but i really haven't seen him play. So i am going with the above.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My picks.

1st half QB - Tom Brady

Extra time - Eli Manning

Backup - John Elway

I am sure Joe Montana should be here but i really haven't seen him play. So i am going with the above.

I'd have to steal your team here.

3 people picked Eli Manning? 

tumblr_inline_mozjsnApgE1qz4rgp.jpg

Say what you want, he does play with ice in his veins when the going gets tough. Yeah, the sample space is smaller than Elway, Montana, Brady and Peyton but he does make the big plays when his team needs them.

Before 2000

Vince Lombardi

First half - Brett Favre

Second half - Brett Favre

Extra time - Brett Favre

After 2000

Bill Belichik

First half - Peyton Manning

Second half - Tom Brady

Extra time - Eli Manning

Lombardi would not have tolerated Favre's gunslinging ways for a second much less the whole game.

My picks.

1st half  QB - Tom Brady

Extra time    - Eli Manning

Backup       - John Elway

What no Rex?

"Do I think that I'm a great coach? I absolutely know I'm a great coach," Ryan told the New York Daily News

Lombardi would not have tolerated Favre's gunslinging ways for a second much less the whole game.

There is a misconception about Lombardi's Packers. They weren't all smashmouth. Lombardi basically invented the playaction philosophy that is used today (meaning not just playaction that has been setup by previous runs, but playaction and a deep pass on 4th and inches).

That offense also included WR Don Hutson who led the league in receiving for 8 of his 11 years, and held a ton of career records for a long time as what many consider to be the world's first modern WR.

Favre would have balled. Even if he wouldn't have, Lombardi would have put up with it. He put up with his own Packers who stunk until he got them in gear.

Since this seems to be based more on offense (since we are only picking offensive players), I would take Sean Payton as my coach.

The score matters more to me than the half, so I'm choosing my QBs a little differently:

Playing with the lead: Peyton Manning

Playing without the lead: Andrew Luck

Close Game: Aaron Rodgers

Since this seems to be based more on offense (since we are only picking offensive players), I would take Sean Payton as my coach.

The score matters more to me than the half, so I'm choosing my QBs a little differently:

Playing with the lead: Peyton Manning

Playing without the lead: Andrew Luck

Close Game: Aaron Rodgers

That is interesting. I think Peyton Manning is the best come-from-behind QB in NFL history.

That is interesting. I think Peyton Manning is the best come-from-behind QB in NFL history.

He has a lot of great come-from-behind victories, but most of the ones I remember were sparked by the defense.  I think he's great at playing catch up, but his ability to close out games is incredible.  His ability to diagnose defenses and call audibles leading to extended drives is amazing.  I see Peyton truly shine when he is asked to eat up clock.

He's 2-0 in the big game where his GOAT brother chokes it away in the big one.

So apparently, we are taking the boxing gloves off in round 1. LOL! Okay, I just didn't think we were gonna start there from square one Bogie. Ouch! Get the smelling salt ready. I do admire your bravery though. 

Last time. we had a similar premise CR91 proposed our house was on the line with 1 hail mary TD throw & now our life hangs in the balance with 3 QBs for 1 NFL game. Hmmm...

HC [Not 1 yet but he should be] Rob Ryan DC of the New Orleans...If you force me to pick a current HC, I will go with HC Ken Whisenhunt. I like both men's killer instinct & compulsion to win. 

Philip Rivers

Aaron Rogers

Jim Kelly

Last time. we had a similar premise CR91 proposed our house was on the line with 1 hail mary TD throw & now our life hangs in the balance with 3 QBs for 1 NFL game. Hmmm...

HC [Not 1 yet but he should be] Rob Ryan DC of the New Orleans...If you force me to pick a current HC, I will go with HC Ken Whisenhunt. I like both men's killer instinct & compulsion to win.

Philip Rivers

Aaron Rogers

Jim Kelly

This is your all time list? Really?

This is your all time list? Really?

First of all, the directions were if my life depended on it or "to play a game for your life." Where in those guidelines, does it specify construct the best NFL HOF list exactly? It doesn't. 

It's my life on the line here; not yours. This is my list. My choice. I don't need to qualify my selection process to you or anybody else for that matter. Did I call into questions your choices? Nope. 

First of all, the directions were if my life depended on it or "to play a game for your life." Where in those guidelines, does it specify construct the best NFL HOF list exactly? It doesn't.

It's my life on the line here; not yours. This is my list. My choice. I don't need to qualify my selection process to you or anybody else for that matter. Do I call into questions your choices? Nope.

The entire idea of a forum is exactly to ask/call into question these type of things.

I sure hope you're life never depends on those selections.

You must have a death wish..

Rob Ryan and Philip Rivers..... really???

The entire idea of a forum is exactly to ask/call into question these type of things.

I sure hope you're life never depends on those selections.

You must have a death wish..

Rob Ryan and Philip Rivers..... really???

You can question my choices. That is your right. But any fool can pick HOF QBs. Where is the challenge in that? No, my fool comment is not directed at you specifically because you know your football & your analysis from years past proves you know what you are talking about. 

Yes, I admire Rob Ryan's go for the jugular mentality & Philip Rivers darn near beat the Broncos this season almost playing in the AFC Championship Game.  If you deny that, you're lying to yourself Jvan. He's do for a breakout year.

Death wishes don't scare me in the slightest...Before you start throwing around a DOA inference, maybe you should tell Peyton Manning to honestly answer SB performance questions. Yes 18 is an exceptional HOF QB who clearly thinks he's above an SB criticism & refuses to answer legitimate questions. JMO. 

Are you questioning that Philip Rivers can't win 1 game? Please...LOL! Anybody can select HOF players to save their caboose. The key is to select high caliber solid QBs & coaches who can still get the job done Jvan. 

Give me Vince Lombardi as a coach.

Then since everything is on the line all I need is Joe Montana because he always won the big game unlike some of the other chumps. Throw in Jim Kelly for sentimental reasons... and since it is for my own life once we are up by 28+ points I'll put myself in so I can take all the credit in the end.

You can question my choices. That is your right. But any fool can pick HOF QBs. Where is the challenge in that? No, my fool comment is not directed at you specifically because you know your football & your analysis from years past proves you know what you are talking about.

Yes, I admire Rob Ryan's go for the jugular mentality & Philip Rivers darn near beat the Broncos this season almost playing in the AFC Championship Game. If you deny that, you're lying to yourself Jvan. He's do for a breakout year.

Death wishes don't scare me in the slightest...Before you start throwing around a DOA inference, maybe you should tell Peyton Manning to honestly answer SB performance questions. Yes 18 is an exceptional HOF QB who clearly thinks he's above an SB criticism & refuses to answer legitimate questions. JMO.

Are you questioning that Philip Rivers can't win 1 game? Please...LOL! Anybody can select HOF players to save their caboose. The key is to select high caliber solid QBs & coaches who can still get the job done Jvan.

phillip rivers has almost done a lot of things. But he and his team always come up short. As to peyton not answering questions about his superbowl performance, can you please provide me a link where any superbowl losing qb has gone into depth about their performance after losing in the biggest game of the season

Thanks, I'll be waiting

phillip rivers has almost done a lot of things. But he and his team always come up short. As to peyton not answering questions about his superbowl performance, can you please provide me a link where any superbowl losing qb has gone into depth about their performance after losing in the biggest game of the season

Thanks, I'll be waiting

Can you please tell me why the #1 QB in the NFL thinks he doesn't have to judge his own role in a SB loss? Asking me to provide you a link revealing what every losing SB QB said about losing is "protecting Manning once again." Are you getting paid for this? You should. How hard is it for Peyton to say I did not play well in February, I had an off night, & as the most cerebral QB in the NFL I cannot be excused completely from discussing my own role in this loss. It's laughable actually. 

I'm not saying 18 is not a HOF QB. I'm not saying the loss was all his fault. The o-line, defense, & WR's all played a role in the loss. Not to mention "the legion of boom."

What I am saying is this: What the hades is 18 afraid of & why should the face of the NFL be pardoned from talking about his participation in the SB outcome? Peyton is a great influence in many ways: What he does in terms of charity & fundraising in the community, his work ethic & making teammates better around him, his hilarious career as a pitch man, his loyalty to his family & the cities he plays for, his humility in congratulating the Seahawks after their victory, but none of these noble acts excuses him from answering 3 simple questions: Why do you think you lost the SB? Are you confident you did everything in your power to win this game? If you face this rival again in the SB, will the result be different & please tell me why? Thank you. 

Can you please tell me why the #1 QB in the NFL thinks he doesn't have to judge his own role in a SB loss? Asking me to provide you a link revealing what every losing SB QB said about losing is "protecting Manning once again." Are you getting paid for this? You should. How hard is it for Peyton to say I did not play well in February, I had an off night, & as the most cerebral QB in the NFL I cannot be excused completely from discussing my own role in this loss. It's laughable actually.

I'm not saying 18 is not a HOF QB. I'm not saying the loss was all his fault. The o-line, defense, & WR's all played a role in the loss. Not to mention "the legion of boom."

What I am saying is this: What the hades is 18 afraid of & why should the face of the NFL be pardoned from talking about his participation in the SB outcome? Peyton is a great influence in many ways: What he does in terms of charity & fundraising in the community, his work ethic & making teammates better around him, his hilarious career as a pitch man, his loyalty to his family & the cities he plays for, his humility in congratulating the Seahawks after their victory, but none of these noble acts excuses him from answering 3 simple questions: Why do you think you lost the SB? Are you confident you did everything in your power to win this game? If you face this rival again in the SB, will the result be different & please tell me why? Thank you.

In my opinion he did address it. What you are liking for, no qb doea after a loss in the superbowl. Obviously you found that out while looking for such videos

Give me Vince Lombardi as a coach.

Then since everything is on the line all I need is Joe Montana because he always won the big game unlike some of the other chumps. Throw in Jim Kelly for sentimental reasons... and since it is for my own life once we are up by 28+ points I'll put myself in so I can take all the credit in the end.

I respect Joe but he blew some games, just like other Hof quarterbacks (Vikings upset, Giants blowout and sophomore slump season yes even Joe Cool had 1). Speaking of Hofers, Joe had like 65 of them on his team along with second tier guys who made the Pro Bowl almost every year.

In my opinion he did address it. What you are liking for, no qb doea after a loss in the superbowl. Obviously you found that out while looking for such videos

Clearly, you & I will never see eye to eye on this issue. That's fine friends can disagree. I have no problem with that.  Making up a bait & switch gimmick [your find other videos comment] is just crazy & a shield 18 ploy. LOL! I had no idea Manning needed so many bodyguards. Sigh...

No, Peyton did not address his role in the SB loss. That is a pure fabrication. We lost or Seattle dominated tonight does nothing to address Peyton's performance for 3 hours on February 2, 2014. Let's get real here.

Our best hope here is that 18 wins a 2nd ring in Denver which makes this whole disagreement moot. 

Clearly, you & I will never see eye to eye on this issue. That's fine friends can disagree. I have no problem with that.  Making up a bait & switch gimmick [your find other videos comment] is just crazy & a shield 18 ploy. LOL! I had no idea Manning needed so many bodyguards. Sigh...

No, Peyton did not address his role in the SB loss. That is a pure fabrication. We lost or Seattle dominated tonight does nothing to address Peyton's performance for 3 hours on February 2, 2014. Let's get real here.

Our best hope here is that 18 wins a 2nd ring in Denver which makes this whole disagreement moot. 

SW1 - My friend.

Believe me i am with you on this. We discussed this right before the SB as well. Enough of excuses, just go win. For some reason, its just not happening. 

That first interception to Chancellor could have been avoided. He tried to fit the ball in. And the 4th down conversion with DT was way off. Those 2 stands out to him. I am sure every game and every QB want some plays to be back.

But he did step up against Chargers and Pats, so we got to give him that.

SW1 - My friend.

Believe me i am with you on this. We discussed this right before the SB as well. Enough of excuses, just go win. For some reason, its just not happening. 

That first interception to Chancellor could have been avoided. He tried to fit the ball in. And the 4th down conversion with DT was way off. Those 2 stands out to him. I am sure every game and every QB want some plays to be back.

But he did step up against Chargers and Pats, so we got to give him that.

Bingo! Shane nailed it. Yes, Peyton played fantastic against the Chargers & the Patriots, but for some unknown reason, the SB appears to be 18's most recent achilles heel. I will acknowledge openly that Decker played like a wuss & Peyton couldn't be expected to win or dig out of this huge hole with just Wes Welker & Knowshon Moreno alone.

I agree that Chancellor pick was horrendous. I'm hoping our pickups of TJ Ward, DeMarcus Ware, & Aqib Talib will help give Manning a short field generating some Denver turnovers of our own.  I am reasonable. I know that 18 needs some caboose kicking dawgs on defense. Woof! I know that. 

It gives no pleasure to highlight Manning hiccups, but I do it because I want these weaknesses dealt with so Peyton can acquire that 2nd elusive ring. Call it tough love if you want. Thanks for your support Shane. 

I have no issue with fans being loyal to 18; I just don't live in the excuses world. What's the problem, fix it, & get that 2nd Lombardi trophy. 

The strange thing is this: Sometimes, I think Peyton is too analytical for his own good & needs to take a page from the Brett Favre gunslinger playbook. You can get burned yes but once in a while calculated, recklessness is a good thing & I wanna see Manning on the sidelines pumping up his troops. That image of him wearing his helmet in silence at SB losses just rubs me the wrong way. I wanna see some anger & some visible fire & furry. JMO. 

I'm not saying that Peyton isn't competitive. I know he is exceptionally driven. I just wanna see that 18 is human & that he gets ticked off. Yes, every QB has their own style. I get that.