Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

peps offense

OLD FAN MAN

Only time will tell IMO, no one really knows... I think it has the potential to be a pass first high flying offense, however if they come out during the season being able to run the ball effectively it could be different. We saw everything from a conservative O last year to a non conservative one. I don't know if the preseason will give us much insight either. That being said, I sure as heck can't wait!!!

Go Colts!!!!!

Only time will tell IMO, no one really knows... I think it has the potential to be a pass first high flying offense, however if they come out during the season being able to run the ball effectively it could be different. We saw everything from a conservative O last year to a non conservative one. I don't know if the preseason will give us much insight either. That being said, I sure as heck can't wait!!!

Go Colts!!!!!

It IS indeed unpredictable...which is a good thing.

I think.

I just hope that around Week 8 we're not all saying this....

We will pass to open up the run, I'm fairly convinced. The brilliance that Luck showed once we opened the floodgates due to ineffectiveness and injury at the end of the season cannot be ignored. Let the man run the offense, Luck will know what plays to call.

I think Pep will want to show teams that we can run the ball, and will run the ball, to keep defenses guessing. The Colts had a major focus last year, and probably again this year, and that is to keep turnovers down. The more you run, the less turnovers plus if we short pass too much, they are more likely to jump a route. The amount of running will be dependent on the team we are playing. I can see us airing it out against the Broncos, especially if they score early or we don't have immediate success running the ball.

I think Pep will want to show teams that we can run the ball, and will run the ball, to keep defenses guessing. The Colts had a major focus last year, and probably again this year, and that is to keep turnovers down. The more you run, the less turnovers plus if we short pass too much, they are more likely to jump a route. The amount of running will be dependent on the team we are playing. I can see us airing it out against the Broncos, especially if they score early or we don't have immediate success running the ball.

I think our interior OL is going to dictate this -- if Holmes is a big improvement over Satele (I don't see how he can be much worse), if Thornton is stronger (sounds like he is), and if Mewhort can road-grade like he did in college (or if D. Thomas is back and fully healthy to outcompete one of those 2), I think we will try to use the run to set up the pass vs. Denver.  The best way to beat a Peyton Manning team is to keep the ball out of Peyton's hands -- if we can kill some clock with a power run game and possession receiving game and use that to open up some big plays to TY or Moncrief I think we will be inclined to go with that approach.  Luckily for us, if we can't establish the run, we should have enough weapons for Andrew to utilize pretty much anywhere on the field (TY/Moncrief/Rogers/Nicks can be huge down-field threats, I think Fleener will emerge as a downfield threat with Allen and Reggie, as well as Nicks and T-Rich/Bradshaw to be very good possession targets to gain short yards to move the chains).

I just hope Havili, Harvey or whoever the FB happens to be, is on the sidelines for the majority of snaps.

Put another WR out there instead.

I hope there's no FB period on the 53. Could use that spot for a more important position like DB depth or DL depth

Maybe even QB depth cause that Andrew Luck kid is just terrible :barf:

I hope there's no FB period on the 53. Could use that spot for a more important position like DB depth or DL depth

Maybe even QB depth cause that Andrew Luck kid is just terrible :barf:

I wouldn't mind us keeping Harvey as he can be emergency LB depth if needed and he is a special team stud.

Don't want Harvey at LB, he's horrible

I'm hoping him & Sheppard are cut or traded this year

Grigson's trading rights have been revoked for 2 seasons. Even as bad Sheppard is, I'm still not even entirely confident that Grigson could win a trade shipping him out. He'd somehow find a way for us to still lose draft picks

Grigson's trading rights have been revoked for 2 seasons. Even as bad Sheppard is, I'm still not even entirely confident that Grigson could win a trade shipping him out. He'd somehow find a way for us to still lose draft picks

Cowboys desperately need help at LB, give them Sheppard for a 6th or 7th and I don't see how we lose that trade unless Grigson doesn't hit on that draft pick or trades that pick for a bum 

Don't want Harvey at LB, he's horrible

I'm hoping him & Sheppard are cut or traded this year

Harvey is a very good ST'er. I would rather us not keep a FB, especially if we are going to keep 4 TE's as Mike Wells predicts, but if we do keep a FB, I think Harvey would be more valuable than Havili. Harvey was very raw at LB, he is an athlete though and could be an emergency option there if needed, whereas Havili is not that great at FB and is pretty much worthless everywhere else.

I wonder if he got that memo  :rollseyes:

I don't mind him wanting to run the ball but he has to recognize what his Oline can and can't do.  Last year they couldn't block anyone and yet be never adjusted until there was anarchy in Lucas Oil Stadium.  Let's hope that he learned some lessons after last season with his play calling.

I think our interior OL is going to dictate this -- if Holmes is a big improvement over Satele (I don't see how he can be much worse), if Thornton is stronger (sounds like he is), and if Mewhort can road-grade like he did in college (or if D. Thomas is back and fully healthy to outcompete one of those 2), I think we will try to use the run to set up the pass vs. Denver.  The best way to beat a Peyton Manning team is to keep the ball out of Peyton's hands -- if we can kill some clock with a power run game and possession receiving game and use that to open up some big plays to TY or Moncrief I think we will be inclined to go with that approach.  Luckily for us, if we can't establish the run, we should have enough weapons for Andrew to utilize pretty much anywhere on the field (TY/Moncrief/Rogers/Nicks can be huge down-field threats, I think Fleener will emerge as a downfield threat with Allen and Reggie, as well as Nicks and T-Rich/Bradshaw to be very good possession targets to gain short yards to move the chains).

TWO wise men.

Harvey is a very good ST'er. I would rather us not keep a FB, especially if we are going to keep 4 TE's as Mike Wells predicts, but if we do keep a FB, I think Harvey would be more valuable than Havili. Harvey was very raw at LB, he is an athlete though and could be an emergency option there if needed, whereas Havili is not that great at FB and is pretty much worthless everywhere else.

I had hopes for Harvey as a LB`er but last season he had to be 10-15 lbs heavier and was the slowest, most uncoordinated LB`er i have ever seen in 40+ years.

He was short yardage ONLY. But his girth and straight ahead blocking might be VG on short yardage. lol