Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 surprise/sleeper team [Merge]

CR91

mine is the vikings. I believe they finally got a good QB in teddy bridgewater. obviously his pro day dropped his stock, but he has the tools to be a good qb in this league and hes the perfect compliment for peterson as his speed will keep defenses honest. also they have who I think will be a star in this league in patterson. you get this kid in space and he can do great things. mike zimmer who imo is the most underated coach in this league and im happy he finally got a HC job will get that defense consistently in the top 10 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all are gonna hate me but... the Jags.

They have a HC with a vision and that vision is starting to become a reality.

I don't know how many games they will win but if they keep the score close... I will be convinced.

I really like the Bears but I just can't fit them in the playoffs.

I don't like the Lions under Caldwell.

I like Tampa but I need at least a year to consider them a playoff contender.

Bridgewater wins ROY and Vikes go .500.

Atlanta and Houston both bounce back, winning the playoffs.

Miami goes 2-14 and holds the first overall pick.

I really like the Bears but I just can't fit them in the playoffs. You'll find a way.

I don't like the Lions under Caldwell. Agreed but, watch us be way off.

I like Tampa but I need at least a year to consider them a playoff contender. NFC South is tough so you're probably right.

Bridgewater wins ROY and Vikes go .500. Sounds about right but I hope for more.

Atlanta and Houston both bounce back, winning the playoffs. Winning the Playoffs?

Miami goes 2-14 and holds the first overall pick. Miami, yes... but, I doubt any team goes 2-14 this year.

mine is the vikings. I believe they finally got a good QB in teddy bridgewater. obviously his pro day dropped his stock, but he has the tools to be a good qb in this league and hes the perfect compliment for peterson as his speed will keep defenses honest. also they have who I think will be a star in this league in patterson. you get this kid in space and he can do great things. mike zimmer who imo is the most underated coach in this league and im happy he finally got a HC job will get that defense consistently in the top 10

From your lips (or your fingertips) to God's ear! There is a lot of optimism in Viking land. However, we probably will not make the playoffs this coming season.

I think Detroit will be the surprise team.

I am not sure how big of a surprise it is but I like Arizona they barely missed the playoffs last year finished 6-2 in their last 8. I am not completely sold on Palmer if they had a more consistent QB look out. Their 2 losses were at Philly by a fg and SF by a fg. I think that is going to be a tough division as I expect Fisher have the Rams competitive too.

I think the Cardinals find a way into the playoffs. Arians is a good coach we all got a close up look at that.

I think the Eagles are going to do some damage this year. I think Foles is the real deal, and under Chip, he is going to develop into even a better QB. 

Not looking forward to playing them Sep 15th. 

Not sure if that counts as a surprise since they made the playoffs last year.  But I'm with you here, they are a dangerous team.  

Chargers taking the west would be a

Mega surprise :).

I don't know, they came pretty close last year lol. But Rivers is a very good quarterback and he and that offense will be one heck of a force again I think. They matched up pretty well with the Broncos in 2013, we'll see if they can build on that this year.

Chargers taking the west would be a

Mega surprise :).

So will the Pats losing the AFC East.

I agree with MrNLM, Jags will be like what the Arizona Cardinals were last year, a pesky team that will keep games close though barely missing the playoffs.

Arizona Cardinals, on the other hand, might win the NFC West. Now, them making the playoffs may not be a huge surprise but if they win the NFC West, it will be a surprise.

Seahawks do have tough games starting off vs Packers and Broncos at home, vs Chargers on the road. Then, towards the end, they have road games at 49ers, at Eagles, at Cardinals. I know their DL is good but having lost Red Bryant, Chris Clemons and another important piece like one of the best slot CBs in Walter Thurmond might hurt them in the long run, I feel. Teams will be gunning for them, like they are gunning for the SB champs and games like the Texans road game that they won last year could be games they could lose this year, IMO. That is why I feel that there is a chance they may not win the NFC West.

Every team in the AFC South. They were so bad last year, they have to get better. Two of them switched head coaches. Two of them have new QBs (or will). The Texans severely underperformed, but still have a strong roster. The Titans looked good with Locker, but he has to stay healthy. The Jags have added some nice players the last couple years, and I like Gus Bradley's approach. The Colts are still the best team, easily, but I think the Texans and Titans are both good enough to make the playoffs.

Not sure if that counts as a surprise since they made the playoffs last year.  But I'm with you here, they are a dangerous team.  

I suppose it's not surprising you are right. I think they go deep in the playoffs though. 

Plus they have Sproles now (Colts kryptonite) Yeesh

Every team in the AFC South. They were so bad last year, they have to get better. Two of them switched head coaches. Two of them have new QBs (or will). The Texans severely underperformed, but still have a strong roster. The Titans looked good with Locker, but he has to stay healthy. The Jags have added some nice players the last couple years, and I like Gus Bradley's approach. The Colts are still the best team, easily, but I think the Texans and Titans are both good enough to make the playoffs.

If the Texans can find a QB their team looks scary.  Given time and some luck with injuries and I could see the Texans defense molding into an epic defense like the 70's Steelers, 85 Bears, '00 Ravens, '02 Bucs and '13 Seahawks.  

If the Texans can find a QB their team looks scary.  Given time and some luck with injuries and I could see the Texans defense molding into an epic defense like the 70's Steelers, 85 Bears, '00 Ravens, '02 Bucs and '13 Seahawks.  

If they come together at safety, that defense will be very, very tough. And then if Louis Nix can stay healthy, their front will get even better. They already have the best defensive player in the league.

The QB is the key, but if they're even just a touch better there, they should be a 7 win team. They had so many bad turnovers last year, but they still played the Seahawks, Colts, Chiefs, Cardinals and Pats tough; all those games were decided by three points or less. 

For teams to do surprisingly well, I'll take the Rams for the NFC and the Chargers for the AFC.

I don't know if this counts, but I expect the Cowboys to be terrible.  For some reason, that always comes as a surprise to Cowboys fans.

For teams to do surprisingly well, I'll take the Rams for the NFC and the Chargers for the AFC.

I don't know if this counts, but I expect the Cowboys to be terrible.  For some reason, that always comes as a surprise to Cowboys fans.

I want to like the Rams, but a) Bradford can't/hasn't stayed healthy, and b) Jeff Fisher has a reputation for mediocrity (two winning seasons in nine years, no playoff wins). I wouldn't be surprised if they drop 11 wins, but I also wouldn't be surprised if have 11 losses.

The Steelers run away with the NFC North

I don't see any team "running away" with that division.  They are all so close in talent, that I don't even see an AFC North team winning more than four division games.  I wouldn't be surprised if they all split 3-3.  I will admit that I am curious to see what LeBeau schemes for Shazier.  That is what I consider a perfect player for a perfect scheme, and LeBeau is gonna have some crafty blitzes for him.

I don't see any team "running away" with that division.  They are all so close in talent, that I don't even see an AFC North team winning more than four division games.  I wouldn't be surprised if they all split 3-3.  I will admit that I am curious to see what LeBeau schemes for Shazier.  That is what I consider a perfect player for a perfect scheme, and LeBeau is gonna have some crafty blitzes for him.

Oh look it's Owain! SWORD HAND TWITCHES!!!!

Owain needs no aid but I must say, I agree on Pittsburgh rising and having a 12-4 season. They will have to put up with the Bengals or Ravens fighting them for it, but those guys are someone that don't go down easily. They rarely ever stay out of the playoffs and I expect them to be more hungry for it this year.

I want to like the Rams, but a) Bradford can't/hasn't stayed healthy, and b) Jeff Fisher has a reputation for mediocrity (two winning seasons in nine years, no playoff wins). I wouldn't be surprised if they drop 11 wins, but I also wouldn't be surprised if have 11 losses.

To be fair on Jeff Fisher's part he had to put up with a horrible owner constantly holding him back and making decisions from up top. Now he don't have an owner with a god complex or to deal with things like Vince Young.

That defense he has put together in St. Louis is scary. If they develop a strong running game like he did in Tennessee's early years under McNair, they won't even need a quarterback. Their defense alone does most of the work in punishment.

St Louis isn't about the QB anymore.  The D-Line will be BRUTAL, and the O-Line finally shows some promise and talent.  I see them winning 10 or 11 games (losses to SEA x2, SF x2, AZ x1, DEN).

Atlanta and Houston both bounce back, winning the playoffs.

I know you guys love Atlanta cause their your little beacon of hope of someone beating the Saints, but their playoff record alone answers for itself. Take away Pete Carroll's horrible timeout at the kick and Matty Ice (heart melting chokefests) would still be winless in the playoffs.

To be fair on Jeff Fisher's part he had to put up with a horrible owner constantly holding him back and making decisions from up top. Now he don't have an owner with a god complex or to deal with things like Vince Young.

That defense he has put together in St. Louis is scary. If they develop a strong running game like he did in Tennessee's early years under McNair, they won't even need a quarterback. Their defense alone does most of the work in punishment.

I think Fisher was on the wrong side of the Vince Young debate, so I don't really agree. Not that Young was anything special, but as soon as they played him, they started winning games.

I mostly agree about the defense, but they were nasty last year, and only won 7 games. You have to have a really special defense, and a top 5 running game, in order to make up for deficient QBing, and even then, you're still going to be hard-pressed to really win anything. Thinking back to the 2009-2010 Jets, they had the #1 run game, and the #1 run defense, and they forced turnovers, and they still only won 9 and 11 games, and got beat in the playoffs by teams with better QBing. If Bradford is healthy, then the Rams are probably legit. But that's a big "if," given his history.

And again, I'm not a believer in Jeff Fisher, so even with a healthy Bradford, I have my doubts.

I know you guys love Atlanta cause their your little beacon of hope of someone beating the Saints, but their playoff record alone answers for itself. Take away Pete Carroll's horrible timeout at the kick and Matty Ice (heart melting chokefests) would still be winless in the playoffs.

What makes you think anyone cares about beating the Saints?

Oh look it's Owain! SWORD HAND TWITCHES!!!!

Ha!  I had to switch out my old pic (Cid Highwind) for something more recent.  I eventually want to find a pic with a different hair color (he hasn't been a blonde in any of my playthroughs).

I know you guys love Atlanta cause they're your little beacon of hope of someone beating the Saints, but their playoff record alone answers for itself. Take away Pete Carroll's horrible timeout at the kick and Matty Ice (heart melting chokefests) would still be winless in the playoffs.

After last season, I would no longer consider the Falcons a threat to the Saints.  Even with their cap situation, I think the Saints improved this offseason.

St Louis isn't about the QB anymore.  The D-Line will be BRUTAL, and the O-Line finally shows some promise and talent.  I see them winning 10 or 11 games (losses to SEA x2, SF x2, AZ x1, DEN).

See my above post to Bogie. What's better about the Rams defense this year, compared to last? The defense wasn't good enough to make up for their deficient QBing last year, not consistently enough for them to have a winning record. Their offensive line was improved from 2012; how much better does it have to be for them to win an extra four games?

I just think there's a reason NFL coaches and execs make such a big deal out of having a good QB and trying to attack the opposing QB. Good QBing is key, and while sometimes a team can make some noise without one, it's rare. 

you are literally the only one here who cares one way or the other about the saints