Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

another notch for the marvelous one

CR91

future hof cb champ bailey chose marvin as the toughest wr to cover along with giving credit to peyton as stated,"A lot has to do with the quarterback, so I'm gonna think about the guy who gave me the most problems, because I played him a lot, was Marvin Harrsion. He was dangerous, and then he had a dangerous arm throwing him the ball, so it was tough both ways. He's definitely up there.... It's a lot about the guy throwing him the ball as well, but he was quick, fast, I mean, he could do it all."

I've heard multiple CBs say the first 10 yards of all of Marvin's routes looked the exact same, so it was impossible to jump his routes.  In my humble, somewhat ignorant opinion, Marvin is the 2nd best receiver of all time and the best route runner of all time.  Just look at how badly the DBs get beat.  I honestly feel a little bad for them

T.Y Hilton=Marvin Harrison ...keep it up ty you will break the monsters record!

i see the similarities. Small, fast, and despite what many may know/think, TY is an excellent route runner. TY is both fast and quick whereas I think

Harrison was more quick than fast, though he was fast too. And in terms of the technicalities of the position it's doubtful TY will ever match Marvin's hands and route running prowess but we've still got something special!

i see the similarities. Small, fast, and despite what many may know/think, TY is an excellent route runner. TY is both fast and quick whereas I think

Harrison was more quick than fast, though he was fast too. And in terms of the technicalities of the position it's doubtful TY will ever match Marvin's hands and route running prowess but we've still got something special!

yea ty has good hands, marvin has marvelous hands see what i did there

One thing I did notice in that video was how much time Peyton had to set & throw. If we can somehow give Luck this kind of time

we could have several receivers with similar highlight videos.

Not taking anything away from Marvin at all. He was a GREAT route runner, fast & great hands. Just couldn't help noticing how

well protected Peyton was, at least in that collection of plays.

I believe Reggie Wayne has always felt overlooked because he was clearly second banana to Marvin.  Reggie is a Hall of Famer but Peyton Manning's second choice always.  Even after Marvin left, he never seemed to have the rapport with Manning.  The only time I remember Reggie complaining was after the 2011 playoff loss to the Jets when he was targeted once in the game. "I shouldn't have even suited up," said Reggie. In my opinion, one of the reasons he stayed with the Colts when Luck arrived was that he would be the clear #1 and in addition could go after Marvin's records.  Luck thinks he is great.  Greater than Marvin?  I don't know what Andrew thinks but I am guessing the answer is "Yes," in Reggie's secret thoughts.

I've heard multiple CBs say the first 10 yards of all of Marvin's routes looked the exact same, so it was impossible to jump his routes. In my humble, somewhat ignorant opinion, Marvin is the 2nd best receiver of all time and the best route runner of all time. Just look at how badly the DBs get beat. I honestly feel a little bad for them

Those defensive backs were on skates the whole time!!! Some of this cuts were so nasty!!

I've heard multiple CBs say the first 10 yards of all of Marvin's routes looked the exact same, so it was impossible to jump his routes.  In my humble, somewhat ignorant opinion, Marvin is the 2nd best receiver of all time and the best route runner of all time.  Just look at how badly the DBs get beat.  I honestly feel a little bad for them

This video just reminded me how lucky we are to be colts fans. Peyton to Marvin was such a thing of beauty, two of the very best at their positions.

This is so funny - when I suggested that TY was the next Marvin, many MANY months ago, you would have thought I was gonna be thrown off the board. Even though I proved with real time stats how TY was actually ahead of Marvin in his first two years in the league. I even got the dreaded "Dear God" as I recall, which still makes me chuckle.

I suggested that Brazil was also another Marvin - which we all clearly saw, but only in the playoffs - where he was exceptional. 

I still stand by my original evaluation. Brazil alienated a lot of good folks on this board by his suspension - which ate him alive and put him behind. That doesn't make him a loser - not yet. Let him get some time in service and my instincts are - he will shine as bright as TY.

But I still stand by my original suggestions.

Clear your mind for a moment - IF Brazil turned out to be in the same class as TY - can you imagine ANY defense having to cover TWO Marvins?

I pity them - not to mention the rest of our WR/TE/RB arsenal.

ColtsHappy

marvin is my favorite player of all time...he has always reminded me of a mini jerry rice more then anyone else

This is so funny - when I suggested that TY was the next Marvin, many MANY months ago, you would have thought I was gonna be thrown off the board. Even though I proved with real time stats how TY was actually ahead of Marvin in his first two years in the league. I even got the dreaded "Dear God" as I recall, which still makes me chuckle.

I suggested that Brazil was also another Marvin - which we all clearly saw, but only in the playoffs - where he was exceptional. 

I still stand by my original evaluation. Brazil alienated a lot of good folks on this board by his suspension - which ate him alive and put him behind. That doesn't make him a loser - not yet. Let him get some time in service and my instincts are - he will shine as bright as TY.

Clear your mind for a moment - IF Brazil turned out to be in the same class as TY - can you imagine ANY defense having to cover TWO Marvins?

ColtsHappy

I love the enthusiasm. Believe me brother. I do dig it.

That said; we need to have some form of realism on this board. Marvin Harrison's don't just grow on trees. I enjoy watching TY, and I believe Brazil is a good WR; however, the chances of either ever becoming as good as Marvin Harrison is slim to none, and slim left the building long before I typed this.

Marvin Harrison is a top 5 receiver to ever play this game. Ever in the NFL.

TY is fun to watch; however, it is impressively clear that he is not in Marvin's league.

ColtsHappy

From 99 to 06 Marvin was one of the most dominant players in the history of the league. I love TY, but he has a long way to go before being compared to Marvin

I love the enthusiasm. Believe me brother. I do dig it.

That said; we need to have some form of realism on this board. Marvin Harrison's don't just grow on trees. I enjoy watching TY, and I believe Brazil is a good WR; however, the chances of either ever becoming as good as Marvin Harrison is slim to none, and slim left the building long before I typed this.

Marvin Harrison is a top 5 receiver to ever play this game. Ever in the NFL.

TY is fun to watch; however, it is impressively clear that he is not in Marvin's league.

From 99 to 06 Marvin was one of the most dominant players in the history of the league. I love TY, but he has a long way to go before being compared to Marvin

This is so much fun - EXACTLY the kind of crap I got last time I suggested this. Realism. Right.

I will say this loudly and proudly.

We will see what we will see and the truth is the truth is the truth.

I have every right to my opinion and of course, you have very right to yours and I welcome it. It's fun to agree to disagree.

It's a magical mystery tour my friends, and whether you have noticed it or not - there is a clumping together on all significant issues like bees on honey on this board.  There is a certain segment on the board (the ones who consider themselves the ones "in the know") that love to pat each other on the back and basically grin and agree on many MANY issues.  I wish I had the time and energy to go back and point out how many times the status quo here has been wrong. It is mind boggling actually.

Sorry, I fiind it laughable and I am calling you on it.

However, should you be wrong, I will rub your nose in it, as I would certainly expect that if I am wrong, you will do the same.

Deal?

ColtsHappy

This is so much fun - EXACTLY the kind of crap I got last time I suggested this. Realism. Right.

I have every right to my opinion and of course, you have very right to yours and I welcome it. It's fun to agree to disagree.

It's a magical mystery tour my friends, and whether you have noticed it or not - there is a clumping together on all significant issues like bees on honey on this board. There is a certain segment on the board (the ones who consider themselves the ones "in the know") that love to pat each other on the back and basically grin and agree on many MANY issues. I wish I had the time and energy to go back and point out how many times the status quo here has been wrong. It is mind boggling actually.

However, should you be wrong, I will rub your nose in it, as I would certainly expect that if I am wrong, you will do the same.

Deal?

ColtsHappy

Sure, but the odds of you being right on this one are very remote. Did you somehow black out marvins career? Look at the numbers from 99 to 06. Those are some of the best seasons by any receiver ever.

ColtsHappy

I'm not so sure about brazil. He did make some good plays but he actually has pretty poor route running skills.

ColtsHappy

And you deserve another.

Dear God...

Actually just assume everytime you post something and I haven't given you a Dear God it is only because I have not yet seen the brilliance.

Look, next to Luck, Reggie and Mathis, T.Y. is my favorite Colt. I am very thankful he is on the roster. But you have some serious swings and misses - as you normally do - in your logic. Have your T.Y. / Marvin fantasy but back on planet earth, that comparison is noy yet ready for prime time.

But you really go off the tracks with the Brazill nonsense. That guy is just as likely to be cut this year than anything else. His roster spot is very unsettled and the comparison to 88 is comical.

And you deserve another.

Dear God...

Actually just assume everytime you post something and I haven't given you a Dear God it is only because I have not yet seen the brilliance.

Look, next to Luck, Reggie and Mathis, T.Y. is my favorite Colt. I am very thankful he is on the roster. But you have some serious swings and misses - as you normally do - in your logic. Have your T.Y. / Marvin fantasy but back on planet earth, that comparison is noy yet ready for prime time.

But you really go off the tracks with the Brazill nonsense. That guy is just as likely to be cut this year than anything else. His roster spot is very unsettled and the comparison to 88 is comical.

We shall see what we shall see.

Really simple.

Fasten your seat belt my friend - i know you don't know this - but your opinion carries no more weight than mine.

Of course, your opinion agrees with the majority on here, but it is based on logic.

There is more to truth than logic. MUCH more.

Wait and see....

ColtsHappy

Kind of makes you realize why guys like Megatron and Andre Johnson are somewhat overrated. I mean they're amazing receivers, but they have measurables that you can't coach, and it makes it impossible for them not to dominate. Marvin was 175 lbs and dominated the game. Such skill in his route running and cuts, it's something you don't see anymore. You can see Reggie learned that same knack for getting open from Marvin. Really hope that skill get's passed down to T.Y. Right now he's a burner, but he could be more if he continues to pick Reggie's brain.

All I can say is......

How about the Marvin-esque quick slant to TY with a 'pick' set by Dwayne Allen this year?

Pep...make it so!!  Ok setting picks is illegal...but then again holding Mathis on every play is too :)   :pass:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marvin was so light on his feet!!! He could start/stop on a dime! 

He always knew when to go down too...and for the most part, avoid injury. Not good for his YAC, but good for his durability. 

A bonus for me in that video was him making the Patriots secondary look like a bunch of high schoolers trying to cover him. :) 

Kind of makes you realize why guys like Megatron and Andre Johnson are somewhat overrated. I mean they're amazing receivers, but they have measurables that you can't coach, and it makes it impossible for them not to dominate. Marvin was 175 lbs and dominated the game. Such skill in his route running and cuts, it's something you don't see anymore. You can see Reggie learned that same knack for getting open from Marvin. Really hope that skill get's passed down to T.Y. Right now he's a burner, but he could be more if he continues to pick Reggie's brain.

There are so many receivers in the history of this game with the size and speed of guys like Andre Johnson (not so much Megatron; he's kind of unique) who flamed out of the league in no time flat. Remember Mike Williams? It's a marriage of skill and athletic ability that makes a receiver great. You don't dominate just because you're big and fast.

It's a magical mystery tour my friends, and whether you have noticed it or not - there is a clumping together on all significant issues like bees on honey on this board. There is a certain segment on the board (the ones who consider themselves the ones "in the know") that love to pat each other on the back and basically grin and agree on many MANY issues. I wish I had the time and energy to go back and point out how many times the status quo here has been wrong. It is mind boggling actually.

Deal?

ColtsHappy

I am not in the grouping that you're thinking of. In fact I argue with them all the time. That being said, your opinion is insane

It's a magical mystery tour my friends, and whether you have noticed it or not - there is a clumping together on all significant issues like bees on honey on this board.  There is a certain segment on the board (the ones who consider themselves the ones "in the know") that love to pat each other on the back and basically grin and agree on many MANY issues.  I wish I had the time and energy to go back and point out how many times the status quo here has been wrong. It is mind boggling actually.

Deal?

ColtsHappy

How many Marvin Harrison's do you believe have played the NFL? How many teams can say they had a receiver in their history as good as Marvin Harrison? He made circus catches look routine. Marvin's control over his body was poetic. He is one of the most coordinated people I have ever witnessed play in all of sports.

The Elite of the Elite players such as Marvin Harrison do not come around very often.

I like TY. He is an awesome player, and I love watching him play. Marvin Harrison took over games, and teams were forced to double team him, yet he still produced.

Just imagine that Marvin was on our team last year instead of TY. When Reggie went down, would our offense have sputtered so poorly? No. Marvin's numbers would have just went up.

143 catches in one year man. How sick is that? He beat the brakes off of that record.

How many Marvin Harrison's do you believe have played the NFL? How many teams can say they had a receiver in their history as good as Marvin Harrison? He made circus catches look routine. Marvin's control over his body was poetic. He is one of the most coordinated people I have ever witnessed play in all of sports.

The Elite of the Elite players such as Marvin Harrison do not come around very often.

I like TY. He is an awesome player, and I love watching him play. Marvin Harrison took over games, and teams were forced to double team him, yet he still produced.

Just imagine that Marvin was on our team last year instead of TY. When Reggie went down, would our offense have sputtered so poorly? No. Marvin's numbers would have just went up.

143 catches in one year man. How sick is that? He beat the brakes off of that record.

cris carter is probably the cloest similarity to marv. made circus catches all the time

I have spoken my peace and my posts are here for all to see and review over the next few years as the Colts head back into major glory.

Out of respect for the beloved Marvin - who of course was incredibly special - I will not post any more off-topic posts about other receivers.

Best to all,

I can't wait.

ColtsHappy

The Colts have been blessed to have two of the best route runners to ever play in Reggie and Marvin. Reggie never had the speed, but used his many skills to make opposing players look silly.

Really simple.

Fasten your seat belt my friend - i know you don't know this - but your opinion carries no more weight than mine.

Of course, your opinion agrees with the majority on here, but it is based on logic.

Wait and see....

ColtsHappy

Actually his opinion does carry more weight.... because his opinion has been proven correct more often than not, especially his opinion on when to reply to a post with "Dear God...".

There is more to truth than logic?  Truth is truth there is not more or less to it.  It's comments like that prove that jskinnz' opinion carries more weight than yours.

The funny thing is I was with you on TY.  I can see him having a career like Harrison's and becoming that WR that is almost impossible to defend.  And I think he has the added benefits of; working with Luck from the beginning (Harrison was in the league 2 years before Manning came along) and having someone like Wayne opposite him for a couple of years so he could hone his craft.  But the comment about Brazill makes you lose any credibility you may have gained.

Really simple.

Wait and see....

ColtsHappy

Funny how you like to speak on behalf of your "friend", but no, there is no grouping here! My post still stands as quoted above. Oh, but there is one BIG difference between Brazil and Marvin - and once again, I LOVE Marvin - but the truth is the truth is the truth. Brazill doesn't flop, he breaks FIVE tackles.  Count em:

And of course there is this: two touchdown passes against the Partriots in the playoffs. The man Brazill comes ALIVE in the post season. He is just one of those guys. I don't have the videos on those two, nor do I have the time. You get the idea. You DID see it right? The little fella got us BACK IN the game.

Not bad for a part timer methinks. As a full timer he will smoke and I am dying to see them both out there together watching the opposing secondaries quiver. Yes he will smoke and that is probably why you are so biased against him.

But I know this is all pap to you, due to your Spock-Like superior intelligence. I wish you both had a little wit to go along with it but - as a fellow Indiana boy used to say - "so it goes."

Truth = a lot of things in case you didn't know - logic, intelligence, fortitude, valor, conviction, patience, pure guts.

Need I go on?

I hope not this thread is tired and so am I.

We shall see what we shall see. As my boy Johnny Unitas said before every game "Talk is cheap, let's play the game".  

ColtsHappy